Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 10:51 PM   #8611
schisi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
Thing is that the two "One World" bikes that did the five tours, as far as I heard had NO major (or actually even minor) issue.
They said, they worked on it each night... no major issues, only daily maintenance and some minor repair. The bike hit the ground quite often...
schisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:44 AM   #8612
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by schisi View Post
They said, they worked on it each night... no major issues, only daily maintenance and some minor repair. The bike hit the ground quite often...
Exactly.

And even if I don't believe BMW, I believe Shawn (who was there for the US leg). He said that the bike didn't even have a flat tire while they did the US leg (then again the US leg was the "softest").
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:52 AM   #8613
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,076
Quote:
Exactly.

And even if I don't believe BMW, I believe Shawn (who was there for the US leg). He said that the bike didn't even have a flat tire while they did the US leg (then again the US leg was the "softest").
Those BMW tires are really good!
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:24 AM   #8614
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 899
Did some light offroading on mine. It was allright, although knobbly tires seem to work much better than my Metzlers on sand and loose dirt.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:29 AM   #8615
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Those BMW tires are really good!

Humor attempt with a taste of irony I guess.
Might find the joke better when I am in a better mood.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:08 AM   #8616
atg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by schisi View Post
Schisi;

Thanks for the info ( and to marchyman as well ).

Would you mind telling where you purchased them ? My net search showed prices that are more than double what you mentioned...

Thanks,

Andre

atg screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 09:09 AM Reason: spelling errors
atg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:22 AM   #8617
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by atg View Post
Schisi;

Would you mind telling where you purchased them ? My net search showed prices that are more than double what you mentioned...

Thanks,

Andre
I've ordered these from a BMW main dealer today, total cost is just under 45, and they are in stock in Germany.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:34 AM   #8618
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Do they actually help in anything?
Because K50 already has a rear tire protector (between tire and suspension), that was an expensive extra in K25 (and made a HUGE difference when installed - good that now it is standard).
Old 04-22-2013, 09:53 AM   #8619
KermitBike
usually lurking

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycling101 View Post
Some of the early issues have surfaced but most of the bikes haven't even reached customers yet. Early adopters haven't even received their bikes yet in the US. Give it until the end of summer and by then folks will start thinking about a 2014 summer trip on the new LC.

I've got a 2,500 mile trip planned in June along the west coast, but the trip dates are set and I still don't have my LC. Might get ugly...
Picked mine up three weeks ago; took it in on Saturday @ 850 miles for thh initial service. I'm planning a 2+ week cross country run from Philly to the Pacific and back, starting Memorial Day weekend. TT bags arrived last week. Still waiting for other farkles to arrive (engine guard and aux lights from BMW).

So far a sweet bike; very smooth, light feeling. Very responsive throttle; it wanted to get away from me when I took the demo ride. But after a few miles I'm used to it.
KermitBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #8620
KermitBike
usually lurking

Torx sizes?

I was standing in the garage admiring the LC last night :-) and starting to plan for the set of tools that I need to take with me on the big trip. Whereas my previous beemers (specifically, an 1150RT) had a mixture of allen and torx, this one is all torx -- I couldn't find a bolt that isn't. That's good -- fewer tools to carry. But, in the case of breakdown I need to have them all with me, as finding an odd size torx in the middle of nowhere may be difficult. I think that I've got all the standard sizes (T15, T20, T25... up to T50) but I have no idea what size is required to remove the rear wheel. Anyone know what size this is? (And I'm sure that I'll have to special order this; Sears and other local hardware stores only have up to T50 in stock.)
Old 04-22-2013, 10:11 AM   #8621
Cycling101
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by KermitBike View Post
Picked mine up three weeks ago; took it in on Saturday @ 850 miles for thh initial service. I'm planning a 2+ week cross country run from Philly to the Pacific and back, starting Memorial Day weekend. TT bags arrived last week. Still waiting for other farkles to arrive (engine guard and aux lights from BMW).

So far a sweet bike; very smooth, light feeling. Very responsive throttle; it wanted to get away from me when I took the demo ride. But after a few miles I'm used to it.
Congrats on the new ride.

Doing a cross country trip on this bike doesn't really concern me. I even plan to do a west coast trip about the same time. But the original comment was if there was any concerns about doing an Alaska trip or a more extreme trip on this new version. My answer to that is 'Yes'. I think it would be best to wait at least 6-9 months to be out in the field with those of us doing some serious beta testing. Just my opinion.
Cycling101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:29 AM   #8622
KermitBike
usually lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycling101 View Post
Congrats on the new ride.

Doing a cross country trip on this bike doesn't really concern me. I even plan to do a west coast trip about the same time. But the original comment was if there was any concerns about doing an Alaska trip or a more extreme trip on this new version. My answer to that is 'Yes'. I think it would be best to wait at least 6-9 months to be out in the field with those of us doing some serious beta testing. Just my opinion.
Agreed. I wouldn't attempt a Prudhoe Bay run right away; I'm thinking that will be 2014 or 2015. This summer is US coast to coast, never far from civilization. (Though you're always a ways away from a BMW dealer :-)
Old 04-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #8623
schisi
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atg View Post
Schisi;

Thanks,

Andre
It's something similar like realoem.com, but in Germany: http://www.leebmann24.de/

But even if they ship to Brazil, it will prpbaly costs more than double compared to what I've paid
Old 04-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #8624
schisi
Adventurer

Quote:
Do they actually help in anything?
I can't tell you yet... what I can tell you is that the splash protection without it is far less good than on the previous model (where it was already bad).
Old 04-22-2013, 11:44 AM   #8625
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by KermitBike View Post
I was standing in the garage admiring the LC last night :-) and starting to plan for the set of tools that I need to take with me on the big trip. Whereas my previous beemers (specifically, an 1150RT) had a mixture of allen and torx, this one is all torx -- I couldn't find a bolt that isn't. That's good -- fewer tools to carry. But, in the case of breakdown I need to have them all with me, as finding an odd size torx in the middle of nowhere may be difficult. I think that I've got all the standard sizes (T15, T20, T25... up to T50) but I have no idea what size is required to remove the rear wheel. Anyone know what size this is? (And I'm sure that I'll have to special order this; Sears and other local hardware stores only have up to T50 in stock.)
How about the oil drain plug?
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote