Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2013, 07:49 PM   #9556
atwoodtja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Its smoother at around 75 mph than 80, fwiw, but not sure if this changes as the breakin smooths things out.

The steering is also very light at highway speeds, lighter than any bike I've ridden. I used to think my multistrada was a bit light at the front end at 70, but it feels like a model of heavy-steering stability by comparison. The GS recovers fine, but is easily moved by light steering inputs and road deflections. This doesn't really bother me since I usually avoid highways like the plague, but highway touring types might want to think about a steering damper, IMHO, just to be able to relax a bit more. I'm not sure how knobbies will feel, either. My bike came with Trail Attacks.

This thing just rails thru 30-50 mph corners. Haven't done enough sweepers to have an opinion there yet.
atwoodtja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #9557
ACD
old nOOb

Oddometer: 328
Visited the dealership today and was very impressed by the GSLC. The smooth throttle is fantastic.
It got me thinking about reliability: how sturdy and failproof that throttle has to be, to live up to the standards set by previous versions of the GS?
Has any concern been addressed?
(Sorry if issue was already discussed but my searches returned nothing)
ACD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:15 PM   #9558
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACD View Post
Visited the dealership today and was very impressed by the GSLC. The smooth throttle is fantastic.
It got me thinking about reliability: how sturdy and failproof that throttle has to be, to live up to the standards set by previous versions of the GS?
Has any concern been addressed?
Far too early to answer a question like that, no one has had a chance to rack up high mileage yet.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:27 AM   #9559
DMilan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by atwoodtja View Post
Its smoother at around 75 mph than 80, fwiw, but not sure if this changes as the breakin smooths things out.

The steering is also very light at highway speeds, lighter than any bike I've ridden. I used to think my multistrada was a bit light at the front end at 70, but it feels like a model of heavy-steering stability by comparison. The GS recovers fine, but is easily moved by light steering inputs and road deflections. This doesn't really bother me since I usually avoid highways like the plague, but highway touring types might want to think about a steering damper, IMHO, just to be able to relax a bit more. I'm not sure how knobbies will feel, either. My bike came with Trail Attacks.

This thing just rails thru 30-50 mph corners. Haven't done enough sweepers to have an opinion there yet.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...47883778,d.aWc

This YOU TUBE video has been bouncing around.. demonstrates the VERY LIGHT Steering you refer to.
I test rode a couple WC, very light, like nothing I've ever owned.

Curious, I tried the same sort of HITTING THE GRIP/BAR END, as seen on the video while riding my 650 Vstrom and my 2003 K1200GT. The Vstrom has a "go cruise" throttle lock, and of course the K12GT has electronic cruise control, like the WC. DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME KIDS.

The Vstrom is no where near as affected by HITTING the GRIP/BAR END.
Seemingly, nearly unfased in fact. The Vstrom has no steering damper.

My 2003 K1200GT, well, seems like you'd have to hit it with a sledge hammer to get it shudder. The GT has a steering damper. The GT is reluctant to change direction even when pushing it around in my garage. You gotta muscle it around. Tiring really.

My .02, I'd bet you'll see that lightness firmed up a bit in years /models to come. Either with a damper or steering geometry tweeks...

d'milan

DMilan screwed with this post 06-16-2013 at 06:46 AM
DMilan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:58 AM   #9560
herrdirektor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Blast to ride

So I picked up the GS on Friday. Cannot add much to the test ride last week, except that the low seat is more comfortable than hoped for. The bike gives a lot of joy to ride. I came back after a second ride on Friday and felt like going again. Love the sound, the handling and the dynamic mode.

herrdirektor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:37 AM   #9561
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 5,014
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #9562
Hot coffee
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Low seat

Where can I find low seat and bar backs for my 2013 gs 1200
Hot coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:45 PM   #9563
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 19,247
Can anyone tell me what "Automatic odometer (TRIP A)" is all about?
Old 06-16-2013, 04:50 PM   #9564
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Can anyone tell me what "Automatic odometer (TRIP A)" is all about?
Basically your day's total mileage. I reset my Trip 1 for fuel, Trip 2 for Oil. Today when I left I'd had about 20 miles since my last fuel-up, I rode 110 miles, which my Trip A reflected. It's just a quick way to let you know how far you've traveled in the day, it resets automatically.
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #9565
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpa View Post
Basically your day's total mileage. I reset my Trip 1 for fuel, Trip 2 for Oil. Today when I left I'd had about 20 miles since my last fuel-up, I rode 110 miles, which my Trip A reflected. It's just a quick way to let you know how far you've traveled in the day, it resets automatically.
A daily trip odometer? So, at midnight or some such, it resets automagically? Really?
Old 06-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #9566
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
A daily trip odometer? So, at midnight or some such, it resets automagically? Really?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=8121
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:32 PM   #9567
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Wow. Ok. And I have read this entire thread, but forgot that.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:09 AM   #9568
ACD
old nOOb

Oddometer: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Far too early to answer a question like that, no one has had a chance to rack up high mileage yet.
I agree. My concern is about the concept of having another "high tech" feature in a bike that should be bulletproof. How many times we hit the handlebars offroad? Branches, rocks, puddles, etc. I can bypass the sidestand sensor if it breaks or improvise if the throttle cable snaps, but if the fly-by-wire thing is damaged, I'm done! This may be a rhetorical issue for most GS owners but some still ride offroad or to the end of the world in long trips, with no dealerships within a 1,000 miles radius.

Even though this post has to do with the new GSLC, it is not a criticism to the bike. I'll start a new thread, technology x reliability.
ACD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:11 AM   #9569
At adventure
AB

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMilan View Post
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...47883778,d.aWc

This YOU TUBE video has been bouncing around.. demonstrates the VERY LIGHT Steering you refer to.
I test rode a couple WC, very light, like nothing I've ever owned.

Curious, I tried the same sort of HITTING THE GRIP/BAR END, as seen on the video while riding my 650 Vstrom and my 2003 K1200GT. The Vstrom has a "go cruise" throttle lock, and of course the K12GT has electronic cruise control, like the WC. DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME KIDS.

The Vstrom is no where near as affected by HITTING the GRIP/BAR END.
Seemingly, nearly unfased in fact. The Vstrom has no steering damper.

My 2003 K1200GT, well, seems like you'd have to hit it with a sledge hammer to get it shudder. The GT has a steering damper. The GT is reluctant to change direction even when pushing it around in my garage. You gotta muscle it around. Tiring really.

My .02, I'd bet you'll see that lightness firmed up a bit in years /models to come. Either with a damper or steering geometry tweeks...

d'milan
That is a great video but what it says to me is that light steering does not mean instability. In fact the video shows how stable it is. If anything staying loose in your hips verses hanging on tightly to the bars is the key to stability. I can not see that a steering damper is required on road maybe off road in sand?
At adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:24 AM   #9570
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACD View Post
I agree. My concern is about the concept of having another "high tech" feature in a bike that should be bulletproof. How many times we hit the handlebars offroad? Branches, rocks, puddles, etc. I can bypass the sidestand sensor if it breaks or improvise if the throttle cable snaps, but if the fly-by-wire thing is damaged, I'm done! This may be a rhetorical issue for most GS owners but some still ride offroad or to the end of the world in long trips, with no dealerships within a 1,000 miles radius.

Even though this post has to do with the new GSLC, it is not a criticism to the bike. I'll start a new thread, technology x reliability.
This is a huge subject that I think have been discussed like a thousand times esp. in this forum.
As back as you can go, some things are considered "new and high tech" while others get to become "trusted and mainstream" that you don't think about and consider them the default actually.
So where do you draw the line and why?
Today ABS is standard for all BMW and pretty common for most bikes. Remember the discussions about how they are actually worse than a good rider modulating his hand? Or that they don't give you control? Or that if they break you don't expect that and would end up crashing the bike? Or even that they "unteach" you braking? This can go on for pretty much everything. Is fuel injection servicable in the middle of nowhere?
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote