Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2011, 07:42 PM   #1
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

Oddometer: 313
The Saga of Sportsman Matt and the Big Ruckus

OK, so here goes....

Years ago I used to ride dirt bikes, borrow a bike from a friend and ride, back in the days when as long as you weren't bothering anyone, no one noticed, and no one bothered you having your fun.

Then time passed and I was on a camping trip back in October of '10, and one of my fellow camping enthusiasts brought along a couple 50cc scooters with the 125cc engines installed. We rode for 3 days around Salem, had a blast and fun.

Then In November of '10, I bought one of my own, a 06 Shanghai Meitian MT50QT-2 50cc scooter with a blown engine.

Now not being unskilled in mechanics, I bought a new engine, tore it down along with the old engine, and rebuilt it into a 82cc powerplant for the little red scooter.

But I just wasn't satisfied. So I decided I would look at motorcycles or larger scooters. I got lots of info on 250cc motorcycles, and visited several dealerships along the way.

Then by chance I met a salesman named Brad from Parkway Cycle at the Motorcycles, Midgets, and Mayhem Tour Motorcycle Expo in RI. He asked if I would be willing to take a trip up to Everett,MA to look at what he had for inventory.

So after several failed attempts, I made it up there to look originally at a 2006 Kymco Xciting 250. I wasn't too impressed, it was just a little oversized for me and there was a concern with a health condition I have developing, something I know will affect my riding in the future.

So I looked around and saw the 2011 Honda Ruckus, a cute red machine, but only 50cc. Then I saw the Yamaha Zuma. Those dual headlights on those scooters just scream out "come ride me, and bring the 30-30 so we can jack a deer tonight!" It's just cool looking. Then I mentioned the fact that I liked the Ruckus but was looking for a Big Ruckus, something that was very rare to find in the area.

Ss Brad told me to follow him upstairs into the motorcycle loft.

There it was... a 2006 Honda Big Ruckus with 4k on the odometer.

So we made the deal, a couple more trips and that Saturday I brought it home from the dealer.

Then Saturday I remembered how tough it was to keep a bike level on snow. Sunday wasn't much better.

And today I have the tag for it. (Downfall was $325.94 for sales tax, title, and registration....glad I only have to pay the title and sales tax on it once)

Now I'm sitting here, thinking about my new BR, thinking about the trips I will take, and the accessories I'll need to make my adventuring life easier.

More to come......
Sportsman Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:45 PM   #2
windburn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Way to go!

Sportsman Matt, your going to have a Blast!
windburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:49 PM   #3
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,937
Whew. You scared me. When I read the "Then I remembered how hard it is to keep a bike level in the snow...." I thought something bad had happened.

Congrats on the bike. Looking forward to some cool RR when the weather breaks.
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

Thanks guys, I wasn't trying to scare anyone with the snow riding, but that's what's so much fun about it. back when I was young and stupid (yes kids there was a time in life when people were young, and the stupid part, well just take my word for it, as most people forget to grow out of the stupid part) I used to take dirt bikes out in the snow with a couple buddies, we would do stuff like, see who could ride the edge of the snow bank the farthest at 25mph, or do donuts in the snow, or see who could make it up over the top of the snow pile fastest. Not the brightest thing to do as a teenager, but it sure was fun at times, plus two things. 1) if you actually did it without bodily harm, you were a god. 2) if you wiped out and crashed, you were ok, but talked about for months later (...remember when dufus tried jumping the snow bank and hit the side of the barn... or remember when dippy was riding and went end for end off the ridge into the stream that happened to be warmer than the air by about 2 degrees....)

I was lucky, I didn't wipe out anything then, and came close twice with a little rear tire wagging in the hardpack, but the BR did just fine.

Now the trick is to get it to the shop for an inspection sticker next week.
(although the lady at the MADOT told me that she didn't want to see me out riding or worrying about the sticker until spring)

Sportsman Matt screwed with this post 02-05-2011 at 07:20 PM Reason: spelling
Old 02-05-2011, 01:25 AM   #5
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,482
Now you can haught the total ruckus website. cool
Old 02-05-2011, 10:13 AM   #6
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Wow, I LOVE your Big Ruckus! You look great on it, it fits you very well!
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:18 PM   #7
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

Thanks btcn, I'm looking foreward to running it this spring.

Looking at storage, looking into a bag for the front rack and either a set of saddlebags for the back or a duffle bag I can strap down.

So many ideas, so much to play with. Also planning out a couple trips with the fishing gear.

Scary part is after buying the Big Ruckus, I want to add a shiny 2011 red 50cc Ruckus to the garage also. Maybe in 2 years, after I pay off the Big Ruckus and the travel trailer.

At least insurance wasn't bad, $98.00 a year for the Big Ruckus on top of my regular truck insurance policy.

Looking at Monday morning, dropping the truck cap off again, loading the Big Ruckus into the truck bed, and going down to see the local shop for an Inspection Sticker.

Sure glad it's rain tonight and not snow up here.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:49 PM   #8
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,884
I had a clapped out BR for a while and had fun with it. It's an attention getter. The riding position was hard on my butt and back though.

Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:40 PM   #9
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
I had a clapped out BR for a while and had fun with it. It's an attention getter. The riding position was hard on my butt and back though.

Wow! Thats moving pretty well at 75 MPH. What speed does Big Ruck really top out at?
Old 02-08-2011, 08:38 AM   #10
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

Well I got out to ride yesterday, and now I'm legal with both the inspection and the registration stickers (registration is until December, the inspection is May 31, 2012)

Nice riding, got up to 60/62 MPH on the highway, cruised at 50 MPH, but having just the half shell and glasses was a might chilly on the face up here in MA.

But the 16 miles was fun, a little cold riding, but very very relaxing and fun.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:57 AM   #11
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,937
Matt - Plan your trip now for a ride down south. Bet that BR will be sweet on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Down to the Dragon and the Cherohola Skyway.
Lot's of good folks over that way would be happy to show you around!
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:56 PM   #12
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,945
Hiya Matt

I really enjoyed reading your tale of discovery leading to buying your "Big Ruckus" ...a machine which I`ve never seen before.

It looks great fun and it really suits you.

Hoping you have miles of smiles on it and I`m looking forwards to seeing some travel photos from your dream rides aboard it.

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:45 AM   #13
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
Wow! Thats moving pretty well at 75 MPH. What speed does Big Ruck really top out at?
That was a downhill, down wind, throttle pinned, WOT run.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:20 AM   #14
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
That was a downhill, down wind, throttle pinned, WOT run.

Really? 75 MPH is the top speed? I thought it shared the same motor as the Reflex, and its supposed to top out at 80-85 MPH. Maybe aerodynamics or gearing? But still, that is plenty for almost all riding. So it can cruise just fine at 65 MPH, which is enough for most highway riding.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:20 PM   #15
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

Same motor, different gearing in the rear. But the nice part is the torque. I got up to 60/62 MPH, but it was cold out and the engine wasn't fully warmed up, probably could have done 75 if it weren't for the wind and my bulk acting like a wind brake on the road. Of course having the seat up made it pleasant to ride, but kept me upright so I wasn't able to pull a Rollie Free (I'm sure the locals and the local PD were glad I wasn't trying to do a Rollie Free, I'm sure my physique would probably land me a gross lewdness charge or similar)

Was charting out a trip to the White Mountains of NH sometime this summer, trying to figure out how to make it an overnight trip but I need to wait to see who is taking what for vacation time this year.

Also planning a trip to Dogtown MA, one of the last ghost towns in MA, up around Gloucester and Cape Ann.

Don't think I'm quite ready for the Dragon yet, maybe next year.

Picked up some stainless steel hardware to replace the license plate hardware, and some new body panel fasteners for the battery box and electrical cover also. Hope to get them in by the weekend, maybe.