RuckedUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #10037
sbrownn
SlowMo

Oddometer: 457
Maybe you got a lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuckedUp View Post

Took the bike up to the Arctic circle after the 600 mile service. So far so good! My one complaint well I have a few but the major one is the shifting. I thought my Harley clunked into gear but the BMW is giving it a run for shit shifting 1-2-3rd gears make my hairs stand up when I shift.

Starting to piss me off a bit when I think BMW I think smooth as silk not panhead slop!
I have found the my bike can shift poorly or great depending on my technique. The fact that it can shift great at one time and poorly the next makes me realize it is not the bike but my technique. I'm not saying the same for you; perhaps you got a poor shifting bike. Just don't generalize about either BMW or them all because my bike shifts great when done properly.

What is properly? Here is my best guess at proper technique for the LC. First, make sure to pre-load the shift actuator, then, lightly pull back the shift lever until the clutch just disengages. Here is the important part. When the transmission shifts up to the next gear, feather the clutch back in instead of just releasing it; match the ground speed and engine speed. If this is the technique you are already using then perhaps you just got a lemon. When shifted like this my bike is smooth as whipped cream. Shift it any other way and it can clunk just like a Harley.
sbrownn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:43 PM   #10038
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrownn View Post
I have found the my bike can shift poorly or great depending on my technique. The fact that it can shift great at one time and poorly the next makes me realize it is not the bike but my technique. I'm not saying the same for you; perhaps you got a poor shifting bike. Just don't generalize about either BMW or them all because my bike shifts great when done properly.

What is properly? Here is my best guess at proper technique for the LC. First, make sure to pre-load the shift actuator, then, lightly pull back the shift lever until the clutch just disengages. Here is the important part. When the transmission shifts up to the next gear, feather the clutch back in instead of just releasing it; match the ground speed and engine speed. If this is the technique you are already using then perhaps you just got a lemon. When shifted like this my bike is smooth as whipped cream. Shift it any other way and it can clunk just like a Harley.
Lol, the lengths some BMW owners will go to justify their bike's "character." Fwiw, my Harley doesn't clunk, or need a "proper technique" to shift smoothly.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:11 PM   #10039
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,011
The All New 2013 LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

The LC I rode shifted like a Ducati. Snick snick. And yeah, my 07 GS Adv and my HD are both "agricultural", comparatively.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #10040
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Lol, the lengths some BMW owners will go to justify their bike's "character." Fwiw, my Harley doesn't clunk, or need a "proper technique" to shift smoothly.
You still hanging out on BMW threads acting like you are superior?

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:27 PM   #10041
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
You still hanging out on BMW threads acting like you are superior?

Jim
Nah, I don't want to tread on your turf.

Just putting the Kool-Aid slurper perspective in perspective. As a BMW owner myself, I'm sometimes amazed at the lengths my fellow brethren will go to avoid acknowledging that their bikes may have flaws.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:51 AM   #10042
VolInGA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Really not going to any great length there. Preloading the shifter has been commonly recognized as a "proper" technique for shifting for decades. Every bike I've ever owned shifted much smoother when shifted using this technique. Search forums for just about any bike brand and you will probably find a "clunky shifting" thread with the same response, preload the shifter. Perhaps you have just never been enlightened and what may seem smooth to you on your Harley, may seem like a clunky box of rocks to someone else. Lol, the lengths some Harley owners will go to......
VolInGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:27 AM   #10043
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolInGA View Post
Really not going to any great length there. Preloading the shifter has been commonly recognized as a "proper" technique for shifting for decades. Every bike I've ever owned shifted much smoother when shifted using this technique. Search forums for just about any bike brand and you will probably find a "clunky shifting" thread with the same response, preload the shifter. Perhaps you have just never been enlightened and what may seem smooth to you on your Harley, may seem like a clunky box of rocks to someone else. Lol, the lengths some Harley owners will go to......
I've only owned two Harleys out of about 50 bikes including six BMWs. The beemers were always the clunkiest and my Road King snicks so smoothly into first that I don't even hear it. But now you've got me all curious, will try preloading my Dakar's shifter on my ride home tonight and see if that helps....
Old 07-20-2013, 08:06 AM   #10044
herrdirektor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrownn View Post

Same here. The bike is not likely to adapt to the shifting technique of the owner. It should be the other way around. I can make my LC shift poorly when being sloppy, but I don't have to since it is easy to adapt.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #10045
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrdirektor View Post
Same here. The bike is not likely to adapt to the shifting technique of the owner. It should be the other way around. I can make my LC shift poorly when being sloppy, but I don't have to since it is easy to adapt.
Can you elaborate on the technique you think the LC GS requires?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #10046
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,441
I guess it's all relative. I thought the transmission on the LC demo i had was positive compared to my old Multistrada. Having a rear brake that worked was novel too..
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #10047
nickgoa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by emoto View Post
can you elaborate on the technique you think the lc gs requires?
+1
nickgoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #10048
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickgoa View Post
+1
+2. What is this technique they speak of?
Old 07-20-2013, 11:21 AM   #10049
herrdirektor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 767
It's very simple. You start shifting in the way the bike requires. Meaning you start with the basics, pulling the clutch in time (and not half way, but fully), and measuring the optimal time to release in the optimal speed. It is trial and error at first, so it should take about 30 minutes to get used to it. You have to go with your feeling and learn to know your bike. This is my 6th bmw since 2006, and I had not troubles shifting at all with the last four. The F800ST got a model wide, factory initiated, modification for the clutch, and after that also no problems shifting. Watch, learn, adapt.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:41 PM   #10050
popscycle
Fahren Away

Oddometer: 934
Does anyone here know what the deal is with BMW tank bags and panniers? The kid grabbed an LC in March and the dealer still can't say when they will get bags for it and is suggesting they may not get any at all this year. Bad dealer, incredible demand, strikes, what?? Any/all thoughts/info appreciated!
popscycle is offline   Reply With Quote