Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #8671
nickgoa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
This catalog is also available in Greek Nick.
If you can find me Greek prices of the items in the catalog, ill be a happy camper. It's the prices I was having difficulty sourcing.
nickgoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:06 AM   #8672
Dirt_Boy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Test Ride Adelaide, Australia

Hey Team just took a blue R1200 GS for a quick test ride, this afternoon. Didn't go far or fast but that bike will help you lose your licence in a flash if you are not careful.

It seemed vary fast and stable, this thing only had a hand full of kilometres on it and people ere waiting for it to get back. Seemed very quick and nimble and it lofted the front wheel a couple of times. It and just wanted to rev...It was hared to keep it down to our 60 KM / 35 MPH local speed limit...These will fly out the door....

Artsy...now with new lightness

Dirt_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #8673
Gompie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert John View Post
I'm 6'2" with 32" inseam, meaning my "trunk" is slightly tall. That means, to me, that the stock windshield is slightly small or too low. Too bad because I've ordered the tinted BMW windshield because it looks great.

Other than Tourance does anyone know of available taller or touring screens? I'm sure they'll all have screens eventually but I've got a couple of long rides scheduled within the next 60 days or so and I'd like the comfort on the longer treks.

Thanks.
I'm 6'4", 34" inseem, and contemplating getting the '13 GS. If I did, I would get a seat position as on my '10 GS, which is 2" higher than standard, and with 1" lowered pegs. One advantage of being tall is you need less lean angle for same corner speed, so you can get away with lowered pegs.

If you have a second windscreen, I would consider cutting the original one down, such that you can mount the second one over it with like 1" spacers, and say 4" higher. You could try first with pieces of wood. Like a "Givi" but with OEM looks, and reduced pressure on the screen due to the airflow in between

I haven't found buffeting free heaven yet. Even with my length/seat/wunderlich-flowjet/no-screen, I'm only in clean air when i sit with a straight back spine. 1" lower and the turbulent flow hits the bottom of my helmet. And then there's a whole bunch of insects which don't follow the airflow, and meet my jacket. It needs washing after a day's riding. If the standard screen could direct the top of the turbulent flow at my shoulders, I would be happy.
Gompie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #8674
kindofblue
Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer: 822
mods for tall riders?

I'm your height and inseam and had a 2010 GS. I've put my old fastway pegs on the new GS and they are a bit lower but not 1". I've also installed an x-tall Calsci screen which is far superior to the stock screen for me.

I'm in line to have a Russell saddle made and will ask them to increase it's height an inch or so and to flatten out the seat horizontally front to rear.

I'm also working with Rox risers and they're making prototypes of a 40mm fixed riser and a 2 1/4" rotating riser but I've not received them yet to try them out (I'm beta testing for them).

I also took the stock screen off entirely and while it was quieter than the OEM screen, the wind was tiring at freeway speeds and windy conditions here in NM in the spring.

You've given me an idea to start a new thread for farkles for tall GS LC riders. Look for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gompie View Post
I'm 6'4", 34" inseem, and contemplating getting the '13 GS. If I did, I would get a seat position as on my '10 GS, which is 2" higher than standard, and with 1" lowered pegs. One advantage of being tall is you need less lean angle for same corner speed, so you can get away with lowered pegs.

If you have a second windscreen, I would consider cutting the original one down, such that you can mount the second one over it with like 1" spacers, and say 4" higher. You could try first with pieces of wood. Like a "Givi" but with OEM looks, and reduced pressure on the screen due to the airflow in between

I haven't found buffeting free heaven yet. Even with my length/seat/wunderlich-flowjet/no-screen, I'm only in clean air when i sit with a straight back spine. 1" lower and the turbulent flow hits the bottom of my helmet. And then there's a whole bunch of insects which don't follow the airflow, and meet my jacket. It needs washing after a day's riding. If the standard screen could direct the top of the turbulent flow at my shoulders, I would be happy.
Get saddlesore when riding? Check these shorts out

kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #8675
Desert John
Desert John

Oddometer: 199
Good answers, all.

I have ordered the CalSci XL screen and am keeping my fingers crossed.

My ride-in date at Russell is May 16.

I tried lowering the pegs on my K1600GT and scraped off the feelers. So much for that!

After two years of contortions in tight twisties, I ditched the risers on my '10 GS. I like the slight forward lean and will continue it on my GSLC.
'05 Aprilia Tuono Factory R
Desert John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:05 PM   #8676
Aggroman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Jusy test rode the GSW... All I have to say it is awesome man... the trottle response is so immediate. How much u twist is how much u gonna get. The bike was kitted with all the esa stuff n all n it works. I just can't wait till mine arrives in June(I hope) :(

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2
Aggroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:58 AM   #8677
ejschulz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by airhawk1 View Post
Here's part one of the Ass Pad Tycoon's ride eval on the new GS:

http://goo.gl/KqtB9
Just ordered mine yesterday 4/26 my 45th birthday this will be my third GS and I will never own any other motorcycle. Love the GS
Old 04-27-2013, 09:13 AM   #8678
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,547
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindofblue View Post
I'm your ..

I also took the stock screen off entirely and while it was quieter than the OEM screen, the wind was tiring at freeway speeds and windy conditions here in NM in the spring.....
FYI, YMMV etc....

The air hitting you w/o faring is a smooth ( almost laminar) flow as you know. What I did was experiment with the height of the wind screen ( on my 1998 and 2007 GS) by cutting a used w/s until I got it just right. It was short enough to allow for smooth air to hit my helmet, but tall as to reduce air pressure on the chest.

Another big help was to fashion an air dam for the space from chin bar of helmet to chest. I cut a piece of leather, fastened the straight part to the chin bar of the helmet, and cut the part that rests on upper chest in a kind-of U shape. THis keeps air blast and bugs out. I was IRON BUTT ready, just could not get the time off....oh well.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #8679
Crilly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Test rode the gsw today. Wow, just wow. When are the dealers going to get bikes 3 and 4?
Crilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #8680
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crilly View Post
Test rode the gsw today. Wow, just wow. When are the dealers going to get bikes 3 and 4?
Wow is good. Why wow is better. One thing, does it feel like the oil head? That is the engine vibes different or same? Running noise on the oil head is kind of mechanical...medium loud. Same or smoother like a four cyl?
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #8681
At adventure
AB

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjack View Post
Wow is good. Why wow is better. One thing, does it feel like the oil head? That is the engine vibes different or same? Running noise on the oil head is kind of mechanical...medium loud. Same or smoother like a four cyl?
Definately retains the Boxter feel but in a much more powerful and refined way without loosing the character. Vibes about the same but without the hard edges e.g the engine braking is very effective without the harsh feel of the previous model (my previous bike was a 2010 GS).
At adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #8682
Crilly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
When I was putting 92000 miles on my K1200R, I thought want a great motor for a GS. Well it is close. Lofted the front wheel going to 2nd. Just wow. Since I am only 5'3", I bought a low seat and had it reworked to just a half inch of padding. No more lowered GS for me. Cannot wait for mine to come in. So when are the dealers getting there next few in?
Crilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:09 PM   #8683
jerryj
Lets Ride

Oddometer: 63
GPS cover

How does one get the cover off the GPS mount? I've turned the key and pushed both levers .Don't want to break anything. Thanks.......................Jerry
jerryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:19 PM   #8684
jerryj
Lets Ride

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryj View Post
How does one get the cover off the GPS mount? I've turned the key and pushed both levers .Don't want to break anything. Thanks.......................Jerry
Never mind
I went back out to try it one more time and finally got it. Silly me....................Jerry
jerryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:44 AM   #8685
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,046
Just a report of a new kind of failure, coming from Greece.
(this could be one-off, or building a trend - I write it down to record it)

One of the first people with new GS in Greece, who already made plenty of trips in the mountains/villages around Peloponese, suffered an interesting failure.

While he was riding, Throttle seemed to be stuck (not the turning, the application) to around 2000-3000 RPM.
He stopped on the side, tried to reset things, no fix.

He went to the dealer, electronics didn't show an issue (that was bad), they found out that the right gas valve was stuck closed.
So it was a mechanical failure (not e-gas), the valve got replaced and all is well.

Good thing is that the bike was in "safe" mode while this happened. Strange though that the computer didn't show it.

As I said, this could be an one-off thing, just recording it.
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote