Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #8251
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycling101 View Post
I had the opportunity to take the new 1200GS LC home for the weekend from my dealer (Saturday thru Tuesday).
Awesome you got to have it over the weekend, where I am we get 40 minutes. Fwiw, the premium version I tried had everything but cruise.
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #8252
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
I had the opportunity to take the new 1200GS LC home for the weekend from my dealer (Saturday thru Tuesday).....
Nice review, thanks.
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #8253
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,145
Quote:
Fantastic review. Thanks.
Unbelievable you got the bike for like 3+ days!
It's like 30 min here.

On the other hand TOTALLY stupid for them to have a demo without most new goodies (what are they demoing then and how are they going to sell them?). They will realize how stupid it was, when they'll want to sell their demo too. It will sell cheaper than most used oilheads in their showroom.

Anyway thanks for noting details, like low-speed cruise control (!)... would be nice in parades I guess.

First time I read about non-mode-enabled bike to be on dynamic mode. It explains the reactions we got from some here about throttle response. How did you confirm that? Your dealer verified it somehow?
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:01 PM   #8254
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Great news to hear that the standard bike uses the dynamic mapping. That was one of the main reservations I had on my test ride, so knowing that I will have 2 additional 'less touchy' throttle maps to choose from on a fully loaded bike is excellent.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #8255
Cycling101
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
Fantastic review. Thanks.
Unbelievable you got the bike for like 3+ days!
It's like 30 min here.

First time I read about non-mode-enabled bike to be on dynamic mode. It explains the reactions we got from some here about throttle response. How did you confirm that? Your dealer verified it somehow?
Yep, dealer confirmed. He said he confirmed it with corporate. Take that for what its worth though, they've been wrong before. Specifically on ESA not being an option with low suspension. But it is probably closest to the Dynamic mode.
Cycling101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #8256
JohnnieWinona
ol'cowboy

Oddometer: 30
500 miles so far

I've BEEN waiting for the 1190 ADV. I was in SantaFe for an appointment a few days ago, riding my 09 GSa, 45k, stopped in the dealer to pick up a part. The dealer had 2 blue GS 1200w, blue, the demo, plain. The other -all the stuff except the 900. headlight. To make a longer story shorter, spending an hour looking at it -the only thing I could find that was carried over from the older GS were the handgrips. The sound of the high speed starter, then the hit of the exhaust was not a GS sound, and made me test ride the plain Jane. WoW. Not like any GS I've owned. The dealer gave me a surprisingly good price for my GSa, and now I have FrauBlu. Sunday, as part of a 300 mile ride, 2-up, I did a 30 mile section of dirt; 126 between Cuba and laCuerva, winter ruts, sand, silt, gravel, some wet. Looking at the Tourance Next, I expected to turn around when I got into the first stretches of surface challenge. Enduro mode > ESA- soft > Dynamic and ASC on, amazing...did I say 2up. Might be better then my old GSa. This is not an evolution of a GS, but a transformation.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #8257
Paul_R_Canada
Still Upright

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
I had the opportunity to take the new 1200GS LC home for the weekend from my dealer (Saturday thru Tuesday).
Now...I want one

Awesome perspective, thanks you touched all the points..
Old 04-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #8258
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieWinona View Post
I've ........my old GSa. This is not an evolution of a GS, but a transformation.
Were you thinking about buying a new WGS or was it so good that it amazed you so much that you had to have it?
Old 04-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #8259
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauven View Post
Interesting video. Czech journalists decided to do something different than usual Maroko/RSA presentations and took the bike on an icy ride in the mountains. They were very impressed how the traction control managed up an icy hill.
Fantastic video. I was gripping my arm rest on the chair as he was climbing up and then coming down. Gorgeous scenery at the top. Heavenly place on earth. Thanks for sharing.
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #8260
JohnnieWinona
ol'cowboy

Oddometer: 30
I was patiently waiting for the new KTM 1190. I was also considering the Multi, but the environment that I ride in seemed a bit harsh for the Duc. I would say, first that riding the GSw revealed a truly amazing machine, and I don't usually make statements like that, second- how surprised I was that BMW took just a large leap. Then again, KTM is doing much the same. The Sachs Dynamic Suspension is special, it looks and acts like the same Sachs that the Multi uses.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #8261
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
That guy's got bigger balls than me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
You're forgetting one thing, he doesn't own the bike...
Still, you need bigger balls to go up those roads in snow. If BMW Motorrad gave me the bike, I'd still need huge balls to do what he did. Not too far into the snow I'd be flat on the ground with a concussion!
Old 04-09-2013, 11:35 PM   #8262
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Have a wife, that's why I am here.
Oh, now that I think of it. Same here
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:40 PM   #8263
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Have a wife, that's why I am here.
+1 That's all I have to say.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:34 AM   #8264
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Can't seem to attach the left pannier on the bike. Panniers are BMW original. The sliding thingies on the pannier doesn't seem to grip underneath the metal parts on the bike.

Am I doing anything wrong or should this be as easy as on the right side ?
268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:56 AM   #8265
paulW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by antwerp View Post
Can't seem to attach the left pannier on the bike. Panniers are BMW original. The sliding thingies on the pannier doesn't seem to grip underneath the metal parts on the bike.

Am I doing anything wrong or should this be as easy as on the right side ?
My right side is a bit more fiddly than the left and a thin piece of red plastic has popped out on the inside. My guess is that it is just because it's new and may ease off with use. If you have no luck, I will go out to the garage and look at mine again. They are not left on my bike normally.

paul
paulW is offline   Reply With Quote