Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 03:28 AM   #9016
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,030
Leave it on the side stand, stand on the left footpeg and swing your leg over the seat dirt bike style.

Watch this vid from 2:29

twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:45 AM   #9017
At adventure
AB

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercieca View Post
Should have asked, are they spoked wheels? Read below if they are.

Just going to put this out there. Ask to check if the hub is not off centre to the outside rim. When I bought my GS years ago, it was the first time they had seen this problem on my bike. I had the dealer at the time say the same thing, and actually say your just getting used to the bike, so don't take no for an answer. Ride it at low speeds and see if there is a bobbing effect.
Yes spoke wheels but no problem at low speeds. I only feel a slight shake from 80km when riding in a straight line. Thanks for the tip though I will check that. Cheers AB
At adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:01 AM   #9018
Voz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
I loaded my bike up with some luggage in the 3 cases and noticed the bike was a little lower. I could almost flatfoot the ground. So I pressed the button for ESA 1+ luggage and it rose about 2 cm I think.
Now the question. I weigh about 65 kg (144 lbs) and give or take about 25 kg of luggage (paniers included). Should I really use the 1+luggage or just stick to solo rider? While riding I don't really notice a difference. (I put it in rain since it is pouring with rain here).
I am 6 ft 120 kg, short legs long body. I run my GS LC in single helmet setting and can flatfoot both feet, love this. The bike seems to ride perfectly in Soft setting. I also carry about 20Kg of luggage on my daily commute.

I don't think u have anything to worry about!

2013 R1200 GSW Red - Blown Engine & Gearbox (clutch basket nut issue)
2015 R1200 GSW White - On order to replace blown up 13 GSW
2006 Yamaha FZ6S
Voz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:02 AM   #9019
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
I've got a 30" inseam (just in case you have a different measuring system there, that'd be the length of the Levis that would fit).

When I took the LC GS for a test ride I had the seat in the low position, normal suspension. I'm so used to only being able to put just one foot on the ground while stopped after owning an 11GS, a Dakar and a Super Tenere that it comes as second nature now. But offroad it definitely helps to even be able to get both balls of your feet down. Don't ask me how I know.
I have no idea of my inseam. total leg length is 99cm, but that is a different measure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpa View Post
What's your method for getting on the bike? Do you leave it on the centerstand. Btw I have a 30 inch inseam and can only plant my toes on the high seat setting I prefer.
I put it upright, hold it stable with my left hand and pop my right leg over it. Side stand is usually retracted.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:09 AM   #9020
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:

I put it upright, hold it stable with my left hand and pop my right leg over it. Side stand is usually retracted.
That's a good way to drop a bike. Leave the side stand down, that's what it's for.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:49 AM   #9021
Voz
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I have no idea of my inseam. total leg length is 99cm, but that is a different measure.

Man award right there.

2006 Yamaha FZ6S
Old 05-21-2013, 05:16 AM   #9022
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Photos, or it didn't happen.
I'll try and make a little vid on friday.

Main reason I do it like this is cause the side stand is a little to far forward making it harder for me to reach.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:25 AM   #9023
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,046
Quote:
I'll try and make a little vid on friday.

Main reason I do it like this is cause the side stand is a little to far forward making it harder for me to reach.
Make sure you do it while YOURSELF is taking the video.
Now that would be cool.

NLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:52 AM   #9024
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
Make sure you do it while YOURSELF is taking the video.
Now that would be cool.

That's easy. I just mut my gopro or camera on the ground and hit record, then I get on my bike. I'd better use the gopro with this weather (need something waterproof).
Old 05-21-2013, 06:01 AM   #9025
Bazgab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voz View Post
I am looking to attach my wiring loom from my Admore LED lights installed in my Givi V46 top box. I had this loom wired into my Versys 650. I had a look under the GS seat and there is very little wiring in there, haha.

Anyone have any advice? I need to tap GND, 12V, Left, Right, Brake & Lights. I can see the wires running to the rear LED lights, can these be tapped?
The picture I linked earlier is a good place to get a switched 12V power source. You would probably also need to feed the tail light wire from that same 12V source, as I mentioned if you tap into the tail light wire with any anything that draws even a little current you will throw an error code.

I exposed the tail light/brake light wires, that run together along the right side of the tail, a couple inches from the back of the bike as it was impossible to get to the exposed wires right by the tail light connector. The turn signals are easy to find, there are (2) two-wire connectors about halfway up the tail on either side. Tap into the blue wire for Left/Right turnsignals. GND is any brown wire you can find.

I can take some pictures of what I did if you need them, though the bike is a little messy at this point.

Bazgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:32 AM   #9026
Voz
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazgab View Post
The picture I linked earlier is a good place to get a switched 12V power source. You would probably also need to feed the tail light wire from that same 12V source, as I mentioned if you tap into the tail light wire with any anything that draws even a little current you will throw an error code.

I exposed the tail light/brake light wires, that run together along the right side of the tail, a couple inches from the back of the bike as it was impossible to get to the exposed wires right by the tail light connector. The turn signals are easy to find, there are (2) two-wire connectors about halfway up the tail on either side. Tap into the blue wire for Left/Right turnsignals. GND is any brown wire you can find.

I can take some pictures of what I did if you need them, though the bike is a little messy at this point.
Thanks, so you are wiring up something similar to me.

Any more detail pics would be great if you have them, cheers.

2006 Yamaha FZ6S
Old 05-21-2013, 08:55 AM   #9027
Bazgab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voz View Post
Thanks, so you are wiring up something similar to me.

Any more detail pics would be great if you have them, cheers.
I was wiring up some P3 LEDs (you can see them under my license plate) which have similar wiring compared to your topbox lighting. The bike is taken apart like that for the wiring of my auxiliary LED driving lights and the associated components (control unit, handlebar switch).

I will take some more pictures this evening when I get home.
Bazgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:40 PM   #9028
hdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Besides the slick handlebar function, tying into the bike's electronics also lets the Zumo display a lot of info about the bike as well. Have a look at this if you haven't seen it.
http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=121329
Thanks for the info.. It's an option.

KTM 1190 R

KTM 690 R
hdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:22 AM   #9029
At adventure
AB

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdog View Post
Thanks for the info.. It's an option.
What is the dealer wanting to charge you for the BMW Nav IV? I was quoted $1600 which seems outrageous. I got some story that it needed to be installed even though I have the GPS bracket. I plugged a mates Garmin 650 into the bracket on the weekend and it worked fine. The touch screen with gloves was pretty good and at $530 I think I will go with that but I know not being able to use the controller will annoy me! I don't think the extra features from the integrated unit are a big deal but I do like the idea being able to control it with two hands on the handlebars.
At adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:58 AM   #9030
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by At adventure View Post
What is the dealer wanting to charge you for the BMW Nav IV? I was quoted $1600 which seems outrageous. I got some story that it needed to be installed even though I have the GPS bracket. I plugged a mates Garmin 650 into the bracket on the weekend and it worked fine. The touch screen with gloves was pretty good and at $530 I think I will go with that but I know not being able to use the controller will annoy me! I don't think the extra features from the integrated unit are a big deal but I do like the idea being able to control it with two hands on the handlebars.
That really sucks. BMW also fleeces customers in Japan with bike and parts prices being much higher than in the US, but the Nav IV is sells for a pretty reasonable $700. Could be wrong but I think it just has to be enabled by the dealer if the bracket and handlebar control are already on the bike. Have you asked BMW OZ about the cost?