Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2011, 09:55 PM   #61
Dalmatino OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
By the way, what is your opinion regarding the USD forks?

I actually went with the SV1000 over the 650 because I didn't want to end up doing a front end swap... But I didn't research enough to find out that the forks on the 05+ are not rebuildable , so if I want to improve them I'm looking at $1000+ cartridges, almost twice the money for a front end swap, including revalving and new springs.

Oddly enough I like the stock suspension...

But I'm aware that once the valves in the cartridges wear out I'll be SOL, I'll have to pony up for new OEM cartridges or aftermarket cartridges. That's why I'm already looking into it now that the preferred donor bikes are in good condition and still favored by the squid community.
I'll sell you complete inverted reworked front forks with absolutely everything from the wheel up for a $1000. This includes ss braded lines, new ebc rotors (one track day on them and ebc pads) 6 pot calipers...$800 right there and another $400 in the forks. Still on the bike.

Heres a clip of the bike...Everything will simply just bolt up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B0Xf...layer_embedded
Dalmatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:25 PM   #62
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,615
Quote:
I actually went with the SV1000 over the 650 because I didn't want to end up doing a front end swap... But I didn't research enough to find out that the forks on the 05+ are not rebuildable , so if I want to improve them I'm looking at $1000+ cartridges, almost twice the money for a front end swap, including revalving and new springs.
Oddly enough I like the stock suspension...
But I'm aware that once the valves in the cartridges wear out I'll be SOL, I'll have to pony up for new OEM cartridges or aftermarket cartridges. That's why I'm already looking into it now that the preferred donor bikes are in good condition and still favored by the squid community.
I have the stock forks off my '03, which are rebuildable and in very good condition, removed at about 10k. PM me if you are interested.

SVN/XRR/XC-W
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:55 PM   #63
gtbensley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Just bought an 04 sv1000 trackbike that I am going to convert back to street. Still has all the wiring and controls for everything, just need to buy lights. I plan to make it into a street fighter. It has a gsxr front swap on it although I need to get a wheel and breaks to complete that part of it. Needless to say I am pretty excited about it and will need to get some pictures posted in here before to long.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:13 PM   #64
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,214
ok ok.... ill bite....

got mine last year just after getting married

the wife and I out on a sunday

four day camping trip to Big Sur....

still not totally sure wether or not I want to keep it for long term.... its a fun bike but Im convinced im still too tall for it

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:58 PM   #65
mmitchell57
Vulcan Halfbreed

Oddometer: 2,193
Quote:
To be honest, i'm not very techincal when it comes to things like this. I did the swap becuase of the adjustability and increased braking ability. I felt the bike handled better with the switch out and it matched what I wanted. However, in my swap out I upgraded the brake rotors(Gaflers), brake lines(ss), handles bars(lsl superbike bars), and clutch cables(ss). That will most likely give me a different impression then if I had not.

Over all, it was worth every dollar I put into it, to me. If you check out SVPortal you will find a lot of information and tons of people that did a similar swap.

1969 CB350 - Restoration Project
1962 Ford Fairlane 500 - Restoration / DD project
mmitchell57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:11 PM   #66
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
still not totally sure wether or not I want to keep it for long term.... its a fun bike but Im convinced im still too tall for it
Too tall for it? The SV1000 is a big bike compared to modern bikes, when I ride the SV and the CBR the same day the CBR feels like a monocycle. IIRC not even the Hayabusa/ZX-14 offer much more space in terms of rider accomodation. Maybe it's just the rearsets that are too high?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmitchell57 View Post
To be honest, i'm not very techincal when it comes to things like this. I did the swap becuase of the adjustability and increased braking ability. I felt the bike handled better with the switch out and it matched what I wanted. However, in my swap out I upgraded the brake rotors(Gaflers), brake lines(ss), handles bars(lsl superbike bars), and clutch cables(ss). That will most likely give me a different impression then if I had not.

Over all, it was worth every dollar I put into it, to me. If you check out SVPortal you will find a lot of information and tons of people that did a similar swap.
Already in the Portal, same SN. What I got from the Portal is that the brakes are not much of an improvement, and that the forks aren't either if you compare them to properly valved/sprung OEM forks. But it's not like if revalving/springs was an option for us, with the newer non-rebuildable forks.
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:41 PM   #67
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Too tall for it? The SV1000 is a big bike compared to modern bikes, when I ride the SV and the CBR the same day the CBR feels like a monocycle. IIRC not even the Hayabusa/ZX-14 offer much more space in terms of rider accomodation. Maybe it's just the rearsets that are too high?
thats the thing - being 6'3 I just dont think I was cut out for sportbikes! Plus this thing is trouble.... I should trade it for a 650L and some cash
Quote:
Old 02-22-2011, 11:43 AM   #68
ganze
apocalyptic defender

Oddometer: 486
[QUOTE=eatpasta;15244313]ok ok.... ill bite....

love the sound. I have the rs-3's without the db-killer and it is just the right amount of boom, ring and roar.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:55 PM   #69
jfurf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
[QUOTE=ganze;15252260]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
ok ok.... ill bite....

C'mon man. That's the turn where you're supposed to target fixate, head straight for the cliff and do a hilarious backflip/somersault off the guardrail.
jfurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:39 PM   #70
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganze View Post

love the sound. I have the rs-3's without the db-killer and it is just the right amount of boom, ring and roar.

the only thing I dont like it that the carbon sounds a little flat, I guess. I love the look but would like a little more ring to it.... but cant complain...

[QUOTE=jfurf;15252846]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganze View Post

C'mon man. That's the turn where you're supposed to target fixate, head straight for the cliff and do a hilarious backflip/somersault off the guardrail.
most everyone else does it seems like....

type "mulholland crash" into youtube and watch the fun
Quote:
Old 02-22-2011, 03:39 PM   #71
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtbensley View Post
Just bought an 04 sv1000 trackbike that I am going to convert back to street. Still has all the wiring and controls for everything, just need to buy lights. I plan to make it into a street fighter. It has a gsxr front swap on it although I need to get a wheel and breaks to complete that part of it. Needless to say I am pretty excited about it and will need to get some pictures posted in here before to long.
FYI The stock SV front wheel fits the GSXR forks just fine and the rotors will work too, you may just need 5mm spacers for the calipers, depending on which forks? I have '05 600 forks with the stock front wheel and rotors, just needed the 5mm caliper spacers, as the 600 had 300mm rotors instead of 310.

I am 6'6" and the SV fits me just fine!!

SVN/XRR/XC-W
Old 02-22-2011, 09:48 PM   #72
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
FYI The stock SV front wheel fits the GSXR forks just fine and the rotors will work too, you may just need 5mm spacers for the calipers, depending on which forks? I have '05 600 forks with the stock front wheel and rotors, just needed the 5mm caliper spacers, as the 600 had 300mm rotors instead of 310.

IIRC if you use GSX-R 750 forks/calipers you don't need spacers.
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:26 AM   #73
gtbensley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post

I just snagged a great deal on a sv1000 rim with one bent rotor and also got some 04-05 gsxr rotors for dirt cheap to go with the calipers I also got nice and cheap. Cant wait to start piecing it back together. I am going broke in the process though.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:25 PM   #74
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
IIRC if you use GSX-R 750 forks/calipers you don't need spacers.
600s and 750s are the same, it depends on the year. '04/'05 have 300mm discs and '06/'07 have 310mm same as SV. Here is a chart with some good info:

SVN/XRR/XC-W
Old 02-23-2011, 02:01 PM   #75
ganze
apocalyptic defender

Oddometer: 486
the only thing I dont like it that the carbon sounds a little flat, I guess. I love the look but would like a little more ring to it.... but cant complain...

[QUOTE=jfurf;15252846]

I agree, about the ring vs the more muffed sound of carbon. I had a guy on an rc51 with ti-cans blow by me like I was standing still once and I was instantly jealous on many levels, but one of them was the tone of those ti-thru cans on a big vtwin.

If I had it to do again, I would consider polished ti, but in the end the black carbons just look so good on my bike and sound awesome in a 9 out of 10 way. The 10th 10th is that ring.