Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2013, 10:40 AM   #11056
iride4u
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random-Water View Post
I think that is carbon fibre vinyl wrap, but I could be wrong.
These are the Hornig Carbon blades. They are not a wrap. The price was high but I just had to have something different. I may add a few more items over time but nothing as big as the blades.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #11057
DMilan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by notacop01 View Post
The carbon fiber blades can be seen on the bike in the picture 2 posts up ^

Yeah, I was aware of that
Wasn't sure what they were though.
And that particular pic, no knock to the owner/photographer, doesn't really show them off / showcase them very well.
In the side-on pic at the Hornig link I think they look fantastic.

Looking back at that Hornig pic today, I guess what I like about the carbon/black radiators guards is that they don't visually jump at me as much. Just sorta blend in.

That's just me though.

I might like 'em just fine in a simple satin black.

d'milan

DMilan screwed with this post 10-28-2013 at 05:31 AM
DMilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #11058
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
I asked my salesmen if it had ride height sensors so the bike is level depending on how much load, and he said no.
here is why I asked:
Manual, page 65.
Dynamic EAS Electronic Suspension Adjustment
- with dynamic ESA

Adjustment Options
Using the electronic suspension adjustment, dynamic ESA you can conveniently adjust your motorcycle to the load.
Using leveling sensors, dynamic ESA detects movements of the running gear and responds to them by adjusting the damper valves.
(this says Damper Valves, not Spring rate)

Now on page 67, under section about Adjusting Chassis (that starts on page 66).
At very low temperatures, unload the motorcycles before increasing the spring preload, and have the passenger dismount if necessary.
This makes me think there is no ride height sensors, and it sounds more like a "pre set" spring load change.
So are you agreeing with me or are you still not understanding what it means
Old 10-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #11059
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
So are you agreeing with me or are you still not understanding what it means
Hi EJ!
oalvarez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #11060
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorlite View Post
I see now. The GS's brackets are indeed bolted on and not really shown otherwise in the photos. This would seem to offer further options for luggage racks and mounts.
Isn't that just what we said ... now get those accessories bolted on!
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:41 AM   #11061
sbrownn
SlowMo

Oddometer: 457
They are there.

Quote:
I asked my salesmen if it had ride height sensors so the bike is level depending on how much load, and he said no.
here is why I asked:
Manual, page 65.
Dynamic EAS Electronic Suspension Adjustment
- with dynamic ESA

Adjustment Options
Using the electronic suspension adjustment, dynamic ESA you can conveniently adjust your motorcycle to the load.
Using leveling sensors, dynamic ESA detects movements of the running gear and responds to them by adjusting the damper valves.
(this says Damper Valves, not Spring rate)

Now on page 67, under section about Adjusting Chassis (that starts on page 66).
At very low temperatures, unload the motorcycles before increasing the spring preload, and have the passenger dismount if necessary.
This makes me think there is no ride height sensors, and it sounds more like a "pre set" spring load change.
You can see the sensors on the bike. My guess would be is that they provide feedback for the on the go damper adjustment and perhaps they balance the spring pre-load front to back as well.

sbrownn screwed with this post 10-29-2013 at 07:50 AM
sbrownn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:08 AM   #11062
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrownn View Post
You can see the sensors on the bike. My guess would be is that they provide feedback for the on the go damper adjustment and perhaps they balance the spring pre-load front to back as well.
Yes, there are sensors, but not for preload just for dynamic damping.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:58 PM   #11063
sbrownn
SlowMo

Oddometer: 457
Makes sense.

Quote:
Yes, there are sensors, but not for preload just for dynamic damping.
Yes, that is probably true.
sbrownn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #11064
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,186
Sorry chaps I’ve been away...

Quote:
Preload is set by changing the height of the spring perch and does so by a motor and not the damper. This is the first I've heard that it measures the rider weight as part of the adjustment...I was also told to unweight the bike when adjusting preload so as not to over stress the motors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
Preload is a function of the spring height/rate.....i don't know preload to be a by-product of damping/fluids. what your tech is describing sounds more like damping (compression and rebound, fluid being pushed thru valves/orifices), and not preload (the spring actually being manipulated lower/higher by force, and in the case of BMW, by a motor...whether that still controls a collar or pushes something else, i'm not sure).
You’re both right - the preload adjuster is separate from the damper, using a motor/pump to increase/decrease the spring compression hydraulically and steplessly. I should have differentiated this clearly, as my previous description excluded this distinction. You can see the individual chambers and how the components slide against each other in the cutaway below.

Ironically my bike is going in on Monday to have the preload system checked/potentially replaced as it intermittently refuses to change settings. After riding in solo mode, if I stop the bike (to wait for someone, for example), then restart it and change to 2-up mode, the indicator flashes indefinitely with no change to the preload. This happens probably 1 in 3 times... a bit annoyed, but at least my dealership has been helpful/understanding and have involved HQ engineers in Munich.

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #11065
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,233
Iv'e got to admit, the while I find the GSW Dynamic ESA to work very good overall, the limit of only 3 options for preload is frustrating. Unless you weigh the ideal 175lbs, the icon settings are way off. Fully geared up, I'm about 230lbs. Put the preload in solo(one helmet) and it is very soft (no cases on the bike). Too soft. Handles pretty bad. So, I have to set icons to solo with luggage, which is a bit too much preload, but a lot better than the one helmet icon only. Is this BMW's way of telling me to go in a diet, and what if you're a lightweight and only way 140lbs? If we could tailor the icon settings to match rider weight, or the bike could do it itself. It has travel sensors, it could add preload when it realized that sag is too much. Maybe the aftermarket will help us out someday with custom springs.
ShaftEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:14 PM   #11066
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,797
[QUOTE=ShaftEd;22778116]Is this BMW's way of telling me to go in a diet, and what if you're a lightweight and only way 140lbs?.[/QUOTE
I was sort of thinking the same thing (but never got around to playing with this feature yet). How does the bike know how much the rider weighs? Now if they adapted those sensors on there to be level sensors, that would be great.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:12 PM   #11067
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaftEd View Post
Is this BMW's way of telling me to go in a diet, and what if you're a lightweight and only way 140lbs?.[/QUOTE
I was sort of thinking the same thing (but never got around to playing with this feature yet). How does the bike know how much the rider weighs? Now if they adapted those sensors on there to be level sensors, that would be great.
That's just it.....it doesn't, but that's where sag measurements come into play. If one truly wants the best performance from their bike's suspension then a "one spring fits all" (variable rate springs help) system won't really allow for such. That's why there are oem and/or aftermarket springs that best suit different rider weights. Of course, some riders may be entirely happy with the oem ride and available preload adjustments, others may not know any better, and some manufacturers may not even allow for different springs, so all of this may be for naught.

oalvarez screwed with this post 11-14-2013 at 08:41 PM
Old 11-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #11068
iride4u
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
[QUOTE=oalvarez;22782426]
Quote:

That's just it.....it doesn't, but that's where sag measurements come into play. If one truly wants the best performance from their bike's suspension then a "one spring fits all" (variable rate springs help) system won't really allow for such. That's why there are oem and/or aftermarket springs that best suit different rider weights. Of course, some riders may be entirely happy with the oem ride and available preload adjustments, others may not know any better, and some manufacturers may not even allow for different springs, so all of this may be for naught.
This is the reason that I installed a set of Wilbers on my GTL and will do the same on the GSW.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:43 PM   #11069
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by iride4u View Post
This is the reason that I installed a set of Wilbers on my GTL and will do the same on the GSW.
I did the same but used Ohlins on an old GS of mine.......the best riding GS, ever.

Wait, you just gave me an idea....
Old 11-14-2013, 08:56 PM   #11070
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaftEd View Post
Iv'e got to admit, the while I find the GSW Dynamic ESA to work very good overall, the limit of only 3 options for preload is frustrating. Unless you weigh the ideal 175lbs, the icon settings are way off. Fully geared up, I'm about 230lbs. Put the preload in solo(one helmet) and it is very soft (no cases on the bike). Too soft. Handles pretty bad. So, I have to set icons to solo with luggage, which is a bit too much preload, but a lot better than the one helmet icon only. Is this BMW's way of telling me to go in a diet, and what if you're a lightweight and only way 140lbs? If we could tailor the icon settings to match rider weight, or the bike could do it itself. It has travel sensors, it could add preload when it realized that sag is too much. Maybe the aftermarket will help us out someday with custom springs.
It seems like it would not be an impossibility for BMW to allow input of the riders "ready to ride weight" and then utilize the idiot icons ... if not directly by the rider (more convenient) at least by the dealer / computer connection.
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote