Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2011, 06:10 AM   #1081
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorbend View Post
I currently ride a Tiger 1050 and have an itch to change. In all honesty the Tiger is a great bike but the new 1200 Explorer Tiger won't be out till summer. There will be little to no aftermarket farkles for some time. There are no reviews or pricing to date. I looked at theTenere and it seems heavy. I suspect both the Tiger and Tenere will lose value quickly. So I started looking at a new 1200GS. Got past the final drive issues mentally. Then I hear about a new liquid cooled GS. Damn. To top that off I am taking a long trip in June. I am in my mid 60s and most likely this will be my last bike due to progressive neuropathy in my legs. I guess I will spring for the GS in a couple of months unless the liquid cooled model will be available this summer some time. When does BMW usually bring out their new models just in case?
I spent a bit of time with my dealer on when the new water head will be out. He does not know. duh He's trying very hard to get me to buy the current GS..."final design...all the bugs are out, etc etc.
He did say something that makes sense. BMW usually shows it new model at Intermot held in August I think. They did not do that last august so if the water head is to be a 2013 model we will have to wait till august to know. Note BMW sells more GSs in Italy than any other nation.

The other option is to watch what is happening at the Spandau factory. When it shuts old GS production down...no more special orders taken.

It seems likely that the GS will be the only water head model....with the R-RT and standard R continuing with the old engine....it would just be too much work to release all new water head models at the same time. This would imply to me that BMW would take the opportunity to take advantage of water head demand and charge a noticeable premium for it over the current engine model.
We have seen this type of change in the past.

just my 2 cents FWIW

On my F800 BMW uses a heat exchanger to cool the oil with water so it does away with the seperate oil radiator...likely the water head will do the same thing.
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:54 AM   #1082
REVjimenez
ESSCAPEr

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypolack View Post
Can someone tell me where the radiators are on this 'waterhead'?? I'm kind of interested in Tagesk's hypothesis.

Also, here's a good comparison for how far upward the cylinders have been relocated-at least on the test mules.

Appreciate you attempting the comparative view...we need more like it for better assessment...in kind, several things that are now more readily viewable that have caught my attention for good or not:

1.) the cylinders for whatever reason appear to be higher on the block....higher means better clearing in the low brush, but also means higher center of gravity...since I enjoy this bike offroad a good bit, my vote is for lower center of gravity to give the heavier GSadv an amazingly lighter feel given its weight.
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=1054

2.) can't tell if that black bit over the tank which appears to be a shroud to induct aire in and out, is for real...if its real, its a big piece that is going to need protection whether it is the GS or the GSadv as it extends down towards the forks, and if you auger it in, all kinds of stuff is going to come flying off...

3.) The light bucket is very F800GS looking...they also appear to be HIDs in that running light which would be a shame to not just go straight LED...in tangent, I have read in numerous tech reports about the biggest of big illumination companies gearing up to replace all light bulbs with LEDs in the coming 6-8 Qs...i expect that to be the norm, and thus expect it with bikes and cars too.

4.) Though I like the looks of the new mirrors, I want maximum rear and side viewage...those look significantly smaller than the ones that are on the current GS/GSadv...

5.) Like the grab handles for the pillion seat...that said, with the custom Russell I got my bride, those would get in the way as the seat has the rounded back area that make them so superb...further, if one takes off the rear seat and wants a flat deck for which to pile gear galore on a solo ride far and wide, those are going to be one sizable pain in the arse.

6.) it may just be the angle of the picture, but in the following links first pic, it looks like the leg has less room between it and the cylinder, and the cylinder is up higher...given that the cylinders radiate heat even if they are water cooled, seems a bit precarious in compare to existing
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=1047

7.) In the following linked image, it appears that the oil filter is under the left cylinder head...that would be loverly for access, but less so for spillage when taking the old off.
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=1052

8.) Though the windscreen looks loverly and is adjustable like a more road fairing bike, my preference is for a wind blockage one like the Cee Bailey I am currently running...nothing like smoking down a dirt or paved road, having your head bob around like the current stock GS or GSadv screens have you do, which plain ole sucks for anyone who has graduated to a Cee Bailey styled screen...no doubt the aftermarket guys will build ones to fit, but after seeing a few of the GT and RT lads drop a bike, those adjustment screen mounts always seem to break.
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=1047

9.) I will be amazed if this bike weighs significantly less than the current models...though reportedly added 10-15hp increase will be nice for the road, offroad, it will be nary a difference...offroad, cut out 50lbs like they did from the 1150 to the 1200, and you have a winner...cut out no weight, and you have a solution looking for a question.

10.) Have to say, expected significantly greater design evolution...this appears to be a mild step up...given all the other bits discussed, my question would be why change unless (a) motor is something as amazing as that of the GTL over the former LT, (b) weight dif is significant, and (c) the price is right?

http://www.esscape.com/rides/2trips/trips.htm

REVjimenez screwed with this post 12-29-2011 at 11:56 AM
REVjimenez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:33 AM   #1083
sanjaya_sugiarto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
One thing I would like to add though:

it seems that the R1250GS LC will have the current RT (or RT-like) controllers on the handlebar. That means, it will have cruise control and Japanese one-button switch (--> I really dont like it. IMO, there is nothing more logical and ergonomics than pressing the left button for going left and pressing the right button for going right!)
sanjaya_sugiarto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:38 AM   #1084
ghostrider1964
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,714
Screens can easily be replaced for aftermarket...legroom cannot...my concern is that it does look tighter for those of us who have long legs and tall of stature...I love my 08 GSA cause it size makes me comfortable. I am not a big fan of peg lowering kits cause I drag my pegs where they are...PLease don't let them become like the others the cater to the little people
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 6 10/23-10/25/2015: ?.......
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:09 AM   #1085
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,219
These new Water boxers will prolly start showing up towards the end of the 2nd quarter of 2012.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:46 AM   #1086
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,462
I'll be very interested in how the option packages are set up. They could "standard" themselves right outta my "wants". Some of us big boys who ride dirt don't really want ESA to be standard and I'm afraid we're gonna get it. And anyway, most dealers will probably order them that way so....my ratty 07 will be still be looking good for a while.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:21 AM   #1087
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkWombat View Post
I reckon the tank is wider, like the 1200GSA to fit the fuel in.
and to make room for the fuel injectors.

JNRobert screwed with this post 12-29-2011 at 10:26 AM
JNRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:38 AM   #1088
snakepilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Wicked W/c gs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deans BMW View Post
These new Water boxers will prolly start showing up towards the end of the 2nd quarter of 2012.
I hope that you are right. The latest issue of BMW magazine (Winter 2011) says it expects the new Boxer to be unveiled at the Intermot show in Cologne which will take place during the first week in October.
snakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:53 AM   #1089
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deans BMW View Post
How do you know this?
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:00 AM   #1090
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by REVjimenez View Post

3.) The light bucket is very F800GS looking...they also appear to be HIDs in that running light which would be a shame to not just go straight LED...in tangent, I have read in numerous tech reports about the biggest of big illumination companies gearing up to replace all light bulbs with LEDs in the coming 6-8 Qs...i expect that to be the norm, and thus expect it with bikes and cars too.

4.) Though I like the looks of the new mirrors, I want maximum rear and side viewage...those look significantly smaller than the ones that are on the current GS/GSadv...
Those lights on the mule are very definitely LED, at least the daytime running light is.

Those are F800GS mirrors, so hard to say if they will be carried over to the new boxer bike or they just threw something on there. Frankly I think the shape is much more useful than the round mirrors on the current GS. I may put them on my bike as others have done.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:03 AM   #1091
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,293
I think the earliest we will see the production WC GS, would be in February at the IMOT show in Munich. BMW debuted the new 6 cyl 1600 at the IMOT. If we don't see it then, it probably won't be until fall 2012 for Intermot. Frankly, I don't see BMW being ready to show the WC boxer just yet (plus sales on the camhead are still good). I'm thinking it will show in fall of 2012 and be on dealer floors spring of 2013.
ShaftEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:14 AM   #1092
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,273
I like the new look, it resembles a Triumph 800 Tiger on steroids. Some are surely going to bitch about it not being tough enough for "real" off road use. These complaints are going to be made by 50+ year old guys on pristine bikes wearing $1500 Rally 2 suits that spend 99.9% of their lives on the road.
BMW is under attack by Triumph, Yamaha and Ducati. They no longer have the luxury of having the only "GS" to choose from anymore. They are not going to put out a underpowered, overweight pig. Too much is on the line.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:31 AM   #1093
McFuryMcNugget
me specie in dea ist

Oddometer: 499
The juggs.

The only reason i can think off this boob lift Job .

Is This.

The Gear box is relocated. And will provide 7 gears. 1 low and 6 go.

2. The shaft drive is a total overhaul.
To me it looks stronger.And more in-line for a better ride quality shifting gears And looks more tension free.

I think this new Heavy Weight Campion of the World will have a lower rev torq peak and a lot more Punch Power.

Makes sense to me anyway.

McFury.
Attached Images

Whats next ? Man walking on the moon ?.
All typing is done with One Finger using a MacPro Computer.
McFuryMcNugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:38 AM   #1094
Dorsicano OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
50+ year old guys on pristine bikes wearing $1500 Rally 2 suits that spend 99.9% of their lives on the road.
Hey I know that guy! He lives in Geneva and rides with me!
Dorsicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:43 AM   #1095
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 6,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaftEd View Post
I think the earliest we will see the production WC GS, would be in February at the IMOT show in Munich. BMW debuted the new 6 cyl 1600 at the IMOT. If we don't see it then, it probably won't be until fall 2012 for Intermot. Frankly, I don't see BMW being ready to show the WC boxer just yet (plus sales on the camhead are still good). I'm thinking it will show in fall of 2012 and be on dealer floors spring of 2013.
As I recall, that was the date from a post several months ago; a 2013 release date. So your logic makes sense to me as well, given that the bike in those images is very raw looking in more than a few details (windscreen, forward edges of side panels, exhaust routing, exhaust / pannier detail and 'head' surfacing to name a few). A Feb IMOT would be far too quick to resolve those areas unless that was / is a very old image.

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"
hillbillypolack is offline   Reply With Quote