User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2013, 12:50 PM   #10906
nzpete
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
I just don't get why dealers constantly over promise and under deliver, instead of under promising and over delivering. If I would have been told 60 days and it arrived in 45, I would have been ecstatic and my dealer would have been a hero. Now I'm just disappointed.
Salesman are the same the world over, they say what you want to hear.
nzpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #10907
deacon51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by alouisell View Post
Has there been any thought or conversation given to modifying the US versions to allow full use of the LED running lights as in the EU? From what I have read the US version is restricted to 40% intensity, while the EU version has automatic switching from high to low as well as a manual override. Would be nice to get 100% of the light from that sucker...
If you come up with anything be sure to share. I would love to have the full use of the headlight but my bet is that it would be easer to import a bike from the EU than changing over a US market bike. I'm not even sure we have an ambient light sensor.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #10908
atg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon51 View Post
If you come up with anything be sure to share. I would love to have the full use of the headlight but my bet is that it would be easer to import a bike from the EU than changing over a US market bike. I'm not even sure we have an ambient light sensor.

I am sorry if I can't be of much help... At least, if you want to find out if you have a light sensor, know that in the european version it is locaated in the dashboard, on the left side of instrument panel.

On the europeaan version, if the day running lights are set to auto and if at night ( or in a darker place ) if you shine a flashlight over the left side of the instrument cluster it will make the switch turnng on theday time running lights to high intensity (100%) as it senses that the ambient light is high and therefore it must be daylight. Once you turn the flashilght off or away from the sensor it switches back to low beans.

Andre
atg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:10 AM   #10909
iride4u
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Info for everyone who is waiting for 2014s. There is a hold up on the East coast. I do not know if it is customs or BMW as I have heard both ways.
I have a X1M coming into the West coast in 2 weeks and so far that seams to be OK.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:37 AM   #10910
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 848
Quote:
Has there been any thought or conversation given to modifying the US versions to allow full use of the LED running lights as in the EU? From what I have read the US version is restricted to 40% intensity, while the EU version has automatic switching from high to low as well as a manual override. Would be nice to get 100% of the light from that sucker...
Maybe just rewire the LED driving lights with a PIAA harness. Enable the relay with the parking light circuit and has a switch to just turn them on and off.
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:07 AM   #10911
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,447
In my local shop today. They had 8 new GS's delivered at the start of the week. 6 are sold. Guy walks in after a test ride, grins and points at the red one and says "I'll have that one!".

Not so much a case of shooting fish in a barrel - more like putting a shotgun in a goldfish bowl.

No matter what the nay sayers say - this bike is an earner for BM.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:33 AM   #10912
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,128
Quote:
Have a look at these posts I did to explain on another thread:

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=781
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=783

Oh and the second pic in this one: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=776

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:36 AM   #10913
duffs
It's been useful

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon51 View Post

You do have the light sensor as this also switches on the backlighting for the instruments.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #10914
MIBavarian
Dude idonno...

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffs View Post
Thanks to all for your input on the DRL... and Duff, great breakdown of the setup. I look forward to having a closer look at it when my bike arrives. Maybe rewire it with a H/L switch, seems like a plausible solution...

In the meantime I guess I will continue to read about how great it is to own a 13/14 GSW and stack my accessories in the corner of the garage as they arrive. Mine was off the boat in NYC on Sept 16, but the terrain between NY and MI has so far proved impassable. Waddya do? (well... what I do is call my dealer and ask if they have any new information on my bike, then I hang up the phone and )
MIBavarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #10915
MIBavarian
Dude idonno...

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by iride4u View Post
Info for everyone who is waiting for 2014s. There is a hold up on the East coast. I do not know if it is customs or BMW as I have heard both ways.
I have a X1M coming into the West coast in 2 weeks and so far that seams to be OK.
What did you hear? Aside from the fact that there is a lot of us waiting (thus indicating a hold up...) Do you know anything specific?

Should we call our Congressmen and Senators, the national guard, the President if we must and say "Let our Beemer's go!" To hell with the shut down or whatever else they are dealing with, there are citizens waiting on GSW's! ...OK that might be too much. I'll just sit here and wait... (crickets chirp)
MIBavarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:54 PM   #10916
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,347
2014s now arriving, being uncreated, and finding their way onto so cal showroom floors.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #10917
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
2014s now arriving, being uncreated, and finding their way onto so cal showroom floors.
When do you pick yours up?
Old 10-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #10918
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,347
EJ! I still need to ride one of these darned things! And to think I had a deposit on one of the first '13s!

oalvarez screwed with this post 10-05-2013 at 09:35 PM
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:25 AM   #10919
Random-Water
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
You won't be able to hook the LED's to a switch. The wiring going into the LED controler is...odd.

Wire #1. Variable resistance anytime the key is turned on. No continuity to ground. Voltage (negative side) from .5 to .1v that changes. Appears to be a communication wire.
Wire #2. Constant Ground
Wire #3. 10.9V when key turned on but engine off. 12.9V (battery voltage roughly) when engine running.
Wire #4 14.5V anytime key is turned on
Wire #5 14.5V anytime key is turned on

So the "welcome light" feature is somehow programed into the LED controler. As it doesn't show in the voltage going to the lights.
Random-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:27 AM   #10920
duffs
It's been useful

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBavarian View Post
Thanks to all for your input on the DRL... and Duff, great breakdown of the setup. I look forward to having a closer look at it when my bike arrives. Maybe rewire it with a H/L switch, seems like a plausible solution...

In the meantime I guess I will continue to read about how great it is to own a 13/14 GSW and stack my accessories in the corner of the garage as they arrive. Mine was off the boat in NYC on Sept 16, but the terrain between NY and MI has so far proved impassable. Waddya do? (well... what I do is call my dealer and ask if they have any new information on my bike, then I hang up the phone and )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random-Water View Post
You won't be able to hook the LED's to a switch. The wiring going into the LED controler is...odd.

Wire #1. Variable resistance anytime the key is turned on. No continuity to ground. Voltage (negative side) from .5 to .1v that changes. Appears to be a communication wire.
Wire #2. Constant Ground
Wire #3. 10.9V when key turned on but engine off. 12.9V (battery voltage roughly) when engine running.
Wire #4 14.5V anytime key is turned on
Wire #5 14.5V anytime key is turned on

So the "welcome light" feature is somehow programed into the LED controler. As it doesn't show in the voltage going to the lights.
LEDs require a constant voltage within a narrow range - the dimming effect is achieved through pulse width modulation (PWM) which is performed by a micro controller - this is why the LEDs at lower intensity flicker when filmed (tail lamp vs brake lamp on all models, parking lighting vs DRL on ECE models).

The function of PWM is to switch the LED on and off many times per second (not sure of the exact hertz used by BMW, likely in the range of 100-240x/second). The ratio of on-time vs off-time determines how bright the LED looks to your eye. Old CRT monitors and televisions showed onscreen images the same way which is why they appeared to flicker at refresh rates of 60hz or less.

So, in a nutshell, there is no way to 'rewire' the LED to run the DRL at full intensity as this is a function of the regional (US/ECE) programme in your bike's ECU. In theory you could reprogramme it with the ECE software but you would also need to order in the left ECE handlebar control unit with the DRL switch and also the instrument panel controller would need a software update to connect the ambient light sensor to the headlamp controller and enable the DRL indicator light to work.

One thing I'm not clear about is the welcome light function on US/DOT bikes - when you first switch on the key, is the DRL at full intensity, or is it at reduced intensity like when the engine is running?