Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2011, 11:12 AM   #1
BrokenR80RT OP
But I'll fix it.

Oddometer: 157
Carburetor Rebuild - Is it worth sending out?

I guess I am need of advice again. I was removing one of my carburetors and out fell a little broken piece of a metal pin...... Now I'm thinkin' I had better rebuild the carbs. I'll add a picture, but it's about 1-1.5 mm dia x 1/4" length.

I am mechanically inclined by trade, but I am wondering for a first time rebuild if I should risk doing it myself or ship them to someone like Bing.

Did anyone try this for a first time and have a lot of issues or is this a straight forward process?

Also, any reviews on Bing's updated float and bowl...Is it really a 4-7 mpg improvement + improved torque? Responses will be considered data on this one.

Thanks a bunch!
BrokenR80RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
Renner
combustophile

Oddometer: 1,873
DIY and save a bundle. It's not a 2,000 piece jigsaw puzzle.
No need to update the bowls/floats.
OTOH the Bing catalog is handy but not absolutely necessary.

If you have access to a small ultrasonic cleaning tank use it, your carbs will sparkle like new.
In fact use the money saved to buy yourself one if you haven't already.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:32 AM   #3
The Raven
Banned

Oddometer: 4,813
1. Post photo of broken pin thing....you need an ID as hopefully nothing jumped into your engine

2. Not hard to rebuild, just make sure you do one at a time, do it carefully and systematically. Use Tom's r80g/s rebuild thread as a reference, as well as a couple different exploded views. Rebuild kits have everything you need.
EUBMW sells a good kit cheap

3. The independent floats from what I heard are not good. I have not used them

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenR80RT View Post
I guess I am need of advice again. I was removing one of my carburetors and out fell a little broken piece of a metal pin...... Now I'm thinkin' I had better rebuild the carbs. I'll add a picture, but it's about 1-1.5 mm dia x 1/4" length.

I am mechanically inclined by trade, but I am wondering for a first time rebuild if I should risk doing it myself or ship them to someone like Bing.

Did anyone try this for a first time and have a lot of issues or is this a straight forward process?

Also, any reviews on Bing's updated float and bowl...Is it really a 4-7 mpg improvement + improved torque? Responses will be considered data on this one.

Thanks a bunch!
The Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:47 PM   #4
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,286
If the independent floats or updated float and bowl are other names for the alcohol resistant set up, I can tell you I hate mine. I don't ride the Beemer much these days but eventually I will put the carbs back to the way they were (assuming they can handle the ethanol we are using now.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:49 PM   #5
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,481
If you feel like spending a ton of money for rebuilt carbs, send 'em to me.

It's super easy. I've done 4 Bings (and about a million onthers) without any manuals or assistance.. and I lived to tell the tale.

crazydrummerdude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:29 PM   #6
BrokenR80RT OP
But I'll fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
1. Post photo of broken pin thing....you need an ID as hopefully nothing jumped into your engine

On second glance after the wee hours last night, it is thicker than I remembered + now in daylight, it appears it is not a broken piece, but the ends appear to have but cut during processing. BTW this is from the right cylinder which likes to backfire upon throttle off, but I am very unsure of the history of the carburetor adjustments done by the PO.

Thanks.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #7
BrokenR80RT OP
But I'll fix it.

Try again with the photos

Old 02-04-2011, 02:32 PM   #8
BrokenR80RT OP
But I'll fix it.

Gosh dang it

Slide to the right to see the end view.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:39 PM   #9
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer: 3,479
Bing carb rebuilding especially a basic one is pretty easy and sort of a airhead rite of passage. Lots of good info out there so give it a try. A set of metal hooks and probes are pretty handy to pull the orings in place.

www.northwoodsairheads.com
www.jefftrappwindsors.com

"Between two explanations, choose the clearest; between two forms,
the most elementary; between two expressions, the shortest."
Between two motorcycles the simplest (DW)
Eugeni d' Ors (1881-1954); Spanish writer.

jtwind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:51 PM   #10
BrokenR80RT OP
But I'll fix it.

How'd that get in there?

Looking at my Bing diagram, I come up w/ something that's been pretty beat up. Float needle? Needle retainer? Or better yet, wtf!
Old 02-04-2011, 02:54 PM   #11
Slope'r
Turn'n Valves

Oddometer: 492
Thumb

It's fun, It's satisfying & it's cheap!
This is a post of my adventures rebuilding Bing carbs. (Click Here)

'94 R100GS/PD

'06 F650GSL
Slope'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:54 PM   #12
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,268
Easy job for the DIYer.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:41 PM   #13
The Raven
Banned

Oddometer: 4,813
Quote:
Looking at my Bing diagram, I come up w/ something that's been pretty beat up. Float needle? Needle retainer? Or better yet, wtf!
I'm going with WTF, is the WTF hollow? How was the bike running before you found the WTF?

The closest thing is a piece of the butterfly shaft. But you would notice that. You didn't drop anything in your airbox did you?
The Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #14
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,087
Quote:
Where exactly did it fall from?
From within the carb, from the air intake?
Looks like some sort of locating dowel?
boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:03 PM   #15
BrokenR80RT OP
But I'll fix it.

Thanks Raven, et al.

The bike was running fine pre-accident. It had a backfire in the right bank at shift points, but plenty of power. Idle is still fine after I got rid of all the smoke/oil from laying it down. It still poofs black smoke from the right bank after a rev + throttle off. Engine noise is normal with minimal mechanical rattles. If I had to pick the louder side of the engine I'd say the right where this wtf was found, but it is not radically different from cylinder to cylinder. Bike history is 2 PO's, 46+ original kilomiles. Never tore it apart when I first got it. I had it barely a couple of months before. Then the rebuild process began (body -n- bike).

WTF is not hollow. It's just a solid wtf plug. Not having ever touched any of the carb internals, I thought I'd see if someone, anyone could ID this "thing" that was laying between my carb and head intake. It could have been in the intake for years and just got jarred loose when I laid it down on it's right side- gravity.

Plan of action but not this weekend because of my son's swim meet and the Super Bowl:

I'm about to replace my rocker covers and reset my lash. I'll go that extra step and remove the head and see if there is any debris in the intake. Inspect valve stems and retainers, shla's (ha, ha), etc. If I cannot see well enough in the intake side of the head, remove the head for a true probe of that cylinder, stare at the piston for a while and check the valve seats and guides for any obvious damage.

Remove the bowl and float and look for any springs or other crap that could be in there. After all of the encouragement I'll do a carb rebuild and see if I find anything- which means order and wait for parts.

I'll cetainly report back too. More advice is always appreciated.