Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #10996
notacop01
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
I hope that by the time my ESA shocks need rebuilt or replaced that Ohlins will have a "Mechatronic" system available
notacop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #10997
I GS 1
I 90S I

Oddometer: 622
After the slating the new "wethead" GS recieved when it was launched and how we were led to believe only BMW would make a mistake in it's design/manufacture, it is sobering to read that the follwing was occuring during that same period -

"The company has also posted a "Do not ride" notice to owners and a "Do not deliver" notice to Harley-Davidson dealers until the problem is fixed.
Some motorcycles may exhibit a condition in which the hydraulic clutch system may lose the ability to generate enough lift to disengage the clutch. If the clutch does not disengage as intended, the rider may have difficulty slowing or stopping the motorcycle, which could result in an accident.
Harley-Davidson has initiated these recalls to correct the affected motorcycles, which include FLHTCU, FLHTK, FLHX, FLHTKSE, FLHRSE and Softail CVOs and Trikes, models FLHTCUTG, FXSBSE and FLSTNSE built between May 3, 2013, and October 14, 2013."
I GS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #10998
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Cug, having had custom shocks on a number of bikes, including Ohlins and Wilbers on BMWs, I have to say that the ESA on the new one is pretty darn good.
It's pretty good for an OEM suspension, I agree. Probably the best OEM suspension I have ridden, although I have never tried a KTM which are said to be very good.

It's still not in the league of the Tiger 800 with Traxxion front / Öhlins rear I had before. But it's closer than expected having owned ESA bikes before.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:32 AM   #10999
mountainguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
BMW Headlight Protector

Any idea why BMW says its headlight protector is for off road use only? The protector covers most of the headlight cavity and looks like it would be good for highway use: bugs, rocks, etc.

http://s1160.photobucket.com/user/mo...1688e.jpg.html

Thanks to whoever took this picture. I got from somewhere in this thread.
mountainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:40 AM   #11000
Marki_GSA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainguy View Post
Any idea why BMW says its headlight protector is for off road use only? The protector covers most of the headlight cavity and looks like it would be good for highway use: bugs, rocks, etc.

http://s1160.photobucket.com/user/mo...1688e.jpg.html

Thanks to whoever took this picture. I got from somewhere in this thread.
Probably for ass covering reasons. There may be laws in parts of the world that doesn't allow covers or rather anything that might interfere with the normal focus and pattern in a broader term.
Marki_GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:00 AM   #11001
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,322
Quote:
Any idea why BMW says its headlight protector is for off road use only?
Lighting certification standards are very restrictive. This CYA phrase basically says, "this thing doesn't meet all the regs....". Same phrase is used for fueling mods, exhausts, etc. that aren't certified to meet regs.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:14 AM   #11002
mountainguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Other than regulations, I wonder if this headlight cover can cause reflections back towards the driver or if it would distort the headlight beam, esp. if used at night?

They make a heavy clear film that can be attached to headlights. It is thick enough to protect against small rocks and shouldn't affect the headlight beam. I had a Cee Bailey headlight cover on my K1600 and it got very grimy between the cover and the headlight surface.
mountainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #11003
fennel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffs View Post
[*]The height sensors then report where the bike is sitting in the real world. As examples in the single rider setting - a light rider at 50kg (resulting in the bike sitting high), a heavier rider at 125kg (resulting in the bike sitting low), and an obese rider at 200kg (resulting in the bike sitting very low). The bike needs to be stationary when changing the setting or the height sensors can't give an accurate and consistent reading (due to constant suspension motion while the bike is moving).
When the bike is stationary with the rider on, at least one foot touches the ground. Wouldn't that make the sag reading inaccurate for the sensors?
fennel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:45 PM   #11004
notacop01
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:

They make a heavy clear film that can be attached to headlights. It is thick enough to protect against small rocks and shouldn't affect the headlight beam.
One brand is called "X-Pel", I bought a 2 foot piece of it, I just haven't gotten around to putting it on.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #11005
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by notacop01 View Post
One brand is called "X-Pel", I bought a 2 foot piece of it, I just haven't gotten around to putting it on.
I think the X-pel stuff is actually a 3M product. I went looking for the 3M product and bought... something else. No matter. The hard part was cutting it to size and shape. Installation was pretty easy. If I don't point it out people will never know it's there. http://www.snafu.org/pics/r1200gsw/2...headlamp-film/

Making a template
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:01 PM   #11006
Desert John
Desert John

Oddometer: 199
Back to ESA

Can someone tell me how to reset the default on my ESA. No matter which setting I was in before, upon restart it automatically defaults to "hard" which most of the time is wrong. I would like the default to be "normal" so that I can launch and go up or down depending on many other factors.

BTW, there's nothing on this in my under-the-seat owner's manual.
Desert John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:45 AM   #11007
atg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert John View Post
Can someone tell me how to reset the default on my ESA. No matter which setting I was in before, upon restart it automatically defaults to "hard" which most of the time is wrong. I would like the default to be "normal" so that I can launch and go up or down depending on many other factors.

BTW, there's nothing on this in my under-the-seat owner's manual.
Hi;

ESA settings always return to default upon restarting the bike, In DYNA, for instance, the default is HARD.

However, if you install the plug that enables ENDURO PRO, not only will you enable this aditional mode. but also, whatever set up you make (SOFT, NORMAL OR HARD ) will be retained in the computer's memory and it will no longer reset to default anymore.

Andre
atg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:22 AM   #11008
iride4u
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Other than regulations, I wonder if this headlight cover can cause reflections back towards the driver or if it would distort the headlight beam, esp. if used at night?

They make a heavy clear film that can be attached to headlights. It is thick enough to protect against small rocks and shouldn't affect the headlight beam. I had a Cee Bailey headlight cover on my K1600 and it got very grimy between the cover and the headlight surface.
I am using the BMW head light cover without any problems or additional reflections. I like the additional protection do the cost of the headlamp. I know that a broken headlight can be sent in to BMW for repair but I don't like the down time either.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:29 AM   #11009
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by iride4u View Post
I am using the BMW head light cover without any problems or additional reflections. I like the additional protection do the cost of the headlamp. I know that a broken headlight can be sent in to BMW for repair but I don't like the down time either.
Very interesting. This is the first I've heard of this. How did you come to know this?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:04 AM   #11010
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by iride4u View Post
Hmm. A small locating tab on my LED headlight was broken off when I crashed (deer strike) on my bike. The result? Can't be fixed, new headlight module for $1236.00 from Germany plus 2-3 weeks to get the part. I'm talking about a piece of plastic no bigger than 1cm high, and about the width of 3 toothpicks.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote