Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 11:56 PM   #8656
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
I can't speak for Dutch, but I noticed this myself. When I had the GSA loaner, it didn't feel quite as stable as my GSW. Even when I demoed the GSW prior to m purchase, I thought the same thing when riding my '07 GS home, but I attributed that to the shocks being worn.
I did notice some hints in that direction when I had it loaded up a few days ago.
I just compare it to aircrafts. The more stable it is, the less nimble it is at low speeds.
In my opinion it is still very stable, but it is easy flickable. (but keep in mind I come from a sport touring bike).
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:38 AM   #8657
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
I did notice some hints in that direction when I had it loaded up a few days ago.
I just compare it to aircrafts. The more stable it is, the less nimble it is at low speeds.
In my opinion it is still very stable, but it is easy flickable. (but keep in mind I come from a sport touring bike).
Its weird. I think the GSW is fsr more flickable, but it somehow feels more planted too. I also have a Honda ST1300 and I found both my GSs way more nimble but on the other hand at speed I think I could stand on the seat and dance on my ST.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:18 AM   #8658
kindofblue
Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer: 832
The non-ESA throttle is sensitive and akin to the Dynamic mode in the ESA model. The Road mode in the ESA model is less sensitive.

Brake & clutch levers on the demo I rode were set all the way out to 4. If one adjusts them to 1 the clutch and brake feel more like a 2010 GS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch440cid View Post
Just find a dealer and ride a demo. All BMW Motorrad Dealers are supposed to have one. I've ridden the new demo 7 or 8 times in the last 2 weeks and my impression is: This bike has lots of nice ergo and usable features and Cruise is nice. The single biggest deal to me is the throttle response combined with the clutch operation. It is still heavy but the ride by wire makes it much more usable by a person of limited skill and advance age, like myself. The down side is that I have discovered all kinds of things about the air cooled platform that I (now) don't like. I haven't noticed any weird stability issues either, and I have been beating on it.
Get saddlesore when riding? Check these shorts out

kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:10 PM   #8659
Mtbcoach
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindofblue View Post
The non-ESA throttle is sensitive and akin to the Dynamic mode in the ESA model. The Road mode in the ESA model is less sensitive.

Brake & clutch levers on the demo I rode were set all the way out to 4. If one adjusts them to 1 the clutch and brake feel more like a 2010 GS.
I'd agree with this, I went from an '09 to the WC/LC/K50, I moved the clutch to 2 and like the feel there.

I've only got ~250 miles on mine, just started playing in Dynamic mode and find myself "accidently" lifting the front wheel...
'77 Toyota FJ45
Mtbcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #8660
hammick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtbcoach View Post
I'd agree with this, I went from an '09 to the WC/LC/K50, I moved the clutch to 2 and like the feel there.

I've only got ~250 miles on mine, just started playing in Dynamic mode and find myself "accidently" lifting the front wheel...
I just got back from a 50 mile night ride testing out the led headlight. Its great. Glad I ordered it. I adjusted the beam a little higher. I can leave the brights on and not get flashed by oncoming cars.

I agree that this bike will lift the front wheel with no effort. When I rode the demo bike without ASC I had to pay attention. I didn't feel like my previous GSA needed ASC and I didn't have it. On the new GS I have already had a few instances where ASC kicked in to prevent wheelies. One of them was tonight when I was in first gear and hit the throttle right when the front tire was going over a short incline. I think it would have been a substantial surprise wheelie without the ASC.

I think ASC is a good idea on this bike. I wonder if it can be added to the Standard model for $500 like the old models.
hammick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #8661
cyclingjetpilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KermitBike View Post
I was standing in the garage admiring the LC last night :-) and starting to plan for the set of tools that I need to take with me on the big trip. Whereas my previous beemers (specifically, an 1150RT) had a mixture of allen and torx, this one is all torx -- I couldn't find a bolt that isn't. That's good -- fewer tools to carry. But, in the case of breakdown I need to have them all with me, as finding an odd size torx in the middle of nowhere may be difficult. I think that I've got all the standard sizes (T15, T20, T25... up to T50) but I have no idea what size is required to remove the rear wheel. Anyone know what size this is? (And I'm sure that I'll have to special order this; Sears and other local hardware stores only have up to T50 in stock.)
I just starting putting tool kit together . I have a set of torx sockets from sears. They covered every Torx bolt I could find. Rear wheel was t50. I had a nice flat ballistic nylon case that fits sockets , and two socket wrenches that fits under rear seat with out any obstruction to seat mounting.
cyclingjetpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:57 PM   #8662
Desert John
Desert John

Oddometer: 199
Taller/Touring Windshields available now?

I'm 6'2" with 32" inseam, meaning my "trunk" is slightly tall. That means, to me, that the stock windshield is slightly small or too low. Too bad because I've ordered the tinted BMW windshield because it looks great.

Other than Tourance does anyone know of available taller or touring screens? I'm sure they'll all have screens eventually but I've got a couple of long rides scheduled within the next 60 days or so and I'd like the comfort on the longer treks.

Thanks.
Desert John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:06 AM   #8663
BroomWorx
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Calsi Windscreen

California scientific has one...

Link to previous post
BroomWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:34 AM   #8664
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,067
http://www.omnimoto.it/magazine/1164...zo-prestazioni

Hope this is a good enough test for people that discard some other tests as bad tests.

(translate it yourself... I propose bing, usually makes nicer translations)
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:48 AM   #8665
Hicks
der Überluber

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by atg View Post
I am anxioius as a child the night before christmas...

Tomorrow I am picking up my new GS LC. It is a fully loaded Premium package ( whire wheels, LED, all lectronics, etc ) I was number 2 on the waiting list in Brazil, having ordered it the day after the 2012 Intermot launch.
enjoy! :P

btw: I've pre-ordered the LC about 2 years ago.. being the first.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:27 AM   #8666
nickgoa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Anyone have the price list in euro for the accessories.

http://www.bmw-motorrad.ie/media/pdf...ccessories.pdf

in particular the crash bars, safety plug, left/right pannier and akra

I've scoured the web and can't seem to find prices. My dealer is slowwwww

been a week and still waiting for pricing.

N
nickgoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:04 AM   #8667
airhawk1
Asspad Tycoon

Oddometer: 25
Ride Eval

Here's part one of the Ass Pad Tycoon's ride eval on the new GS:

http://goo.gl/KqtB9
Road King Custom
airhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:19 AM   #8668
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickgoa View Post
Anyone have the price list in euro for the accessories.

http://www.bmw-motorrad.ie/media/pdf...ccessories.pdf

in particular the crash bars, safety plug, left/right pannier and akra

I've scoured the web and can't seem to find prices. My dealer is slowwwww

been a week and still waiting for pricing.

N
This catalog is also available in Greek Nick.
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:45 AM   #8669
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,839
Just fitted these this evening, just under £40 for the pair from BMW, lets see if they do their job.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #8670
atg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclingjetpilot View Post
I just starting putting tool kit together . I have a set of torx sockets from sears. They covered every Torx bolt I could find. Rear wheel was t50. I had a nice flat ballistic nylon case that fits sockets , and two socket wrenches that fits under rear seat with out any obstruction to seat mounting.
I, as well, really like to carry tools on my bike.

I found that the black plastic box that the 2 AA Maglites come packaged in fits perfectly under the passenger seat on the 1200 GSW. I use it for my tools.

As I can't seem to be able to post pictures in this forum, if any one is interested please send me an email and I will send pictures of it.

Andre (andre@avaprojecta.com.br)
atg is offline   Reply With Quote