ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #2401
roadstar
Gnarly Adventurer
 
roadstar's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Lancaster PA
Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by madisonreid View Post
That is one sharp bike
__________________
IBA # 47424
2012 Concours (Black)
76 Honda GL1000 (red & naked)
roadstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #2402
roadstar
Gnarly Adventurer
 
roadstar's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Lancaster PA
Oddometer: 362
What year K100RS is it & where is that tank protector from . Any more details on it . (makes me want to unpaint my K1100LT gas tank)
__________________
IBA # 47424
2012 Concours (Black)
76 Honda GL1000 (red & naked)
roadstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #2403
A. T. T-W
Can't be bothered.
 
A. T. T-W's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Centre of my universe
Oddometer: 4,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadstar View Post
& where is that tank protector from .
It's a part of the low seat set-up (the bike is a low seat model).
__________________
Archibald Tarquin Throttle-Whistle Esq.
A. T. T-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:53 PM   #2404
duck
Banned
 
duck's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Seattle (Berkeley with rain)
Oddometer: 10,403


That photoshop has been around for a while. Still funny though.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:54 AM   #2405
Wanderer2012
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Oddometer: 37
K75 Help

Hi all,

Some help and opinions from you K75 Experts if you will...

For sale in our local market, a K75, 1990, RS..?
I have mailed the dealer for more info, history ect, In the mean time i just found this thread via google, so thought i would ask what the experts think of it, is it worth buying, what do i need to check, look for on it...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-596309597.htm

Thanks in advance... Jeremy
Wanderer2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:56 AM   #2406
roadstar
Gnarly Adventurer
 
roadstar's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Lancaster PA
Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. T. T-W View Post
It's a part of the low seat set-up (the bike is a low seat model).
K thanKs
__________________
IBA # 47424
2012 Concours (Black)
76 Honda GL1000 (red & naked)
roadstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:29 AM   #2407
duck
Banned
 
duck's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Seattle (Berkeley with rain)
Oddometer: 10,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadstar View Post
What year K100RS is it?
Most likely 88 or 89.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:12 AM   #2408
A. T. T-W
Can't be bothered.
 
A. T. T-W's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Centre of my universe
Oddometer: 4,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer2012 View Post
Hi all,

Some help and opinions from you K75 Experts if you will...

For sale in our local market, a K75, 1990, RS..?
I have mailed the dealer for more info, history ect, In the mean time i just found this thread via google, so thought i would ask what the experts think of it, is it worth buying, what do i need to check, look for on it...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-596309597.htm

Thanks in advance... Jeremy
Jeremy,

It's a K75S (no factory RS models in the K75 range). The colour is called "Onyx Black Metallic" even though it does sometimes look brown (and why the one I had in the same colour was known as the Turd).



It certainly looks very clean, whether that's an indication of it being similarly mechanically sound is moot. There's a good chance that anyone who has kept it such good order cosmetically has looked after the oily bits too.

It's only an opinion: The K75S is possibly the best of the pre-16 Valve K-Series.

Value is another matter. I know that the prices of K-Series varies hugely across the globe. If you want it badly enough, I guess the price won't matter.
__________________
Archibald Tarquin Throttle-Whistle Esq.
A. T. T-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:24 AM   #2409
Wanderer2012
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. T. T-W View Post
Jeremy,

It's a K75S (no factory RS models in the K75 range). The colour is called "Onyx Black Metallic" even though it does sometimes look brown (and why the one I had in the same colour was known as the Turd).



It certainly looks very clean, whether that's an indication of it being similarly mechanically sound is moot. There's a good chance that anyone who has kept it such good order cosmetically has looked after the oily bits too.

It's only an opinion: The K75S is possibly the best of the pre-16 Valve K-Series.

Value is another matter. I know that the prices of K-Series varies hugely across the globe. If you want it badly enough, I guess the price won't matter.
A.T.T.W...
Was hoping you mite chime in, have been looking at your bikes an posts, saw your restore thread the other day, and various nice works you been doing...
Also fell in love with your K1, the red one in these pages, yummmmmy...

Yes on the subject of pricing, we are known for having to pay way to much in NZ, But thats the price for living in a small country, a long way from mainstream markets, and a $ that is about 55p on a good day...:-(

Your bike in this post looks just like the one Im looking at, and very nice...
Hope to have some answers tomorrow from the dealer, find out its history, how many owners, and some more pictures of it, that will help me decide if i take the 5 hour drive to look it over...

So couple questions re these bikes...
Do they have gear position readout on the dash...

What sort of fuel milage can one expect with conservative riding, we have a 100kph open road speed limit here, thats about 65mph i think, so cruising at around the 70/75mph mark would be the norm...

Im thinking there pretty bullet proof, but is there anything one really needs to look out for...

Cheers Jeremy
Wanderer2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:52 AM   #2410
duck
Banned
 
duck's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Seattle (Berkeley with rain)
Oddometer: 10,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. T. T-W View Post
It's only an opinion: The K75S is possibly the best of the pre-16 Valve K-Series.
Except for:

1) The main fairing bracket being plastic so that the fairing can bounce around on rough surfaces. (And may crack the "covering center" after a while.)

2) Bounciest of the K bike instrument clusters.

3) No leg protection from the elements. Knees can get very cold.

4) Not very good wind protection for taller riders.

5) If you drop one it will land on and break the $90 turn signal. ($90 since you have to buy the whole assembly to get the lens)

IMO: Still the best looking though - especially in Marakesh red.

Edit: And it's still a great bike even when compared to the 4V Ks due to the smoothness of the K75 engine.

duck screwed with this post 05-27-2013 at 08:01 AM
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:55 AM   #2411
A. T. T-W
Can't be bothered.
 
A. T. T-W's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Centre of my universe
Oddometer: 4,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer2012 View Post
So couple questions re these bikes...
Do they have gear position readout on the dash...

What sort of fuel milage can one expect with conservative riding, we have a 100kph open road speed limit here, thats about 65mph i think, so cruising at around the 70/75mph mark would be the norm...

Im thinking there pretty bullet proof, but is there anything one really needs to look out for...

Cheers Jeremy
Yes, they have a digital gear indicator as well as the usual green neutral light.

I reckon you should average about ten miles per litre; about 180 to the fuel warning light (4 litres remaining) and somewhere around 220 miles to a full tank. The warning light should be ignored if you are on anything other than level ground.

The list of possible things to look at is too long to detail really. Given that these bikes are quite old now, many will have suffered one issue or another. Listing them all will sound as though they are money pits.

Probably the thing that might seem a deal breaker is their propensity to smoke if left on the side-stand but it's quite normal and nothing to worry about. The older bikes allow oil to seep past the rings into the combustion chambers when on the side-stand. It's a tiny amount that burns off on start up. Later bikes had modified rings but will still do it in the right circumstances.

The best advice for anyone coming to a K-Series for the first time is that there are a few oddities in the design. Before attempting a fix ask here or any of the other forums around because almost everything has been fixed by someone at some time. On top of that a few things work in a way that you may not think, it will save a lot of time and effort (possibly money too).

All the K-Series "Bricks" are under-rated, mainly because they weren't fashionable when they were current. Many people are now coming to realise that they represent possibly the best range that BMW produced: Simple, easy to maintain, real world performance and pretty good quality ensuring longevity. The engines are easily able to exceed 200K plus miles. Their biggest weakness is the suspension which was just about competent when new. It's easily fixed with alternative fork springs and rear units.

This is a good list of "how to" tips:

http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech.shtml
__________________
Archibald Tarquin Throttle-Whistle Esq.
A. T. T-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #2412
madisonreid OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Oddometer: 1,702
madisonreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #2413
roadstar
Gnarly Adventurer
 
roadstar's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Lancaster PA
Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by brick rider View Post
If you go to the FaceBook group "BMW K75 K100 OWNERS / LOVERS" the owner post's a bit on there.....

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/33247767332/




.
thanks & joined
__________________
IBA # 47424
2012 Concours (Black)
76 Honda GL1000 (red & naked)
roadstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:15 AM   #2414
Wanderer2012
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. T. T-W View Post
Yes, they have a digital gear indicator as well as the usual green neutral light.

I reckon you should average about ten miles per litre; about 180 to the fuel warning light (4 litres remaining) and somewhere around 220 miles to a full tank. The warning light should be ignored if you are on anything other than level ground.

The list of possible things to look at is too long to detail really. Given that these bikes are quite old now, many will have suffered one issue or another. Listing them all will sound as though they are money pits.

Probably the thing that might seem a deal breaker is their propensity to smoke if left on the side-stand but it's quite normal and nothing to worry about. The older bikes allow oil to seep past the rings into the combustion chambers when on the side-stand. It's a tiny amount that burns off on start up. Later bikes had modified rings but will still do it in the right circumstances.

The best advice for anyone coming to a K-Series for the first time is that there are a few oddities in the design. Before attempting a fix ask here or any of the other forums around because almost everything has been fixed by someone at some time. On top of that a few things work in a way that you may not think, it will save a lot of time and effort (possibly money too).

All the K-Series "Bricks" are under-rated, mainly because they weren't fashionable when they were current. Many people are now coming to realise that they represent possibly the best range that BMW produced: Simple, easy to maintain, real world performance and pretty good quality ensuring longevity. The engines are easily able to exceed 200K plus miles. Their biggest weakness is the suspension which was just about competent when new. It's easily fixed with alternative fork springs and rear units.

This is a good list of "how to" tips:

http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech.shtml
A.T.T.W...

Thanks for your input.
Had some mail and more pics come through today, and waiting on more re history, but seems it was NZ new, and has a service history...
Now Im wondering what differences there are between this 1990 one, and the later 3 spoke wheel job...
ABS is maybe one thought, but not sure of any others...

I like the idea of 21ltrs fuel tank size, and the range that will offer, the 3 cylinder motors smoothness, although have wondered about a K100 also...

Have a R1100S in my stable, low milage and mint, and i want to keep that as my sunny day sport ride, wanting a K for touring, longer trips, luggage, and maybe some two up riding, besides one bike is lonely in the garage me thinks...

Cheers Jeremy
Wanderer2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:54 AM   #2415
duck
Banned
 
duck's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Seattle (Berkeley with rain)
Oddometer: 10,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer2012 View Post
although have wondered about a K100 also..
If you're also considering a 4 cylinder K then get a K100RS4V or a K1100 instead of a 2V K100:

- 10 more hp
- MUCH better front brakes
- radial tires
- paralever front drive which more or less eliminates the "jacking effect"

For the same or maybe just a few more pesos you get a lot more bike.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014