User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2015, 07:22 PM   #1
MacMcMacmac OP
Idiots Avant!

Oddometer: 198
XV or VX

Contemplating selling my mint 1200 Bandit for something completely different. I blame my old XS650, but I seem to be getting an appreciation for twins. Locally, there are currently an XV920RH and a VX800 for sale. Now I know they aren't exactly Superduke league sporting twins, but they are different enough to pique my interest, and may allow me to get a vintage insurance policy for the amount of miles I put on in a summer. I know about the legendary XV starter problems, and it doesn't scare me. I know the VX motor top end is a bitch to work on, and it doesn't scare me. More of a Suzuki guy, but the XV always appealed to me. I'm guessing the performance crown goes to the VX here, but if performance was utmost in mind I'd be keeping the Bandit anyway. I just don't do enough highway miles to justify the Bandit, and it's way to easy to be doing double the limit in town without even realizing it. VX supposedly has excellent midrange, but the XV leaves open the possibility of shoehorning an 1100 motor in there, which should nullify that consideration anyway. Pricewise there is only $600 difference between the two. Both look well kept. 60k on the VX, 28k on the XV, but with 5 digit odometer, who knows? There's a video on that tube place showing a VX with SV 650 aftermarket pipes and it sounds the bizness. The only thing that would worry me would be a rusty gas tank on either, especially the XV.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:43 AM   #2
choppahead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
I put about 50K miles on an XV920 in the early 80's. A lot of them 2up with the wife on the back. It was a good, fun motorcycle. Never did care for the look but it was generally reliable. I did have the starter issue.

Seen some cool cafe and scrambler versions on the 'net. I guess parts are easily obtainable and some from Viragos will fit??
choppahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:18 PM   #3
Omarius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Is this a serious question?

Omarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:21 PM   #4
MacMcMacmac OP
Idiots Avant!

Well, if Yamaha had gifted us with that it would be no contest, but I can only imagine the number of swear words between any XV920 I bought and that final result. Anyway, I'd chop up a 920 Virago, because frankly, you couldn't make it much uglier, but an XV would be left unmolested, at least once the 1100 motor was in. They must wonder why the MT-01 was such a flop when so many of these keep turning up. I guess a lack of stylistic restraint was the MT's downfall.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:54 PM   #5
ctfz1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,303
Xv920r

I am in the process of returning a 40,000 mile 81 XV920RH to use after at least 7 years parked.
Going well it most reminds me of the 77 R75/7 I had, without, of course the shaft. with Progressive Suspension springs.
Read the articles on viragotech.com, and go thru TR1.de website (German site for European equivalent USA XV920R, 1000[980CC]).
An Aprillia forum member did an extensive and amazing XV920R build.
Was posted here and fz1oa.com forums, among others. He used XV1100 cylinders and crank in modified XV920R cases to get 95 HP engine.

If you are starting with a fully functional running and sorted bike it is good at what it does. Carbs need changes to run well, hopefully done on yor prospective bike.
Mine needed a starter (solder melted internally). not sure why yet.
hopefully held too long trying to start with crud choked carbs. Found a 4 brush Arrowhead starter $112, seems excellent. Starter mechanism looks fine, which was a worry.
One cylinder won't idle without choke on, hopefully last problem.

Saddles were rated poor, and OEM springs soft. so far most minor bits are available aftermarket if needed.

A pretty low mileage one in Illinois went for $2500 on ebay, a guy in Maine is asking $3,500 or will part out. One went for $1600 in Texas.

One of my buddies had a Suzuki VX800, bought it used after riding one on an Edelweis tour in Europe. Also a good bike.

ctfz1 screwed with this post 05-13-2015 at 10:11 PM
ctfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:22 PM   #6
MCGMB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
The Yamaha seems so much more funky-cool.

It's not even close.

MCGMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 03:54 PM   #7
Keyf
5 o'clock World

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMcMacmac View Post
Contemplating selling my mint 1200 Bandit for something completely different. I blame my old XS650, but I seem to be getting an appreciation for twins. Locally, there are currently an XV920RH and a VX800 for sale. Now I know they aren't exactly Superduke league sporting twins, but they are different enough to pique my interest, and may allow me to get a vintage insurance policy for the amount of miles I put on in a summer. I know about the legendary XV starter problems, and it doesn't scare me. I know the VX motor top end is a bitch to work on, and it doesn't scare me. More of a Suzuki guy, but the XV always appealed to me. I'm guessing the performance crown goes to the VX here, but if performance was utmost in mind I'd be keeping the Bandit anyway. I just don't do enough highway miles to justify the Bandit, and it's way to easy to be doing double the limit in town without even realizing it. VX supposedly has excellent midrange, but the XV leaves open the possibility of shoehorning an 1100 motor in there, which should nullify that consideration anyway. Pricewise there is only $600 difference between the two. Both look well kept. 60k on the VX, 28k on the XV, but with 5 digit odometer, who knows? There's a video on that tube place showing a VX with SV 650 aftermarket pipes and it sounds the bizness. The only thing that would worry me would be a rusty gas tank on either, especially the XV.
Mac,

I put about 100,000 miles on a VX and it does indeed have an excellent midrange. But, I do not believe that an 1100 engine will fit in the frame. Building more power into the VX will bring you up close and personal with the conrods. But, w/o all of that, the VX shines around town.

Keyf
Old 05-14-2015, 05:24 PM   #8
MacMcMacmac OP
Idiots Avant!

Yup. I was referring to the Yamaha, but I did see a guy build up a VX to 945cc or something. Apparently it didn't work out too well.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:06 PM   #9
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,526
Quote:
Well, if Yamaha had gifted us with that it would be no contest, but I can only imagine the number of swear words between any XV920 I bought and that final result.
Thanks for the laugh.

It's too bad Suzuki didn't build a VX1400 using their Intruder 1400 engine.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:05 PM   #10
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucifer View Post
Thanks for the laugh.

It's too bad Suzuki didn't build a VX1400 using their Intruder 1400 engine.
Wow! A VX1400 would be SWEET!

I had a VX800 for a couple of years. I loved riding it, but not looking at it. Those valves were impossible for my short fat fingers to get to. I upgraded the suspension, and that made a good bike much better. It didn't have much top end power, though. It felt like it wanted to grenade above 80MPH.

I vote for the XV920.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:31 PM   #11
lipsee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCGMB View Post

It's not even close.

Notice the chaincase!!! its not something they raved about in the adverts,,but I thing its something that should be on more bikes,,If I remember rightly it was filled with grease...
lipsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:11 PM   #12
MacMcMacmac OP
Idiots Avant!

Also notice the TR-1 had the proper starter on it from the get go while we in North America made do with wishbone drag clips and chicken sacrifices to get the damn things to start.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:21 PM   #13
Volfy
ADV Free

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omarius View Post
Why do people feel the need to hack up perfectly fine looking vintage bikes into Frankensteins?

I started riding in the mid-80s and have a special fondness for 80's Japanese bikes, particularly the power cruisers. It pains me to see them ending up like this.

I too would love a VX1400.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:30 PM   #14
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,855
Quote:
Also notice the TR-1 had the proper starter on it from the get go while we in North America made do with wishbone drag clips and chicken sacrifices to get the damn things to start.
Yep. Yamaha USA's bow to frugality and price points. Dumbasses.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:56 AM   #15
Gordon Bennett
At least I tried

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCGMB View Post

It's not even close.

Ah the TR1 - I had one of those from new. The enclosed chain was great for chain life, but the seal leaked and sprayed the grease over the back tyre. It also had an amusing habit of coughing back through the carbs and spitting it off its inlet stub, so suddenly there was a bang! and you were riding a big single...
Happy days.