Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #9886
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by atg View Post
NLS;
It seems that we have a different understanding on some of the changes. I understood that:

1 "The two modes "Rain" and "Road", along with ASC as standard "

The two modes "RAIN" and "ROAD" along with ASC will be fitted even in the standard model. Prior to this the standard model had no "modes" and no ASC. So more for free...

2 "New "Pro" mode with three additional riding modes "Dynamic", "Enduro" and "Enduro Pro", including harmonised ASC and ABS as an optional extra".

Before, the optional extra included all 5 modes ( RAIN, ROAD, DYNAMIC, ENDURO and ENDURO PRO ) You could either have the 5 modes or none at all. I understand that now one buys 3 modes and gets 2 free. Therefore there are no new modes justa different way of getting/purchasing the "modes".

Regards,

Andre
1. Yes we got that the same way. I didn't say anything different.

2. Ah yes. That, I didn't get right, now I understand. Thanks. So the modes are indeed the same and "Pro" is having the three extra. Clear.

WHAT IS DIFFERENT THOUGH, is that "harmonised ASC and ABS as an optional extra". Anybody know what this is? It must be different from simple ABS (already standard) and ASC (standard from 2014).
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #9887
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post

2. Ah yes. That, I didn't get right, now I understand. Thanks. So the modes are indeed the same and "Pro" is having the three extra. Clear.

WHAT IS DIFFERENT THOUGH, is that "harmonised ASC and ABS as an optional extra". Anybody know what this is? It must be different from simple ABS (already standard) and ASC (standard from 2014).
Personally I don't care about all that electronics stuff, not using it but what makes a tangible difference to me is that anti wobble steering damper.
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #9888
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
Personally I don't care about all that electronics stuff, not using it but what makes a tangible difference to me is that anti wobble steering damper.
I love the electronics (not scared of them), but I do agree the most major thing is the steering dumper.

Is like BMW is saying "yeah... I know".
Kind of reminds me the change from servo to non-servo.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #9889
atg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post

NLS;

Cerainly the expression: "harmonised ASC and ABS " was coined by BMW's marketing department...

Already available in present LCs it is asystem that integrates ABS and ASC with differently with each riding mode.

For instance, in ENDURO PRO the rear wheel ABS is not active when the rear brake pedal is pressed; the ASC is less active compared to other modes.

In RAIN mode, both ABS and ASC ae quite sensitive and it actuates at the least provoking.

Each of the modes has a different setting for each ABS and ASC.

Again nothing new is offered on the 2014 model (in this topic ) as compared to the present model

Andre
atg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #9890
atg
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindofblue View Post
Hi all,
To follow up on the discussion of tires for the LC, I thought you might be interested in this email tread between Metzler and yours truly. I've also posted it over in the thread about LC tires at
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=896111

Note the comment about the EXP oem tires.

Thanks for the reply. That's very interesting about the oem tires. I was not aware of that. I would think that the lower tire life on the oem tires could be adversely affecting your subsequent sales of EXPs. I certainly didn't get another set based on the durability of the oem tires.

Warmest regards,

Reid

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 9:24 AM, Metzeler Web Assistance, US <webassistance.us@metzeler.com> wrote:
Hello

You really cannot compared a Tourance EXP to the old Tourance unless you consider this fact. The OEM Tourance EXP tire fitted at the factory (a different part #) has a tread depth that is 1 mm less than the replacement EXP tire in the same size that we import for replacement sales. So what we have seen with the replacement EXP tires over the last few years is a mileage range of about a low of 3,500 miles to a high of about 10,000 miles. But remember tire mileage is always lower when the air pressures are under 40 front & rear, if the roads are rough (I.E. dual sporting, traveling to Alaska) or unpaved. We hope this helps.

NA Metzeler M/C Tires Consumer Affairs
877 202-4993
www.metzeler.com

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any data to suggest that your Next tires will last longer than your standard Tourance? The reason I ask is that I had a set of Tourance EXP tires as OEM equipment on my 2010 GS and they lasted ~4500 mi. While they had good grip, they didn't last worth a darn. The standard Tourance tires I had on my 08 GS, on the other hand, lasted 7,500 mi. And I rode these two bikes comparably.

Warmest regards,

Reid K. Hester, Ph.D.
Director, Research Division
Behavior Therapy Associates LLC

Behaviortherapy.com
Drinker's Check-up
ModerateDrinking.com
Overcoming Addictions

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 7:23 AM, Metzeler Web Assistance, US <webassistance.us@metzeler.com> wrote:
Hello

We are offering the Tourance Next and the Karoo 3 in these sizes and we currently have no current plans to offer these sizes in the old technology Tourance tread pattern. The Tourance Next are leaps and bounds ahead of a Tourance and feature the Interact technology and a dual compound construction in the rear. So please air up the tires (38-42 front and 40-42 rear) and enjoy them. Thanks for the e-mail.

NA Metzeler M/C Tires Consumer Affairs
877 202-4993
www.metzeler.com
Kindofblue;

I am indeed surprised to learn that the OEM tires have 1 mm less thread than the replacements ! I wonder why as cost wise the difference must be ridiculous and also if this is true of other tire manufacturers.

Thanks for this info.

Andre
Old 07-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #9891
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by atg View Post
NLS;

Cerainly the expression: "harmonised ASC and ABS " was coined by BMW's marketing department...

Already available in present LCs it is asystem that integrates ABS and ASC with differently with each riding mode.

For instance, in ENDURO PRO the rear wheel ABS is not active when the rear brake pedal is pressed; the ASC is less active compared to other modes.

In RAIN mode, both ABS and ASC ae quite sensitive and it actuates at the least provoking.

Each of the modes has a different setting for each ABS and ASC.

Again nothing new is offered on the 2014 model (in this topic ) as compared to the present model

Andre
Maybe you are right, but I am not convinced yet Andre.
You see someone would expect a similar term for this years GS too then.

I have some hope for an additional sensor or something, that is extra.
(for example I think GS never had the lean sensor installed to assist ASC and ABS - a vital sensor for these things I believe)
Old 07-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #9892
Voz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
2014 gs

I will bet that there is new switchgear, just does not get mentioned in the press release.

Faulty switchgear has affected a lot of us, it can not continue.

2013 R1200 GSW Red - Blown Engine & Gearbox (clutch basket nut issue)
2015 R1200 GSW White - On order to replace blown up 13 GSW
Voz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #9893
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Wonder about the brand, type and install location...

Wonder if they make it optional extra for the 2013.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #9894
kaiserlover
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
my ride

[

Do you your unit has multiple issues or the model has multiple issues ?

If yours has multiple issues I agreeits worrysome. If you mean the model has multiple issues, perhaps you are worrying too much for problems that you may not have in the future.

Relax and enjoy ! Its still a really great bike and certaily all the troubles will be sorted out.

My 2011 GS was great and had no problems whatsoever. Nevertheless, I much prefer my LC with whatever problems it may have had/has or will have. Do you feel different ?

Andre[/QUOTE]
21842478]kaiserlover; hi andre. thanks for the feedback. I have a c650gt with 4000 km. it stalls while riding making it very dangerous to the point that I won't ride it. also the clutch rattles so much in low rpms that it is disappointing to say the least. bmw hasn't responded with a recall or a solution and can't or won't fix it. how would any one feel that pays more than double what everyone else pays for a bike without a test ride or even a look at the bike? I know you pay mega bucks in your country for bmw as well.
so why buy it? cause folks here rave about it that's why. and I like to have quality products.
it's not about the money but it is. it's about disappointment when you pay double for something and you get a product that is less than you expect.
I put a deposit on the r1200lc back in dec. last year and hav'nt gotten it yet. when I read about clutch issues and gearbox problems and switches breaking after only a few months some red flags come up.normal I think. I look here for support and practical thinking from guys that own the bike and what experiences they are having. I even listen to guy's that think my opinion is rubbish because maybe I am over thinking this. I read your statement and know that you fully understand about paying big and getting a machine that does not live up to expectations.
so thanks to the guys who responded about their experience with the topic I brought up. I hope you and everybody else has a great ride and when you don't your not stuck all by yourself trying to sort it out.
kaiserlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #9895
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
Overall I like the looks.

I'm not liking that rear rack. Looks like you would need to run the passenger seat to get a level loading platform. Have to wait and see whats there when they release it, Hope they get this detail right.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #9896
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

guys. Finally, I got an access to the REPROM for LC (cannot share further though).

For torque moments etc, just ask me. Will try to help.
Can you please give the part number of that REPROM. It should be on the lower section of the back case label.

Something like 01 59 7 xxx xxx

Thanks
Old 07-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #9897
atg
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserlover View Post
[

Do you your unit has multiple issues or the model has multiple issues ?

If yours has multiple issues I agreeits worrysome. If you mean the model has multiple issues, perhaps you are worrying too much for problems that you may not have in the future.

Relax and enjoy ! Its still a really great bike and certaily all the troubles will be sorted out.

My 2011 GS was great and had no problems whatsoever. Nevertheless, I much prefer my LC with whatever problems it may have had/has or will have. Do you feel different ?

Andre
21842478]kaiserlover; hi andre. thanks for the feedback. I have a c650gt with 4000 km. it stalls while riding making it very dangerous to the point that I won't ride it. also the clutch rattles so much in low rpms that it is disappointing to say the least. bmw hasn't responded with a recall or a solution and can't or won't fix it. how would any one feel that pays more than double what everyone else pays for a bike without a test ride or even a look at the bike? I know you pay mega bucks in your country for bmw as well.
so why buy it? cause folks here rave about it that's why. and I like to have quality products.
it's not about the money but it is. it's about disappointment when you pay double for something and you get a product that is less than you expect.
I put a deposit on the r1200lc back in dec. last year and hav'nt gotten it yet. when I read about clutch issues and gearbox problems and switches breaking after only a few months some red flags come up.normal I think. I look here for support and practical thinking from guys that own the bike and what experiences they are having. I even listen to guy's that think my opinion is rubbish because maybe I am over thinking this. I read your statement and know that you fully understand about paying big and getting a machine that does not live up to expectations.
so thanks to the guys who responded about their experience with the topic I brought up. I hope you and everybody else has a great ride and when you don't your not stuck all by yourself trying to sort it out.[/QUOTE]

Hi kaiserlover;

Your message manage to convey how you feel and I must say I fully sympathize with you !

I am not familiar with the 650 GT as BMW's scooters ( if one can call this bike a scooter...) have not yet been launched in Brazil.

Nevertheless the problems you so well describe have no reason to exist in any bike, much less on a BMW.

Brazil is an important BMW Motorrad market. In fact we are either fifth or fourth largest market in the world for BMW motorcycles. BMW from Germany is here, not an independent importer. I do not know how it is Thailand. Perhaps if you write BMW Motorrad in Germany to request a solution that your local BMW Motorrad is not providing may help. As in any world company, instructions from the headoffice tend to make a big splash !

As I mentioned above, I have no experience with the 650 GT but from what I know from other automatic transmissions it is quite common to have noisy transmissions while stopped or on low acceleration. Stalling, however, is definetelly not acceptable.

You mentined ypu placed a deposit on your LC in December, thats 7 months ago... I placed a deposit on mine in October as soon as it was launched in Germany and received it on April 25th, that was a 6 month wait. Consider that mine was the first GSLC delivered in Brazil.

Yes, as you can see, there are many common points in our "BMW roads"

The switch cluster that I had problems with was finally exchanged after a 2 month wait. The clutch still has not been sorted out but I am certain it will.

Over here the long wait is usually result of the very bureaucratic import procedures obviously helped by the sheer size of a company like BMW. Still, BMW's posture regarding its brazilian customers is very serious.

I sincerely hope you get the problems with your bike sorted out as soon as possible but if it was me I would write a long letter to BMW Motorrad head offices in Germany.

All the best,

Andre

atg screwed with this post 07-11-2013 at 10:16 PM
Old 07-12-2013, 12:58 AM   #9898
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voz View Post
I will bet that there is new switchgear, just does not get mentioned in the press release.

Faulty switchgear has affected a lot of us, it can not continue.
The switches will be the same, but the mechanism behind will be different. BMW won't be redesigning their switches for the new GS for a long time.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:30 AM   #9899
Hicks
der Überluber

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Hmm. How many miles on it now? I am thinking mine is gradually improving, but am not really sure. 2500 miles on mine.
14000kms = 8700 miles
Old 07-12-2013, 03:32 AM   #9900
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
I'm not liking that rear rack. Looks like you would need to run the passenger seat to get a level loading platform. Have to wait and see whats there when they release it, Hope they get this detail right.
On the contrary.
The rack indeed is flat with the passenger seat, yet there is still the under-platform (if you remove the top rack) that is flat with the rear seat removed.

Also what is the problem KEEPING the seat on if it helps? It's not that it weights that much nor that it raises luggage CoG that much.
To be honest, in my experience, when loading something on the rear, the limited "give" of the seat pudding both keeps what I carry more stable (as it is pushed in a bit) and safer (is like an extra shock absorber) and less vibrations to go to the luggage OR back to the rear frame FROM the luggage.