Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #9106
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,839
A little update from my trip to Italy....

We rode from Varese, north through Italy into Switzerland, then into the Black Forest in Germany. Once in Germany, we did over 100kms on the autobahn.

For everyone talking about instability and head shake in previous posts, that's complete BS. I rode my bike off the clock (155mph indicated, 144mph on the GPS) with loaded panniers and soft luggage, on and off for the 100 clicks, and NOT ONCE was the bike unstable.

Guys, this bike absolutely ROCKS, and a GS really shouldn't do what this thing can do! After the 'bahn, the bike feels much looser, and eager, so if you get an opportunity to run it at max for a good few miles, do it!
Old 05-27-2013, 01:30 PM   #9107
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post

We rode from Varese, north through Italy into Switzerland, then into the Black Forest in Germany. Once in Germany, we did over 100kms on the autobahn.

For everyone talking about instability and head shake in previous posts, that's complete BS. I rode my bike off the clock (155mph indicated, 144mph on the GPS) with loaded panniers and soft luggage, on and off for the 100 clicks, and NOT ONCE was the bike unstable.

Guys, this bike absolutely ROCKS, and a GS really shouldn't do what this thing can do! After the 'bahn, the bike feels much looser, and eager, so if you get an opportunity to run it at max for a good few miles, do it!
WOW!

Was that the max. speed it could reach too?
How close where you to limiter? Did you hit it?
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #9108
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg View Post
Yesterday on a casual inspection of my 37,000-mile '10 MTS1200, I found the countershaft nut about ready to fall off !! OK, my fault, but I may have to "rethink" my claim that dealing with a chain is a non-issue. Guess I don't have the technical savvy to handle maintaining a chain.

Been looking at GSs for years; the new LC one looks very nice, but I'm trying to avoid a test-ride for another year (Mrs. Greg's appeal). At 5-8 they've always felt too large for me; Multi felt just right.

And a year from now, what value d'ya think a Multi 12 with 75,000 miles is gonna have (if the bottom end makes it)? Nil, I would imagine.

Have enjoyed very much reading riders' opinions of the new LC bike; keep 'em coming .

--Doc
I think the value of a Ducati is like a lot of European cars, high purchase price but low second hand market because the second hand buyers see high maintenance and running costs. Whilst I'd like better trade prices I just see the depreciation as a cost for the fun I have, and my equation for value is would I pay the amount for the enjoyment return . As I sit here typing listening to the ringing in my ears I think I need a change so the wind noise disappears.

I purchased the Multi as a road bike, there is no way the bike is 4 bikes in one, perhaps 3 but not a serious dirt road bike. All bikes will travel a dirt road, but have a Multi fall over and you are going to be stuck without brake reservoir , clutch reservoir , and serious panel damage. Putting some steel around the outside will not stop the hand guards getting broken, and they hold the clutch and brake fluid containers. No rear brake soft wheels that bend on light rough roads all make this a road bike not an off road bike.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #9109
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,547
the word on the street is about the side stand. Word is out that if you remove the "tang" used to deploy the side stand, that action might cause a the water to leak....

IDK,
ymmv
jus sayin'

even still, it is a great bike as long as you have access to a dealer

Old 05-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #9110
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racegun View Post
the word on the street is about the side stand. Word is out that if you remove the "tang" used to deploy the side stand, that action might cause a the water to leak....

IDK,
ymmv
jus sayin'

even still, it is a great bike as long as you have access to a dealer

I just put another 250 miles on mine today. The more time I spend on the bike, the more I love it. I was on some miserably rough broken tarmac on some backroads today (half broken pavement, half dirt, all rough) and the GS was simply amazing. I wouldn't say that I thought it was smooth, but it took the road better than any bike I've been on, and never left me feeling insecure about what I thought the bike was going to do.

Leave the sideroads to the highway, and 6th gear rollons pull smoothly from grunt levels to beyond legal speeds.

I've yet to find a trace of headshake, but I'm not likely to be doing 50mph standing runs off-road, if that's what it takes.

Mileage is 45-48mpg, range is comfortably 200 miles to a tank, at 200 you're looking around for gas. So far my issues only seem to be related to the panniers not fitting and the windscreen being installed too tight, but otherwise its been perfect.
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:34 PM   #9111
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,076
Quote:
Sounds like BMW's move to ensure the forks stay bolted to the triple clamp did the trick!
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:25 PM   #9112
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
[*]Torque comes high RPM (although better than older MTS)
NLS, do us all a favor and actually ride one and report back.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:44 PM   #9113
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,839
Quote:
WOW!

Was that the max. speed it could reach too?
How close where you to limiter? Did you hit it?
It was in rush hour so I ran out of road. Too much traffic, but the LED headlight got the attention of drivers, so they moved out of the way. With a bit more road, I reckon it would top out at 150mph. Remove the panniers and soft luggage, and who knows!
Old 05-27-2013, 10:38 PM   #9114
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,076
Has anyone wired up a set of aftermarket driving lights to the led headlight-equipped LC? Trying to figure out how to wire them so they switch on with the high beams.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:13 AM   #9115
PeterGSA
NSW Adv Rider

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalB View Post
Here is my take:

I currently own a 2011 Multistrada, which I love. When I bought it, the GS was the contender, but my choice was decided by the excitement and fun factor. the GS was just too staid in comparison. I was a road biased rider, so that clinched it. (I have since discovered the MTS is dirt road capable) A few weeks ago I took the new 2013 GS out for a spin. Not a lot of chance to fully try it, but I did a deep lean charge onto an on ramp and a few power bursts on the highway. This new bike is a contender for the what comes after a multistrada.

Here is my summary of the advantages:
    • It has all the modes, changeable on the fly as the mts. more obvious buttons to push too. User friendly operation (MTS computer is PITA)
    • BMW wheels fit 60/40 road/dirt tires
    • way better cockpit comfort, soft seat, with several adjustment options, very effective screen, so much calmer back there, built in hiss flaps.
    • cruise control
    • no chain
    • workable luggage
    • @125HP, is 25 less than the MTS, but IMHO just slightly less overkill. The torque is brilliant, as much as I would use on the MTS anyways
    • This is not last years GS, it is a different bike, consciously made street capable, like they had the MTS in mind.
    • Self adjusting suspension, I couldn't tell, not enough bumps, but it was a very smooth ride.
    • smooth light clutch and Honda like silky precise and quiet gearbox, nothing remotely clunky
    • no chain
    • handled so easily, not sure what comes together for that feel
    • throttle response is not like the usual hesitant bmw style, very much direct action like the MTS.
    • 20 litre tank, I'm guessing anything gets better mileage than the mts
    • capable rear brake
    • 500lbs wet = MTS
    • no chain did I say
Disadvantages.
  • about $26K with all the whistles.
  • get to look like Charlie and Ewen clones.
  • 1st year anything, wait and see

MTS advantages:
  • red
  • sexy
  • red
  • faster (as if I could)
  • personality and character
  • it is a truly exciting ride
  • get to say "I ride a Ducati"
  • can wear a ducati baseball hat
  • many small quirks, but overall a brilliant ride

NOt that I am running out to change teams, I took the Ducati up to Squamish today and didn't wish I was on the beemer. But in the next year or two, if I might get itchy to upgrade, this one is definitely a contender.
Very well said. 100% true. I do miss that character filled motor. I am much more likely to keep my licence now, I hope.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:09 AM   #9116
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
NLS, do us all a favor and actually ride one and report back.
I did.
Not one that has been run-in and a rather early model (don't know if there are ECU updates that change things).

Quote:
It was in rush hour so I ran out of road. Too much traffic, but the LED headlight got the attention of drivers, so they moved out of the way. With a bit more road, I reckon it would top out at 150mph. Remove the panniers and soft luggage, and who knows!
What you did that with hard panniers sticking out???
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:52 AM   #9117
Voz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
So someone has to return to that every few posts.
Great. Who's next?
NLS,

I actually don't mind your posts, not sure why some are giving you shit here. It is easy enough to ignore so don't worry about it.

I am happy for any info on my GSW from fellow owners and admirers.

2013 R1200 GSW Red - Blown Engine & Gearbox (clutch basket nut issue)
2015 R1200 GSW White - On order to replace blown up 13 GSW
2006 Yamaha FZ6S
Voz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:04 AM   #9118
grahamspc
Smitty

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by voz View Post
nls,

i actually don't mind your posts, not sure why some are giving you shit here. It is easy enough to ignore so don't worry about it.

I am happy for any info on my gsw from fellow owners and admirers.
+1
grahamspc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:11 AM   #9119
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 899
Quote:

Instability I won't call it, rather a wobble (only noticed in combination with wire spoked rims) only appears between 80 and 120 kph (50 to 75 mph).
It is stable at 120 mph with its 2 side panniers.
Never taken it over 132 mph (GPS), and I did have some revs over. I don't think it can go over 140mph (to short gearing).

Leaving for germany tomorrow, but I probably won't do a top speed run. But I like the mid range pick up best. The in gear pull is stunning.

And on the other side. I can outmanoeuver a 125 cc scooter with my GS around town, I just have to keep in mind it is 1m wide.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:48 AM   #9120
At adventure
AB

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
Instability I won't call it, rather a wobble (only noticed in combination with wire spoked rims) only appears between 80 and 120 kph (50 to 75 mph).
It is stable at 120 mph with its 2 side panniers.
Never taken it over 132 mph (GPS), and I did have some revs over. I don't think it can go over 140mph (to short gearing).

Leaving for germany tomorrow, but I probably won't do a top speed run. But I like the mid range pick up best. The in gear pull is stunning.

And on the other side. I can outmanoeuver a 125 cc scooter with my GS around town, I just have to keep in mind it is 1m wide.
Yep exactly the same wobble on mine. Wire wheels and only noticeable above 80km on a smooth road and in a straight line! Does not spook me and is not
even noticeable in the twisties just annoying with the cruise control on. I think it is the tyre but am going to suck in up for a few more thousand km (to over 5000km) to see if it irons out as the dealer has suggested.
At adventure is offline   Reply With Quote