ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #10861
popscycle
Fahren Away
 
popscycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Central MA
Oddometer: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
You've done the right thing
With better brakes, better suspension, better handling, better acceleration, better speed, better cruise control, better nav, better MPG, greater versatility and just plain more fun (than my previous ride); I'd say you are correct.
__________________
Reality extends beyond the limits of our perception.

Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface!

2014 R1200GS | 2010 MX5 | BMW MOA
popscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:28 PM   #10862
pauljm
R1200GS WC
 
pauljm's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Cronulla NSW Australia
Oddometer: 77
Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapadu View Post
I fully agree with that. (had the F8GS too)
Yep same here my F800gs ran way hotter than my LC. Done 10k+ so far no issues.
__________________

R1200GS LC
pauljm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:24 AM   #10863
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer
 
mefly2's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Big Sky Country
Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by popscycle View Post
After having a summer-long demo ride on the SIL's GSW, I have figured out that, despite being of advancing age, it is the one bike for me and I just pulled the trigger on a 2014 with all the goodies an hour ago. Two-wheeled road sofas and other bikes are now officially a thing of my (long time riding) past. May your demo ride go as well; however, it took me a number of days and rides to figure this out.
++++
__________________
----------------> jer-
30+ years with RTs...then to F/GS; now *Finally*
the BMW: R1200GSW, factory low seat & lower crash bars;
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #10864
pauljm
R1200GS WC
 
pauljm's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Cronulla NSW Australia
Oddometer: 77
Mounted direct to clamp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljm View Post
Thanks I found them actually on the ztechnik website exactly the same as the PIAA ones but cheaper. http://www.mototoys.com.au/component....html?Itemid=0
Mounted the lights direct to the bracket. I removed the post & screw holding it then drilled out the hole so the original BMW mounting screw fitted then just spaced it with 1 washer was the exact size for the original mount. Is more solid than the original mount & still swivels for adjustment.
__________________

R1200GS LC
pauljm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:40 PM   #10865
Surveyor1953
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Surveyor1953's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Camarillo, CA
Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by popscycle View Post
With better brakes, better suspension, better handling, better acceleration, better speed, better cruise control, better nav, better MPG, greater versatility and just plain more fun (than my previous ride); I'd say you are correct.
Yessir, a great choice! Mine is somewhere in NJ and it will be here in two weeks. Can't wait
__________________
2002 Honda ST1100
2005 HD Road Glide
2014 BMW R1200GS
Surveyor1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:40 PM   #10866
popscycle
Fahren Away
 
popscycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Central MA
Oddometer: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surveyor1953 View Post
Yessir, a great choice! Mine is somewhere in NJ and it will be here in two weeks. Can't wait
Well then, congratulations on your great choice. Hope you post pics when it comes in as it will help those of us who just ordered. As a reminder to both of us of the great things to come, here's a pic from a ride today on the borrowed (from SIL) 2013.



It is a wonderous thing that an old fart like me can have so much fun on a bike like this after all those years on cruisers and road sofas.
__________________
Reality extends beyond the limits of our perception.

Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface!

2014 R1200GS | 2010 MX5 | BMW MOA

popscycle screwed with this post 09-29-2013 at 05:46 PM
popscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:50 PM   #10867
MIBavarian
Dude idonno...
 
MIBavarian's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Oddometer: 19
Apparently NJ is the holding pen for incoming 2014 GSW's. I hope they open the gate soon... I watched mine cross the pond in a cargo ship named MSC-Monterey on my computer screen for what seemed like eons. Docked in Boston and offloaded on the 16th. Now, she is in a warehouse in NJ. Agony...
MIBavarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:09 PM   #10868
Phaedrus469
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by alouisell View Post
Apparently NJ is the holding pen for incoming 2014 GSW's. I hope they open the gate soon... I watched mine cross the pond in a cargo ship named MSC-Monterey on my computer screen for what seemed like eons. Docked in Boston and offloaded on the 16th. Now, she is in a warehouse in NJ. Agony...
Mine was on the same boat. As of last Friday it's still somewhere in Customs. Amazing that it takes less time to cross the Atlantic on a cargo ship than it does to get thru customs.
Phaedrus469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:26 PM   #10869
beemerbum
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa ON
Oddometer: 50
...and mine is outside in the garage

Hi all, after getting the 2014 F800GS Adventure early this summer, another new machine wasn't (really) in the cards...but then again, I don't play cards. So a fully loaded GSW was brought home yesterday after turning in the '12 Rallye - an eye catcher in its own right, but just not turning my crank like the new one does. Darn, gonna have to do more riding to keep them both well exercised! Now have two machines undergoing farkling...more allowance please!

Pictures to follow as the builds go.

Cheers, Bruce
__________________
----------
One is never enough...2014 F800GS Adventure Launch Edition and now, a 2014 R1200GSW in minimal Red, needing farkling. What, only two...the search continues for something else.
beemerbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:27 PM   #10870
EJ_92606
Rider
 
EJ_92606's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus469 View Post
Mine was on the same boat. As of last Friday it's still somewhere in Customs. Amazing that it takes less time to cross the Atlantic on a cargo ship than it does to get thru customs.
Don't believe it. BMW blamed Customs for hold up of my car. I picked up the phone and contacted Customs and they said it was cleared the day after they received it and was sitting there waiting for BMW to come pick it up. So, "in Customs" doesn't necessarily mean it's Customs fault. In fact, the customer service I received when calling them was fantastic, something that BMW could learn from.
__________________
'13 R1200 GSW
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #10871
hyena
Studly Adventurer
 
hyena's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Central Illinois #1 state for corruption
Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by F16Viper68 View Post
Are there any Wee Strom to LC converts on here? I'm curious if anyone is noticing the heat on the right side of the LC as reported by some. I never noticed any heat coming off my Wee but my Super Tenere is throwing some serious heat off the left side.

I'm mulling over the LC and really don't feel like dealing with another bike blowing heat on my legs.

Before the S10 crowd descends on me and tears me limb-to-limb, I'm in Florida (flipping hot) and yes there's heat and yes it bothers me. I know it doesn't bother some of you. My bike, my call.

Dave...
I had taken a brief test ride at an open house this spring, and didn't notice heat. Yesterday, while my bike was being serviced, I took a 30 or 40 minute test ride on the new LC. It wasn't hot out - 83 degrees. I didn't notice any heat on the highway. Then I did several miles of stop and go on a city street, and definitely noticed heat on my shins, more so the right than left. And defintely more than my 2009. I would not say it was objectionable. Certainly not a deal breaker. Just noticable.

Love the power of that engine. Love the cruise control. Like the transmission. Like the idea of the LED headlight. Dislike the quicker steering. Just felt a little too quick to turn in. A little twitchy.

But that engine ! Sure feels like a lot more than a 20 HP improvement over my 09.
__________________
2014 Road King; 1975 R75/6
hyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #10872
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 53,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Don't believe it. BMW blamed Customs for hold up of my car. I picked up the phone and contacted Customs and they said it was cleared the day after they received it and was sitting there waiting for BMW to come pick it up. So, "in Customs" doesn't necessarily mean it's Customs fault. In fact, the customer service I received when calling them was fantastic, something that BMW could learn from.
Take my word for it, new vehicles are rarely held up in Customs!

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #10873
EJ_92606
Rider
 
EJ_92606's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Take my word for it, new vehicles are rarely held up in Customs!

Jim
That's what I'm saying, although my vehicle wasn't quite new, it was a Euro Delivery, so I had possession of it in Germany and Customs gives those a little more look than 'new vehicles' but even so, the many days it sat there 'in Customs' was not Customs' fault, it was on BMW.
__________________
'13 R1200 GSW
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:38 AM   #10874
popscycle
Fahren Away
 
popscycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Central MA
Oddometer: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyena View Post
I had taken a brief test ride at an open house this spring, and didn't notice heat. Yesterday, while my bike was being serviced, I took a 30 or 40 minute test ride on the new LC. It wasn't hot out - 83 degrees. I didn't notice any heat on the highway. Then I did several miles of stop and go on a city street, and definitely noticed heat on my shins, more so the right than left. And defintely more than my 2009. I would not say it was objectionable. Certainly not a deal breaker. Just noticable.

Love the power of that engine. Love the cruise control. Like the transmission. Like the idea of the LED headlight. Dislike the quicker steering. Just felt a little too quick to turn in. A little twitchy.

But that engine ! Sure feels like a lot more than a 20 HP improvement over my 09.
After driving a Goldwing around for several years, I absolutely love the lighter, quicker steering, handling and engine. It's like the difference between a well-tuned sports car and a loaded dump truck. I was very happy to hear the steering damper doesn't change the feel much. YMMV.
__________________
Reality extends beyond the limits of our perception.

Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface!

2014 R1200GS | 2010 MX5 | BMW MOA
popscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:46 AM   #10875
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"
 
Jabba's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Just east of the Pine Beatle- Evergreen, CO
Oddometer: 12,559
Last government shutdown led to major customs delays- hope you guys don't suffer the same fate

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
__________________
"Everybody loves cunnilingus!" Chacifer

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015