Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 08:41 AM   #7501
Pete Carter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numnuts View Post
I'm sure these 3 questions have been covered extensively but I can't find the answers anywhere in this thread and I've read like 90% of it's 500 pages so here goes:
1.) Are the alloy wheels tube or tubeless? I know this may be a stupid question to some but I would like to confirm that they are tubeless. (
2.) Are the turn signals self canceling? (I think I read that somewhere but I can't confirm it).
3.) Since the new GS has all the latest tech, all the latest electronics, why would they use the Garmin Zumo/BMW NavIV GPS? This Nav system is rather dated, isn't it? I'm sure the software has all been updated but its the only thing on this bike thats rather outdated by now, all the new cool stuff on this bike and my GPS will be old school.
Having just bought a new one I can answer:
1. yes alloys are tubeless
2. yes turn signals are self canceling
3. unfortunately, the top of the line Garmin 665LM with satellite radio does NOT work in the BMW bracket.
Pete Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:50 AM   #7502
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
I'm sure these 3 questions have been covered extensively but I can't find the answers anywhere in this thread and I've read like 90% of it's 500 pages so here goes:
1.) Are the alloy wheels tube or tubeless? I know this may be a stupid question to some but I would like to confirm that they are tubeless. (
2.) Are the turn signals self canceling? (I think I read that somewhere but I can't confirm it).
3.) Since the new GS has all the latest tech, all the latest electronics, why would they use the Garmin Zumo/BMW NavIV GPS? This Nav system is rather dated, isn't it? I'm sure the software has all been updated but its the only thing on this bike thats rather outdated by now, all the new cool stuff on this bike and my GPS will be old school.
Well let me verify this third with tiny more details.

1. All boxer GSes at least for the last 10 years (I think more) use tubeless tires both in their alloy configuration (1200GS) AND spoke wheel configuration (special wheel where the spokes end in the outer side of the rim).

2. Yes (again for the last 8 years at least).

3. Good question. There should be a few options. If it were for me I would install a full fecking tablet on this (I mean come on... the cost IS comparable - esp. with Android ones). Actually I might. New Sony Xperia Z Tablet (hate Sony but anyway) is IP55/IP57 certified (dust and water proof)... hmmmmmm.... RAM Mount? RU there?
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:51 AM   #7503
MaxReving
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserlover View Post
i put my deposit down on the water cooled in october last year. like the rest of you i have been reading and watching videos while the long wait continues. i was just told today that the first shipment will be delayed another month.
in thailand the bike fully loaded is 1,222,222.00 baht. [about 43,000.00 usd]. there are only 4 dealers here all controlled by the same group. the price is non-negotiable. also whatever bmw thailand orders is what you get. for me that means premium plus package with low seat option. i am 6'ft tall. so i have to buy a normal seat in addition. they add the wire wheels with that as well. ok not great but if you want it is what it is. here i can't even demo the bike and can't order the bike the way i want.
here's the thing. bmw has grown in my opinion some huge balls. it does not tell anyone when the bikes are coming and in everyones case has taken money with a promise. a promise that can be broken at any given time. i am in the import export business. if i want to ship something somewhere i have to provide documents to the government and customs deptments on both sides of the oceans. that means what it is, the price, the weight, the color, materials,etc. bmw does not know how many bikes they will ship and when? WTF? am i not entitled to at least a little courtesy? what about you? customers of mine would sue me if pulled that crap.
anyway i have some good news and some bad news. the good news is that the babes here are looking as hot as you can imagine and they are plentiful. the bad news is i was very disappointed by some of the things on the bike. the first thing i saw after the babe on the bike was the wire spoke wheels. this finish on the rims is at best 3rd rate. tumbled and sandblasted with a glass bead finish. [a way to make it frosty] the cheapest way to create an even finish. the same goes for the chrome exhaust. looked cheap and inappropriate . ok on a chinese bike i expect it. bmw castle in the sky has just moved to bejing. the best of the hall of shame will have to go the sidestand design the front part of it maybe decribes it all. it is sand casted!!! best of all it not even finished just painted. all the weld joints were sloppy at best. it is a joke.
ergonomics of the dash suck as well. gps mount does block the tach as previously posted. some jackass was in charge of that foe sure. the dash is much smaller than i thought it would be. it looks to small for the scale of the bike. that goes for the windshield as well. good on a honda scooter maybe. to each their own.
i'm thinking ducati right now. demo,yes. order what you want,yes. price is 30% cheaper and looks just as good. delivered may 1-7 yes. what do you think? former fanboy
Competition is good and monopoly is not in the customers' interest. It is a shame that you live in a country where there is no real competition between dealers. You express great dissatisfaction with the treatment you have been given until now, but you should perhaps also think about the future of service you can expect from these people when you have to purchase parts or need help to have your motorcycle serviced.

If the situation really is as you describe, then it will be totally unwise to buy a new BMW 1200GS LC.

You also express great dissatisfaction with the quality of both materials, manufacturing processes and functionality, yet have you put down a payment several months ago on a motorcycle you have not seen until now and furthermore you have not yet test ridden it but you still criticize several features on the motorcycle.

It would probably be better for you to find another motorcycle brand, where retailers offer better service and where you can test ride multiple variants and order just the motorcycle of your dreams. Whether it's a Ducati, I will let you decide, but it's certainly not a BMW 1200GS LC.

Get your deposit on the 1200GS LC back as soon as possible and start researching the market.

Max :-)
MaxReving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:51 AM   #7504
airhawk1
Asspad Tycoon

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
I have this setup and can say that it's nice to be able to scroll through and operate the menus with the "I Drive" that's on the left grip. It has all of the features that you need for this kind of bike and it works well with my Scala G9.
Road King Custom
airhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #7505
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserlover View Post
i'm thinking ducati right now. demo,yes. order what you want,yes. price is 30% cheaper and looks just as good. delivered may 1-7 yes. what do you think? former fanboy
As much as I want my new GS, I definitely wouldn't take this kind of crap. I would write a letter to my BMW dealer, BMW import and BMW Germany, explaining that you ordered a new GS, but now have chosen for a Ducati, with all of its reasons..
As long as you (and others) put up with this, they'll keep going on and treat you like some unwanted minority
268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:19 AM   #7506
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
I won't discuss the quality issues you mention (I don't agree about BMW quality being bad - on the contrary).
Hmm. You won't be discussing it but then you do? It's one way of ignoring critics - tell them you won't discuss their statement, state your opinion as the one truth, be done with it.

At least that's what it feels like.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #7507
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxReving View Post
The new anti-theft alarm does NOT come with a remote.

Is this any good. I think so. Auto activation is simple. Turn off ignition and take out key and walk away. Alarm is on. Insert key and turn on ignition. Alarm is off. Manually turn on and off alarm with two clicks in onboard computer.
Here in the UK, BMW will supply the alarm fob for 20.

I can see the benefits of auto activation, but as I only ride at weekends, I'm going to have to remember to turn off auto activation every Sunday night, as I don't want a flat battery the following weekend. Or can the alarm be left on for weeks if I don't ride, without flattening the battery?
Old 03-27-2013, 09:48 AM   #7508
MaxReving
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
3. Good question. There should be a few options. If it were for me I would install a full fecking tablet on this (I mean come on... the cost IS comparable - esp. with Android ones). Actually I might. New Sony Xperia Z Tablet (hate Sony but anyway) is IP55/IP57 certified (dust and water proof)... hmmmmmm.... RAM Mount? RU there?

2014 1200GS LC

Old 03-27-2013, 09:53 AM   #7509
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,934
Quote:

2014 1200GS LC

That won't get stolen
Old 03-27-2013, 10:11 AM   #7510
MaxReving
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
That won't get stolen
and the ability to surf online on the Internet will not put road safety at risk

Old 03-27-2013, 10:15 AM   #7511
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Quote:
and the ability to surf online on the Internet will not put road safety at risk

I was rather thinking of watching a movie in split screen and use the other half for the navigation...

Don't forget the touchpad instead of the multicontroller.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:27 AM   #7512
MaxReving
Gnarly Adventurer

Sorry for bringing this up again. It is regarding the TPM (Tire Pressure Monitor) system on the new 1200GS LC.

Anyone got info on this:

According to the users manual then the default pressure is 2.5 (front) and 2.9 (rear). When fitting knobby tires and riding off-road some may want a lot lower pressure.

1) Is it possible to change these default pressure settings for the TPM ?
2) If yes, then how is it done? User managed or only by the dealer?

Any comments and/or links are welcome.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #7513
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,547
Wicked

Quote:

2014 1200GS LC

needs a big stereo and air bags and queen seat and wet bar... lets think big here
Racegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #7514
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
How are you new owners satisfied with the new F700 style mirror coverage, Iv'e read that some say it's limited compared to the round ones?
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:27 AM   #7515
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
Here in the UK, BMW will supply the alarm fob for 20.

I can see the benefits of auto activation, but as I only ride at weekends, I'm going to have to remember to turn off auto activation every Sunday night, as I don't want a flat battery the following weekend. Or can the alarm be left on for weeks if I don't ride, without flattening the battery?
I'd think so, at least that's what I do. I'm activating the alarm when parking the motorcycle in the garage. If it's for a week then I plug in my trickle charger.
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote