Old 03-28-2013, 02:38 PM   #7621
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximo de la maximus View Post
[IMG]image[/IMG]

[IMG]image[/IMG]

a) soft and smooth clutch. Lacks the old "sweet spot" from the dry clutch but that's not a bad thing. On low speed turns in dirt you can't "tickle" the cam effect cuz it's not there...it's completely progressive.
Can't quite decipher this. Is the new clutch easily modulated like the dry clutch? The tractor like power and perfect clutch action are the hallmark of what makes the GS so adept hooking up and negotiating technical terrain. Hope they didn't screw this up.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #7622
MaxReving
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
I was told when I collected the bike that there would be an alarm remote, but they were waiting for confirmation from BMW. If your dealer heard that there won't be one two days ago, then go with that. It's a bit if a shame though, as I like to have both options.
Thanks for your answer. I haven't been able to find the "optional remote" in the WebEPC (BMW Motorrad Electronic Parts Catalogue). The parts numbers for the anti-theft alarm for the new 1200GS LC (K50) and the alarm unit for the former 1200GS (K25) is NOT the same. In the catalogue it shows a remote unit for the former 1200GS (K25) but not for the new 1200GS LC (K50). I tend to believe that you will not be able to get a remote for the 1200GS LC (K50) anti-theft alarm system.

Max :-)
MaxReving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #7623
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
Can't quite decipher this. Is the new clutch easily modulated like the dry clutch? The tractor like power and perfect clutch action are the hallmark of what makes the GS so adept hooking up and negotiating technical terrain. Hope they didn't screw this up.
I don't think the clutch is going to be as much of an issue in technical terrain as is the touchy throttle....at least the one on the stripper bike I rode without ride modes.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #7624
kindofblue
Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer: 822
The first Red LC GS in Abq NM

Look what followed me home today

I've been reading about the new GS for a while now but wasn't going to get one without a test ride. Did that yesterday and Sandia BMW had a red GS w/ESA that nobody had reserved. Triumph Explorer is now up for sale.

Do I look like a happy camper or what?

Get saddlesore when riding? Check these shorts out

kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #7625
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxReving View Post
Thanks for your answer. I haven't been able to find the "optional remote" in the WebEPC (BMW Motorrad Electronic Parts Catalogue). The parts numbers for the anti-theft alarm for the new 1200GS LC (K50) and the alarm unit for the former 1200GS (K25) is NOT the same. In the catalogue it shows a remote unit for the former 1200GS (K25) but not for the new 1200GS LC (K50). I tend to believe that you will not be able to get a remote for the 1200GS LC (K50) anti-theft alarm system.

Max :-)
That's a shame, I'd prefer to not have to go through the menus every week, but guess I'll get used to it
Old 03-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #7626
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
We'll see.

I give 0% for Fall 2013 and 30% for Spring 2014.
Most likely Spring 2015.

BMW sales fantastically crisis or no crisis, competition or no competition.
They have a model that works and follow... for ever.
and that being said they don't have to rely on the bikes... they always make the big bucks out of the cars. That's why they treat their motorcycle section as "Stiefkinder"

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #7627
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindofblue View Post

I've been reading about the new GS for a while now but wasn't going to get one without a test ride. Did that yesterday and Sandia BMW had a red GS w/ESA that nobody had reserved. Triumph Explorer is now up for sale.

Nice bike, congrats. So what's the full spec of yours?
Old 03-28-2013, 03:29 PM   #7628
dsavage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
new gs

Bought one yesterday from Lonestar in Austin. Rode it 200 miles today on the best roads Central Texas has to offer. In the more than 60 bikes I have owned and the four other GS's this is by far the best and most fun one ever. I have read complaints and concerns over the throttle response, suspension, and the other nit picky issues we can all find with a bike. However, this time BMW got it right. Really right.
dsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #7629
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
I like it too!
Sometimes I'm wondering if BMW could have done something different with the beak?
When it first appeared on the Suzuki DR800 (Dr. Big) I didn't like the beak but gotten used to it I guess.

tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #7630
Sal61
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by antwerp View Post
The pre-enjoyment of waiting should still be on your site
Yeah, yeah..
Sal61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #7631
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
Quote:

Very nice...congratulations. Looking forward to hearing reports back (and I'm jealous at the difference in weather between you and me right now).
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #7632
EJ_92606
Rider

Quote:

Awesome! What options did you get? And give us a comparison of it with the explorer when you have time.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:31 PM   #7633
EJ_92606
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsavage View Post
Bought one yesterday from Lonestar in Austin. Rode it 200 miles today on the best roads Central Texas has to offer. In the more than 60 bikes I have owned and the four other GS's this is by far the best and most fun one ever. I have read complaints and concerns over the throttle response, suspension, and the other nit picky issues we can all find with a bike. However, this time BMW got it right. Really right.
Congrats...post up some pics when you can. Does yours have the ride modes? No complaints about the throttle ?
Old 03-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #7634
ktrout01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
If I trade in all three bikes I may have a decent down payment. Maybe freeing up the garage space will convince the wife.

2003 BMW F650GS
ktrout01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #7635
Jaqen H'ghar
Valar Morgoulis

Oddometer: 196
When I order mine soon, maybe this Saturday, I will order it with the alloy wheels, I do like the spoke wheels but they are only available at this time in the silver finish, now if they had the option to get them in the black finish like the old GSA's wheels, that would look really good, especially in Thunder Gray, but that's not going to be doable until the GSA version comes out in a year or two, then I'll order a set of GSA wheels in black. The new GS W/C has different size wheels then the GSA of yesteryear so its alloy for now.
I wonder how much Woody's wheels would charge to......nevermind, I don't have that much $$$.

2014 R1200 RT
Jaqen H'ghar is offline   Reply With Quote