Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #9961
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
Here in AZ I know that my dealers initial allotment of 4 bikes included one that was low suspension. That might suggest that the low suspension bikes are not too hard to get?
Old 07-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #9962
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,889
The obvious differences as I understand them will be:

- Less ground clearance.
- Less travel (less off-road ability).
- Slightly different geometry.
NLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:35 AM   #9963
Crilly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 712
I am 5'3" tall. This is my 4th 1200gs. Standard height with costum low low seat. I love it, only have nicked a peg once cornering.

Thought, if you fill clutch reservoir before putting oil in engine, the oil between the plates (or brake in stuff) could add pressure to system.
Crilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:19 AM   #9964
atg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crilly View Post
I am 5'3" tall. This is my 4th 1200gs. Standard height with costum low low seat. I love it, only have nicked a peg once cornering.

Thought, if you fill clutch reservoir before putting oil in engine, the oil between the plates (or brake in stuff) could add pressure to system.
Crilly;

quote:

"Thought, if you fill clutch reservoir before putting oil in engine, the oil between the plates (or brake in stuff) could add pressure to system."

Could you explain this better ?

Andre
atg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:20 AM   #9965
atg
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
Good one, had not thought of that. On second thought, Is their a speed bleeder on the clutch?
Yes, at the back of the engine, slightly to the right of center. Its difficut to see and even harder to access.

Andre
Old 07-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #9966
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by atg View Post
Steelerider;

I certainly am not trying to demove you from switching to the GS, myself, I had a RT (2001) before switching to the GS. As I am on my 4th GS it shows that I don't least regret the move.

However, be aware that BMW will be launching very soon the RTLC and, if BMW keeps its tradition, with some 5 Hp more.

I think both bikes are great, eventhough the GS is the "GREATER" bike. Still, I find the RT more confortable specially for the pillion, or so my wife says. Also, that electrical windshield and sound system are great fun !

But, if you want to go off road, carve canyons, and have loads of fun there is definetely no better choice than the GSLC (imho).

Whichever way you turn, be happy !

Andre
Andre,
Thanks. I thought about the new LC RT, but honestly, I want to get away from the whole RT deal. While its a great bike, I just feel like the fun factor is missing. The GS can do everything the RT can, but its not the other way around.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #9967
atg
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
Andre,
Thanks. I thought about the new LC RT, but honestly, I want to get away from the whole RT deal. While its a great bike, I just feel like the fun factor is missing. The GS can do everything the RT can, but its not the other way around.
steelerider;

You certainly got that right !

Andre
Old 07-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #9968
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crilly View Post

5'3" short you mean, tall starts at 6'7".
I wish I wasn't so tall, GSA XLT please! :-)
Still need to hear about tall modifications to screen, pegs, handlebars, seat...
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #9969
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
That's great but some haven't been so lucky. Interesting thread on gearbox/clutch problems, just to mention one issue.

http://ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337687

To each his own but seeing how the 2014 has started production, if it were my money I would wait...
This is also a very poor analysis , comparing apples with oranges, anyone who thinks it is valid should not buy a GS as they don't have enough mechanical knowledge to be safe .
Old 07-15-2013, 01:10 AM   #9970
nickgoa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Any of you 2013 owners...

My right hand wrist and mostly fingers go to sleep very quickly and for a prolonged time... What worries me is that even after sleeping my fingers are still tingly hours after.

I'm still under 1k km/ 600miles
So I'm hoping I adjust to it...
I'm consciously not over tightening my grip and elbow bent but going through an hour of twisties yesterday was definitely bothering me.
nickgoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:13 AM   #9971
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickgoa View Post

My right hand wrist and mostly fingers go to sleep very quickly and for a prolonged time... What worries me is that even after sleeping my fingers are still tingly hours after.

I'm consciously not over tightening my grip and elbow bent but going through an hour of twisties yesterday was definitely bothering me.
You are likely leaning forward putting pressure on the nerve in your palm. This is a fairly common thing in the pedal bike world. Instead of focusing on how tight you're gripping, try focusing on holding your body up with your core muscles instead of holding yourself up with your arms. Further, a set of risers that put you in a slightly different position could help too, but even still you should really only be holding those handle bars to control inputs and not for holding on.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:49 AM   #9972
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,889
Quote:

How tall are you Niko?

A set of raisers have helped me with my 2007, even though I am not tall (around 1.78).

Maybe you sit far back?
NLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:31 AM   #9973
Farang Paul
A Late Convert

Oddometer: 13
Quote:

I had the same problem for a long time on my Harley and thought it was the vibration from the bike.

Then an (even) older biker told me to tuck my elbows in toward my body, and straighten my wrists, then relax them. This should increase blood flow to your hands and fingers and stop the tingles.

Works for me.
Farang Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:41 AM   #9974
pauljm
R1200GS WC

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon51 View Post
When should the 2014 hit the dealers? I never like buying the first production run and with the changes announced I think I'm glad that I held off.
What are u waiting for? The new version won't part the sea. It just a bike that you ride. Why do you think the new one will be better? If the adventure has more of what appeals to me I will just trade it in on the next one.

I got mine on April 2 now done 6500+ Kms. No probs. bike is great not sure what everyone is going on about. I love my bike it's awesome. Just wish I had more time to ride it.

Not sure what your waiting for, version 1 of the GS was a long long time ago. Nothing needs fixing on my bike it goes great & is in my opinion the best bike I have ever ridden.

I can only assume you think that next years models will be even better. My guess is you will either be disappointed because you have set the bar so high or you have just waited for 12 months for exactly the same bike packaged slightly differently.

Wake up & recognise a great product & jump in.

R1200GS LC
pauljm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:43 AM   #9975
2OLD4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Picked up my new GSW on Saturday. My first GS. I've ridden only 170 miles but the front tire is super noisy. The bike came with Anakee IIIs which is a good looking tire. The noise is worse at about 70 mph. I'm not noticing any vibration to indicate problems. I'm coming off an RT with Pilot Road 2s. Is there a problem or is it just the nature of the more aggressive tread?
2OLD4 is offline   Reply With Quote