Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #1291
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,757
ESA is not active suspension. It's pre-programmed preload and damping. The values BMW picker are just about guaranteed to be wrong for me on any setting. I want something I can tune for the roads and way I ride, not some generic setting which may be right for some hypothetical rider on whatever BMW thinks is an average road.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #1292
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
ESA is not active suspension. It's pre-programmed preload and damping. The values BMW picker are just about guaranteed to be wrong for me on any setting. I want something I can tune for the roads and way I ride, not some generic setting which may be right for some hypothetical rider on whatever BMW thinks is an average road.
Yes, I'm not a fan of ESA either, and if I was getting a new 2012 bike, I'd opt out for it and add aftermarket. However, I'm just saying with the 2013 bike, BMW is going to try a newer "active" version of ESA, or at least that's the rumor. I would definitely like to see something with standard settings, that you could override and set to whatever you want. Just like the Electronic Ohlins on the Ducati Multi-Stroodel. Of course, knowing BMW they will probably lock down the settings as "der fatherland knows best".
ShaftEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #1293
marchyman
Cam Killer

My fears, exactly.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:09 PM   #1294
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaftEd View Post
Yes, I'm not a fan of ESA either, and if I was getting a new 2012 bike, I'd opt out for it and add aftermarket. However, I'm just saying with the 2013 bike, BMW is going to try a newer "active" version of ESA, or at least that's the rumor. I would definitely like to see something with standard settings, that you could override and set to whatever you want. Just like the Electronic Ohlins on the Ducati Multi-Stroodel. Of course, knowing BMW they will probably lock down the settings as "der fatherland knows best".
The latest "MOTORRAD" article referred to this as the "active" part connecting what?
Do you guys know how this works and why the movement from the rear swing-arm needs to be connected to this?

http://www.motorradonline.de/de/heft...0-gs-lc/399136

tallguy-09 screwed with this post 01-06-2012 at 06:18 PM
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #1295
flightestman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
I agree

and the R1200GS is a very nice bike in fact the suspension and the frame are almost identical to the newer bike, In some ways and surprising the bike is very similar to the R1200GS probably they did not want to stray too far from their golden egg design. The dash is modern maybe in my opinion too modern for running across a desert in a 3rd world country. Im not worried about this bike I think in some ways it the final step to really modernize the bigger GS motorcycle,but it missing everything it once was. i have my dream bike the R1200GS. The next bike will be either Multistrada Ducati 1198cc or the BMW GT i don't like the chrome on the GTL and the GT suppose to have a little less aggressive sitting position. In the end it splitting hairs ill still be on a GS cruising for miles and miles and camping out under the stars in my view this is my dream bike not the new GS.

flightestman screwed with this post 01-06-2012 at 06:11 PM
flightestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:17 PM   #1296
flightestman
Gnarly Adventurer

2011 isn't going to drop to 10k in 2013

Maybe 15k iwhat will happen is it will take 5 years to do that just like the prior model depreciated to 10k 1150ccGS,, I don't care I'm keeping my R1200GS it the last air cooled it nice in my collection of motorcycles for the rest of my life that will keep.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #1297
flightestman
Gnarly Adventurer

Thats importain to know

YEs the first GS boxer was 798cc and that was the big GS. don't be surprised with the liquid cooled and a HP moving up 20 plus percent. do you need hell no but it is a competition.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #1298
flightestman
Gnarly Adventurer

Thats my next bike.

Thats my next bike.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #1299
flightestman
Gnarly Adventurer

the piston head looks upside down

IT appears it not as pretty with as the 1200GS.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #1300
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightestman View Post
YEs the first GS boxer was 798cc and that was the big GS. don't be surprised with the liquid cooled and a HP moving up 20 plus percent. do you need hell no but it is a competition.
It's strange the GS grew bigger and bigger, isn't it?
With cars the engine size is no longer important with downsizing happening more and more.
Weight goes up because of safety stuff but you could argue there could be room for an 800cc Boxer in the lineup
once the big GS get's to 1400cc what will happen...
Old 01-06-2012, 08:10 PM   #1301
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
Nice - to my eye better than the 1200. Closer to the 1150 proportions (at least from that angle).
Old 01-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #1302
marchyman
Cam Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
Nice - to my eye better than the 1200. Closer to the 1150 proportions (at least from that angle).
Anything that gets rid of that shiny boomerang trim they added to the front panels in '08 looks better to my eye.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:02 PM   #1303
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
Say you have a PC or Mac, and it's hooked to a printer via a USB cable. When you print a document, do you imagine that the USB interface did the printing? Or, are you clear that the printer did the work, and the USB interface merely carried data?

That's how a CAN interface works. It doesn't turn on a headlight, any more than it prints a document. The CAN interface merely carries data to and from complex devices. The CAN interface is unaware of the data it's carrying. The CAN interface is no more aware of what type of data it's sending than a USB interface is.

The smart money says that the explanation will prove pointless. You know, because everybody knows that the CAN interface powers and controls everything.
BMW wastes the potential of the CAN by transmitting such mundane information. Think of what telephone lines have carried, news of war, peace, birth and death. What's BMW put on it, headlight condition, turn signals etc. How maudlin.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #1304
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
The latest "MOTORRAD" article referred to this as the "active" part connecting what?
Do you guys know how this works and why the movement from the rear swing-arm needs to be connected to this?
]
Probably spring travel sensor. Here's a link to a pretty good explanation of what bmw is up to:

http://www.gizmag.com/bmw-active-mot...-damper/19113/
ShaftEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #1305
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaftEd View Post
Probably spring travel sensor. Here's a link to a pretty good explanation of what bmw is up to:

http://www.gizmag.com/bmw-active-mot...-damper/19113/
Cool! "Semi-Active" suspension as "the next logical step forward from the existing ESA II electrically adjustable suspension".

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/press...hmentId=171183

tallguy-09 screwed with this post 01-06-2012 at 10:39 PM