Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2012, 09:47 PM   #1336
peter-k
Candyman

Oddometer: 70
Where you are getting these information from, it's wrong.

Mr. von Künheim says the company is perfectly capable of getting the air-cooled engines through not just the next round of Euro emissions regulations but the ones after those too. He stated that several times in front of the press. He further says the air cooled boxer engine will still exist for a while in form of Classic versions, for as long as people buy them. No details about these Classic versions are provided.

Euro 3 scooters and motorcycles up to 125 cc: 2016
Euro 4 / 5 motorcycles above 125 ccm: 2016
Euro 6 motorcycles above 125 cc: 2020

peter-k screwed with this post 01-08-2012 at 10:11 PM
peter-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #1337
idea man
Plate Spinner

Oddometer: 2,513
Zehr interesant...
[*]'06 1150 GSA Thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375824[*]'06 1150 GSA SE Registry: http://www.ericsyn.com/2006bmwr1150gsadv.html[*]Great Ride North, Alaska/Yukon '09 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494846[/LIST]
idea man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #1338
flightestman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
WOW they are going to make it like the GT

I heard from a dealer when said i bought the 2012GS but i know the new one will be out in 2013 he said that bike won't be out for a long time. Though the spy pictures i thought made that new design look ugly now that see it looks good but it so similar to the R1200GS in white fully loaded it would get now that i have i know other then like small difference it the same bike. i don't ant a GT modern display and i love the old air oil more it looks better with the exhaust coming out the front.
flightestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #1339
mindfulness
more ride less worry

Oddometer: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightestman View Post
I heard from a dealer when said i bought the 2012GS but i know the new one will be out in 2013 he said that bike won't be out for a long time. Though the spy pictures i thought made that new design look ugly now that see it looks good but it so similar to the R1200GS in white fully loaded it would get now that i have i know other then like small difference it the same bike. i don't ant a GT modern display and i love the old air oil more it looks better with the exhaust coming out the front.
2012 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 evo sp
mindfulness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:47 PM   #1340
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightestman View Post
I have a 2010 but compared to the 2013 it looks dated (2004).
The dealer says what he needs to say to sell bikes today and not tomorrow (as long as there's no official word form BMW Motorrad).
This year he sells the 2012 and next year the same thing (at least if it's USA/Canada) but in 2014 he will sell the new thing in NAFTA as well, I could be wrong

tallguy-09 screwed with this post 01-09-2012 at 08:53 PM
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:34 AM   #1341
Marki_GSA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter-k View Post
Where you are getting these information from, it's wrong.

Mr. von Künheim says the company is perfectly capable of getting the air-cooled engines through not just the next round of Euro emissions regulations but the ones after those too. He stated that several times in front of the press. He further says the air cooled boxer engine will still exist for a while in form of Classic versions, for as long as people buy them. No details about these Classic versions are provided.

Euro 3 scooters and motorcycles up to 125 cc: 2016
Euro 4 / 5 motorcycles above 125 ccm: 2016
Euro 6 motorcycles above 125 cc: 2020
I did say IF their engines aren't clean enough not that they aren't.
Marki_GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #1342
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 758
Make no mistake that GS will be launched this year. Otherwise we will all be riding Triumphs
seriously they must see how much interest the trumpet is getting. It's even right at the top of my list, and I am a BMW fanboy
Old 01-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #1343
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
OK, I'll play the blue meany.... I certainly hope it doesn't have cruise control. Or if it does that it is a stand-alone option, not one of those options that are part of package that you have to order in order to get the few things you really want.

If you want cruise control buy an RT or a GT.

Other things I don't want on a GS ... ESA ... radio ... bluetooth anything
Well I think that cruise control on my GSA would sure come in handy on my trip from Texas to Alaska and back. I'm not much on gadgets either, damn sure don't like ESA, if I want to listen to music I have ear phones, but cruise would help the old paws on that long of a trip.

Ridden so many bikes I lost count ! ! !
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:30 PM   #1344
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingbong View Post
seriously they must see how much interest the trumpet is getting. It's even right at the top of my list, and I am a BMW fanboy
We'll see how deep that interest is when the sales figures for the last 6 months are ready.

My guess is that the GS outsells the Triumph 10:1 in Europes biggest marked (which is Italy).

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:41 PM   #1345
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingbong View Post
Make no mistake that GS will be launched this year. Otherwise we will all be riding Triumphs
Well, at the Los Angeles Motorcycle show there wasn't anyone looking at the new Explorer when I walked by...heck the R1200R sport got more attention and the R is a low selling bike in the U.S. with just a warmed over mid-cycle change. And GS sales in the US were very strong in 2011, so it sure doesn't seem that anyone was holding back waiting for the Explorer....shrug
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #1346
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,106
Oh I'm pretty sure we all can concede, that no one is going to seriously tilt the scales, of BMW's sales dominance in the adv category.

But for those that want to break out of the lineup queue, leading up to and through the BMW dealers doors, it's sure nice that there's getting to be such a diverse bunch of competent and competitive alternatives, arriving on the scene.

996DL
996DL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #1347
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,581
The problem with the air oil cooling is power density. It is hard to achieve durability at high horsepower levels with air oil cooling. Winter things are a little cold and there is too much clearance. Summer too little. They know that people look at the horsepower and make a decision. Why have 100 horsepower when you can have 130. Sure, 50 is enough, but people are not like that. For those that know better, they will have the classics as long as the emissions cert process is not expensive, and the sell. The rest get the higher power.

Bet the higher power outsells.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #1348
peter-k
Candyman

Yep, that's what Mr. Motorrad Boss said, predominant are the thermal issues and he competitive situation. He sees the Tiger Expl. as the one and only serious competitor.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:43 PM   #1349
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter-k View Post
Yep, that's what Mr. Motorrad Boss said, predominant are the thermal issues and he competitive situation. He sees the Tiger Expl. as the one and only serious competitor.
Uuh, he said that? Since when does to guy in charge single out one model as the sole competition? There are many motorcycles but so few BMW's :-)
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:07 AM   #1350
peter-k
Candyman

Yo. Me, citing from me old memory:
Quote:
- One GS wannabe that's not a good copy
- One that' is a good motorcycle but does not really belong into the GS category
- And the other one that is a much better copy and the direct competitor
And he does not sound unhappy. They have been long wanting a serious competitor. No competition kills the market on the long run. A catastrophic scenario for BMW. It's interesting what he says. Can you read German?