Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2013, 08:19 AM   #9976
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2OLD4 View Post
Picked up my new GSW on Saturday. My first GS. I've ridden only 170 miles but the front tire is super noisy. The bike came with Anakee IIIs which is a good looking tire. The noise is worse at about 70 mph. I'm not noticing any vibration to indicate problems. I'm coming off an RT with Pilot Road 2s. Is there a problem or is it just the nature of the more aggressive tread?
How is your experience with the bike so far coming from an RT?
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #9977
qman8
GS09

Oddometer: 443
Question water on the way out??

Someone with some inside information told me they heard that the next generation R engine is going back to NOT using water. Anyone hear this?
qman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #9978
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by qman8 View Post
Someone with some inside information told me they heard that the next generation R engine is going back to NOT using water. Anyone hear this?
I'd say that person with the inside information has a load of shit in their ears...

.... For me to POOP in!
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:39 PM   #9979
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoBiker View Post
I'd say that person with the inside information has a load of shit in their ears...

.... For me to POOP in!
Smugmug Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #9980
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Could it be the roadster your friend referred to?
That's different. Air is not going to go away nor is water going to completely replace it, the camhead is expected to live on for a while at least.
I'm assuming everything but classic models will cook with water in the future.

tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #9981
deacon51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljm View Post
What are u waiting for? The new version won't part the sea. It just a bike that you ride. Why do you think the new one will be better? If the adventure has more of what appeals to me I will just trade it in on the next one.

I got mine on April 2 now done 6500+ Kms. No probs. bike is great not sure what everyone is going on about. I love my bike it's awesome. Just wish I had more time to ride it.

Not sure what your waiting for, version 1 of the GS was a long long time ago. Nothing needs fixing on my bike it goes great & is in my opinion the best bike I have ever ridden.

I can only assume you think that next years models will be even better. My guess is you will either be disappointed because you have set the bar so high or you have just waited for 12 months for exactly the same bike packaged slightly differently.

Wake up & recognise a great product & jump in.

So... why I'm not jumping.
First... I would like to have a complete understanding of the bike before I commit to it for the next 5 to 7 years.
Second... the MSRP on this bike will be more than twice what I paid for my current bike.
Third... First production run products tend to have minor issues that are corrected in later production runs.
Forth... I have never owned a BMW, I know the brand has a very strong following of loyalest, but I also know that quality control issues have dogged many of the brands "Flag Ship" models.

So it's hard for me to convince myself to abounded a perfectly capable bike so that I may invest twice the money on a first run bike from a brand with known quality issues for a fantasy of getting out of the city and searching for Adventure. Plus - I think the addition of a steering dampener as standard equipment is a major modification to the GS Line... and very telling.

That and my wife isn't on-board with the idea... yet.
deacon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #9982
HBRDR
Invisible Rider

Oddometer: 244
Mine shifts really well

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Take a deep breath....

I did read it. Reducing fluid in the master cylinder improved shifting for you and some others, but not for everyone. The thread also indicates that BMW "knows the cure" and is upgrading some parts.
I have just over 3300 miles and the shifting seems to be getting better. Neutral is easy to find and, with the exception of shifting into first at a stop, very smooth.
A non-issue for me.

2013 R1200GS
HBRDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:35 PM   #9983
Centurion210
Attitude Indicator

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Cleaner emissions standards in Europe and elsewhere dictate the use of water cooling; I don't think they will take a step back, especially after spending over 5 years developing the water-cooled boxer twin. Same rumors followed Porsche around when they replaced their air-cooled boxers but here we are, over 10 years later and all of their engines are still water-cooled.

If BMW's past record is any indication, the oil-cooled engine will be around for at least another two years on some of their bikes but I don't see the GS going back to the oil-cooled engine.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #9984
Centurion210
Attitude Indicator

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon51 View Post

Never mind the rest of the excuses; this one is the real reason, isn't it
Old 07-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #9985
Marki_GSA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Was the phrase actually water cooled? I am surprised they are water cooled now but not liquid cooled. There are better coolants out there than a water anti freeze mix that would cause far less stress on the cooling system. So if it was actually water that was mentioned then it may be correct. Stopping liquid cooling, no way, they can't for several reasons.
Marki_GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:47 PM   #9986
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Plus - I think the addition of a steering dampener as standard equipment is a major modification to the GS Line... and very telling.
Just to stir the pot

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=902246
nwpa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #9987
deacon51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpa View Post
lol... for the record, if I let go of the bars on my FJR it'll pitch me on the ground.

I assume the staring dampener will improve performance and help the bike track straight on rough roads / off road. I also know from my test ride that the R1200GSW likes to wheelie.
deacon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #9988
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 637
Quote:
First... I would like to have a complete understanding of the bike before I commit to it for the next 5 to 7 years.
Second... the MSRP on this bike will be more than twice what I paid for my current bike.
Third... First production run products tend to have minor issues that are corrected in later production runs.
Forth... I have never owned a BMW, I know the brand has a very strong following of loyalest, but I also know that quality control issues have dogged many of the brands "Flag Ship" models.

So it's hard for me to convince myself to abounded a perfectly capable bike so that I may invest twice the money on a first run bike from a brand with known quality issues for a fantasy of getting out of the city and searching for Adventure. Plus - I think the addition of a steering dampener as standard equipment is a major modification to the GS Line... and very telling.

Soo...it has more to do with the fact that your wife isn't on board?
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #9989
Rider1
Ridin' Dave

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurion210 View Post
Never mind the rest of the excuses; this one is the real reason, isn't it
Just what I was thinking ! You hit the nail on the head !
Old 07-15-2013, 03:53 PM   #9990
kindofblue
Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickgoa View Post
What does it cost to retrofit the cruise control??? I should have added that option to begin with... Doh
It comes as standard equipment.
Get saddlesore when riding? Check these shorts out

kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote