Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #8791
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,081
Good idea, but at a backwoods campsite do you just whip out your vacuum, plug it in, and suck down your parcels?

--Doc

PS. Sorry for the hijack

Quote:
Originally Posted by atg View Post
KAJ;...

Reading about you comments and worries about the vario luggage capacity for your trip, I thought I would suggest you use vacuum bags for packaging the more compactable items.

Things like jackets, Tshirts,, etc are highly compactible and vacuum packing can save you lots of space, sometimes 2 or 3 fold.

Try these:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/3/storage-bags-vacuum

Best regards,

Andre
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:59 AM   #8792
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg View Post
Good idea, but at a backwoods campsite do you just whip out your vacuum, plug it in, and suck down your parcels?

--Doc

PS. Sorry for the hijack
No actually it is much simpler. Those bags allow air to go out without getting back in. So you just compress them, sit on them or whatever and they stay like that.
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:04 AM   #8793
fubar201
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
[QUOTE=Kaj;21342268]
Quote:
Originally Posted by atg View Post

I am surprised to realize that whilst navigating and stopped for gas station etc. for a short while, the route has disappered...need to start from the beginning.

Unless if I leave GPS on and only turn off the engine...
Not my experience. The route does resume after stops. Used it many times on a ~2500 mile road trip last week.
fubar201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:40 AM   #8794
Andylaser
Heavy Metal

Oddometer: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaj View Post
You are probably right, but then on the other hand, when not travelling, panniers are not needed and can be left home. Without Varios, my GS looks nice and light, I hate the ugly mounting brackets that normally comes with all others...

I am suffering less with louzy filling ratio of Various, than riding an ugly bike.
If someone made some nice lightweight ally panniers that fitted the Varios mounting points and didnt require an extra frame, they would be on to a winner.

OLD SKOOL HEAVY METAL
Andylaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #8795
earthroamerxvlt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
auxilary Lights and Oil Filter Number

Hopefully these questions have not been asked and answered before, but if so I have not found them.

I had to unexpectedly scramble around for a new bike when my 2010 GSA got totaled. A new GSW is being shipped from Max BMW and in my reading up on everything in the owners manual I noticed it says that the Auxiliary Headlights are on only with the low beams. I would like to install the OEM auxiliary lighting harness and switch as I did on my wife's 2012 R1200GS, but if the aux lights are only powered when the low beams are on then they would be useless to me. We run Clearwater lights set up to go to full bright when you switch to high beams or sound the horn. Can anyone who has the auxiliary lights on a GSW confirm or refute this?

Edit: I just found that Max BMW has put up the GSW fiche since I last checked so I have now answered my own question about the oil filter. Part #11 42 7 721 779 Also I can not find a parts fiche or anything listing the part number for the GSW oil filter. If it is the same as the R1200GS camheads then I have plenty, but if it is a different filter then I need to scrounge some up before the bike arrives. Can someone who has a GSW post the part number or verify compatibility with Camhead filters?

earthroamerxvlt screwed with this post 05-06-2013 at 10:27 AM
earthroamerxvlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #8796
Kaj
Gessu

Oddometer: 13
There is an own switch for aux lights...when they are on, they stay on regardless if you are on low or high beams...
Kaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #8797
atg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg View Post

--Doc

PS. Sorry for the hijack
You can use a gas station car cleaning vac... Just kidding !

Usually, you can just roll the vacuum bag and get the air out. I don't know if all vacuum bags work this way; mine does.

Andre
atg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #8798
Kaj
Gessu

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar201 View Post

Not my experience. The route does resume after stops. Used it many times on a ~2500 mile road trip last week.
Do you have BMW IV on 2013 GS?
Kaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #8799
atg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
There is an own switch for aux lights...when they are on, they stay on regardless if you are on low or high beams...
Hi Kaj;

I wonder where you are from. Depending on to which country your bike was manufactured to, there may be an aditional light switch located on the left side of the hazard light switch. Also, depending on market, you may have an aditinal programable function called DLIGHT available with the LED headlights. (see section 4 of the owner's manual )

What this function does is to allow that the daylight turns itself on automatically when it is clear and switches itself to low power and turns low beans on when in a darker place like a tunnel or a garage. When and if it becomes clear again the process is reverted to full power daylight and low beams off.

If this programing is activated, when you press the light switch mentioned it simply overrides the auto function and turns the low beam on at once.

Hope this helps...

Andre
atg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #8800
fubar201
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Do you have BMW IV on 2013 GS?
Yup
Old 05-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #8801
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,869
Quote:
Yup
Seems like bad cabling or something.

(or maybe a setting somewhere?)

I would definitely bother the dealer.
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #8802
Larch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andylaser View Post
If someone made some nice lightweight ally panniers that fitted the Varios mounting points and didnt require an extra frame, they would be on to a winner.
They do (well, almost!)

SW Motech make pannier (bag) racks that are ugly (like you hate) but that are quickly detached (QD) with a couple of turns of a coin. What is left are a couple of very short tabs that are virtually invisible to the untrained eye. They are well made and well designed.

These QD racks are called "Quick-Lock Evo Side-carriers." You need a pair of these, and then the kit that fits them specifically to the new LC GS. You also need to work out which panniers you want to attach to the racks, and buy a "Quick-Lock Evo Side Carrier Adapter Kit" for the model of panniers you will be using. SW Motech has several different kinds of adapter kit, for various panner makes including: Hepco & Becker (incl. aluminium), Givi, Shad, Krauser and Trax (also aluminium). The adapter kit is easy to fit to the outside of the Side Carriers, and consists of a set of custom bobbins to fit the panniers you specify.

If you do the above and buy a pair of Trax or Hepco & Becker aluminium panniers, you will have what you want: a pair of great aluminium panniers and a set strong mounting racks that disappear when you finish your journey.

SW Motech for the new GS are available at: http://shop.sw-motech.com/en/by+moto...2013/index.htm
Larch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #8803
Larch
Adventurer

Feedback Appreciated

I didn't hear back from anyone about the high frequency vibration I experienced on my test of a new LC GS.

I would be very grateful if any owners could tell me if you have found this on your bike, and if it is minor or major, and if it is a problem or not.

The vibration on the GS I rode occurred between about 5.5 thousand and 6.5 thousand RPM (from memory!) and was strong enough to make me wonder if it would be a problem on a long ride on twisty roads. As it occurred quite far up the rev range, and right at a point of high torque, it was quite easy to miss due to the fantastic acceleration I was also experiencing from the engine at the time, and if ridden through to higher RPMs, probably not a problem. However, if I was riding a twisty road at speed, I might want to stick at these engine speeds for a while, hence my question as I think (on this bike) that would become quite uncomfortable, fairly quickly.

Thanks.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #8804
fubar201
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larch View Post
The vibration on the GS I rode occurred between about 5.5 thousand and 6.5 thousand RPM (from memory!) and was strong enough to make me wonder if it would be a problem on a long ride on twisty roads. As it occurred quite far up the rev range, and right at a point of high torque, it was quite easy to miss due to the fantastic acceleration I was also experiencing from the engine at the time, and if ridden through to higher RPMs, probably not a problem. However, if I was riding a twisty road at speed, I might want to stick at these engine speeds for a while, hence my question as I think (on this bike) that would become quite uncomfortable, fairly quickly.

Thanks.
I have noticed a bit more "buzz" between 80 and 85 MPH in 6th gear. Smooth-smooth at 70...buzz at 80. Didn't notice the RPM. Nothing objectionable tho. I have not ridden a bike more comfortable.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #8805
Larch
Adventurer

Cool2 Vibration

Quote:
I have noticed a bit more "buzz" between 80 and 85 MPH in 6th gear. Smooth-smooth at 70...buzz at 80. Didn't notice the RPM. Nothing objectionable tho. I have not ridden a bike more comfortable.
Thanks for the response, Fubar.

It did occur to me that on the freeway it wouldn't matter, as unless I was overtaking something, I'd just shift up a gear, drop the revs, and the vibes would go. However, I sometimes ride long distances at speed on minor roads, (i.e. long sport rides) and this is what I'm wondering about, as at these times I'd probably be in fourth or fifth gear, and approaching or going beyond the revs the GS's engine turns at 85 mph in sixth.

I realize that all bikes are going to vibrate more at peak torque, but this was a much more noticeable vibration than I have experienced on other bikes when riding in a similar way.

I am pretty certain that around town, and on the freeway, the GS would be very comfortable, as you say; I'm just thinking about sport-riding for extended periods, and whether this could be a problem, or if it was just the bike I was riding.

Thanks.