Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2012, 11:53 AM   #1426
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
Let's face it, most of us wouldn't post her without "Made in China", Tapatalk via iPhone, iPad.. :-)
Theses days we benefit a lot from "Engineered in Germany" or "Made by BMW" but production moves around the globe, at least most of the value-ad happens in Germany...and the well paying jobs stay there as well, at least for now.
Globalization is nothing new and living in Vancouver you better know some Mandarin and my kids for sure compete with a huge and hungry Chinese population but still, Saturday is German class again...
That doesn't mean that I will ever spend MY money on a motorcycle with a Chinese transmission or engine. I won't.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #1427
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
That doesn't mean that I will ever spend MY money on a motorcycle with a Chinese transmission or engine. I won't.
Sure. I wouldn't buy one that ships from a Chinese factory either at the moment but in my case I would for sure buy one with components manufactured in China, this keeps prices down and quality doesn't necessarily has to suffer because of it. Triumph builds in Thailand and nobody cares, at least I think.
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:36 AM   #1428
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
Sure. I wouldn't buy one that ships from a Chinese factory either at the moment but in my case I would for sure buy one with components manufactured in China, this keeps prices down and quality doesn't necessarily has to suffer because of it. Triumph builds in Thailand and nobody cares, at least I think.
Knowing people who do business in China, I know that it is possible to make high quality goods there. I also know that maintaining quality control over there is a freaking nightmare. BMW has already had enough QC problems with euro sourced parts, so the track record does not exactly fill me with confidence.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #1429
conrado
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Has any one seen this picture ? I found it in the German GS-Forum, there was no mention were it came from.
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #1430
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 512
best picture yet

The fairing in the front seems a bit unfinished yet. It there some type of fairing mount by the fork clamp area. The detail around the head lights seems un finished to. Lots to me ilke they are still working on fairing design/details

the engine looks very far forward....?? if true seems a lot more weight on the front wheel
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #1431
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,602
about the only way to get quality parts every time is have a source inspector over there. You go the the various vendor factory's when they are making your parts, verify the quality before they are packed to ship to you and you pay for them.

This is such an expensive process many will try not to do it and disaster will strike.

The source inspector can not be Chinese, as I will not trust any of them. So you end up sending one of your guys, and he verifies the parts. This makes you buy large quantities, and tie up capitol.

You still run the risk of having your vendors decide you are not a good customer and drop you. The Chinese think all things break, defects happen and can not be prevented.

So you have my opinion.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:10 PM   #1432
peter-k
Candyman

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by conrado View Post
Has any one seen this picture ? I found it in the German GS-Forum, there was no mention were it came from.
A Swiss graphic designer did this. One of the MOTORRAD early bird photos is the basis.
peter-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:31 PM   #1433
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Quote:
I'd say the 2 pictures are pretty close:

Old 01-24-2012, 06:32 PM   #1434
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 959
Quote:
Looks like a Triumph
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:26 PM   #1435
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregster View Post
Looks like a Triumph
How about a Moto Guzzi? :-)
Old 01-24-2012, 10:23 PM   #1436
flightestman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
What happens if the oii pump goes on the R1200GS

What happens if the oil pump goes on the R1200GS i mean doesn't that equal if the water pump went. Also can the bike still run without the oil pump? so glad i bought the R1200GS the new one isn't for me. it to future is tic for a survival bike. the raised the pistons up and put fake fins on it i don't like the intake and the exhaust. Slipper clutch is nice, but maybe they won't put it on just like the F800GS. you an buy a slipper clutch for the R1200GS and get a ceramic clutch or wait and wonder when it will come in and wait cause you don't want the first year and skip the 90 years old classic in its finest phase of revolution.

flightestman screwed with this post 01-30-2012 at 09:04 AM
flightestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:17 AM   #1437
dmitrizouev
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
now we have to wait for water cooled URAL
dmitrizouev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:42 PM   #1438
peter-k
Candyman

Oddometer: 70
My opinion: Forget about your motorcycle press. Most if it is rubbish. Sorry for being not diplomatic anymore.

May be the one or the other can understand a little German. Or just use a translation program. I will gladly help as well.
http://www.motorradonline.de/de/moto...365973?seite=2
peter-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:55 PM   #1439
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,647
Meh. Right now it's kind of like Playboy: Just show me the pictures, I can read later.
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:20 PM   #1440
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 5,740
Even with the rudimentary Google Chrome translating the German text, I think it's pretty clear from the text below:

"Mr. von Kuenheim, how long will you hold on to the air-cooled boxer engine?

I can assure you, we will hold on to the boxer with air cooling for years.

How much more power and torque he would still have reserves?
That depends on what one wants. For torque-oriented design we currently have safely reached an optimum. As good as the still very new DOHC boxer for the GS, R and RT, has never been a boxer engine. If oriented toward performance, the engine marks the top at the HP2 Sport. Between 110 hp and 133 hp everything is possible.

The new EU guidelines for type approval are still far from resolved, the air-cooled boxer met so many years to come the valid regulations.
What are the reasons you could make them preferable to the introduction of a water-cooled engine? The Boxer, as it is conceived today, we can also meet the future limits for exhaust and noise. It forces us to no water cooling.

What are the technical advantages of the water engineers promise your boxers?

An air-cooled engine comes with improved performance at some point and thermodynamically different materials natural physical limits. Water cooling offers advantages but would be a higher cost to operate the cooling system? As you know, effort, and usually means weight. Therefore, we consider very carefully what we do.

Such an engine concept suggests that there might be in the foreseeable future, a sportier version of the R 1200 GS, similar to the Ducati Multistrada.
What do you think? We already had exclusive, sporty offshoot of the GS in the program: the HP Enduro and - if one draws the circle a little bigger - the HP Megamoto. Both models have enough power to deliver lots of driving fun. I also did not feel that our successful boxer GS models necessarily need even more power.

What do you prefer?
The nostalgic charm and the simplicity of air cooled engines or the technical efficiency of water-cooled? In addition to purely technical conditions, it is very important to me, which plans to offer a product for you. Is the narrowest line six-cylinder with air cooling is not build. And like the engine of the K 1600 or the very compact four-cylinder water-cooled RR me very well. A boxer engine should never have the appearance of an industrial engine.
"
-September 2011

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"
hillbillypolack is offline   Reply With Quote