User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2012, 03:41 AM   #1351
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.

Oddometer: 3,637
WET CLUTCH.....

Of course, BMW, being as they are, it would be hard to believe there wouldn't be something a little 'groundbreaking' with this model. Seeing as how Honda (uglyfugly, but super effective 1200) has been the first to introduce the Dual Clutch, could there be something even more interesting in that area??

http://www.getrag.com/en/216
Old 01-11-2012, 07:09 AM   #1352
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Well, at the Los Angeles Motorcycle show there wasn't anyone looking at the new Explorer when I walked by...heck the R1200R sport got more attention and the R is a low selling bike in the U.S. with just a warmed over mid-cycle change. And GS sales in the US were very strong in 2011, so it sure doesn't seem that anyone was holding back waiting for the Explorer....shrug

Must have been when you were there, because when I was there on Sunday there was a line at the Explorer. I had to come back by twice before I could sit on it and get the sales demo. It was very well received by the crowd that was standing around it and the Triumph guys seemed pleased.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:58 AM   #1353
Jonny955
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Question Higher CofG?

Hi.

I'm always interested in new models, especially in the Adventure bike market. I've been taking a look at these pictures and the thing that struck me was how high the cylinders appear to be placed. Now, this could be a trick of the angle or whatever but the cylinders appear to be mounted higher than the 'old' R12GS, perhaps such that the top edge of the fins is level with the top of the tyres.

Has this been done to raise ground clearance and if so, what affect would this have on the legendary GS handling? There are both advantages and disadvantages off-road but it doesn't bode well for picking up the bike, especially if a few pounds are being added to the mix....

Jon
Jonny955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:21 AM   #1354
Jarvis
DC GSer

Oddometer: 10,428
The water jackets increased the width of the cylinders. To maintain the max achievable lean angle, the cylinders were raised higher.

At least, that's my guess after noting the same thing.

How much it will affect COG and handling is anyone's guess.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:00 AM   #1355
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvis View Post
The water jackets increased the width of the cylinders. To maintain the max achievable lean angle, the cylinders were raised higher.
At least, that's my guess after noting the same thing.
How much it will affect COG and handling is anyone's guess.
Width increase is speculation and the cylinders could have moved up a bit because of the new overall engine layout.
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:50 AM   #1356
Jarvis
DC GSer

Oddometer: 10,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
Width increase is speculation and the cylinders could have moved up a bit because of the new overall engine layout.
Well, I will not deny that "my guess" = "speculation."
Old 01-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #1357
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvis View Post
The water jackets increased the width of the cylinders.
Hmmm, but I didn't think the cylinders were water cooled. I'm trying to remember the write-up with pics of the new case I read last year -- or was in in 2010? I thought there was a channel through the cylinders to get to the head, but the cylinders still relied on being out in the air stream. I don't trust my memory so may be more full of crap than usual.

Also, I don't think the cylinders are any higher. Looks more like the angle of the photograph... Let's see....

marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #1358
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,106
I .....don't think the over all width of the engine is any wider.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #1359
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 513
The cylinders and heads will certainly be water cooled. What else?? These are the places where the heat is generated, much in the heads...exhaust gases flow thru the head. that is the place where the most heat news to be dissipated. Actually my ..guess.. that a water cooled head would be more compact than one that relied on air cooling. Water is a MUCH better media to transfer heat vs air.

Also not sure that the cylinders are higher now.....but could be as the transmission is in the engine case below the engine per the drawings that have been circulating. my guess the CofG would be the same or better than current models
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #1360
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
Hmmm, but I didn't think the cylinders were water cooled. I'm trying to remember the write-up with pics of the new case I read last year -- or was in in 2010? I thought there was a channel through the cylinders to get to the head, but the cylinders still relied on being out in the air stream. I don't trust my memory so may be more full of crap than usual.

Also, I don't think the cylinders are any higher. Looks more like the angle of the photograph... Let's see....

View from side, a bit higher I'd say but yes the bike is leaned over to the other side what makes
the cylinders look higher up...

Motorrad 01/2012
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #1361
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,749

It looks like they changed the design of the cast wheels to make them look spindly. All the more reason to drop 2 large on the spoke wheels.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #1362
HornHonker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
More Boxer Water Coolness

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...iew-91202.html
HornHonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #1363
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
It looks like they changed the design of the cast wheels to make them look spindly. All the more reason to drop 2 large on the spoke wheels.
And I suspect that they'll include the "soft alloy safety feature" used in the first-gen oilheads too.
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:03 AM   #1364
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac57 View Post
And I suspect that they'll include the "soft alloy safety feature" used in the first-gen oilheads too.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:30 PM   #1365
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 5,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter-k View Post
Where you are getting these information from, it's wrong.

Mr. von Künheim says the company is perfectly capable of getting the air-cooled engines through not just the next round of Euro emissions regulations but the ones after those too. He stated that several times in front of the press. He further says the air cooled boxer engine will still exist for a while in form of Classic versions, for as long as people buy them. No details about these Classic versions are provided.

Euro 3 scooters and motorcycles up to 125 cc: 2016
Euro 4 / 5 motorcycles above 125 ccm: 2016
Euro 6 motorcycles above 125 cc: 2020
This makes far far more sense to me in light of BMW's engineering prowess.

1) if the HP2 Sport generated 133hp from a camhead engine and still wasn't near it's power potential, that tells me the overall engine 'architecture' is under-stressed. Not only the HP2 Sport, but what about the R1200S based on the hexhead? These two bikes illustrate to me the flexibility of power delivery that still has not been tapped in the GS model lineup. I.E., even with incremental changes, there is more to be had from that engine architecture (see also the 1270cc thread)

2) GS riders / owners don't value peak horsepower as much as subtlety, control and torque delivery.

3) if BMW wants to differentiate themselves at all, why play the same water-cooled game as their competitors? Any entrepreneur will tell you that if you want to win any segment, don't play the same game as your competition.

BMW has a reliable history of continent-crossing success with the venerable air-cooled engine. Re-configuring it, optimizing it would be more sensible that just heading down the water cooled 'me-too' soup line.

4) Based on other BMW engine innovations (VANOS, etc) and developments in engine coatings to reduce and dissipate heat, minimize friction and understand engine stresses better, I could see an air-cooled engine for at least a decade or more. Emissions considerations will be an equivalent concern for any other OEM, whether water cooled or otherwise.

I'd like to see BMW think outside the box and alter their air-cooled engine in a way to optimize what the GS stands for. . . and not follow in the footsteps of other OEMs.

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"
hillbillypolack is offline   Reply With Quote