Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #1861
seantx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroZon View Post
I've seen a few K75 GS conversions. They look great.

This red one uses the stock tank, and I think those are early C forks - really a minimal amount of work. The big changes are the chopped seat, the triangular side plate, the high muffler, and the GS wheels.
C forks?
seantx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:34 AM   #1862
AstroZon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by seantx View Post
C forks?
I meant the forks from a K75C, but I realize now that they're not. Not sure what forks those are.
AstroZon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #1863
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Oddometer: 3,991
They look like something off a mid 90's 2s dirt bike.
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
mjydrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #1864
GARAGE HERMIT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroZon View Post
I meant the forks from a K75C, but I realize now that they're not. Not sure what forks those are.

USD fork's,
GARAGE HERMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #1865
AstroZon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by GARAGE HERMIT View Post
USD fork's,
Thanks Hermit.

And speaking of forks, here's a 1985 K100RS on eBay with a set of Ceriani forks and an Ohlins shock:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=...ht_1771wt_1156

AstroZon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:49 PM   #1866
flick
Man on a mission.

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjydrafter View Post
They look like something off a mid 90's 2s dirt bike.
The triple clamps look to either be custom or off a different bike as well.

"We train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write "fuck" on their airplanes because it's obscene!" Apocalypse Now
flick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #1867
flick
Man on a mission.

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by brick rider View Post
Just as I thought...
Quote:
Front end is a 45mm Marzocchi Shiver and
triples off a GasGas FSE450

"We train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write "fuck" on their airplanes because it's obscene!" Apocalypse Now
flick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:48 AM   #1868
madisonreid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,699
Local bike on CL

Interesting modification to side panels for custom seat....looks comfy.
madisonreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #1869
madisonreid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Old 05-19-2012, 12:41 AM   #1870
GARAGE HERMIT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by madisonreid View Post

is he frightened of getting shot,, ??
GARAGE HERMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:22 AM   #1871
madisonreid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Looks like I got something being delivered today from SpecialK.....stay tuned

Will take pics of crossbar/bag later.Perfect for those tall touring bars. Fit's nicely and doesn't block the view of guage in headlight. Put together the Hepco Becker saddlebag mounting kit just to see how it would mount. WOW.......extremely high quality. Requires moving rear turn signals on to mounting kit. If it was a S or had a Pichler faring I wouldn't hesitate.It would be the near perfect touring machine. I am going to temp up the smaller city bags with OEM mounts. Looks like the H/B kit and hard cases will be up for sale. Pics to follow.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:19 PM   #1872
BLACK VELVET

Oddometer: 21
Summer'r dress

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbQhb...e_gdata_player

BLACK VELVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:19 AM   #1873
madisonreid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK VELVET View Post
Old 05-20-2012, 09:15 AM   #1874
madisonreid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Just another day for Larry Romestant (Customer service)

Well.....Last Tuesday I took my K out for a little spin around the neighborhood and noticed a small unusual clicking sound coming from my bike. Now remember, I haven't spent any time on a K since owning my last one six years ago. The way I remember the sound of a K was that of a hummmm and the smooth and effortless click of the gears....no more, no less. Beautifully Boring . So, I called Larry for guidance, and with his suggestion, I turned the bike on and placed the phone near the sound. This technique of diagnosis usually ends up disasterous with a faulty conclussion. However, without skipping a beat, Larry said, not completely sure, that I should run over to RideWest BMW and pick up a set of "MONKEY NUTS" and I'll see you Saturday. Slightly shocked, I suggested to Larry it wasn't neccessary for him to fly up from L.A. that I could handle it and "WHAT THE HELL ARE MONKEY NUTS"? I'm sure you seasoned K boys know exactly what they are....please forgive me. Larry insisted he must come up and that I should do nothing other that to kindly pick him up at the airport. He said the bike should be perfect and what ever the issue is, he would deal with it.. So I did what I was told and met Larry at the airport yesterday morning. He had with him only a back pack. The pack was filled with replacements parts ranging from a new 50 amp alternator, Clutch plate and assorted clutch goodies, full run of BMW tools, and a few electrical diagnotic meters I assumed were for shits and giggles. No.....totally on a mission. My only concern was I wouldn't have the right tools for him and his effort.....NOPE had everything he needed and frackly didn't realize I had.
So after a short breakfast together Larry dug in and within a minute of having the bike run he knew exactly what it was....MONKEY NUTS to the rescue. While a somewhat easy fix, it was challenging as well. small spaces to get to the problem. Pulling out the perfectly running alternator, he could see as he went in deeper some black shaving indicating failure of the monkey nuts. I think Larry came prepared to rebuld everything. I will say I learned a lot in those few hours and got a chance to see how clean some of the interior elements of the bike were....better than new. Larry took it upon himself to continue detailing and examining every aspect of the bike as he went. He had a chance to check and recalibrate the odometer and speedometer to the digital guage. He had to do a special fabrication because the guage, normally used on Harley's, was not compatible with some of the BMW wiring. He had placed a magnetic sensor in the reardrive housing that all I can say looked OEM. When tested, it ran and read flawlessly. Larry only had to replace the housing unit that held the monkey nuts together
After lunch we decided to take a ride into Seattle and check out Touratech and then RideWest BMW. Touratech was closed . When we arrived at RideWest the questions came. I of course stood back and let Larry field the questions. I went over to the new F800R I was planning to buy rather that the SpecialK two years ago and quickly came to my conclussions.....I made a very good choice . The K will be more satifying to me in the years ahead. It was nice to see so many appreciate this old K and the builder who brought her together. Of course, Larry had no business cards. Next time I suppose.
It was a great day chillin and chatting with Larry. he clearly has great integrity and loves his bikes. It was a over the top effort with a outstanding outcome. This K sounds exactly as I remember from 6 years ago... just a beautiful hummmm as only a K can. Well done Mr. Romestant!

"No Larry you can't buy her back"

MONKEY NUTS

madisonreid screwed with this post 05-21-2012 at 05:47 AM
Old 05-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #1875
seantx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by madisonreid View Post
Your centerstand is cleaner than my toothbrush.
seantx is online now   Reply With Quote