ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #8851
marchyman
Cam Killer
 
marchyman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 7,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Yup excellent light output and well worth the $$$ for that alone. Also gives the bike an iconic look and will bump up resale value.
Meh... I've never, ever bought a bike with resale value as part of the equation. I always expect to run the bike into the ground and wind up surprised that I get bored with the bike before that happens. With the exception of my vintage beemer I can't seem to hold onto a bike more than 8 years.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #8852
twinrider
pass the catnip
 
twinrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: 日本
Oddometer: 9,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
Meh... I've never, ever bought a bike with resale value as part of the equation. I always expect to run the bike into the ground and wind up surprised that I get bored with the bike before that happens. With the exception of my vintage beemer I can't seem to hold onto a bike more than 8 years.
I reckon you're in the minority when it comes to not caring about resale value but as I said the led is worth buying for its excellent light output alone. Far better than the halogen.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #8853
Der Alte Motorrader
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Centrally California
Oddometer: 363
"Truth is as Truth was, and is still......

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
Funny thing (but mark my words you'll see I am correct), is that after a couple of years, people not really "into" BMW GS (but still riders), will think of the non-LED GSW as an older model of LED GSW.
Mark my words.

It's like today those same "not really into GS" people believe GS Adventure is a bigger model (in the sense of bigger model, not fatter ) than GS. Then again even some GS Adventure owners believe that. :)
My first GS was a 1999 alpine white model. The next was a 2002 R1150 "Adventure". While my wife and I were on the road back from the 'MoA rally in Redmond 2000, I think....any way it was easy to see into the madness I was just starting to reveal upon myself....the most puss GS's had big tanks and loads of lighting....and of course...ground clearance, and complete as possible command of the bike and it's instruments. Adventure's are bigger....at least to anyone who's owned both...and it's not about size...it's just bigger!P.S. I'm still into my 2007 R1200GS Adventure P.P.S. The 2013 GS has me thinking..it might be wise to wait for the Adventure...maybe not!!!!!The 2013 really does turn the last generation into Dinos...but once you've ruled the earth from the saddle of an Adventure.....get it? Then get it!!!!!!
Der Alte Motorrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:05 AM   #8854
I GS 1
I 90S I
 
I GS 1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: SI, New Zealand
Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Alte Motorrader View Post
...but once you've ruled the earth from the saddle of an Adventure.....get it? Then get it!!!!!!
Is "ruling the earth" from the saddle of an Adventure really the secret fantasy that Adventure riders have? - I've often wondered
I GS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:33 AM   #8855
NLS
My bike needs washing...
 
NLS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: GREECE!
Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by I GS 1 View Post
Is "ruling the earth" from the saddle of an Adventure really the secret fantasy that Adventure riders have? - I've often wondered
Sure hope so.
For most though is how nice it looks parked.
__________________
NLS
My Blog
When the going gets tough, the tough get going...
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:08 AM   #8856
atg
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Sao Paulo, Brazil
Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
Sure hope so.
For most though is how nice it looks parked.
At STARBUCK's ?
atg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:28 AM   #8857
NLS
My bike needs washing...
 
NLS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: GREECE!
Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by atg View Post
At STARBUCK's ?
You said it, not me.
__________________
NLS
My Blog
When the going gets tough, the tough get going...
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:40 AM   #8858
cjack
Studly Adventurer
 
cjack's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Illinois
Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
I'm on 1200 miles, and my headers are still shiny chrome
It'll get blue if you let it idle for a few minutes. My Rallye was just chrome until it idled for 3 or 4 minutes then it got blue up at the heads.
__________________
My other bike is a BMW
Jack
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:47 AM   #8859
HalB
Adventurer
 
HalB's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Oddometer: 52
Serious Problem with new GS

I did a test ride on the new watercooled 1200GS. What everyone says, awesome, game changer bike. I ride a 2011 MTS and the beemer made me drool!!

this is a long thread, so apologies if this conversation has already occurred and I missed it

HOWEVER

As we all know Kevin Ash died in S. Africa test riding this bike on a straight stretch of dirt road. I read Bike magazine's report on the bike, that the reviewer had a serious tankslapper riding the bike and that 2 other reporters also had a problem. Because of these instability problems, Bike would not give it 5 stars. I don't want to cast dispersion on BMW, but it is hard not to suspect that the crash that killed Ash might be related to a serious fault with the bike.

If there are any answers or explanations, it would be good to have it out in the open. OR are we waiting for a lawsuit?

Other published comments on this issue:

BMW have tried to replicate the incidents but deny finding anything wrong with the bikes in thousands of miles of testing.

Read the following test rides, here is what Kevin Duke from Motorcycle.com wrote in his report http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...iew-91507.html
"However, the GS did disappoint me during a casual ride down an open dirt road. I was standing up to get cool air through my riding gear, traveling about 45 mph, when I encountered a washboard section. In an instant and with seemingly no provocation, the bike went into a wild tankslapper that threatened to throw me from the bike. It was a very panicked second before the steering regained its composure.

We canít yet say for certain this is a problem with the bike, but another journalist reported a similar experience when he was riding while standing. This is quite unexpected considering the chassis geometry is essentially unchanged from the previous model, plus there were no stability issues whatsoever during high-speed road riding. I wonder if perhaps the Dynamic ESA allowed the front suspension to pack down over the washboard surface, reducing its rake and trail to less stable geometry. Or perhaps the GS will end up with a steering damper when deliveries begin in March of this year."

and another one from COSTA MOUZOURIS of Canada Motoguide.com http://canadamotoguide.com/2013/01/2...h-bmw-r1200gs/
"The only hiccup in the bikeís handling is a possible tendency to shake its head while standing on the footpegs over rough terrain. On a couple of occasions while standing, hitting a succession of sharp bumps causes the fork to shake just a bit. It isnít alarming; itís just that I donít remember the old bike having any tendency to do this. A couple of the U.S. journos also noted this."

In the meantime BMW issued two recalls one for oil pressure where transmission oil exceeding the specified limits and this could lead to the output shaft sealing ring to leak.http://www.autoevolution.com/news/20...sue-54935.html
the other is the Automatic Stability Control (ASC) system may not reactivate following off-road use in the ďEnduro-ProĒ mode. As the ASC warning lamp is no longer illuminated, the rider may be unaware that the system is still currently deactivated. This could result in a crash causing property damage and/or personal injury.
http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/...eng&rn=2013060

In the meantime, I will keep my Multistrada and wait for a 2014 model before consideration.
HalB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:10 AM   #8860
Velociraptor
TrackBum
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 1,082
The latest issue of BIKE magazine has a very extensive test of the new GS. They spent a lot of time and effort trying to induce a tank slapper and were unable to do it. I do not know why there were problems in South Africa and then later no problems.
__________________
2014 KTM EXC 500
2014 KTM 1290 Superduke R
2009 KTM 690r Enduro SOLD
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #8861
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..
 
Dr. Greg's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: ABQ, New Mexico
Oddometer: 1,160
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
My first two tanks netted 46 MPG. Those miles were running under 60 MPH on back roads, before the running-in service.

Riding at highway speeds, the mileage has dropped to 42-43.

I hand-calculated these figures.

The numbers tend to jibe with the calculations from the on-board computer.
Thanks very much. That is right on a par with my 2010 Multistrada 1200, and is exactly what I wanted to know (and expected).

--Doc
__________________
Isa. 58:14 (KJV)
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
1992 Ducati 900SS (looker)
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #8862
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer
 
oz97tj's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Fenton, MI
Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalB View Post
I did a test ride on the new watercooled 1200GS. What everyone says, awesome, game changer bike. I ride a 2011 MTS and the beemer made me drool!!

this is a long thread, so apologies if this conversation has already occurred and I missed it

HOWEVER

As we all know Kevin Ash died in S. Africa test riding this bike on a straight stretch of dirt road. I read Bike magazine's report on the bike, that the reviewer had a serious tankslapper riding the bike and that 2 other reporters also had a problem. Because of these instability problems, Bike would not give it 5 stars. I don't want to cast dispersion on BMW, but it is hard not to suspect that the crash that killed Ash might be related to a serious fault with the bike.

If there are any answers or explanations, it would be good to have it out in the open. OR are we waiting for a lawsuit?

Other published comments on this issue:

BMW have tried to replicate the incidents but deny finding anything wrong with the bikes in thousands of miles of testing.

Read the following test rides, here is what Kevin Duke from Motorcycle.com wrote in his report http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...iew-91507.html
"However, the GS did disappoint me during a casual ride down an open dirt road. I was standing up to get cool air through my riding gear, traveling about 45 mph, when I encountered a washboard section. In an instant and with seemingly no provocation, the bike went into a wild tankslapper that threatened to throw me from the bike. It was a very panicked second before the steering regained its composure.

We canít yet say for certain this is a problem with the bike, but another journalist reported a similar experience when he was riding while standing. This is quite unexpected considering the chassis geometry is essentially unchanged from the previous model, plus there were no stability issues whatsoever during high-speed road riding. I wonder if perhaps the Dynamic ESA allowed the front suspension to pack down over the washboard surface, reducing its rake and trail to less stable geometry. Or perhaps the GS will end up with a steering damper when deliveries begin in March of this year."

and another one from COSTA MOUZOURIS of Canada Motoguide.com http://canadamotoguide.com/2013/01/2...h-bmw-r1200gs/
"The only hiccup in the bikeís handling is a possible tendency to shake its head while standing on the footpegs over rough terrain. On a couple of occasions while standing, hitting a succession of sharp bumps causes the fork to shake just a bit. It isnít alarming; itís just that I donít remember the old bike having any tendency to do this. A couple of the U.S. journos also noted this."

In the meantime BMW issued two recalls one for oil pressure where transmission oil exceeding the specified limits and this could lead to the output shaft sealing ring to leak.http://www.autoevolution.com/news/20...sue-54935.html
the other is the Automatic Stability Control (ASC) system may not reactivate following off-road use in the ďEnduro-ProĒ mode. As the ASC warning lamp is no longer illuminated, the rider may be unaware that the system is still currently deactivated. This could result in a crash causing property damage and/or personal injury.
http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/...eng&rn=2013060

In the meantime, I will keep my Multistrada and wait for a 2014 model before consideration.
Really? Give it a rest already. This has been beaten to death. NOTHING has been released stating the bike was the cause of the accident. NOTHING. Its very possible it could have been rider error. Gasp.

As for the instability, there are boat loads of bikes out there now. Nobody is complaining about it. Nobody is even mentioning it. Could it have possibly been a few riders at the press launch riding way over their heads putting the bikes in very specific situations where it could happen? Gasp again. Press launches are known for guys riding ridiculous paces way over their abilities. They are known for dumb things happening. Also, EVERY bike ever made can get headshake in the right situation.

Go climb in your bubble where youll be safe and stop trolling, jackass.
__________________
'13 BMW 1200 GSW
'05 Honda ST1300
oz97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:27 AM   #8863
NLS
My bike needs washing...
 
NLS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: GREECE!
Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalB View Post
...
As you admited you haven't read this huge thread. This has been beaten to death.

Whether this was a problem and got fixed, or it never was a problem (can give you a number of explanations - given by experts, not me), newer reports (magazine or every-day riders) haven't mentioned about it again.

Actually exactly because of the early reports (and Kevin's death) MANY have tried to explicitly force this behavior. Failed (at least those that posted here). Some have quite a few thousand miles on GSW already (apparently didn't buy it for Starbucks only).

About Kevin. Apparently his family didn't say anything against BMW. We haven't heard of any legal issues between them and BMW (that, would never stay hidden). There was no public official report that I know of (by BMW, S.A. police or 3rd party that specialize in these things) that blames the bike. There IS a single comment from BMW official during an interview, that the investigation did finish and didn't find anything about the bike being at fault. Yes this "politely" hints that it might have been user error.
Actually about the accident itself there are quite a few (even contradicting reports). It may have not even been Kevin's fault but someone else's. One witness (?) report says that front rider fell, then Kevin struck him. Other says that Kevin did fall, didn't get any serious injury but next rider hit him.
You do know that in many all (and I can tell you, in almost all that involve off-road) journalist launches someone falls (98% without issue). Kevin himself has dropped before. It's not that he was a bad rider, everybody that rides (let alone for a living) knows that falling IS inevitable.

In any case, everybody has to make his own excuse (I don't say valid or not) to justify against a major expense. Nothing wrong with that. ;)
You have a bike with strong character, be happy with it.

BTW this is one of my fav. videos (repost but never wears down)...
__________________
NLS
My Blog
When the going gets tough, the tough get going...
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:08 AM   #8864
HalB
Adventurer
 
HalB's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Oddometer: 52
NLS: Thank you for your informative and courteous update. this is new to me and I have been searching for more information on the subject since riding the bike and reading the latest Bike magazine article. Your response is very helpful in clarifying the matter. Although I may "live in a bubble" not all of us receive all news as it is posted.

I believe the purpose of these forums is to share information, and even though a subject may have been "beaten to death", I see no need to receive insulting and rude responses as from oz97tj.
HalB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #8865
NLS
My bike needs washing...
 
NLS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: GREECE!
Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalB View Post
NLS: Thank you for your informative and courteous update. this is new to me and I have been searching for more information on the subject since riding the bike and reading the latest Bike magazine article. Your response is very helpful in clarifying the matter. Although I may "live in a bubble" not all of us receive all news as it is posted.

I believe the purpose of these forums is to share information, and even though a subject may have been "beaten to death", I see no need to receive insulting and rude responses as from oz97tj.
As it is normal to make excuses to not make a huge expense (or to justify a bad decision sometimes), it is also normal (or better, "human") to get in defense mode when someone "attacks" (although your point was not to actually attack) something that someone else likes.

Did you like the video?
It was full of "front end vibrations" wasn't it?
None seemed weird to me though. Pretty normal wouldn't you say?
I think people that ride on dirt (esp. professionally) will tell you that steering dumpers are like the norm. So... maybe some people pushed the bike (because this bike wants you to push it) a bit more than their confidence level.
__________________
NLS
My Blog
When the going gets tough, the tough get going...
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014