Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2013, 04:54 PM   #9736
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tancakar View Post
I am sure the bmw GS LC is a very capable bike and surely can reach 220 km /h as I actually ridden it, but the 1190 ktm is more of near a range of a multisrada on road. I wish bmw put a steering damper just incase . I think bmw comfort levels are amazing and the wind protection is perfect.
WGS exceeds 220 easily (actually even previous GS comes pretty close to 220), but 1190 still has larger v-max.
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:15 PM   #9737
Bazgab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Speaking in a purely hypothetical manner, if one wanted to see how the new sporkhead wheelies, what are the settings that allow it?
Like NLS said, ASC off and Dynamic will make it easiest. I did a couple by turning ASC off and was in Road mode. The bike wheelies very easily, I notice the wheel coming up a little before the ASC intervenes any time I am being aggressive from a stop. (again mostly in Road mode)
Bazgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:53 AM   #9738
RoteEddie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
The GS is geared for 242 km/h according to Motorrad.

I am looking for a new touring bike and have the following on my shortlist:
BMW R1200GSW
KTM 1190 Adventure
Ducati Multistrada
KTM 990 SMT

I believe the GS looks like a fantastic bike. I have owned several GS and GSA's plus a Megamoto and love the boxer engine. I can hardly go wrong choosing one as my next bike.

The new 1190 Adv also looks like a fantastic bike, on paper at least The looks I find challenging to put it mildly. Along with the Multi it is considerably faster than the new GS above 150 km/h. Not sure I need that from an adventure bike.
12' KTM 690 Enduro R Evo2
RoteEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:27 AM   #9739
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoteEddie View Post

BMW R1200GSW
KTM 1190 Adventure
Ducati Multistrada
KTM 990 SMT

I believe the GS looks like a fantastic bike. I have owned several GS and GSA's plus a Megamoto and love the boxer engine. I can hardly go wrong choosing one as my next bike.

The new 1190 Adv also looks like a fantastic bike, on paper at least The looks I find challenging to put it mildly. Along with the Multi it is considerably faster than the new GS above 150 km/h. Not sure I need that from an adventure bike.
I don't think BMW GS and KTM Adventure can be beaten in sheer versatility by any other brand/model. This hasn't actually changed from the last models (non-LC GS and 950/990 Adventure) or from the entry of other challengers.

Both can accomplice VERY much (usually more than what the rider can) but they reach the same goal following a slightly different path.

Each rider has his priorities.
For me, GS is "wild" enough (KTM is wilder), powerful enough (KTM is more powerful). It is more comfortable and ergonomic than KTM, it has more "usable" power and along with it being so neutral and flickable completes the road part fine. Off road it is MORE than capable, but requires a bit different technique than KTM - trust me goes to the same places though. I like the telelever, I like the brand name, I LOVE the boxer (and because of which my right foot is still in place - twice) and LOVE the shaft (chain-off-sproket twice, both with wife and luggage, once on a mountain, was enough of a lesson). Latest KTM Adventure is very ugly IMHO, while latest GS is looking better than the last (which strangely enough now has the acceptance of most riders "looks"-wise).

I think those two are still the King and Queen of the type (the big version of do-it-all-good-enough, that has many names); Actually since this type of motorcycles in my mind is also the best type, I actually believe those two are the King and Queen of two wheels. But that's just me.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:14 AM   #9740
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoteEddie View Post

BMW R1200GSW
KTM 1190 Adventure
Ducati Multistrada
KTM 990 SMT

242 Km/h is relevant, even half of that is enough for Canada :-)
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:35 PM   #9741
Tancakar
Banned

Oddometer: 367
I choose ktm because of their reliability 2 months 2000 miles no problems.. Ktm is Dakar racer they do develope good bikes and I must say bmw is great on creating touring bikes . I wish ktm 1190 had the same comfort of bmw GS wc.
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:54 PM   #9742
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by seatec View Post
PS fellas like us on two wheeled vehicles are referred to as Clydesdales. ;)
In the US these days that's referred to as the target market or normal size ;)

(Just as a disclaimer I am about 250 these days)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:39 PM   #9743
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
I choose ktm because of their reliability 2 months 2000 miles no problems.. Ktm is Dakar racer they do develope good bikes and I must say bmw is great on creating touring bikes . I wish ktm 1190 had the same comfort of bmw GS wc.
Oh the stories I could tell you.
Wrong thread though.

KTM was notorious for their bad reliability (and I have personally definitely witnessed that).
KTM is Dakar racer means what. BMW was too.
Vehicles in Dakar get so much support in a few days you don't get in the whole life of your motorcycle (or your life actually). Most components of the race bikes are "use once and throw away" and actually most components are totally different than what you get when you buy one.
So, that was a non-argument you presented.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:50 PM   #9744
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Hate to agree with NLS but buying a KTM for 'reliability' doesn't make much sense to me.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:40 PM   #9745
UtahDirt
What happened to the Sun?

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Being followed by a factory team with those cool trucks kinda helps in the reliability perception.
14 Harley Ultra Limited Water Pumper
UtahDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:51 PM   #9746
slowpoke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
I just sat on one at the dealer. Low suspension and low seat. I think I might have screwed myself...
slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:29 AM   #9747
RuckedUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,053
Silly question

My bike has a alarm installed, ( confirmed under the rear seat and in the setup function ie. Automatic activation: No) and I have a riders manual for the DWA 6 alarm that came with my bike manual but no alarm controller came with the bike. I called the dealer and was told the alarm is integrated into the key. Ummm no it's not I tell them.

I think they are confusing the alarm with the EWS. Does anyone have a separate alarm controller along with the bike keys? I would like to see a photo so I can show to the dealer here in Germany. They may be confusing German spec bikes with my USA spec bike.
10' KTM 450EXC
84' Honda 500VT Ascot
RuckedUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:03 AM   #9748
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuckedUp View Post
My bike has a alarm installed, ( confirmed under the rear seat and in the setup function ie. Automatic activation: No) and I have a riders manual for the DWA 6 alarm that came with my bike manual but no alarm controller came with the bike. I called the dealer and was told the alarm is integrated into the key. Ummm no it's not I tell them.

I think they are confusing the alarm with the EWS. Does anyone have a separate alarm controller along with the bike keys? I would like to see a photo so I can show to the dealer here in Germany. They may be confusing German spec bikes with my USA spec bike.
Nope, there won't be a separate alarm fob for the LC GS. It was mentioned a couple of hundred pages ago.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:38 AM   #9749
RuckedUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
Nope, there won't be a separate alarm fob for the LC GS. It was mentioned a couple of hundred pages ago.
So a integrated key/fob? There is no way to arm the alarm with the key I have
10' KTM 450EXC
84' Honda 500VT Ascot
RuckedUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:26 AM   #9750
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
How about some help? How is the alarm armed? By setting it to arm when the key is turned off thru menu? Where exactly in over 600 pages is the alarm fob or lack of it mentioned?
thanks...
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote