Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2013, 07:11 AM   #10501
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoBiker View Post
Hey Steelrider, sorry to hear about your mishap. Praying for the bike! I'll throw you in there, too!

So where abouts were you? Did Life Lion take you? My buddy is a flight medic for them...Zooky...maybe he took ya.

Deer suck!!! I do my best to shoot one every year...

Get well, take it easy and heal up...
Hey man,
I was in the Michaux state forest in PA. Doing a nice easy 35 mph on a wide gravel road, nothing to difficult at all. Next thing I know, I glanced at my speedo to check the speed, look up and there's a huge doe at 2:00 clock. BAM.

I was suprised they called up the helo, but I will say that I was in the ER in about 15 mins.

My father in law just went to see the bike. The forks look good, wheels look good, no damage to the right side, just plastic rash on the left.

The helo guys were great btw.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:08 AM   #10502
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
and not accurate. Here's the deal, when you turn the headlight on, the DRL is dimmed with the assumption that headlights are on when dark and the DRL will then be too bright at night. Well here in the US the motorcycle industry has an agreement that all bikes will not have a headlight switch and the headlights will remain on all the time for safety. BMW chose not to challenge that when they came out with DRLs and hence why we get full time dim DRLs along with our headlights on as a default.
What I wrote was precisely accurate - reread my original post.

The DRL has two modes: parking light mode (dim) and DRL mode (bright). You cannot have the DRL on in conjunction with the headlight which is why it switches to the dim parking light mode. All of the bikes with LED headlamps come from the factory with the headlight/parking light on by default, this can be changed in the settings to automatic DRL but you cannot make a change which will no longer comply to regulations.

There is no assumption involved - parking lights are distinct and separate from headlights and your US legislation requires both to be on together if a parking light is fitted, as does EU and Canadian legislation.

What I wrote was the functional logic behind the operation of the lights. In the majority of countries it is impossible to switch off the headlight on a motorbike* as it is simply a legal requirement for conspicuity, nothing to do with agreements in the motorcycle industry.

*On some BMW models (F800 series for example) you can switch off the headlamp while stopped by holding the the turn signal cancel button for 5 seconds, followed by holding the right turn signal button for 5 seconds, but it will switch on again once the bike reaches 10km/hr).

The discrete optional DRL for the standard headlamp doesn't meet US legislation (and cannot be specified on the bike in the US market) possibly due to its height from the road, possibly because it is closer than 100mm from the turn indicator, but definitely because it is a separate unit from the headlamp and not centred - see (b) in the legislation below.

The full LED headlamp meets legislation because it consists for 4 (2 pairs) of lamps and it is integrated into the headlamp unit.

Reference:

S5.5.11(a) Any pair of lamps on the front of a passenger car, multipurpose passenger vehicle, truck, or bus, whether or not required by this standard, other than parking lamps or fog lamps, may be wired to be automatically activated, as determined by the manufacturer of the vehicle, in a steady burning state as daytime running lamps (DRLs) and to be automatically deactivated when the headlamp control is in any “on” position, and as otherwise determined by the manufacturer of the vehicle, provided that each such lamp:
(1) Has a luminous intensity not less than 500 candela at test point H-V, nor more than 3,000 candela at any location in the beam, when tested in accordance with Section S11 of this standard, unless it is:
(i) A lower beam headlamp intended to operate as a DRL at full voltage, or at a voltage lower than used to operate it as a lower beam headlamp; or
(ii) An upper beam headlamp intended to operate as a DRL, whose luminous intensity at test point H-V is not more than 7,000 candela, and which is mounted not higher than 864 mm above the road surface as measured from the center of the lamp with the vehicle at curb weight;
(2) Is permanently marked “DRL” on its lens in letters not less than 3 mm high, unless it is optically combined with a headlamp;
(3) Is designed to provide the same color as the other lamp in the pair, and that is one of the following colors as defined in SAE Standard J578 MAY88: White, white to yellow, white to selective yellow, selective yellow, or yellow;
(4) If not optically combined with a turn signal lamp, is located so that the distance from its lighted edge to the optical center of the nearest turn signal lamp is not less than 100 mm, unless:
(i) The luminous intensity of the DRL is not more than 2,600 candela at any location in the beam and the turn signal meets the requirements of S5.3.1.7; or
(ii) (For a passenger car, multipurpose passenger vehicle, truck, or bus that is manufactured before October 1, 1995, and which uses an upper beam headlamp as a DRL as specified in paragraph S5.5.11(a)(1)(ii)) the luminous intensity of the DRL is greater than 2,600 candela at any location in the beam and the turn signal lamp meets the requirements of S5.3.1.7; or
(iii) The DRL is optically combined with a lower beam headlamp and the turn signal lamp meets the requirements of S5.3.1.7; or
(iv) The DRL is deactivated when the turn signal or hazard warning signal lamp is activated.
(5) If optically combined with a turn signal lamp, is automatically deactivated as a DRL when the turn signal lamp or hazard warning lamp is activated, and automatically reactivated as a DRL when the turn signal lamp or hazard warning lamp is deactivated.
(b) Any pair of lamps that are not required by this standard and are not optically combined with any lamps that are required by this standard, and which are used as DRLs to fulfill the specifications of S5.5.11(a), shall be mounted at the same height, which shall be not more than 1.067 m above the road surface measured from the center of the lamp on the vehicle at curb weight, and shall be symmetrically disposed about the vertical centerline of the vehicle.

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle

duffs screwed with this post 08-20-2013 at 09:21 AM
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:38 AM   #10503
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffs View Post

There is no assumption involved - parking lights are distinct and separate from headlights and your US legislation requires both to be on together if a parking light is fitted, as does EU and Canadian legislation.
If EU legislation requires both DRL and headlight to be on together, why is it that EU GSWs do not operate this way? You can find plenty of pictures of EU model bikes with DRL on only and the left side controls clearly offer a headlight switch, unlike US model bikes.

Regarding US legislation on headlights being on full time on motorcycles....there is no such legislation, it is an industry agreement in the US.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:11 AM   #10504
sarhog
Ride far...

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Regarding US legislation on headlights being on full time on motorcycles....there is no such legislation, it is an industry agreement in the US.
Motorcycle headlights must be on ANYTIME, day or night in Florida while on public roadways, see F.S.S. 316.405.
I would imagine that's the case in most, if not all states.
sarhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:16 AM   #10505
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarhog View Post
Motorcycle headlights must be on ANYTIME, day or night in Florida while on public roadways, see F.S.S. 316.405.
Not all, but most. Motorcycle manufacturers for in the US just make them on all the time to make it simple.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #10506
duffs
It's been useful

Quote:
If EU legislation requires both DRL and headlight to be on together, why is it that EU GSWs do not operate this way?
I explained that the DRL operates on its own (bright) without the headlamp, or in parking lamp mode (dim) alongside the headlamp.

Quote:
You can find plenty of pictures of EU model bikes with DRL on only and the left side controls clearly offer a headlight switch, unlike US model bikes.
The button you refer to is the DRL button (p14 of the non-US handbook), which allows the rider to manually choose between DRL only or headlamp + parking lamp, for example if the automatic headlamp sensor doesn't respond quickly enough when entering a tunnel etc.

However I've done more digging and you are correct that this button doesn't exist on US models - therefore the DRL only runs in its dim setting in your market alongside the headlamp (p14 of the US handbook). So, apologies for missing that distinction.

Quote:
You're splitting hairs here. Whether on a state or federal level, legislation is legislation and 26 states require daytime use of headlamps (here is a convenient checklist). Most motorcycle manufacturers aren't going to cater on a state-by-state level when running the headlamp is nevertheless legal in the states which do not have the requirement.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #10507
EJ_92606
Rider

Quote:
I guess we're mixing up two issues here..I'm talking about how the bike is made..namely no headlight switch. Yes, many states require headlights on, but to my knowledge no state mandates the bike be made with no headlight switch. I have read that 22 states require you to have your headlights on all of the time on a motorcycle, but this is separate from the industry agreement in the US to only manufacture and sell bikes with no headlight switch so that headlights are on all of the time.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #10508
sarhog
Ride far...

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
I guess we're mixing up two issues here..I'm talking about how the bike is made..namely no headlight switch. Yes, many states require headlights on, but to my knowledge no state mandates the bike be made with no headlight switch. I have read that 22 states require you to have your headlights on all of the time on a motorcycle, but this is separate from the industry agreement in the US to only manufacture and sell bikes with no headlight switch so that headlights are on all of the time.
In your previous post, you stated that there is no US legislation requiring motorcycle headlights to be on full time. I was replying to that statement, that in fact, there is legislation requiring it.
Whether or not there is a headlight switch was not mentioned, or addressed.
sarhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:04 PM   #10509
EJ_92606
Rider

Quote:
In your previous post, you stated that there is no US legislation requiring motorcycle headlights to be on full time. I was replying to that statement, that in fact, there is legislation requiring it.
Whether or not there is a headlight switch was not mentioned, or addressed.
Yeap, I should have been more specific. There is no Federal legislation in the US requiring bikes to be built without a headlight switch (ie. lights on all the time). That is an industry agreement.

EJ_92606 screwed with this post 08-20-2013 at 12:12 PM
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #10510
grahamspc
Smitty

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
First to crash a new GSW:( ?

I hit a deer this Saturday, on a rural road in a state forest in PA. Fractured collar bone, scapula and ribs 2-5. Lucky I had my phone with me, and was able to call for help. A short helo flight later and I was in the ER. My full gear saved my ass from so much more pain. The ER staff could not believe it, no lacerations at all. Sitting on the side of the road alone trying not to pass out from the pain was the longest 30 mins of my life.

My beautiful red 2013 GSW was lying there next to me with 470 miles on the clock. :( Hopefully it can be repaired, as I think it just landed on its right side. My first venture into the off road world on a (very easy to ride smooth dirt road) and a GD deer decides to jump out in front of me. I wasnt doing more than 35 mph, it was the middle of the day as well. I've been riding for 17 years, never had a crash.

Oh well. Also, I installed the booster plug, and let me tell you, it makes the bike run very smooth. Worth every penny. Please pray for my bike. Calling the insurance co today.

:(
Get well..glad you are relatively ok...left turner took me out on my 09 GS last year..I am relatively ok also ..but its a bitch...09 GS totaled ...get well soon.
grahamspc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #10511
duffs
It's been useful

Quote:

I hit a deer this Saturday, on a rural road in a state forest in PA. Fractured collar bone, scapula and ribs 2-5. Lucky I had my phone with me, and was able to call for help. A short helo flight later and I was in the ER. My full gear saved my ass from so much more pain. The ER staff could not believe it, no lacerations at all. Sitting on the side of the road alone trying not to pass out from the pain was the longest 30 mins of my life.

My beautiful red 2013 GSW was lying there next to me with 470 miles on the clock. :( Hopefully it can be repaired, as I think it just landed on its right side. My first venture into the off road world on a (very easy to ride smooth dirt road) and a GD deer decides to jump out in front of me. I wasnt doing more than 35 mph, it was the middle of the day as well. I've been riding for 17 years, never had a crash.

Oh well. Also, I installed the booster plug, and let me tell you, it makes the bike run very smooth. Worth every penny. Please pray for my bike. Calling the insurance co today.

Oh no... But the important thing is that you came out of it with minimal injury - hope you heal up quickly.

Nevermind the bike, at the end of the day it's insured and replaceable.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #10512
I GS 1
I 90S I

Oddometer: 620
Quote:

Sounds like the deer over there are as unpredictable as those little black pigs in the Transkei, hope hitting it did less damage. Good luck on both your and the bike's recovery.
I GS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #10513
Centurion210
Attitude Indicator

Oddometer: 84
Quote:

Get well soon. Glad you were wearing protective gear.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #10514
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,013
Quote:
Glad it wasn't worse, heal fast.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:41 PM   #10515
Hambonee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:

DUDE!

Glad you are ok!..bike can be replaced. Good luck with it though..
Hambonee is offline   Reply With Quote