User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2014, 09:57 AM   #1
Tanshanomi OP
Your Favorite Uncle

Oddometer: 503
Bikes You Have a Love/Hate Relationship With

I've been following Road Warriors threads like Bikes you didn't like nearly as much as you thought you would, What bike do you want today?, Best looking road bike of all time, and The ugliest PRODUCTION bike ever. It occurs to me that there are bikes I can't even attempt make up my mind about: Ugly or pretty depends on my mood, or the angle I see one from. Performance is magical on one road, but sucks on another. I love riding one day, hate the next.

I am sure that there are others out there who have bikes that they can't bring themselves to fully love or fully dislike, or perhaps love and loathe equally and simultaneously.

The biggest example I can think of (literally) is the KZ1300A.

I test rode a slightly-used one back in the mid '80s. Going into the first low-speed turn onto the road in front of the dealership, I was shocked at how top-heavy and clumsy it was. I was literally alarmed it was just going to continue falling over; it took significant pressure just to keep it at a steady lean angle. It was AWFUL. But I soon got out on the freeway and cranked it up to about 70 MPH, and suddenly my opinion reversed itself. I LOVED it. Suddenly, I wanted to just ride and ride until I ran out of road.

I didn't ride one again for 20 years, but it remained on my mental list of favorite bikes. I would look at pictures and dream. I came to love the square-as-a-brick styling. Then, I was so excited when I got another chance, AND—
...it was truly a big, heavy pig of a bike. It was still smooth and this one had a six-into-one that sounded fantastic, but the power was nothing remarkable, the suspension was crude, the seat was much less comfortable than I remembered, and it steered like a truck with worn tie rods. I could not see myself wanting to travel any distance on it.

Every time I see a naked KZ1300 my heart leaps, "I LOVE it!" Then my head kicks in and I think, "It's a pointlessly fat, outdated turd you can't get parts for." The truth of the matter is that I have probably ridden one less than 10 miles total. I would love to own one some day just to resolve the question once an for all. NO, wait, I really don't.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:07 AM   #2
RCmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Ninja EX500 - loved the looks, nice and small, hated the engine - not lack of HP, just way too buzzy for me, bike vibrated like it was having a seizure
RCmoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:19 AM   #3
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,168
My Speed Triple without question. It's ugly, its beautiful. Its too loud, its not loud enough. Its comfortable at first then after an hour you haev to peel your balls off the tank. The most exciting street bike I Have ever owned for sure.
Take it to the track have an amazing day then it wont start. It decides to start for no reason and then runs perfectly..... it's kind of like my high school crush, this bike. Teasing me, taunting me.

Guess it's a Triumph?

but just look at it....

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:20 AM   #4
Qsmkiv
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Bikes are like women, I have had a love/hate relationship with all of them.
Qsmkiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:28 AM   #5
RCmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsmkiv View Post
Bikes are like women, I have had a love/hate relationship with all of them.
great quote!
RCmoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:59 AM   #6
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 4,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCmoto View Post
Ninja EX500 - loved the looks, nice and small, hated the engine - not lack of HP, just way too buzzy for me, bike vibrated like it was having a seizure
My favorite bike of all time! I bet your carbs weren't synced. Mine was pretty smooth.
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:04 AM   #7
wavygravy87
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Yamaha FZ6.

Weak as a popcorn fart, but fast if you ever get room to rev the damn thing. Completely gutless below 8k revs... But above that, and kept there, lookout. But then you are going 100 so you have to let off and then ride like a grown up again. So it's pretty boring most of the time.

I love how good it handles while still being fairly comfortable. But the stock windscreen/fairing makes for a ridiculously loud ride. I either have to take the whole screen off, or run my 20" Madstad and look like the Pope.

My other bike is a DR650 which is way more fun around town and just acting a fool on. The FZ6 not so much. But the FZ6 is great on the highway for travelling (which is why I bought it) and its cheap so I like that about it.

Maintenance is a breeze, and there isnt much to do. But it's got a friggin dipstick. Come on Yamaha.....the '81 KZ550 I'm working on has a sightglass for fucks sake!

Overall, I like the bike. But I'd probably like an FZ1, or a Bandit, or hell anything with more torque than a weedeater for that matter. But the FZ6 is a helluva lot of bike for the money (used prices) so I can't beat it up too much.

2009 Suzuki DR650
2008 Yamaha FZ6
wavygravy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:44 AM   #8
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,138

When I had it the list of problems it had and the anguish it generated was legendary. I wanted to see it burn. I spent over 2 years in court over that bike, and it finally got bought back.

I wish I still had it such a cool bike.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:19 AM   #9
Colorado_Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,064
Any KTM
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:24 AM   #10
ARiderX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post

When I had it the list of problems it had and the anguish it generated was legendary. I wanted to see it burn. I spent over 2 years in court over that bike, and it finally got bought back.

I wish I still had it such a cool bike.
From what I read here, your job was something along those lines, so I guess with your experience it didn't consume too much of your time and energy (another day on the job as it were)

But why would you spend two years fighting a legal battle over a bike (your average customer I mean). I would cut my losses and walk away from it. Sure it would hurt, and I would be pissed off, but two years of litigation would do no wonders for my general peace of mind either...

Too bad the consumer will often be buried in bureaucracy so most don't even try to claim their rights... And manufacturers know it.

However, from what I can tell, social media and the connections we as consumers build up through forums and user groups sure has changed the playing field. Consumers are more vocal and companies don't get away with certain things as easily as they could before, were every consumer was an island on his own, with no real ways of figuring things out.

Lets applaud the internetzzz for this! :)
Old 10-11-2014, 09:02 AM   #11
cls
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,036
All of them, to one degree or another. None are perfect, all are a compromise, and it drives me crazy. But, it keeps me in the game. Love it...and hate it.
cls is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #12
VicRattlehead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
My Speed Triple without question. It's ugly, its beautiful.....

I don't know what you're talking about. I only see pure motorcycle sexiness there!

My Love/Hate bike has to be the Harley Davidson Sportster.
I LOVE the character it posses, I LOVE the look and feel of it, I LOVE the endless cutomization possibilities. I LOVE the way that it just seems to be the pure essence of classic motorcycling distilled down into a concentrated form.
I HATE the gutless engines, I HATE the piss-poor excuse for a suspension they come with, I HATE the weak brakes and non-existent cornering clearance.
I had a Sportster for a while and it was like that until the day I sold it. I loved it/I hated it/I loved it again. In the end, I just couldn't come to terms with how much I would have to invest into it to make it perform up to the potential that I KNEW was there. The Sportster is a truly great bike, all but ruined by bean counters and stylists.
VicRattlehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:03 AM   #13
Tanshanomi OP
Your Favorite Uncle

Oddometer: 503
VicRattlehead, was it a solid mount or rubber mount Sportster? My experience is they feel like two totally different motorcycles. The old ones had real character but vibrated so badly they were hell to ride for any real distance, and stuff fell off regularly. 2004-on are much more practical and usable, but feel more appliance-like. Much less engaging. Also, they keep reducing the ground clearance and suspension travel.
Old 10-11-2014, 01:27 PM   #14
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Intruder 1400:
I loved the style, the grunt, the sound and the handling

I hated the small tank and the clutch fluid return line that ran overtop of that hot running air cooled twin. It was easy to cook the clutch fluid and then the next time you got the bike hot, the clutch would disappear. Also on a hot day I felt like a broiled chicken.

I should have bought a Honda Shadow Spirit 1100; but I was in lust:)

tunblrURL:phipsd.tumblr.com
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 01:53 PM   #15
VicRattlehead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanshanomi View Post
VicRattlehead, was it a solid mount or rubber mount Sportster? My experience is they feel like two totally different motorcycles. The old ones had real character but vibrated so badly they were hell to ride for any real distance, and stuff fell off regularly. 2004-on are much more practical and usable, but feel more appliance-like. Much less engaging. Also, they keep reducing the ground clearance and suspension travel.
I've ridden, and enjoyed, both. The one I owned was a 2004 and I felt like the rubber mounting went a long ways towards making it a good distance riding bike. It still had plenty of 'character' but was very easy to put 10+hrs in the saddle on (with some mods).
My real problem with it was it needed $1000 put into the engine to get a decent amount of umph (say 85whp or so), and another $1000 to replace the rather pitiful suspension and upgrade the brakes (mine sadly wasn't a 'Roadster' with the dual front discs). Add in a few more bucks to sort out the ergonomic issues (seat/bars/pegs) and I just didn't feel like the bike was worth it. I fought with myself for quite a while on that bike because I really did love it (then hate it, then love it again )

Ultimately, I settled back into a Buell (my 4th ) and it's just ticking all the right boxes for me as it has a lot of that Sportster 'character' but none of the drawbacks. Still, I would love to have another Sporty as a second bike. I'd love to find a Sportster 'Sport' (solid mount, standard height suspension, dual discs. reservoir shocks) that someone didn't ruin by lowering it, adding forwards and running drag pipes on it (a RARE find around here!)
VicRattlehead is offline   Reply With Quote