Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 01:37 PM   #7696
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
So, I picked mine up around noon and and had a 4 hour drive. After about 30km I felt right at home and confident (I am coming from an F800ST). I have to say: awesome bike, easy to drive, great windscreen for me and the sound is quite good. No complaints so far. I just need to get acquainted with the trottle response, it is quite direct and the engine likes to rev.

IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:56 PM   #7697
antwerp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
So, I picked mine up around noon and and had a 4 hour drive. After about 30km I felt right at home and confident (I am coming from an F800ST). I have to say: awesome bike, easy to drive, great windscreen for me and the sound is quite good. No complaints so far. I just need to get acquainted with the trottle response, it is quite direct and the engine likes to rev.

Woohoo!!! Congrats IB may the wind be on your back, and sun high in the sky whenever you take this beauty of of your garage
antwerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #7698
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,701
Guys just a suggestion.
Don't repeat the same photos in two (or more?) threads.
Better keeps the pics in the main "pics" thread (the other thread) and put here a link to it.
(or maybe one photo here is enough)
Would be cleaner I think.
(esp. with people not using quotes properly after the posts... )
Again, just a suggestion.
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:23 PM   #7699
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by antwerp View Post
Woohoo!!! Congrats IB may the wind be on your back, and sun high in the sky whenever you take this beauty of of your garage
For those nice belgian backroads soft is the best suspensionsetting. Tried it on the cobblestones and the suspension worked brilliantly.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:36 PM   #7700
antwerp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
For those nice belgian backroads soft is the best suspensionsetting. Tried it on the cobblestones and the suspension worked brilliantly.
Hehe, hope to try it out myself next week. Those wheels sure look nice on the t-grey
antwerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:27 PM   #7701
carlsberger
ManyPauser

Oddometer: 39
looks good thanks for the advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serp View Post
I had the dealer install a Powerlett Socket for me on the left side before leaving with the bike. It took them less than 1/2 an hour.

Thanks much that will work for sure CC
Old 03-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #7702
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,701
Now this is interesting (to some)...

NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #7703
bikewise
n00b

Oddometer: 3
awsome

First service completed, bike is fantastic, no instability, all just overhyped horseshit. Heated grips not as good as previous model, gear shift awkward but I will get used to it. Engine incredible, very responsive, not snatchy just sensitive. I have been following this thread for some time with interest and I have to respond to a post as there is one guy on here who has an opinion on everything.

Mod edit: Keep it civil. Read the posted rules.

GB screwed with this post 03-29-2013 at 05:29 PM
bikewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:41 PM   #7704
bolderboulder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximo de la maximus View Post
sorry boulder... i thought i heard the guys say there were more coming this/next week?
Just got the call from the dealer!!!

Now I have to figure out how to not lose sleep tonight and prevent myself from going too absent minded at my son's egghunt tomorrow morning.....
bolderboulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:02 PM   #7705
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
I've just spent the afternoon on my LC, and cannot stop smiling. Dymanic mode is AWESOME I kept thinking "must stop and take pictures" but sorry folks, I couldn't stop riding. Another day out tomorrow (all day this time), so I'll try and get some snaps
Did the same on the 2010. Can't wait to get the new boxer. Pressing the starter button on the old is some kind of adventure, you never know what happens, will the engine start (usually does right away) or will it simply stop? I mean starting the old engine feels like starting a tractor and I hear the new starts like a motorcycle engine without going through what feels like a monumental effort :-D

tallguy-09 screwed with this post 03-29-2013 at 08:58 PM
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:05 PM   #7706
maximo de la maximus
Abracadabra Holmes

Oddometer: 56
bikes in...

Congrats Bolder- that's awesome. Glad it wasn't too much more of a wait. Tell us how you like it.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:57 PM   #7707
coffee_addict
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Dynamic ESA and rider weight

I've been lurking for a while, now I have a question finally :-)

Please bear with my lack of experience with motorcycles - I've actually never owned one, but have completed a rider training course.

I've read the whole thread but don't think I've seen any detail on the following:

Does the ESA compensate at all for rider weight - I know there are front and rear sensors that detect suspension travel (and more?), I would think the computer might automatically compensate for additional weight on the bike causing more suspension travel and stiffen things up?

Thanks
coffee_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #7708
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,458
where is the catalytic converter located... before muffler or in it?
Racegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #7709
Serp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Great 250 km ride today around the Port Renfrew, Lake Cowichan loop. I noticed the clutch and brake have rotary lever adjustment settings from 1 to 4. The clutch was set at 4 and I found it wouldn't engage until it was near the end of releasing (the lever). I set it to 1 and now it's perfect for me - the clutch engages as I start to release the lever.

Much of the roads we were on today were very twisty and the bike handles absolutely incredible!

Laguna Seca MotoGP Trips-06/07/08/09/10/11/12/13
NP Trips-Glacier/Yellowstone/GTs/Bryce/Zion/GC/Joshua/Yosemite/Lassen/Crater Lake
Serp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #7710
maximo de la maximus
Abracadabra Holmes

Oddometer: 56
RE: does the ESA compensate:

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee_addict View Post
I've been lurking for a while, now I have a question finally :-)

Please bear with my lack of experience with motorcycles - I've actually never owned one, but have completed a rider training course.

I've read the whole thread but don't think I've seen any detail on the following:

Does the ESA compensate at all for rider weight - I know there are front and rear sensors that detect suspension travel (and more?), I would think the computer might automatically compensate for additional weight on the bike causing more suspension travel and stiffen things up?

Thanks
Yes, using the ESA you can adjust to load. Specifically, while at a stand still you can adjust pre load to 3 different settings: single rider, single rider and luggage, or pillion and luggage. You can also adjust damping (even while on the fly) to 3 settings: soft, normal, or hard. My wife prefers the hard. In enduro/enduro pro you only have hard and soft options. It's very slick and noticably works...additionally, in conjunction with the different engine mapping options (road, enduro, enduro pro, rain, dynamic) seems to make some very effective combinations. Throw in the now easy braking and stability adjustments and you can go old school real fast.

I'm told you can "adjust the mode preferences" but haven't gotte that far yet.

Oh yea, in dynamic ESA as well as other ESA/MODE combos the bike's sensors "detects movements of the running gear and responds to them by adjusting the damper valves. As a result, the running gear is adjusted to the conditions of the ground" - according to BMW.

maximo de la maximus screwed with this post 03-29-2013 at 08:24 PM
maximo de la maximus is offline   Reply With Quote