Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2013, 07:04 AM   #11011
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by iride4u View Post
I am using the BMW head light cover without any problems or additional reflections. I like the additional protection do the cost of the headlamp. I know that a broken headlight can be sent in to BMW for repair but I don't like the down time either.
Hmm. A small locating tab on my LED headlight was broken off when I crashed (deer strike) on my bike. The result? Can't be fixed, new headlight module for $1236.00 from Germany plus 2-3 weeks to get the part. I'm talking about a piece of plastic no bigger than 1cm high, and about the width of 3 toothpicks.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:50 AM   #11012
2OLD4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Fwiw

At 3478 miles:
Overall MPG:
per my calculation 43.112
per bikes computer 44
all fuel - premium
all fuel - with ethanol
Most miles per tank 217 (Fill on kickstand)
Mileage not as good as others seem to be getting and not as good as my previous RT’s but this bike is much more responsive than the RT and I am probably hot rodding more.

Oil consumption - None
No discernible change in oil level on sight glass since 600 mile service.

2OLD4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:20 AM   #11013
nikkozz
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Great!
nikkozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:41 AM   #11014
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2OLD4 View Post
At 3478 miles:
Overall MPG:
per my calculation 43.112
per bikes computer 44
That'll be interesting. I have my 2014 only for 200 miles so far and I'm averaging 49 mpg. Not taking it slow, but my riding style is to not brake hard and to not accelerate hard and to generally shift early.

We'll see how this works out over time, but I'm very happy with where it is right now, lower than my Tiger 800 when I just got it.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #11015
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert John View Post
Can someone tell me how to reset the default on my ESA. No matter which setting I was in before, upon restart it automatically defaults to "hard" which most of the time is wrong. I would like the default to be "normal" so that I can launch and go up or down depending on many other factors.

BTW, there's nothing on this in my under-the-seat owner's manual.
You have your bike in DYNAMIC mode, so HARD is default on that (and a good reason too).
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #11016
Gary Stofer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Do you have the Enduro Pro plug installed? When it's fitted all settings should remain the same as you have selected when the bike is shut off.
Gary Stofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:39 AM   #11017
Desert John
Desert John

Oddometer: 196
Thanks, NLS, for the Dynamic information. And, no, I do not have the Enduro Plug installed.

But don't I want to be in Dynamic/Road/Normal for standard street and most mountain riding?

The manual is not very clear on all this.

Oh, I really, truly, got 249 miles on one tank of gas two weeks ago in Colorado from Pagosa Springs to Moab, UT via Naturita. It was amazing especially since the next day my run from Moab to Cedar City via US 70 and US 15 garnered a mere 207 with 30 miles left on the remaining countdown.
Desert John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #11018
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert John View Post
But don't I want to be in Dynamic/Road/Normal for standard street and most mountain riding?
Dynamic and Road are two separate running modes. Normal is an ESA setting. My preference is for Road/Normal around town and on the freeways. I switch to Dynamic/Hard for the fun twisties on good pavement. I may use Dynamic/Normal if the pavement isn't so good. On some of the barely maintained county roads that are more patches than road I'll switch to Enduro/Soft. I'll also switch to Soft when in Road mode on some of the more pothole than road surface roads.

That's what I do. You may want to do something different. Play with the modes and find out what works for you. I will say that on a good road surface Dynamic/Hard is great! As others have said.... if you want the bike to remember your ESA setting for particular riding modes then install the Enduro Pro plug.

marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #11019
atwoodtja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
Hmm. A small locating tab on my LED headlight was broken off when I crashed (deer strike) on my bike. The result? Can't be fixed, new headlight module for $1236.00 from Germany plus 2-3 weeks to get the part. I'm talking about a piece of plastic no bigger than 1cm high, and about the width of 3 toothpicks.
Is the broken tab the only damage, or is the lens also broken? If the tab is the only damage, make sure to keep the old one. If you don't think you can figure a way to fix it I'm sure someone will want to buy either the whole thing or just the lens. Usually you can jury-rig a fix with safety wire and thermoplastic.

FWIW, aside from the replacement cost, I'm pretty happy with the LED. Once you adjust it properly so the cutoff is just below horizontal, low beam is very good, and the high beam is stupendous.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #11020
cvan810
cvan

Oddometer: 10
New R 1200 GS

Got it in July from Riverside BMW. The bike is amazing. I bought it to commute and adventure ride. It's amazing off-road and it performs as billed! The photo is above Lake Elisnore
cvan810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:21 PM   #11021
smithdt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Without knowing what the tab looks like, this info could be totally useless to you...but I'll proceed anyway...

If you can make your own tab somehow, you could maybe use a product called "rapidfix" to attached back on the LED casing.

This link is to an Australian utube vid, but It's available from ebay sites as well. I've got some on order, so have not used it yet... but it looks like the go,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSmgEkbp5eM

good luck and if you try this let us know how it went.

cheers
smithdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #11022
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,405
Wicked Great pic!

I need to quit coming here... this bike will cost me money! I must resist!
[/QUOTE]
Old 10-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #11023
iride4u
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
At this point I would be thinking of drilling a hole and fabricating a new part. With the adhesives that are currently available you may be able to do a repair. When I said that the headlight could be repaired I was thinking about a rock strike on the lens.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:14 PM   #11024
iride4u
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
That'll be interesting. I have my 2014 only for 200 miles so far and I'm averaging 49 mpg. Not taking it slow, but my riding style is to not brake hard and to not accelerate hard and to generally shift early.

We'll see how this works out over time, but I'm very happy with where it is right now, lower than my Tiger 800 when I just got it.
As you break in your new bike your MPG will decrease but your fun per mile will increase.
Enjoy your new bike. I also came from a Triumph Tiger XC.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:56 AM   #11025
MIBavarian
Dude idonno...

Oddometer: 19
Talking

So I have been riding primarily in "Road" mode with ESA at normal. Feels good for every day riding. Bike is responsive, comfortable, predictable and fun...

This morning I just did a short jaunt in "Dynamic" mode with ESA at Hard (Default) and Holy Shit!

Throttle response is RIGHT NOW, not a millisecond from now - RIGHT NOW. Roads were damp with patches of dry from last nights rain, traction control rocked it. Definitely not going to hit 40MPGs in Dynamic mode...

I can see having a blast in this mode when conditions are optimal. It will take my brain a bit to adjust to the sensitivity of the throttle however. It really is like ridding two different bikes. After riding in one mode for a while muscle memory helps you determine throttle input on corners, tight maneuvers and the like. What you expect for throttle response determines body position at the moment you twist... Change modes, change everything.

Just a little ha ha for your amusement and illustration of what I have written above... Earlier this week I was pulling out of my garage, bike was in "Rain" mode with ESA at Soft from the night before. As I mentioned I am acclimatized to "Road"... So anyway, I start the bike up, drop into first and recognize I need to maneuver between a car parked in the driveway and side of my garage door. I roll forward, stand on the pegs ready to thread the needle, realize I need to give her a little gas to tighten up my balance and... My normal twist in "Road" was not what I got in "Rain"... Balance goes, bikes lists, plop... TG for the Touratech bars...

So, suffice it to say that the difference between Dynamic and Road is inversely proportional to the difference between Road and Rain.

First week of November I am headed to SC for BMW off-road training, I will be interested to learn the effects of "Enduro Pro" more fully... If I learn anything exciting (and I am thinking I will) I will report...

Have a great ride!
MIBavarian is offline   Reply With Quote