Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2015, 02:00 AM   #1
vteec OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Triumph Street Triple or Bonneville? Help me choose to join my 2014 R1200RT

Hi
I am very undecided on which bike should be joining my 2014 BMW R1200RT.
the RT is used everyday and I just love her -what a fantastic motorcycle!

I want something to join which is smaller, fun and nimbler.

i have been wanting a retro style of bike for quite some time and the Harley 883 and Bonneville caught my eye.
as soon as i sat on the Bonneville, i really liked how the bike feels.

now a friend has a mint very low kms 2011 street triple (round headlamps, non R version) who is willing to sell at a very good price.

i like the street triple styling a lot, particularly the round headlights

i am not a fast rider, and i would like to use these other bike to commute on in a mix of city traffic and bumpy B roads.

which would be the best for me?
which is better to carry a pillion, strap a bag and the best to cruise on bumpy roads?
which has the better fuelling, as in smooth throttle response?

thank you
vteec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:40 AM   #2
Jake Mountain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
I'd choose the street triple
Old 06-11-2015, 07:10 AM   #3
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 5,002
I've enjoyed 35,000 miles on my Bonneville, currently in a small stable with a Super Tenere...

I'd also take the Street Triple...

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:15 AM   #4
Superzoom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
I would add a V7 into the discussion. You've got a big, powerful, refined bike now. The V7 is opposite in a lot of ways, which would probably be a good thing if you are looking for a complimentary, fun experience.
Superzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:49 AM   #5
vteec OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thank you for the replies.

Why would you go for the street triple please?
I love the looks and the sound of the engine but what other advantages over the other bikes I mentioned?
Is it a smooth bike to cruise on and commute please?

Hi super zoom,
The v7 caught my eye but I had a ducati and I am not convinced with the built quality of the Italians. Is the v7 well built?

Thank you
Old 06-11-2015, 09:51 AM   #6
ctromley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
The Street Triple is overall the most fun you can have on a street bike, but that implies a rather active approach to riding. The Bonnie might be a better choice, particularly for two-up or bumpy road riding.

Forget the V7. My Ninja 250 is a more capable bike.
ctromley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:03 AM   #7
Superzoom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by vteec View Post
Thank you for the replies.

Why would you go for the street triple please?
I love the looks and the sound of the engine but what other advantages over the other bikes I mentioned?
Is it a smooth bike to cruise on and commute please?

Hi super zoom,
The v7 caught my eye but I had a ducati and I am not convinced with the built quality of the Italians. Is the v7 well built?

Thank you
I almost bought a Street Triple, then realized it doesn't match my personality. Your bike should match your personality, or perhaps be a fun alter-ego. It seems a lot of people buy bikes based on outright performance, which is only part of the equation. I am having a lot of fun on my 66 hp bike.

I have no idea about the V7 reliability. The bike definitely appeals to me based on its fantastic looks and character. It's also light as all get-out.
Superzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:04 AM   #8
Tim_Tom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 681
Why not a bike that combines the classic good looks of the Bonneville with the sporty, nimble, fun of the Street Triple?

I am of course talking about the Ducati Scrambler.

It's a seriously FUN motorcycle. First and foremost. While the passenger seat may not be as good as the Bonnevilles (slightly smaller) it is miles better than the Street Triple. I would rate the Duc's suspension and ride quality slightly behind the Street Triple but much better than the Bonneville. The Scrambler would be an awesome bike to strap a bag to and go ride places. Very capable and an excellent all rounder. Very nimble and with more suspension travel, the Scrambler is a great city bike.

Not to mention the Ducati is a whopping 100 lbs lighter than the Bonneville! That is huge.

I don't think you have anything to worry about with the build quality. The engine has been around for years and is very well sorted. My friend has a Street Triple and his turn signals fell off all by themselves within a week. Twice. I'd say the Ducati build quality is better than the triumphs...

You would do yourself a disservice by not considering this bike. FYI I was in between the Bonneville, Street Triple, and Scrambler for my next bike. I chose the Ducati because I felt it addressed all my needs and wants the best. In 3 weeks of ownership I've already ridden the thing close to 1200 miles. Clearly I like it a lot.
Tim_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:59 AM   #9
JeffPM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
The Street Triple is fun, light and nimble. The ergos may not suit your liking as it is more sport oriented. Around town I find the suspension to be a little too firm, too sport oriented. The non-R version may be a little more compliant in this department. The motor is best under acceleration and above 6k rpm. You may find this too buzzy for your liking. The Bonnie is more layed back, but the suspension will need to be upgraded. It is a heavier bike, but much more relaxed in its feel. The Street Triple will always be whispering, "lets go faster!" The Street Triple won't be very good for two-up.

Take a test drive on both. They are both reliable bikes you'll enjoy whichever one you decide on.

'09 Suzuki DL650 WeeStrom
'09 Triumph Street Triple R

JeffPM screwed with this post 06-11-2015 at 12:01 PM Reason: Fixed grammatical errors.
JeffPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:03 PM   #10
Gootch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 946
The Bonnie is bullet-proof. People can't wear them out. I've been hammering a Thruxton for 35,000 miles of sport riding, dirt-road riding, touring, commuting, what have you and that engine just seems to get better and better. The bike is also well balanced and hides its weight.

The other thing is - in my "unbiased" opinion - the Bonnie line is what motorcycles are supposed to look like.

(On the other hand I have come close a time or two to getting a Street Triple because it is such a good bike and is a better tool for some of the riding I do.)
Gootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:09 PM   #11
2T2_Ryder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Hi
I am very undecided on which bike should be joining my 2014 BMW R1200RT.
the RT is used everyday and I just love her -what a fantastic motorcycle!

I want something to join which is smaller, fun and nimbler.

i have been wanting a retro style of bike for quite some time and the Harley 883 and Bonneville caught my eye.
as soon as i sat on the Bonneville, i really liked how the bike feels.

now a friend has a mint very low kms 2011 street triple (round headlamps, non R version) who is willing to sell at a very good price.

i like the street triple styling a lot, particularly the round headlights

i am not a fast rider, and i would like to use these other bike to commute on in a mix of city traffic and bumpy B roads.

which would be the best for me?
which is better to carry a pillion, strap a bag and the best to cruise on bumpy roads?
which has the better fuelling, as in smooth throttle response?

thank you
I have a Triumph Scrambler and Speed Triple so somewhat similar and I've ridden the Bonnie and Street Triple. Both great bikes but apples to oranges. I ride my scrambler most often as it is a nice relaxing ride that is great on back roads and will explore fire roads no problem though it is no dirt bike. Scrambler/Bonnie are better for pillion accommodations as there are a ton of seat options available and with the aftermarket support the sky (and wallet) is the limit. There are more convenient luggage options available for the Bonnie as well. Don't get me wrong, I love the speed/street triples but with the riding you described I think a Bonnie/scrambler may be the way to go in your case. No matter the choice I think you'll be pleased, good luck with your decision!
2T2_Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:38 PM   #12
Shep
Vagabond

Oddometer: 519
I've got a Street Triple and a Triumph Scrambler...and I've owned a few RTs as well. I've owned the Triple for 5 years, longer than any bike I ever had. I would replace it tomorrow with another one. If I am forced to sell off all but one of my bikes, the Triple will remain. I find it very comfortable and I love the motor. I've done plenty of long days on it. With that said, your description of yourself and what you are looking for lead me to believe you might prefer the Bonnie. Make no mistake though, the Scrambler (very similar to the Bonnie) is no lightweight; its the heaviest bike in my garage. But it is great fun to cruise around on and I've actually logged some pretty long days on it as well.

The worst thing that might happen if you bought the Street Triple is that you would decide your RT was a big, fat pig! Just kidding, but that is exactly what happened to me. But then again, I recently picked up a 690 Duke and it makes my Street Triple feel like a bloated barge!

Shep
Old 06-11-2015, 12:47 PM   #13
vteec OP
Gnarly Adventurer

i am more inclined towards the bonneville or scrambler, especially like you are saying, it will suit more my riding style.
2T2_Ryder, ow do you compare the bonneville to the scrambler?
does the firing order difference make a big difference in the feel of the motorcycle?
does the exhaust of the scrambler's exhaust get uncomfortable during city riding please?

thank you.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:17 PM   #14
2T2_Ryder
Adventurer

Quote:
i am more inclined towards the bonneville or scrambler, especially like you are saying, it will suit more my riding style.
2T2_Ryder, ow do you compare the bonneville to the scrambler?
does the firing order difference make a big difference in the feel of the motorcycle?
does the exhaust of the scrambler's exhaust get uncomfortable during city riding please?

thank you.
As similar as the Bonnie/scram look, they are quite different feeling to ride. I prefer the 270 motor in the scram...more torque down low, more controllable off road and with a good exhaust it sounds amazing. The Bonnie's 360 motor has more top end power and revs out a little more. Both motors are smooth but the Bonnie engine is like butter. Can't even tell it's running with stock pipes. The pipes on the scram can be a little uncomfortable in stop and go traffic with high outside temps. Not dangerous burn level but noticeable heat...no issues while moving or in cool temps. The pipes do stick out a bit which is kind of annoying as you can't grip the tank with your knee on the right side. I've considered low pipes on my scram for more comfort and luggage options but it ruins the look IMO. The arrow high pipe tucks in closer so is more comfortable and looks/sounds cool. Also if you get rid of the AI and load a proper tune it lowers exhaust temps. These bikes are addicting and with the strong after market there is no end to what you can do. I'd recommend you demo both...they have pros and cons, both great bikes but some prefer one over the other due to the aforementioned details. Feel free to ask any other questions!
Old 06-11-2015, 02:31 PM   #15
2T2_Ryder
Adventurer

Here's a pic of my scram all loaded up for a 5 day 1500 mile camping trip to help with your decision :)