Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2014, 02:06 PM   #1
Iranian OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
it looks like that...

Hi,

I am getting closer to be able to realize one of my long time dream. I have for a long time wanted to buy a bike and convert it to foot clutch and handshift. My financial situation is improving and I think I can purchase a bike next summer.

I have more or less decided that I want to buy a dragstar 1100/vstar 1100 classic.

The handshift should look like the black harley in this webpage.

http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=h...d=0CKgBEK0DMCo

the clutch should be as the one in this link.

http://www.classicmotorcyclerental.c...s/WLALeft2.JPG

Is there anybody who can estimate how many hours a mechanic has to put in to be able to get this setup to work?

Regards,

Iranian
Iranian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 03:11 PM   #2
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 34,115
The clutch is going to be tough if you want the same setup. It will stay disengaged without any foot pressure. You engage it manually. I'm sure a mousetrap could be adapted but it's not going to be cheap. My rough estimate for time and materials, at least $2000 at $100 hr. $3000 wouldn't surprise me.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 03:33 PM   #3
Iranian OP
Studly Adventurer

Oooh...I thought I could buy the foot clutch and the handshift from Harley and the try to adapt it to the vstar 1100 classic.

I think I a have seen add for 300-400 euro but I might be wrong.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:30 PM   #4
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 34,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iranian View Post
Oooh...I thought I could buy the foot clutch and the handshift from Harley and the try to adapt it to the vstar 1100 classic.

I think I a have seen add for 300-400 euro but I might be wrong.
Look up the Harley mousetrap clutch. That's the one with the rocker type pedal you linked. My estimate includes those parts. The expensive portion is the time spent adapting them to the Kawasaki.

Otherwise, you could have a "suicide" clutch setup. That one requires that you keep it depressed if you want it to be disengaged. It's called a suicide clutch because if you are stopped and in gear, you have only one foot on the ground. If something happens to your balance and your foot slips off the clutch, you're probably going to fall down aggressively.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:24 PM   #5
Iranian OP
Studly Adventurer

oki. I have to look into it. The vstar is though a yamaha.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:57 PM   #6
LKLD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Had one on my '56 Panhead,we called it a "jockey shift". Took a little time to get used to, but nothing difficult. Engage and disengage stay put, so you can take your foot off. Like mentioned, the suicide clutch requires pressure at all times for disengagement. They'll just have a toe pedal.

Best of luck with a conversion on a modern bike, probably nothing money couldn't get you.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:27 AM   #7
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,760

My buddy Bob built this 1600 RoadStar bobber. He used the shift lever to pull the clutch cable, suicide style. Then he used a simple rod topped with a snooker ball for a shifter.
He rode this bike a lot. He told me he had put over 30,000 miles on it and that was a couple of years before he passed.
Bob sqeezed his dollars pretty good. He probably had no more than $100 in the shifter conversion.

That's a sack of tomatoes on top of the headlight. One of the things he didn't get around to was getting a single tapered saddlebag for the left side.

Another shot from our ride to the Bourbon Festival in Bardstown.

Ride on Bob.

bk brkr baker screwed with this post 12-15-2014 at 06:45 AM
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:38 AM   #8
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,749
Just wondering, what is the attraction of a foot clutch and hand shift on a motorcycle? I kind of value thebuse of both feet when coming to a stop. I rode an old Kawasaki W2SS (copy of a BSA pre-unit twin 650), where my best friend extended the forks 12". did not rake the fork crown, AND then removed the front brakes and put on a spool hub. So, when you came to a stop, if you wanted brakes on, you had to hold the bike up with your left foot. That means, you either had to leave it in gear (and shift into 1st before the stop), or, practice a VERY quick no foot down balance, as you stomped it into 1st. Other than that aspect, the old single carb W2SS was a real torque monster.

Despite what the rider trainors teach, I do not ever leave my bikes in gear when I stop. Hard on the clutch. It's worked for me for over 52 years of riding.
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:30 PM   #9
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,760
For one thing, theft deterent.
Bob's brother wanted to ride his bobber. He made it to thge end of the block and threw in the towel.
I'm strickly a hand clutch foot shift guy.
I don't understand the attraction either.
And front brakes ? They're for living.
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:43 AM   #10
Iranian OP
Studly Adventurer

I am trying to find a kit for the setup I am interested in. Zodiac in Holland used to have it but I can't find. I visited today my mechanic and we are right now looking into how to proceed with this project. I will appriciate if anybody can help me finding a foot clutch and shift kit.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:47 PM   #11
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,824
You'll be more efficient in time and money to just go ahead and fabricate the parts you need. If you look at the old Indian and Harley foot clutch parts, they're quite rudimentary. But you need the proper amount of leverage and cm of travel for the Yamaha clutch.

Any kind of "kit" you get will just be a bunch of parts that won't work and your fabricator will have to modify them all, which in my experience is more expensive than just making them.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:42 PM   #12
Iranian OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for the advice Kraven, I will forward it to my mechanic.