Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #9151
At adventure
AB

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
Wobble is a big term (even as I used it myself). I only notice it when riding handsfree and even than it is not really scarry or affecting the stability. And it is not always there. I am running the metzlers atm. But my next set will be Michelin (PR3 or anakee 3). It might be a bad balanced wheel (that causes this at a certain frequency), but it doesn't bother me so I won't get it looked after. With the next set of tires I'll look at it.
My metzlers are also showing signs of highwayuse (flattening) after 3000 miles.
Same here - Metzler Tourance. Hands free excentuates the vibration through the handlebars (just to test - not a habit!). And I agree the term "wobble" is a bit harsh. No flat spot on my tyres and it sounds like we are in the minority here so I would not pin the issue on the wire wheels which are trick! Apparently a few of the perrelli scorpions for the previous GS were prone to a similar issue. These like the new Tourances have quite a smooth profile Vs the old Tourance tyres that I really liked. Having said all that the new tyres in the twisties with the Dynamic setting on are sensational and seem to be pretty sure footed on fire trails off road so I am not rushing out to change them.
At adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:36 PM   #9152
atg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamspc View Post
+1
+1
atg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:15 PM   #9153
erkmania
Still Adventuring

Oddometer: 838
"Wobble" is not an adjective and is neither "harsh" or benign. A wobble is only a wobble. Wobble is merely a verb that describes the instability attributed to unstable side-to-side movement of the front wheel cum handlebars.

A weave, OTOH, is unstable movement of the motorcycle behind the steering axis. However, a weave can be misconstrued as a wobble since a rear-end instability can affect the front end/handlebars.

I remember reading an article about Honda and how they designed their motorcycles to include the rider as a steering damping factor. IOW, they allowed their motorcycles to naturally wobble (somewhat!) in the 35 to 45 mph range if the rider had his/her hands off of the bars; the thinking being that the motorcycle was slightly unstable which maximized turning ability versus stability.

I won't describe this more here since I fear my description is SO dry that my throat will close from dryness.

2011 BMW R1200GS, 2004 KTM 950, 1996 ATK 605 ESDS
erkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #9154
cyclingjetpilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by At adventure View Post
Yep exactly the same wobble on mine. Wire wheels and only noticeable above 80km on a smooth road and in a straight line! Does not spook me and is not
even noticeable in the twisties just annoying with the cruise control on. I think it is the tyre but am going to suck in up for a few more thousand km (to over 5000km) to see if it irons out as the dealer has suggested.
I have the same issue Metzler, and spoked wheels. I was at dealer today and they test road, and confirmed the wobble, shake or whatever you call it. I can feel all the time just frequecy changes with speed. Dealers going to try new tire when available. I test road the demo bike non spoked wheels, with same tires no shake or wobble at all.
cyclingjetpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:11 PM   #9155
Beemster
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Laugh

Just picked up my 1200GSW on the weekend. Premium package with spoked wheels. I owned a R1200RT and a f800gs, both of which I sold to get the new Water Boxer. I now have about 400 miles on it with about 100 being on forest service roads. So far I would say its the best decision I ever made. Some comparisons:
My RT boxer didnt run anywhere near as smooth, have anywhere near the power of the new motor. The RT tranny was a clunker, but the new clutch and tranny are a dream. The old engine would lug and learch if i didnt have it geared just right, but the new motor pulls strong and smooth in all gears. Another big difference is the shaft drive. On the rt i had considerable lash at low speeds when i would blip the throttle, but i have absolutely none of that on the gsw. The gsw pulls so hard that you better keep a tight grip as it wants to pull away from you. Never had that issue on the RT. The suspension and ride is orders smoother and more responsive than the rt, which suprised me.
I really liked my f800gs, but there were several things about it that bothered me. The seat was very uncomfortable, the wind protection poor, even after i tried several aftermarket shields. The bike stood a bit too tall, and it felt like it had a high cg which made it feel heavy and a bit unstable. Perhaps my biggest issue with the f800gs was the light and squirrely steering, both on highway and in the dirt. The new gsw however has none of these issues. It feels much more stable both on road AND off. I have ridden the gsw over the same dirt roads as the f800gs and it is far more sure footed and stable. I have ridden over sandy, washboard roads, on the pegs at slow and high speeds and it was perfectly stable, even without knobby tires. The gsw, while heavier than the f800gs, has a lower cg which makes it feel more stable and maneuverable.
The new wind screen is just perfect...no more hunting around for aftermarket solutions. Seat is super comfortable, brakes are better, cruise contol is slick. Something else I really like is the sound! At cruising speeds its quiet, but when you get on the throttle it purrs like a Ferrari - very cool.
This is just the perfect bike in my opinion, for long hauls on the road and on dirt trails. Can you tell I love this bike?
Beemster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:51 PM   #9156
J Lewis
Numb Nuts

Oddometer: 498

Stability and light steering feel should not be confused. As shown here.

JIMMY
J Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:03 AM   #9157
atg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Lewis View Post

JIMMY
Great explanation ! Thanks, I have learned some more !

Andre
atg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:32 AM   #9158
PeterGSA
NSW Adv Rider

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by 990 View Post
Getting a 1200 LC on Friday and I just wondered if the setting get stored if you turn the ignition on and off. I rode a KTM 1190 and the traction control and abs keep coming back on after you turn the bike on and off. My one has every conceivable extra except the cruise control. (not that I wanted it but that's all the brought into SA)
Have a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v37bzZl3-k
Old 05-29-2013, 07:17 AM   #9159
kindofblue
Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer: 822
+1. Thanks Jimmy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atg View Post
Great explanation ! Thanks, I have learned some more !Andre
Get saddlesore when riding? Check these shorts out

kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:05 AM   #9160
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 47,622
Quote:

JIMMY
Hi Jimmy,
You've cleared up that confusion with your typical easy to understand explanation. Thanks for that!

Now the question becomes:

What do you think of the overall 13GSW package?

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:27 AM   #9161
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,028
Quote:

JIMMY
Very professional video... :)
Thanks.
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:27 AM   #9162
J Lewis
Numb Nuts

Oddometer: 498
This is the best GS I have ridden in every aspect.

For some the throttle response in any mode may be too much and the "hard" settings for off road will encourage riders to do things that will break bikes or hurt bodies (it can get pretty stiff, fooling you about the weight of the bike). Yet if you ride it within reason the bike is really good. I hope the adventure is even better, I need the fuel range!
J Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:17 AM   #9163
Stinez

Quote:
This is the best GS I have ridden in every aspect.

For some the throttle response in any mode may be too much and the "hard" settings for off road will encourage riders to do things that will break bikes or hurt bodies (it can get pretty stiff, fooling you about the weight of the bike). Yet if you ride it within reason the bike is really good. I hope the adventure is even better, I need the fuel range!
Thanks again.

I'm jumping into the 13GSW world and I plan to stay within my and the bikes ability because I'd just as soon not have to heal or fix either of those things.

Now to find out what that ability is without doing the damage I'd just as soon avoid.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #9164
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by At adventure View Post
Yep exactly the same wobble on mine. Wire wheels and only noticeable above 80km on a smooth road and in a straight line! Does not spook me and is not
even noticeable in the twisties just annoying with the cruise control on. I think it is the tyre but am going to suck in up for a few more thousand km (to over 5000km) to see if it irons out as the dealer has suggested.
I picked up mine yesterday. Did 250 miles back from the dealership. I have the wire wheels and the thing is rock steady. No wobble, wibble, shimmy, or any head shake. And a rode a little (very little) hands free. The bike came with Conti Trail Attack 2 tires. Love it! I'm waiting for the break-in period to be over. Its tough to keep it below 5,000 RPMs.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:01 AM   #9165
Stinez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed View Post
I picked up mine yesterday. Did 250 miles back from the dealership. I have the wire wheels and the thing is rock steady. No wobble, wibble, shimmy, or any head shake. And a rode a little (very little) hands free. The bike came with Conti Trail Attack 2 tires. Love it! I'm waiting for the break-in period to be over. Its tough to keep it below 5,000 RPMs.
My dealer has told me that they'd like me to play nice for the first hundred miles.
After that they want me to ride it like it's meant to be ridden with the only recommendations being to vary the RPM and to load the rings on the down shift as well as the up shift.

They've also told me that the 1000+ miles I'll likely have on the bike before the first service won't be a problem. (I'm zigging and zagging through some passes on day 2 through 4 of ownership.)
(The bike docks in New Jersey on June 1st so pick up looks to be June 22 or 29)

Stinez screwed with this post 05-29-2013 at 10:21 AM