ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #10276
nwpa
Generally amused
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Along the Great Lakes
Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post

You know you picked the right bike when you pull up into your driveway, and your wife says "now that is badass".
Welcome home GS, welcome home.
Hey, that's mine! Congratulations, you have a great bike...enjoy the ride.
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:38 PM   #10277
atwoodtja
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: New England, US
Oddometer: 323
Ok, here is an odd question: does anyone know if the enduro pro plug has other maps besides its namesake, maybe replacements for the existing ones? Also, anyone with lean surge problems running without the plug, either by choice or because the dealer didn't have one?

Back story:
I removed mine the other day (dealer had installed it before I picked up the bike back in June). I was figuring I'm not planning to run knobbies on the bike anytime soon, so why keep toggling past it every time I want to switch from Dyna to Road?

The bike seemed to run worse in Road and Dynamic modes. The existing minor lean surge around 4250 rpm got slightly worse, and a new lean surge reared its ugly and overt head at 3500 rpm, engine was stumbling like crazy during my commute. Ambient temp was about 80F, just a regular day weather-wise. It was bad enough that I was having visions of Booster Plugs in my head.

Troubleshooting later on, I figured I should try different gas first, but then I realized I had also removed the plug since the last time it ran well. I put it back in, test ride with same Octane gas, and its back to smooth again.

I'd probably try more empirical testing, but I'm traveling on business this week, so I'll float this question in the mean time.
__________________
2013 BMW R1200GS-LC
2008 Suzuki DRZ400
atwoodtja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #10278
iride4u
Gnarly Adventurer
 
iride4u's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Loveland, Colorado
Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by atwoodtja View Post
Ok, here is an odd question: does anyone know if the enduro pro plug has other maps besides its namesake, maybe replacements for the existing ones? Also, anyone with lean surge problems running without the plug, either by choice or because the dealer didn't have one?

Back story:
I removed mine the other day (dealer had installed it before I picked up the bike back in June). I was figuring I'm not planning to run knobbies on the bike anytime soon, so why keep toggling past it every time I want to switch from Dyna to Road?

The bike seemed to run worse in Road and Dynamic modes. The existing minor lean surge around 4250 rpm got slightly worse, and a new lean surge reared its ugly and overt head at 3500 rpm, engine was stumbling like crazy during my commute. Ambient temp was about 80F, just a regular day weather-wise. It was bad enough that I was having visions of Booster Plugs in my head.

Troubleshooting later on, I figured I should try different gas first, but then I realized I had also removed the plug since the last time it ran well. I put it back in, test ride with same Octane gas, and its back to smooth again.

I'd probably try more empirical testing, but I'm traveling on business this week, so I'll float this question in the mean time.
The enduro plug does more then just enable enduro pro.
__________________
2013 R1200GS LC red
2012 K1600GTL blue

iride4u screwed with this post 08-08-2013 at 06:24 AM
iride4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #10279
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by iride4u View Post
The endure plug does more then just enable endure pro.
Source and more info?
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:20 PM   #10280
atg
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Sao Paulo, Brazil
Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by iride4u View Post
The endure plug does more then just enable endure pro.
As per the owner's manual the "plug" enables the enduro pro mode and also allows that owner's personnal suspension settings ( soft, normal and hard ) be saved and loaded instead of pre sets.

No other function is mentioned.

Andre
atg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:28 PM   #10281
Ctimrun
n00b
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post

You know you picked the right bike when you pull up into your driveway, and your wife says "now that is badass".
Welcome home GS, welcome home.
And you picked the right wife!
Ctimrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:15 AM   #10282
seatec
Dutch Transplant
 
seatec's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Clearwater
Oddometer: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
Great find. thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
If you telephone Powerlet and tell them what you want, they will build it for you, and the fee will be reasonable. I did this a few years ago for something else.
I will definitely keep that option in mind. THanks
__________________
Got places to do and things to be.
'14 1200 GSA
seatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:29 AM   #10283
seatec
Dutch Transplant
 
seatec's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Clearwater
Oddometer: 806
Update on the powerlet to dual usb.
I sent powerlet an email and their reply was

Quote:
Anthony,

We will be releasing ours at the end of this month. It will be a higher
output and is about 2/3 the size to the one you linked to.

Cheers!

Davin
---
Powerlet - Powersport Electric Group
www.powerlet.com

877-752-7835
(586) 276-0907 Fax

Coliant Corporation
5520 Chicago Road
Warren, MI 48092
__________________
Got places to do and things to be.
'14 1200 GSA
seatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #10284
steelerider
Southafricanamerican
 
steelerider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Lancaster, PA.
Oddometer: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctimrun View Post
And you picked the right wife!
Amen to that brother.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:08 PM   #10285
Japanviking
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Oddometer: 87
At almost 10k my clutch action has improved slightly. It used to be difficult to modulate when launching the bike from rpm's just above idle. A bit grabby at the beginning of the friction zone.

Now it has become much better...almost like the clutch has bedded in properly.
__________________
BMW S1000RR -12
BMW R1200GS -13

Japanviking screwed with this post 08-06-2013 at 06:15 PM
Japanviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:37 AM   #10286
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: So.Central PA
Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post

You know you picked the right bike when you pull up into your driveway, and your wife says "now that is badass".
Welcome home GS, welcome home.

Congrats!! Looks like Trans Am won the sale, too. Good experience? I never hear anything bad about them...
__________________
-----------------------------------------------------------------
<making room for another>
'12 R1200GS Adventure
'11 Harley Street Glide - gone and mostly forgotten
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:24 AM   #10287
steelerider
Southafricanamerican
 
steelerider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Lancaster, PA.
Oddometer: 846
Surge?
Anyone else have the dreaded surging on their new GSW? You know, at about 45 mph, when you're just barely on the gas? Mine does. I'm hardly surprised. Every boxer I've ever owned has done it. The answer has always been to add a booster plug, or accelerator module. Looks like I will be doing the same to this bike.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:38 AM   #10288
Emoto
Sure, why not?
 
Emoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: SE Mass
Oddometer: 17,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
Surge?
Anyone else have the dreaded surging on their new GSW? You know, at about 45 mph, when you're just barely on the gas? Mine does. I'm hardly surprised. Every boxer I've ever owned has done it. The answer has always been to add a booster plug, or accelerator module. Looks like I will be doing the same to this bike.
Did you see tjAtwood's post above about the enduro plug?
__________________
Eventual Master of the Obvious
2005 R1200GS | 2013 R1200GSW | SOHC4 208 | DoD 2032 | BMWMOA | BMWRA | YB
Proud walking jingle in the midnight sun.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:48 AM   #10289
steelerider
Southafricanamerican
 
steelerider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Lancaster, PA.
Oddometer: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Did you see tjAtwood's post above about the enduro plug?
Interesting. Mine has the Enduro plug installed. I think that these bikes just run very lean. The ethanol in our gas makes it even worse. My 2012 RT camhead did the same thing.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:31 AM   #10290
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer
 
RichBMW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Oddometer: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
Surge?
Anyone else have the dreaded surging on their new GSW? You know, at about 45 mph, when you're just barely on the gas? Mine does. I'm hardly surprised. Every boxer I've ever owned has done it. The answer has always been to add a booster plug, or accelerator module. Looks like I will be doing the same to this bike.
I never noticed it on mine before, but when it was in the dealer having new tyres on Saturday, they put the new software update on, and there's definitely no surge now.
__________________
2015 BMW S1000R Sport
2015 BMW R1200GSAW
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014