Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2013, 07:40 AM   #9046
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,599
Saw a new WCGS going US1 south in Cary, NC this morning at 06:37 redish in color and with all three boxes...

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:44 AM   #9047
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Cowboy View Post
I took delivery of the new water cooler (wasserkuhler) yesterday. I rode to work from the dealer, then home last night.

It is an incredible ride compared to the Vstrom DL1000 that I traded in. The only thing I'll miss about the Vee is the fact that it was paid for long ago.

The balance, and ride are great. I've nevr had cruise control on a bike and wonder how I ever did without it. I'll be playing with the ESA settings for awhile to find a sweet spot or spots for me.

This one had Michelin Anakee tires, where all the others in stock had Metzlers. Even the sales guy was surprised. The wheels are alloy and I actually like they way they look. No hardcore back country bashing is foreseen in the near future, so I'll hold off on spokers. I may get some with a different set of tires as backups for when I plan to use them.

Thanks to all who advised on the LED head light. The light is crisp, clean and very white with a nice beam pattern. LED lights up reflective signs like nothing else. There is no hint of annoying blue like HIDs. The output very nice, but it isn't life changing. I can't compare it to the halogen equipped model, as I haven't ridden one at night.

An outstanding overall riding experience. If you get one get used to lots of looks and positive comments. Guess I'll have to get used to it as the Vee was largely ignored.

Pics to come tomorrow as I'm too busy today.

I guess I'm now a GSW Beta tester, and general all around guinea pig!
Nice.

Everyone wants to talk about it at the gas pumps, and with earplugs in I can only see lips move. I assume they are saying nice things...

The Harley guy at the end of the block gave me a thumbs up too
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:01 AM   #9048
Hambonee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
I took delivery of the new water cooler (wasserkuhler) yesterday. I rode to work from the dealer, then home last night.

It is an incredible ride compared to the Vstrom DL1000 that I traded in. The only thing I'll miss about the Vee is the fact that it was paid for long ago.

The balance, and ride are great. I've nevr had cruise control on a bike and wonder how I ever did without it. I'll be playing with the ESA settings for awhile to find a sweet spot or spots for me.

This one had Michelin Anakee tires, where all the others in stock had Metzlers. Even the sales guy was surprised. The wheels are alloy and I actually like they way they look. No hardcore back country bashing is foreseen in the near future, so I'll hold off on spokers. I may get some with a different set of tires as backups for when I plan to use them.

Thanks to all who advised on the LED head light. The light is crisp, clean and very white with a nice beam pattern. LED lights up reflective signs like nothing else. There is no hint of annoying blue like HIDs. The output very nice, but it isn't life changing. I can't compare it to the halogen equipped model, as I haven't ridden one at night.

An outstanding overall riding experience. If you get one get used to lots of looks and positive comments. Guess I'll have to get used to it as the Vee was largely ignored.

It is a nice bike! So much better on the rough roads around me than my Norge. BUt a very much different bike so to be expected.

I do feel like a beta tester though..lol...never thought of it that way till ya said it and oh well...hopefully the bike treats me well.
Hambonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:29 AM   #9049
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 47,433
IMO Beta testing demands the purchase of the extended warranty.

And includes riding the shit out of the bike to see if it's got any weaknesses while the bike is under the stock and extended warranties.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #9050
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,503
I've ordered mine (ok, it came in before the money did) and I haven't seen one yet. Mine's got the GPS prep, but can that be used with a touratech locking mount? I thought the prep was essentially just wiring.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:34 AM   #9051
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
Schuberths comm system is made by Cardo. So I guess they don't make the BMW comm system.
Thanks!
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:42 AM   #9052
Jarvis
DC GSer

Oddometer: 10,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinez View Post
IMO Beta testing demands the purchase of the extended warranty.

And includes riding the shit out of the bike to see if it's got any weaknesses while the bike is under the stock and extended warranties.
Too be a true beta-tester, you have to mix up the riding styles encountered by the bike. The best way to do that, IMO, is lend it to friends visiting from out-of-town.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #9053
The Last Cowboy
Gettin' by

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvis View Post
Too be a true beta-tester, you have to mix up the riding styles encountered by the bike. The best way to do that, IMO, is lend it to friends visiting from out-of-town.
I let anyone ride the Vee who wanted to. If some wants to ride this one....

As far as extended waranties...I never buy them for anything. This has a 3 year 36K factory warranty. I'm of the belief that a faulty part of poor initail assembly will be exposed quickly. Call me reckless!
2007 DL1000 Vstrom
The Last Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #9054
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 47,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvis View Post
Hi Aaron...Thanks for everything.

Hey wait...aren't you the guy who talked me into selling the bike I was going to keep for out of town guests? (It sold in 2 days. Which makes me think that I should have asked for more.)

You're now stuck choosing between the Harley and the XR.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:54 PM   #9055
Jarvis
DC GSer

Oddometer: 10,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinez View Post

You're now stuck choosing between the Harley and the XR.
You misspelled "new 2014 water-cooled 1200 GS."
Old 05-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #9056
sbrownn
SlowMo

Oddometer: 457
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljm View Post
The EnduroPro plug is Red. It has a dummy black plug initially.
When it's installed press the mode button & cycle thru the modes if you have EnduroPro u will see it.
Thanks.
Everything is as it should be.
sbrownn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:27 PM   #9057
At adventure
AB

Oddometer: 126
Suspension

Quote:

My advice on the suspension is not to form an opinion too quickly. Initially I thought that Normal was a tad hard on rough roads and would dial it down to Soft. After 3000km in varying conditions what I have learned is that the default settings (e.g. Normal when in Road mode) are very good. You get the road feel but not the jarring. On my 2010 GS I got the same feel but ended up with a sore lower back but not with the LC. Maybe the seat (much better) is helping but I suspect it is the active suspention that is working its magic!
At adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:41 AM   #9058
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpa View Post
Nice.

Everyone wants to talk about it at the gas pumps, and with earplugs in I can only see lips move. I assume they are saying nice things...

The Harley guy at the end of the block gave me a thumbs up too
Over here GSes are very common, and most people don't see the difference between the new one and old one. Only other GS drivers tend to notice it. Although the LED sticks out enough for people to notice it just a bit more than my old bike.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:50 AM   #9059
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
Over here GSes are very common, and most people don't see the difference between the new one and old one. Only other GS drivers tend to notice it. Although the LED sticks out enough for people to notice it just a bit more than my old bike.
BMWs in general here (specifcally meaning in my town) are an exception, with the closest dealer a couple hours away. We have Triumph, Ducati and KTM dealers in town though so the BMW becomes a little more rare. You're right though, only the serious bike fans know the WC model and that it's different. With GS's being pretty rare in the area though, it stands out.

nwpa screwed with this post 05-24-2013 at 04:27 AM
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:20 AM   #9060
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpa View Post
BMWs in general here (specifcally in my town) are an exception, with the closest dealer a couple hours away. We have Triumph, Ducati and KTM dealers in town though so the BMW becomes a little more rare. You're right though, only the serious bike fans know the WC model and that it's different. With GS's being pretty rare in the area though, it stands out.
In my region most people use their bikes only for hollidays (not that much congestion), so they don't come out that much. If I go to the area of my office it gets crouded and about 10% of employees drives a motorcycle.
But as my parents told me: we've seen another bike like yours. At least we think so. It has the same LED light.
In my country the GS is the best selling bike (in the +125cc), and on place 3 is the GSA. In the beamer club at least half of the members drive a GS.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote