Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 07:46 AM   #8986
pauljm
R1200GS WC

Oddometer: 55
Get he LEDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambonee View Post
I am going to buck most of the crowd and say the LED is nice but not needed for $800.

1)Yes it will resell for less but you pay more
2)Yes it is VERY good but the GS has been around forever without one and can continue just fine without.
3)Some aftermarket spotlights can be had much cheaper and will function where you are going to need them.
4)I have no issue seeing or being seen with the standard lights.

Anyways..It is really a matter of priority. I probably would have bought with if the bike was in stock with but did not want to wait and fine without. Looking at the whole setup if I get really desperate to have them down the line I wonder if it will be possible to swap out the unit for the LEDs. I bet it is pretty modular.

Plus, all I think you get ith the LED is TPS also...pretty sure..and I HAVE heard of issues with the TPS...dang you BMW for not making this something you can just get on your own
The LEDs are worth waiting for. Best lights I have had on a bike by far.
Don't bet you can just swap in the LEDs down the track got caught with my latest car. Needs rewriting harness for xenon lights, basically too expensive to even consider. I am told.

R1200GS LC
pauljm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:09 AM   #8987
emack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
tie in for accessories

Okay, I'm sure this has been covered, but I can't find it. I'm adding a fuse block under the seat for my accessories (air horn, lights. etc) and am trying to find a good wire to tie into that's hot when the bike is on. I tried the green wire off of the GPS power because it is hot when on, but that isn't working for some reason. I know my relay is good because I hooked it up straight to the battery through a switch and it's fine. Where have you guys tapped into for your switched accessories?

Thanks!
Erik
emack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:32 AM   #8988
Bazgab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by emack View Post
Okay, I'm sure this has been covered, but I can't find it. I'm adding a fuse block under the seat for my accessories (air horn, lights. etc) and am trying to find a good wire to tie into that's hot when the bike is on. I tried the green wire off of the GPS power because it is hot when on, but that isn't working for some reason. I know my relay is good because I hooked it up straight to the battery through a switch and it's fine. Where have you guys tapped into for your switched accessories?

Thanks!
Erik
My fuse block is going at the very tail end of the bike. The closest switched power source I found back there was a wire coming out of what I later realized was the TPM module. I am pretty sure I don't want to tap into that so I need to find something else.

I would want to use the diagnostic plug next to the battery but I am unsure of which wire I need to use (haven't tried testing them yet). At a glance, the wire colors are different from previous years as I don't recall seeing the Blue/Green wire that most use to tap into. My Skene P3 lights need to tap into this wire and I would not be able to hook anything else up to it, so I still need to find another switched power source.
Bazgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:09 AM   #8989
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazgab View Post
My fuse block is going at the very tail end of the bike. The closest switched power source I found back there was a wire coming out of what I later realized was the TPM module. I am pretty sure I don't want to tap into that so I need to find something else.

I would want to use the diagnostic plug next to the battery but I am unsure of which wire I need to use (haven't tried testing them yet). At a glance, the wire colors are different from previous years as I don't recall seeing the Blue/Green wire that most use to tap into. My Skene P3 lights need to tap into this wire and I would not be able to hook anything else up to it, so I still need to find another switched power source.
Is the tail light a simple one filament? Or the parking light which I usually use at the front of the bike. Is there a switched wire from the diagnostic plug that is not data?
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #8990
Bazgab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjack View Post
Is the tail light a simple one filament? Or the parking light which I usually use at the front of the bike. Is there a switched wire from the diagnostic plug that is not data?
You cannot use the tail light wire, it will throw a !LAMPR code if you do, ran into that when installing the P3 Lights because of not reading the note in the instructions. I haven't looked into the parking light but i don't know if there is a separate wire for it, I have the LED headlights so all the front lights are enclosed in that, I need to take off some of the front panels to check out that wiring.

There might be a switched wire from the diagnostic plug, i need to test the wires with my multimeter. There just isn't the blue/green wire like the old one, there is a red wire (power, not sure if switched or not yet), brown (ground), and two other wires.

EDIT: I just heard from Jerry Skene who just had another customer find a good source for a switched power connection. There is a red or orange wire with a brown trace coming out of the connector for the left handgrip. This is found right above the bike's ECU under the rider's seat. See picture below for more exact location.

Bazgab screwed with this post 05-20-2013 at 09:53 AM
Bazgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #8991
Dave Flanders
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Question Enduro Pro Plug

Just picked up my new GS h2o and can not access enduro pro mode. Even though I bought a bike with all three option packages which states its the enduro pro computer my dealer now tells me its an extra.
Anyone know if this is correct or not?
Dave Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:14 AM   #8992
Hambonee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
Yet, I know perfectly fine that this is just my excuse.
oh..not saying that!

I just think it is a priority thing..it was wait or have now. In 4 years(when LEDs are standard on all bikes) I will probably swap for one that is...

Just providing some input after the "you can't survive without" responses...

You can...but it is a damn nice option if you are willing to pay for...just not as desperatly required as some make it sound.

Either way I am REALLY glad they went to LED as hopefully this will start a trend towards making them standard and doing away with the old ones. Really..it should not take this long to adopt something like this...

Hambonee screwed with this post 05-20-2013 at 10:20 AM
Hambonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:16 AM   #8993
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Flanders View Post
Just picked up my new GS h2o and can not access enduro pro mode. Even though I bought a bike with all three option packages which states its the enduro pro computer my dealer now tells me its an extra.
Anyone know if this is correct or not?
Enduro Pro is a mode that gets enabled by small "stick" (like USB stick) you plug on a port under the seat.

It IS for free and NOT an extra for people that have bought the "ride modes" version.

So tell your dealer that you are waiting for your plug and he'd better find one.
NLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:18 AM   #8994
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
oh..not saying that!

I just think it is a priority thing..it was wait or have now. In 4 years(when LEDs are standard on all bikes) I will probably swap for one that is...

Just providing some input after the "you can't survive without" responses...

You can...but it is a damn nice option if you are willing to pay for...just not as deperatly required as some make it sound.
Homo Sapiens is a very adaptive species.
We can survive pretty much everything on the planet.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:30 AM   #8995
fubar201
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Enduro Pro is a mode that gets enabled by small "stick" (like USB stick) you plug on a port under the seat.

It IS for free and NOT an extra for people that have bought the "ride modes" version.

So tell your dealer that you are waiting for your plug and he'd better find one.
True, but you will need a firmware update too.
fubar201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #8996
Hambonee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Homo Sapiens is a very adaptive species.
We can survive pretty much everything on the planet.
true that!

Hey, since we are talking about headlights and don't have my manual with me. THe 2013 still uses 55W H7s right?

I am sure they come with sucky bulbs so will probably buy some better ones...
Hambonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #8997
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
true that!

Hey, since we are talking about headlights and don't have my manual with me. THe 2013 still uses 55W H7s right?

I am sure they come with sucky bulbs so will probably buy some better ones...
Yes.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #8998
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Wires with tracers (multy colored wires) are generally switched, solid like red or brown (ground) are never switched.
Except...now that I think of it, solid green was always ignition hot which came on with the key.
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #8999
nickgoa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
The dealer had his Demo with almost everything I want on the bike...except the LED package.... even thought it was brand new Demo...(I was the first one to ride it)...I passed and I'm on a 3 month wait...a huge reason beeing the LED Light. July is not here soon enough....

to each his own I guess...

Enjoy your bike!!!
nickgoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:16 PM   #9000
emack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazgab View Post
You cannot use the tail light wire, it will throw a !LAMPR code if you do, ran into that when installing the P3 Lights because of not reading the note in the instructions. I haven't looked into the parking light but i don't know if there is a separate wire for it, I have the LED headlights so all the front lights are enclosed in that, I need to take off some of the front panels to check out that wiring.

There might be a switched wire from the diagnostic plug, i need to test the wires with my multimeter. There just isn't the blue/green wire like the old one, there is a red wire (power, not sure if switched or not yet), brown (ground), and two other wires.

EDIT: I just heard from Jerry Skene who just had another customer find a good source for a switched power connection. There is a red or orange wire with a brown trace coming out of the connector for the left handgrip. This is found right above the bike's ECU under the rider's seat. See picture below for more exact location.

Nice! Thanks. I did tap in to the taillight, and it hasn't thrown an error yet. If it does, I'll be switching to the wire you mentioned.

Thanks for the quick responses guys! My air horn sounds NICE.
emack is offline   Reply With Quote