Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road Warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2015, 06:50 PM   #1
87Seph OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
What is a better street option than an GS Adventure?

I had Harleys for a long while (Sportsters, Ultra Classic), then switched to a BMW R1150GSA and actually much preferred the BMW day in and day out. The throttle response, the upright posture, it's just more comfortable for me.

I don't find myself ever going off road though, and figure if I do so then I'd prefer something leaner and meaner regardless. So while on the road, the GSA feels rather wide and top heavy.

This may be a can of worms question, but suggestions for a better road-tripping bike? I'm looking for something that is thoroughly reliable, comfortable for long multi-state trips, has a comfortable upright posture, is nimble, decent luggage options, and is two-person capable. Used options are preferred as I'd be looking to trade the GSA.

Any help is appreciated.
87Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:55 PM   #2
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Seph View Post

Any help is appreciated.
Craigslist is your friend. Test ride them all.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:01 PM   #3
JJaafar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
So you like the posture of an ADV bike, but not looking into going offroad. You have many choices I would think. If you are willing to downgrade power, a V-Strom 650 is a decent 2 up, very comfortable and a decent long range bike... plus luggage options are many, and without luggage can be used for commuting.

As you can see, I'm very much a V-Strom fan hahahaha even though I ride a KTM Duke.

Or further down the scale, a CB500X is much like the above, just with less power and 2 up comfort.

Or my ultimate choice, a KTM SMT... for me an excellent on the pavement bike... tons of power, great handling, long distance comfort... only issue would be luggage options and 2 up comfort... And reliability...

Other left field choices:-
How about a Moto Guzzi Stelvio? Triumph Tiger Explorer? Versys 1000 or 650? V-Strom 1000?

Oh how we are spoilt for choices...

*FYI, I've ridden the SMT, CB500X and the V-Strom 650... If I have the money and thinking of practicality, I'll take the V-Strom. That said, I do enjoy the CB500X too. If I follow my heart - and money no issue - SMT all the way... I believe all of these bikes are more than enough for any adventures on the pavement you (or me) can think of.

I haven't ridden any of the left field choices, but I would think with you currently on a 1150GS, your choice of a replacement would be more of a litre+ machine, hence the additional options..

JJaafar screwed with this post 06-06-2015 at 07:15 PM Reason: Clarification of my jumbled ideas.... And I forgot the SMT exists.. How can I forget my dream bike??
JJaafar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 08:03 PM   #4
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,931
Budget?

The new versys 1000 looks good value.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:54 PM   #5
BSUCardinalfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Why not something like a triumph sprint or concours or something? Or the obvious, a multistrada?
Old 06-06-2015, 10:06 PM   #6
87Seph OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I really appreciate the suggestions guys. Rough budget is about $8k.
87Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 12:11 AM   #7
GvG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
I agree with Jjaafer. You have a lot of choices.

Next to those already mentioned: Tiger 1050, yamaha TDM, honda NC700X or Crossrunner, an aprilia Caponord?
GvG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:05 AM   #8
Rexford
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Been there and still looking.....!

87Seph,

I started on Harleys in the 70's and thought that they were the only motorcycle that should be allowed on the road. In 98 I got on my first BMW (RT)..oh my god... had to learn how to ride all over again, then I discovered GS's and I too fell in love with the comfort and handling of the big GSA. I screwed up and sold my 04 GSA and purchased a 2005 GSA. Worst thing that I have ever done. But to answer your question there are no motorcycles IMHO that are as comfortable and handle as well as the GSA (even the new ones), however, I left BMW due to some quality issues and a piss poor dealership. I would love to be able to go back to riding the big GSA but alas, for that much money you'd think that the quality would be there. Many bikes can be made to suit you comfort wise and many have been listed. You may want to post your size (and your pillions size) so we can list bikes that would be suitable to build on. I am on a FJR1300 as of today and have it sorted out to where I can ride comfortably. From reading several posts and different forums I have come to the conclusion that it, the feejer is very reliable...!

Good luck in your search and for those of us that are still looking for the same bike that you are, please keep us posted.

Rexford

'14 Yamaha FJR1300A
Many others gone but not forgotten
Harleys, Beemers, Ktms, Yamahas and a couple of Hondas....Miss you guys.
Rexford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:16 AM   #9
JJaafar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by GvG View Post
I agree with Jjaafer. You have a lot of choices.

Next to those already mentioned: Tiger 1050, yamaha TDM, honda NC700X or Crossrunner, an aprilia Caponord?
Oooohhhh.... A Caponord! Yes please!

To the OP, keep us posted with ur choice please. Oh and for about 8k usd, i believe the v-strom 650 and the versys 650 is in budget.... Also, keep an open mind and try out the cb500x, you might be surprised on how much a fun bike it is.
JJaafar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:42 AM   #10
2WhldZEN
If it don't go-chrome it!

Oddometer: 65
If you really like the boxer engine...why not an R or RT. Nice windshield and luggage options for the R and it was my initial intended purchase. My passenger pushed for the RT and I'm not disappointed.

I won't dispute the top heavy feel especially two up during some low speed activity. That said, the other characteristics of the bike, for me, make up for that issue. Most upright seating bike I've ever had and I'm also coming off years of riding H-D.

Also considered V-Strom or FJR and others with similar criteria for luggage and two up.
Good luck in the decision, it usually takes me weeks after getting a new bike to stop the "wonder if the other..." thoughts from going through my head, miles are the cure...
2WhldZEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:30 AM   #11
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
motoguzzi Norge - reliable air cooled shaft drive v twin, more touring than sport, good weather protection and luggage included

my wife picked up a used one with low miles for under 8k, its a little heavy pushing around the garage, but she's 5'5 and about 105 pounds (with gear) and she handles it great on the road

a little under the radar, but way under-appreciated in my opinion
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:46 AM   #12
GeneralGarden
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
If you are a smaller guy the FZ1 / Fazer is also a very nice bike. Powerful engine, but most of the 150 bhp is at the top end, so it doesn't overwhelm you. I test rode a new one a few weeks ago and if I were 2 or 3 inches shorter that would be my next bike. But the wide tank makes for a uncomfortable seating position at 6'3". The bike has been produced without much change for almost a decade now, so it is proven and you should be able to pick one up used way below your budget. The Fazer has some fairing and a better pillon seat. If it's enough for your passenger to be comfortable really depends on your passenger.
GeneralGarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:48 AM   #13
Ray R
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
+1 for the RT or a Norge.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:20 AM   #14
BigIron
Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post
Budget?

The new versys 1000 looks good value.
And it's a hoot to ride. I'm thinking multi-day trips will be no problem.
BigIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:54 AM   #15
Shoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
I went from a GS to a RT and like the RT much better!
Find one to test ride if you can.
Shoe is offline   Reply With Quote