Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #10006
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 935
Put a deposit on an inbound GSW today. Now to wait 2-3 weeks!! Ugh!! It's one of the most well designed bikes I've ever ridden. Amazing.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #10007
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
>Why not order online then. I saw them both on Revzilla & I am sure there must be many other US sites that probably offer them. Just an idea.<

The front TKC-80 120/70 R 19 is not in stock at Revzilla. I also checked A&S Cycles, Sierra BMW and GOAZ and no one has it yet.

I am familiar with running TKC-80s on my bikes and love them (except for the mileage, of course). What I wondered about is whether the 110 /80 R19 that is available would be a problem on the highway on the '13 R12GSW. Seems that it will be okay off pavement even though it is not exactly the right size but I gotta do a lot of highway with a loaded bike to get to the off pavement part. Maybe I should just ride the Anakee lll's and not overthink this.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:14 PM   #10008
pauljm
R1200GS WC

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonopah View Post
>Why not order online then. I saw them both on Revzilla & I am sure there must be many other US sites that probably offer them. Just an idea.<

The front TKC-80 120/70 R 19 is not in stock at Revzilla. I also checked A&S Cycles, Sierra BMW and GOAZ and no one has it yet.

I am familiar with running TKC-80s on my bikes and love them (except for the mileage, of course). What I wondered about is whether the 110 /80 R19 that is available would be a problem on the highway on the '13 R12GSW. Seems that it will be okay off pavement even though it is not exactly the right size but I gotta do a lot of highway with a loaded bike to get to the off pavement part. Maybe I should just ride the Anakee lll's and not overthink this.
They had the karoo 3s last time I looked. Probably a better option by the sound of them if your doing a lot of blacktop. I really liked the karoo T's on my f800gs.

R1200GS LC
pauljm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:27 PM   #10009
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Yep. Karoo 3's are there. My mistake -- gonna order them.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:06 PM   #10010
CheesyRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
My wife took a GS out for a long demo ride today. She came back with a big smile on her face! She was quite impressed with how light it felt compared to her Bandit. She loved the brakes, the easy clutch pull, and the handling. Unfortunately, her long ride meant there was only time for me to take a short spin. The most surprising thing for me is how much I liked the engine. I loved the sound and was quite pleased with the power. The engine had just the right blend of character and refinement. After riding the GS, it's going to be hard for me to go back to the "whirly" sound of my FJR.

I can tell this thing is a wheelie machine. I accidentally got the front end up a bit, so I held back a little after that. Does the GS have wheelie control? I forgot to ask the salesman when I got back.

I'll need to take another demo ride, but I have a feeling a GS is in my future.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:16 PM   #10011
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheesyRider View Post

I can tell this thing is a wheelie machine. I accidentally got the front end up a bit, so I held back a little after that. Does the GS have wheelie control? I forgot to ask the salesman when I got back.
Traction control should do the trick.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:22 AM   #10012
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,596
As an Englishman i never thought i'd ask this question - but how is the GSW holding up in the heat?

(We are 3 weeks into what passes as a heatwave here BTW).
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:45 AM   #10013
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
As an Englishman i never thought i'd ask this question - but how is the GSW holding up in the heat?

Been cracking up reading the DM about this "heatwave." Temps hit 90, panic ensues.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:52 AM   #10014
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

That is what passes for news here. "Pisses down for 4 months straight" isn't a headline here.

Upside - lots of good bike time.

Downside - Fat women with sunburn.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:00 AM   #10015
iride4u
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
No problems with heat so far, I have had it out in temps that are over 100.
iride4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:03 AM   #10016
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljm View Post
Easy solution to the wife problem. Just a get a new one as well to complement the new bike. :)

or maybe threaten to if she doesn't come on board. Or work harder on her, I found being relentless usually wears them down.

Ok so it took me a few months to convince my wife as well that it was a great idea. Still not sure how I got that one past her. But it seemed easy now.

Working on new tyres & Akra exhaust at the moment. :)
I have a deal with my wife. If I get a new bike, she gets a new purse. When I got the GSW, she got a Louis Vuitton Neverfull MM. She never complains about me getting a new bike now.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:05 AM   #10017
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:

I've ridden mine in 103ºf (39.4ºc) heat and it was great.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R

Dahveed screwed with this post 07-18-2013 at 06:15 AM
Old 07-18-2013, 06:13 AM   #10018
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
>I'm on Anakee lll's now and have 5700 miles on the bike. I live in AZ and have done one long trip through Nevada/CA/Death Valley, etc. The ties do have flat spots because I cannot avoid a lot of slab in high heat. The tires have been great and actually have a lot of life left in them. My home here in AZ is up a dirt road about a mile long so I ride "dirt" every day (easy road but dirt none the less). The Anakees do just fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljm View Post
Why not try the new karoo 3 or Anakee wild?
I've been looking for the Anakee wilds and have not found a store that has them. I was told the Karoo 3 are a short-lived tire. Sticky, but short-lived. And they aren't cheap. I don't mind paying $200+ for the rear, but I want it to last more than a few weeks of riding.

Quote:
The Karoo 3 is on backorder where I live and the TKC-80 is expected to be seen first. Dunno about the Wild though. I could also just use Heidenaus but I am one of the Heidi doubters.
I know people that run an Anakee 2 on the rear and a TKC80 on the front of their '07 R1200GSA. They like it and they're hard on tires.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 07-18-2013, 06:15 AM   #10019
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Sweet.

Here's one for the collective.

I've ridden the GS - i'm interested in either the GSA or RT (LC) - but i'm not really all that fussed about all the bells and whistles gizmos (heated grips and a race can and i'm sorted).

Now 2 dealers i've spoken to go into tooth sucking mode when i say the above - "Oooh Sir - but all our patron's want the fitted Jacuzzi and fondue machine.."
..and then start going on about rider demographics and potential resale value.

Is it really that big a deal having all the bolt ons?
Old 07-18-2013, 06:28 AM   #10020
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Sweet.

Here's one for the collective.

I've ridden the GS - i'm interested in either the GSA or RT (LC) - but i'm not really all that fussed about all the bells and whistles gizmos (heated grips and a race can and i'm sorted).

Now 2 dealers i've spoken to go into tooth sucking mode when i say the above - "Oooh Sir - but all our patron's want the fitted Jacuzzi and fondue machine.."
..and then start going on about rider demographics and potential resale value.

Is it really that big a deal having all the bolt ons?
I've got a friend who didn't like the previous ESA and preferred to install Ohlins instead. But it came bundled on his GSW and he rates it really highly. The LED headlight is also worth splashing out for imo, far better than the halogen.