Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #7516
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
How are you new owners satisfied with the new F700 style mirror coverage, Iv'e read that some say it's limited compared to the round ones?
Based on my test ride, I like them much better....a wider field of view and they vibrate much less. I think they also look more updated. However, I think the mounts are interchangeable so you could swap with someone that has a camhead I'm sure, if you don't like them.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #7517
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Hmm. You won't be discussing it but then you do? It's one way of ignoring critics - tell them you won't discuss their statement, state your opinion as the one truth, be done with it.

At least that's what it feels like.
I won't discuss means I won't go on to discuss about them (countering points or whatever). How is this difficult to understand?
Then a single phrase to state my opinion, is far from saying this is the One Truth. Don't put words in my mouth. I never even posed as an expert, so you are knocking the wrong door. It is my truth as his opinion is his truth and surely your opinion is your truth.

What I wonder though is why you needed to act as his lawyer.
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #7518
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
That won't get stolen
Yeah at least not for 30 secs.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:48 AM   #7519
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Based on my test ride, I like them much better....a wider field of view and they vibrate much less. I think they also look more updated. However, I think the mounts are interchangeable so you could swap with someone that has a camhead I'm sure, if you don't like them.
I like the looks as well, should they not reach out that far, we can always get these aircraft aluminum - CNC machined extenders for $50 each :-)
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #7520
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
I like the looks as well, should they not reach out that far, we can always get these aircraft aluminum - CNC machined extenders for $50 each :-)
True, but if the camhead mirrors work for you, these will be even better so I don't think most people will need an extender.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #7521
NLS
My bike needs washing...

AFAIK the threads are pretty much universal nowadays so you can mount any mirror you like (from me a mopped or whatever).
The important thing are the reports that they vibrate less.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:19 PM   #7522
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,931
Quote:
How are you new owners satisfied with the new F700 style mirror coverage, Iv'e read that some say it's limited compared to the round ones?
I find them much better than the lollipops. I even fitted these to my triple black last year, and they made a HUGE difference.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #7523
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
It is my truth as his opinion is his truth and surely your opinion is your truth.
Interesting definition of truth, I'd define it the other way around - it's his opinion, your opinion, my opinion. The truth is probably something completely different ...

Btw: the perceived quality of the bike I have ridden last weekend was excellent. Definitely a step (at least one) above my Triumph. A lot more thought in a lot more places.

But to even build my own opinion on the actual quality of the bike I'd have to own it for a while and wrench on it to see how everything holds up.

Quote:
What I wonder though is why you needed to act as his lawyer.
You're misunderstanding - it was less about "acting as a lawyer" for somebody (no interest in that) as I was kind of taken back by that "there is no truth but mine and I won't discuss that with anyone who has a different opinion" attitude that I read into your posting.

Good to know you didn't mean it that way. It shows again that it's hard to get thing across to a wide audience with just writing a few words.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #7524
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
I liked them on the test ride. I knew them from the F800GS I had before the R1200GS and always wanted to swap out the round ones for them, but never got it. Have a similar form on the Tiger and like the form (looks and function) better than the round ones.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:04 PM   #7525
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,199
Even though one might think that oil-threads was a thing of the past, the first one mentioning the wethead has been spotted.
To try to be a tiny bit in front of the wave, could someone who has an actual Owner Manual at hand, please, quote In Verbatim and In Extensio what it says about oil.
Including, naturally, temperature ranges, viscosity and quality.

I will, after verification, add it to the GSpot FAQ:

However, if this will increase or decrease the number of oil-threads is not at all obvious

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #7526
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Interesting definition of truth, I'd define it the other way around - it's his opinion, your opinion, my opinion. The truth is probably something completely different ...

Yes this is something I can agree.

Btw: the perceived quality of the bike I have ridden last weekend was excellent. Definitely a step (at least one) above my Triumph. A lot more thought in a lot more places.

Also true. My own opinion is formed by just "checking out" the new bike, plus my PERSONAL (how can I make this more clear) experience with BMW models so far.

But to even build my own opinion on the actual quality of the bike I'd have to own it for a while and wrench on it to see how everything holds up.

Yes, still this can apply the other way around: That guy couldn't possibly judge the quality of the bike either, based on your statement.

You're misunderstanding - it was less about "acting as a lawyer" for somebody (no interest in that) as I was kind of taken back by that "there is no truth but mine and I won't discuss that with anyone who has a different opinion" attitude that I read into your posting.

Good to know you didn't mean it that way. It shows again that it's hard to get thing across to a wide audience with just writing a few words.
So you were not acting a lawyer and I was not talking as preacher of the One And Only Truth. OK. Let's return to WC GS.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:08 PM   #7527
flightestman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Important!!! Does Anyon Know if the R1200GS can be traced back with replaced parts?

The dealer told only the R1200GS has a unique chassie number and the engine has unique number but nothing else on the bike is unique and can not be traced back as it was changed with parts from accident or drop. Does anyone know for if that is true. I can find contact link BMWMotorrad to ask them.
flightestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #7528
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagesk View Post
Even though one might think that oil-threads was a thing of the past, the first one mentioning the wethead has been spotted.
To try to be a tiny bit in front of the wave, could someone who has an actual Owner Manual at hand, please, quote In Verbatim and In Extensio what it says about oil.
Including, naturally, temperature ranges, viscosity and quality.

I will, after verification, add it to the GSpot FAQ:

However, if this will increase or decrease the number of oil-threads is not at all obvious

[TaSK]
You can do that yourself. The manual is a PDF you can download from BMW.

I have the Greek version readily available so I cannot copy paste something you can understand.
But I can say the following:

4.2lt full, 0,95lt (up from 0.5 in our old GS) from top to bottom of glass window.
Suggested oil: Castrol Power 1 Racing SAE 5W-40, API SL / JASO MA2
Old 03-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #7529
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightestman View Post
The dealer told only the R1200GS has a unique chassie number and the engine has unique number but nothing else on the bike is unique and can not be traced back as it was changed with parts from accident or drop. Does anyone know for if that is true. I can find contact link BMWMotorrad to ask them.
Yes this is true.
As is true for like 99.9% of vehicles I am aware.

So you are saying the you expect that someone would stamp a unique number on a tiny plastic cover in case someone steals it?

If there is such a vehicle, please enlighten me (really).
Old 03-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #7530
madefrtv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Quote:
AFAIK the threads are pretty much universal nowadays so you can mount any mirror you like (from me a mopped or whatever).
The important thing are the reports that they vibrate less.
I found them to vibrate a lot less. And they worked great. Granted I'm not super wide.

Also. Picking up a thunder grey bike this weekend. Opted not to wait. Getting cruise and heated grips. Totally pumped.

whoa, dude...
madefrtv is offline   Reply With Quote