Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 12:40 AM   #7756
Bish Bosh
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Does anyone know when the new adv will be out?

I currently have the 2012 triple black which i love but would be interested knowing when the new watercooled version is out?

Are there any spy shot anywhere?
Bish Bosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:57 AM   #7757
GGR
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
+1. I usually add an Akra to my bikes but the new GS's OEM exhaust sounds fantastic.
At high revs it's great, but at low revs you barely hear it. And that is something I value when splitting traffic. Not sure whether that is really better with the remus, or akra.
GGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:59 AM   #7758
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxReving View Post
Akra can be bought in Germany for 819 euro (Autohaus Kirsch).

http://www.bmw-kirsch.de/onlineshop/...--03-2013.html

Max :-)
Lieferzeit : Nicht Lieferbar...
I'll be in this area next Friday. Will surely pay him a visit and check delivery times
268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:01 AM   #7759
GGR
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
I doubt Remus is better from the Akra. It is more "mainstream" though.
Akra is pretty much considered the best brand (maybe along with Yoshimura that I don't think makes a GS exhaust).
My GS favorite was BOS though. Let see if those guys come up with something.
Define best. Personally I like the looks of the Remus much better than the Akra.

I also contacted Bos a few weeks ago, but they can't confirm anything so far.
GGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:10 AM   #7760
T@z
Belgian beers drinker

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by antwerp View Post
http://www.gpproducts.nl/defaultx.asp?page=products
thought I found it here. 780 without taxes for the 2013 GS.
could they still talk about the 2012 series..

It's the Akra sold by BMW.
T@z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:29 AM   #7761
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGR View Post
At high revs it's great, but at low revs you barely hear it. And that is something I value when splitting traffic. Not sure whether that is really better with the remus, or akra.
I thought that the GS sounded pretty good at low revs for a stock pipe but you'd know better than me. I seem to remember that some people were disabling the flapper valve on the last gen GS so it stayed open at low rpms. Maybe the same mod can be made to the new one.

I go aftermarket pretty much for the same reason that you've cited. Not sure if any of the new street legal aftermarket exhausts are going to sound that much louder than stock but the Akra on my Super Tenere is definitely bassier at low RPMs than the OEM muffler even though they have the same decibel rating. Cars seem to notice my presence a bit more.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:33 AM   #7762
MaxReving
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bish Bosh View Post
I currently have the 2012 triple black which i love but would be interested knowing when the new watercooled version is out?

Are there any spy shot anywhere?
Ain't seen any and doubt that you will find any.

The "Trible Black" version is a campaign model and it is doubtful that BMW Motorrad will repeat this particular campaign model with the new water-cooled 1200GS. Both car and motorcycle manufacturers try to extend the life cycle of their product models by introducing various campaign and anniversary editions. For the air/oil-cooled 1200GS is has been the Trible Black, the red Rallye version and now finally a 90 year anniversary edition of the 1200GS Adventure. You will probably not within the next three to four years see any campaign or anniversary editions of the new 1200GS LC. That is just my guess but then again I might be wrong.

MaxReving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:42 AM   #7763
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by madefrtv View Post
First service includes a final drive spill and fill. As its my first boxer, I don't know if that's new, but I'm glad to know that the fluid will be fresh after the run-in.
300 miles on the clock and still happy as a clam, only problem is I have to stop to pee.
Yes I think this is new. Thanks.
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:43 AM   #7764
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA5IB View Post
MSRP on the Remus is $899.

A&S Cycle lists the BMW/Akra at $1329.
!?!?!? This is WAY UP from the price I found.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:52 AM   #7765
MaxReving
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by antwerp View Post
Lieferzeit : Nicht Lieferbar...
I'll be in this area next Friday. Will surely pay him a visit and check delivery times
Seams as if the Akra exhaust and lots of other accessories are on back order worldwide. It has again come as a surprise that there actually are customers who are willing to splash the cash to get new toys despite the financial crisis

One more idea to those that can't get enough farkles:

Source: www.wunderlich.de

Nice spoiler. German engineering

Old 03-31-2013, 03:59 AM   #7766
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGR View Post
Define best. Personally I like the looks of the Remus much better than the Akra.

I also contacted Bos a few weeks ago, but they can't confirm anything so far.
Not an exhaust expert, but that is the general feeling from experts I have asked (btw local exhaust experts are REALLY REALLY experts - tuning is done by very talented people in Greece - for 2 and 4 wheels).
"Better", I'd say means that it can squeeze a bit more HP and/or torque where it matters. Means build quality, shape of tubes, welding smooth, tuned specifically for the bike etc.
Then again exhaust preference is possibly a subjective matter (at least until someone takes most of them and measure the same byke on the same dyno with all of them, check sound, real weight etc.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:09 AM   #7767
MaxReving
Gnarly Adventurer

Old 03-31-2013, 06:35 AM   #7768
djodja
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
New or "old"

Hi all,

I'm trying to make up my mind between '13 and "old" '12 GS and I would like you to help me decide.

Here is the thing. I never owned BMW. Rode friends '06 1200 GS on few occasions (total 200-300km) and I liked the bike very much. Currently I have '09 Triumph Tiger 1050 (never missed a beat) which I'm selling to buy new bike. Initial idea was Explorer but recently I changed my mind and decided to "risk it" and go with BMW.

Long story short, now I have two choices (after Tiger is sold). First to buy '12 Rallye with 17.000 km on it and fully equipped or just to go for the new model. Price vise, difference is 2-3K EUR which I could handle. What do you suggest, should I go with '12 and why (one of the reasons in my head is that we are talking about machine which was tested for 8 years (2004-2012)) or should I just bite it and go for the new one?

What do you think?
djodja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:47 AM   #7769
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by djodja View Post
Hi all,

I'm trying to make up my mind between '13 and "old" '12 GS and I would like you to help me decide.

Here is the thing. I never owned BMW. Rode friends '06 1200 GS on few occasions (total 200-300km) and I liked the bike very much. Currently I have '09 Triumph Tiger 1050 (never missed a beat) which I'm selling to buy new bike. Initial idea was Explorer but recently I changed my mind and decided to "risk it" and go with BMW.

Long story short, now I have two choices (after Tiger is sold). First to buy '12 Rallye with 17.000 km on it and fully equipped or just to go for the new model. Price vise, difference is 2-3K EUR which I could handle. What do you suggest, should I go with '12 and why (one of the reasons in my head is that we are talking about machine which was tested for 8 years (2004-2012)) or should I just bite it and go for the new one?

What do you think?
Well, the GSW is much faster with a lot of convenient electronics, if you're going to join the BMW bandwagon might was well start there unless you have a RTW trip planned.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:48 AM   #7770
kindofblue
Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer: 822
Thanks, I'll take a look at that. After posting about this I checked out the Touratech bags for the LC GS and saw how they wrap their straps around the support for the front of the seat. That might work too but I haven't had a chance to check it out.

With all the other farkling there is to do, I'd be happy to stick with my Wolfman bag...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximo de la maximus View Post
I just modified my 'held' tank bag which also has 2 straps. Pick one of two pairs of screws available (the 2 directly toward 6 oclock and the two more lateral but still under the seat) and cut the straps to length. Melt a very small hole in the nylon, add a small washer, and screw 'em down permanent like. Mine are pretty thick rubber so didn't have to use a washer; just screwed them thru the existing buckle hole. When I take the tank bag off I can just tuck the straps and velcro between the seat and tank- easy peasy, low profile, uber secure, and very clean This is of course if you don't want to replace your wolfman (or get another with 2 straps). IF you need a reason to upgrade, well, I completely understand and I'm sure there's something designed to fit in that little catch area between teh 6oclock screws I referenced.
Get saddlesore when riding? Check these shorts out

kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote