Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2013, 09:32 AM   #11086
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrownn View Post
You can cut the grips away with a razor blade without harming the heating elements. It is a common technique for replacing the rubber part of the grips.
So you're saying the heating elements ARE part of the grip itself? It's difficult for me to visualize how to cut a "rubber" part of the grip from a "heating element" part of the grip, unless the boundary between the two is pretty well defined (maybe it is).

Have you done this?
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #11087
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg View Post
So you're saying the heating elements ARE part of the grip itself? It's difficult for me to visualize how to cut a "rubber" part of the grip from a "heating element" part of the grip, unless the boundary between the two is pretty well defined (maybe it is).

Have you done this?
In old GS (and I suspect remains the same), there is a thin uninsulated wire going round the grip just below the rubber. "Normally" (BMW way) you get special grips to replace them. Normal people in practice cut the rubber part CAREFULLY so no to cut the wire (not that you cannot fix it, but why make things hard?) and then you put nice normal grips for like 1/10th of the cost.
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #11088
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
Many bike's physical weight may be evenly distributed but that doesn't mean that is how the laden bike's weight is distributed. Still, the bikes front/rear balance is affected by the differing/changing loads on the bike itself (fuel, rider/gear, luggage, passenger). Adjustable fork/front preload is not leading technology, but if the bike's balance is always in balance without having to adjust the preload up front, then i suppose it's not necessary. If I'm not mistaken, prior non-ESA GS/GSA bikes have adjustable preload on the front suspension even if only in " click" form. I'm confident that those bikes had close to the same weight distribution as the ESA equipped ones.
My sense is that the rider sits more toward the rear, further back from the steering crown, on the LC. Perhaps due to the down draft EFI and new air box.

Paul
Old 11-17-2013, 07:51 AM   #11089
sbrownn
SlowMo

Oddometer: 457
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg View Post

Have you done this?
I'm saying they are not part of the grip itself. It's like the grip is an extremely tight fit around the heater part. You just start a slit in the grip on the inside edge and carefully cut with a razor blade as you stretch the slit apart. It really is quite easy to do without cutting the heater wires. I have replaced the grips on both sides twice. For BMW you use the throttle side grip for both sides. That means you have to purchase two sets and just use the throttle grip from each set.
sbrownn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:00 AM   #11090
Steve W.
Boxer Pilot

Oddometer: 289
http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom...placement.html

In advrider "hall of wisdom"

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-17-2013, 08:40 AM   #11091
b-crow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
sell?

So, when are you going to sell your 2013 so I can have it?
b-crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:31 AM   #11092
cardoctor1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
Quote:
One of the short comings of the LED lights is that they don't get hot enough to melt snow. Riding home last night I had to stop every couple of miles to clear off the headlight and motolights, both of which are LED.
had a similar problem with the new traffic lights in town. led saved money except the lights were snow covered .had to add some kind of heater to keep the light warm.
IBA#35592
RIDE EVERY RIDE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST
00 R1150GS
cardoctor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:41 AM   #11093
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,912
When the R100RS hit the market, everyone noticed and asked about the group of thin brown lines that ran across the fairing's headlight glass. I don't have anything official, so this could be incorrect, but at the time we were told (by a now defunct BMW shop in CT) that they were there in order to catch a little heat so that ice would not form in the glass.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #11094
Marki_GSA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
There is supposed to be a fan in the LED headlights. One purpose is to cool the junction point of the LED's themselves and another is the excess heat is blown at the front to melt snow and ice. The full description and pictures is in a link somewhere in the early days of this thread.
Marki_GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #11095
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marki_GSA View Post
There is supposed to be a fan in the LED headlights. One purpose is to cool the junction point of the LED's themselves and another is the excess heat is blown at the front to melt snow and ice. The full description and pictures is in a link somewhere in the early days of this thread.
It’s in the BMW press kit... although depending on the ambient temperature, amount of snow falling, and how long the LED headlamp is on (ie how warm it is), the circulation of warm air would be insufficient to clear snow which can build up in some conditions even on standard halogens... even after several hours of riding, the LED headlamp on my bike usually feels cold to the touch at the front.

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #11096
OzOldrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Hi, been here awhile just lookin. Anyway how you guys finding the seats on the new GSLC. I have an RT with all day seats which are great.

Just wondering if I will have to go that custom seat road again if I go for a GSLC. Only sat on one so far felt ok, I just about always ride 2 up so dose the rear set stack up for your passenger? probably more
inportant.

Thanks in advance
Bill
OzOldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:31 PM   #11097
vikingolly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
wilbers

They do, and they are very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaftEd View Post
Wilbers makes replacement springs for the HP4 Dynamic suspension, so maybe they will make springs for the GS. Hell, the front shock on the GSW doesn't even have any preload adjustment at all. Seems pretty weird to me.
I am hearing some rumors of Wilbers making complete Dynamic replacement shocks for the GS(haven't found them on the interweb yet), and Touratech just debuted Dynamic shocks at the ECIMA 2013 show for the GSW. These may be options down the road, as it stands now, I spent way to much $ to also add in $3k-$4k in aftermarket shocks. Besides the stock stuff works very good. I'd just like to be able to ge a proper sag setting for me, and me with luggage. Oh well, my Dr. told me to go on a diet anyway.

"There are NO coincidences." (102 year old lady in a church in Scotland)

BMW R1200 GSA 2007 and 2014 GSW (USA), HD Ultra CVO 2013, in Australia
vikingolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:29 AM   #11098
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaftEd View Post
Iv'e got to admit, the while I find the GSW Dynamic ESA to work very good overall, the limit of only 3 options for preload is frustrating. Unless you weigh the ideal 175lbs, the icon settings are way off. Fully geared up, I'm about 230lbs. Put the preload in solo(one helmet) and it is very soft (no cases on the bike). Too soft. Handles pretty bad. So, I have to set icons to solo with luggage, which is a bit too much preload, but a lot better than the one helmet icon only. Is this BMW's way of telling me to go in a diet, and what if you're a lightweight and only way 140lbs? If we could tailor the icon settings to match rider weight, or the bike could do it itself. It has travel sensors, it could add preload when it realized that sag is too much. Maybe the aftermarket will help us out someday with custom springs.
No idea about the first, but I don know a bit about the second. Although I do weigh more than 140, about 145, I do think I know a bit about that. The preload is a bit higher then it should be, but that only creates a bit harder ride. If I want my comfort I just put it in comfort. It improves a bit with 2 cases and some luggage (not that it is bad). I only put it on 1+ luggage when it is all packed up with 3 cases, rolbag, ...

Yes, still a rookie
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:31 AM   #11099
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
It seems like it would not be an impossibility for BMW to allow input of the riders "ready to ride weight" and then utilize the idiot icons ... if not directly by the rider (more convenient) at least by the dealer / computer connection.
Add another value? Asian, European or North American?
A bit like the clothing sizes.

Yes, still a rookie
Old 11-18-2013, 12:39 AM   #11100
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
One of the short comings of the LED lights is that they don't get hot enough to melt snow. Riding home last night I had to stop every couple of miles to clear off the headlight and motolights, both of which are LED.
I try not to drive mind when it snows to much. And over here that shouldn't be to much of a problem.

Yes, still a rookie