Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 04:36 AM   #9766
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
That looks somewhat farkled up with 3rd party stuff.

Are those tube-type tires though?
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:59 AM   #9767
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpa View Post
That looks somewhat farkled up with 3rd party stuff.

Are those tube-type tires though?
This is Wunderlich photoshop (it even says so).

As for the tires, no these are still tubeless (the spokes attach differently).
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #9768
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andylaser View Post
Dont know how legit this picture is??

Where is the additional fuel volume?
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #9769
atwoodtja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Just returned from breaking in my grey GS and then heading out on a 2400 mile trip from Boston to Canaan Valley, WV by way of the Catskills, PA, MD and southeast OH on every mostly-paved goat path we could string together. Love the bike so far, with a few minor nits.

FWIW, we don't stop for many pictures because we're usually running 400 mile days, but below is a short, unedited video taken during a Saturday jaunt on a nearby Canaan road by a friend on his s1000rr following me (the indistinct blur up front, sorry) and my brother (2006 FZ1). Set quality to 720hd. I was hoping to get some better stuff where my friend was following me more closely, but he was having trouble getting the camera working right that day. This is the best of the 4 vids he was able to pull off it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of5H5yhRKmw
atwoodtja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #9770
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by atwoodtja View Post
Just returned from breaking in my grey GS and then heading out on a 2400 mile trip from Boston to Canaan Valley, WV by way of the Catskills, PA, MD and southeast OH on every mostly-paved goat path we could string together. Love the bike so far, with a few minor nits.

FWIW, we don't stop for many pictures because we're usually running 400 mile days, but below is a short, unedited video taken during a Saturday jaunt on a nearby Canaan road by a friend on his s1000rr following me (the indistinct blur up front, sorry) and my brother (2006 FZ1). Set quality to 720hd. I was hoping to get some better stuff where my friend was following me more closely, but he was having trouble getting the camera working right that day. This is the best of the 4 vids he was able to pull off it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of5H5yhRKmw
It's a good thing you got one of the fast grey ones to stay ahead of that S1000RR!
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #9771
nickgoa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by atwoodtja View Post
Just returned from breaking in my grey GS and then heading out on a 2400 mile trip .....Love the bike so far, with a few minor nits.
Could you please share your experience on the good and bad.
Thx
nickgoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #9772
atwoodtja
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickgoa View Post
Could you please share your experience on the good and bad.
Thx
Good:
-transmission broke in nicely after first 1000 miles
-gas mileage picked up from 39/40 mpg to 43-45 mpg after 800 miles
-suspension works very well after it broke in and softened up a bit. In Normal, its a bit more plush and slightly less damped than the Ohlins on my Ducati. In Soft, I can attack very bumpy goat paths, though I sometimes found soft to be a bit floaty when the road had big up/down sections. In Hard, its more damped and suitable for smooth and fast roads.
-chassis worked well. Very little driveline lash, though I was surprised that I could feel the shaft gears working thru my left boot, rather like chain drive (I've never had a shaftie). Love the telelever and linked ABS brakes combination, I could do stupidly late braking on just about any corner entrance if I saw any crap as the apex came into view.
-Dynamic mode worked best for my riding, although the big torque lump off idle could stand to be fixed with a remap. It bothered me coming out of tight first gear corners until I remembered that traction control will keep it from biting my ass. I didn't like Road as much because it had a few flat spots, most notably around 5500 rpm.
-the slipper clutch is great, altho it tends to make one lazy about rev-matching on the downshifts.
-tall OEM seat worked well, I didn't get sore until the last (7th) day of the ride.
-adjustable windshield was great for rain/bugs
-engine has great usable power and rev range. you can idle along at 5 mph in traffic, or run it up to 9500 rpm and back down with little vibrations. They did a great job with it.

Bad:
-the steering is too light at high speeds. I'm not saying tank-slappers are imminent, but any cross wind on the freeway will blow you around if you're not firmly gripping the bars. Also, in high-speed sweepers I could not throw the bike from upright to full lean with the same confidence as my ducati because it takes such a precise and delicate touch to avoid any wobbles as you pitch it over. Once its over its stable, but the transition is tricky.
Not sure what would "fix" it: steering damper (I'm looking for one now)? 17" front wheel? An eccentric adjuster on the A-arm to make it more road-worthy and less dirt-worthy? Its kind of a bummer that BMW did not go further in making this bike all things to all people.
- The dial speedo is useless, too small to read at speed. I added digital speed indicator to the right side, works much better.
- conti trail attacks stuck great, but the rear has a flat spot after only 2800 miles and very few freeway miles. I don't expect to get more than 6k out of these at this rate.

I'll probably add more as I think about it, this is a good start. As I said, not many nits.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:44 PM   #9773
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Just Back from 2000 k 4 day ride with wet and dry roads.

Well I had to get my first service with only 600 klms on the clock. Has rained almost every day since I picked the bike up, first time in memory that I have had a first service under the recommended milage. I purchased the bike for this trip , if it hadn't been available as a walk out the door sale I would have been on my 12000 Multi Strada. I do a winter ride each year with a group of 5 or 6 , this year we had 5 bikes starting , and basically were heading from Sydney to Tamworth via the Putty and Glouster , Tamworth to Grafton via Dorrigo and some dirt, then back to Tamworth via Glenn Innnes Inverell and Barraba ,Tamworth Home via Putty.

So I got to ride in some rain some wet dirt roads windy conditions and sunny for the last day. My thoughts were as follows:-

The bike has great areo protection for my six foot frame. Heated grips not as warm as the Multi Strada's, road noise and buffetting much less than the Multi Strada.

The bike improved exponetially as the miles rose, I kept thinking how well the bike is sorted for a first year model. By the way I have the full spec version with wire wheels.

I thought the LED lights a bit lite on , I would have liked more light intensity, they are bright light the road signs up very well but don't seem to have the depth if that makes sense. The bike does seem to pick every bit of dirt and shit up that is on the road and throw it all over the bike, so cleaning will be a have to if your into keepingyour bike looking new.

I found the on road handling very good, bike tracks well and turns in more easy than the Ducati. A little less stable in the corners but this might be a case of getting used to the bikes handling characteristics.

All over I really thought this was a great riding experience, kept thinkingthis bike was so right for me and my style.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #9774
atwoodtja
Gnarly Adventurer

Couple good things I forgot to mention:
-copious footroom, no banging my size 12s on the passenger pegs or centerstand footer (multistrada 12)
-love how narrow the bike is at the front of the seat around the back of the tank, almost as much as my old multistrada.
-deep gas tank neck works great when filling compared to my other bikes.

Adjustments: Aside from dashboard customizations, I adjusted the shift lever down a bit after 1000 miles or so to get more positive upshifts, and rolled the handlebars back about 10 degrees to lower the bars a bit for better cornering feel thru the bars. In general the BMW mechanic who set the bike up got it very close to perfect for me.

One small nit I forgot: BMW screwed up the brake lever placement (or length, take your pick). If you compare clutch to brake in OEM position, you'll see that the ramped portion of the brake lever runs further past the inside edge of the grip than the clutch lever does. If you use two-finger braking, your index finger ends up sliding down on top of the middle finger instead of staying side by side. This is easily fixed by moving the brake cylinder inward from the OEM bar mark about 5 mm. Think the problem is the handlebar marks didn't take into account the difference between left and right side caused by the GPS ring control.

To expand my comments on the steering: it steers a bit too much like my DRZ and not enough like my ducati, IMHO. I don't think this was a mistake so much as a deliberate design decision by BMW to make it steer like a dual sport. This seems ironic given how many complaints there have been on this site about the bike being too biased towards street riding. Though I'm close to the exact size rider the bike was designed for (6'1", 190 lbs), I still would have liked some amount of chassis adjustment available from the factory in the form of an adjustable ride-height link on the rear and/or an eccentric on the A-arm. YMMV, of course.

Note that I didn't get around to changing the preload from rider+luggage to two riders to see how this might have changed the steering dynamics.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:00 PM   #9775
nickgoa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Atwoudja great feedback thx.

Please clarify the digital speed thing you mention is just an option you can configure right? Or did you have to wire a new one in?
nickgoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #9776
iandavid
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickgoa View Post
Atwoudja great feedback thx.

Please clarify the digital speed thing you mention is just an option you can configure right? Or did you have to wire a new one in?
You configure it from the settings mode on the computer pro.
iandavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:20 AM   #9777
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

I'll add another little issue, I find the reach to the rear brake lever a little to far, have to rotate my foot quite a lot to use rear brake, You cannot adjust the lever up , it is designed like thios. Might be more noticable with the boots I wear but would like the lever a little higher.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:52 AM   #9778
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bails View Post
I thought the LED lights a bit lite on , I would have liked more light intensity, they are bright light the road signs up very well but don't seem to have the depth if that makes sense.
You need to adjust the height, as BMW set them too low at the factory. I, and many others have moved the light up, and it's much better.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:15 AM   #9779
Rider1
Ridin' Dave

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bails View Post
I'll add another little issue, I find the reach to the rear brake lever a little to far, have to rotate my foot quite a lot to use rear brake, You cannot adjust the lever up , it is designed like thios. Might be more noticable with the boots I wear but would like the lever a little higher.

From Touratech:

No affilitiation just trying to help.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:54 AM   #9780
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
You need to adjust the height, as BMW set them too low at the factory. I, and many others have moved the light up, and it's much better.
Is this with the LED lights ? I have the LEDs did not feel range was an issue but more intensity ? I don't ride at night as a rule but on my recent trip spent an hour on the road in the dark, lots of Roos in the area. I felt the max speed for these lights would be around 100 kph , not that I wanted to go faster but for me the lights limited the speed in dark areas.