ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #7921
fennel
Adventurer
 
fennel's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
How is it adjusted? Can the bracket be moved up or is the GPS tilted at a different angle?
Unscrewed the bracket, moved up a bit than rescrewed it

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
fennel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #7922
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Fruit County in Golden State, USA
Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marki_GSA View Post
Nooooo you have it all wrong. The BMW design is perfect in every way, it's the taller people that are the poor design
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
I have to agree, it works perfectly for me.
with 30" inseam, I think my concern was the height, well, BMW listened and made low suspections with ESA. I was on tipie-toe on standard with low seat.
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #7923
EJ_92606
Rider
 
EJ_92606's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by fennel View Post
Unscrewed the bracket, moved up a bit than rescrewed it

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Excellent...glad to hear it's adjustable
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #7924
EJ_92606
Rider
 
EJ_92606's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk View Post
For Canadians and other European countries, you'll most likely see only the Km/hr scale. However, in the US, it has both Km/hr and MPH, thereby cluttering the speedometer, especially when the size is small to begin with. I don't think Germen testers noted that, because they were riding with Km/hr scale.
However, you can program the display to show a digital speed output which is nice.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #7925
IB1
Beastly Adventurer
 
IB1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Brussels
Oddometer: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk View Post
with 30" inseam, I think my concern was the height, well, BMW listened and made low suspections with ESA. I was on tipie-toe on standard with low seat.
Same here, but sitting on mine I get the impression they forgot the low seat. But I can ride it without a problem. Perhaps my 2" boots help.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #7926
IB1
Beastly Adventurer
 
IB1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Brussels
Oddometer: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
However, you can program the display to show a digital speed output which is nice.
Haven't found that in the user manual yet.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #7927
NLS
My bike needs washing...
 
NLS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: GREECE!
Oddometer: 3,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk View Post
For Canadians and other European countries, you'll most likely see only the Km/hr scale. However, in the US, it has both Km/hr and MPH, thereby cluttering the speedometer, especially when the size is small to begin with. I don't think Germen testers noted that, because they were riding with Km/hr scale.
Bad design I tell ya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
Haven't found that in the user manual yet.
It's there. Page 50-something.
__________________
NLS
My Blog
When the going gets tough, the tough get going...
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #7928
MaxReving
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MaxReving's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: On The Twisty Roads
Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk View Post
with 30" inseam, I think my concern was the height, well, BMW listened and made low suspections with ESA. I was on tipie-toe on standard with low seat.
My next door neighbor Gene Simmons have got these for sale. So if you are interested then I am sure that you can get them for a good price. They may help you with your tipie-toe issue

Sorry. I just had to.

Max :-)

MaxReving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #7929
paulW
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Wirral, UK
Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by fennel View Post
Unscrewed the bracket, moved up a bit than rescrewed it

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Does this answer the question - Can the bracket be moved up or is the GPS tilted at a different angle?

I was under the impression that it could only be tilted (which I have done to mine) NOT moved higher?? I will have another look in the morning.
paulW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #7930
EJ_92606
Rider
 
EJ_92606's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
Haven't found that in the user manual yet.
Just checked page 50 in the US manual per NLS' suggestion and it is explained there.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #7931
EJ_92606
Rider
 
EJ_92606's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulW View Post
Does this answer the question - Can the bracket be moved up or is the GPS tilted at a different angle?

I was under the impression that it could only be tilted (which I have done to mine) NOT moved higher?? I will have another look in the morning.
Good point...are we talking about the plastic GPS bracket being moved up or what appears to be a black metal bar that supports the GPS bracket being moved up? I assumed he was talking about the metal bar but now that you mention it, it's not clear.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #7932
MaxReving
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MaxReving's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: On The Twisty Roads
Oddometer: 257
New video. Some riding scenes from Hechlingen Enduro Park and the area around there. Language is dutch, so if you are not from there then some guesswork and hand gestures de-coding is required.



Max :-)
MaxReving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #7933
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.
 
BOOTLACE's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Methane Central..(Sth Gippsland)
Oddometer: 3,929
A little vid explaining setup

http://www.mcnews.com.au/Testing/BMW...ideo_Guide.htm

The guy doing the talking is Miles Davis. (True!) there are videos around of this guy riding GS's.....gotta see it to believe it.....!
__________________
bootlace

BOOTLACE screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 05:30 PM
BOOTLACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #7934
Japanviking
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
Still fail to see this.
Why:
The stock suspension is indeed set for a "mean" weight (which btw I think you are very close to), but also needs to compensate for possible luggage and/or passenger.
Same with a custom suspension... oups!
D-ESA does this with specific presets, plus some "auto" tuning (which I suspect is more mechanic than electronic though).
Non-ESA does this only for preload (still WAY better than nothing).

Again, to me a super expensive suspension, custom made to weight (and preference), is only valid for people mostly riding in a single "mode" and "mood". Whatever changes, they either need to modify settings OR... they are out of the custom suspension manufacturing specs.
Changes include riding style, rider weight (*), luggage, passenger, surface type etc. Even suspension itself "getting old", is a change to be compensated (except if you guys ride for a living so it makes sense to rebuild your suspension every few rounds... erm... months).

* I mention rider weight by itself as something changing, because according to you, a generic suspension made for a mean of 80Kg is... different from a custom suspension made for a guy like you 70Kg... OK. Let's accept this (and this indeed DOES make sense for Valentino Rossi). So if you actually gain weight, the suspension you paid 2K is no longer for you? This is what you say? What happens if your luggage is 10Kg? (EASY) Do you include that in your custom order calculation? What happens if you don't ride with the luggage then?

You see where I am going?

Anyway as I said from the start, to its his own.
We don't have to like the same things. Also I don't see a universal truth in this discussion.
For me the biggest reason to upgrade the suspension on my bikes isn't the adjustability.
The Simple type of suspension found on most bikes is usually unable to handle low and high speed damping very well. When the damping is cranked up it also makes the suspension feel very harsh.
There is nothing magical about this. To build something that separates hi/lo speed damping is more complicated and cost more money.
Riding on higher end suspension let's you keep the bump absorbing comfort of lower damping in the high speed range while still having the slower movements of the bike being controlled by the low speed damping.
A good example of this is the front shock on the old GS. it felt like a piece off wood when riding over ripples in the road but still failed to absorb bigger bumps.

No need to be Valentino Rossi to enjoy a suspension that is both more comfortable, safer and also allows you to push the bike harder.

I feel that the new active suspensions might be a short cut to a nice handling bike. Electronics are cheap compared to designing/building traditional shocks with the same functionality.
The intelligence is now moved from the complicated and expensive hydraulic designs into something that can adapt to different situations on the fly.

I really hope the Dynamic ESA is rebuildable though...
__________________
BMW S1000RR -12
BMW R1200GS -13
Japanviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #7935
wildy
The Highwayman
 
wildy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: billinge, england
Oddometer: 208
Can we put the suspension argument to bed with the GPS bracket. Nobody on a forum ever changes their minds and loses an argument. I have the definitive answer ...... The new ESA works.
I want to know has any new owners have the led auxiliary lights and are they worth it. I have seen some bikes on this forum that look like a Vespa from quadrophonia ( not my cup of tea ) .
__________________
" its better to have lived one day as a tiger, than a thousand years as a sheep "
wildy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015