Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2011, 03:51 PM   #16
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Oh, okay, that makes plenty of sense. The finial reduction gears are a bit shorter? Thats simple, so if you ever want more top end just swap out the reduction gears with Reflex gears and there you go! But that should be just fine for now. Also note that with smaller displacement bikes you have to give them some time to get up to top speed.
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:11 PM   #17
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

Oddometer: 313
Well it's been an interesting couple of days.
First I've RSVP'd the Twisted Touring club up here in MA, they are doing a MA/VT/NY day ride on May 28th. I'm planning on attending, provided I can get time off from work.

Then I was looking at some really cool bags for the BR. Problem with them is that the manufacturer warns not to use them on painted surfaces as the texture of the bag material acts like sandpaper when riding. Too bad because they looked really cool.

And the Rider Course I need to take for my 10% discount on the insurance and to obtain my Class M endorsement on my license, is going to cost $279 and I can take it during the week, not just the weekend. So I'm planning on as early in April as I can get scheduled right now.

And the Meitian just needs to be jetted, but until I get it out of the basement, that will have to wait until April also (and I know there will be some pressure from my 68 year old father to take it for a spin after it's set up)

So far life is good, now just waiting for the snow to melt off, the sand and salt to be washed off the roadways, and the pavement to dry off. Then I'll be riding.
Sportsman Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:51 PM   #18
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

WTF Sportsman Matt....WTFRU?

OK, I'll admit I should have been on this thread earlier.....

First, the girlfriend was extremely happy I spent February 14th with her. of course because of work, the next February 14th on a Sunday or Monday won't be until 2016, so she's happy for now...and you know if she isn't happy, well.....

So I was a busy boy this week, the temperatures started to climb in the area, so I took a ride Wednesday for a 1/2 mile down to the traffic lights in the next town and back. Thursday I did even better, I went to Autozone (not on the bike) and picked up some new panel fasteners. Problem was Honda used 5mm plastic rivets to hold the panels together. I had drilled them out and used 1/4" panel fasteners with removable phillips head screws (all plastic of course) Replaced the 3 under the seat over the electrical and 2 on the side body panels as shown in the pic below:

So with the panels now secured, I decided to take a ride today, rode up to the local lumber yard, then the post office, then back past the house to Stop and Shop for some Motts Apple Juice Boxes for my nephew (he's 4) So with 1-1/2 hours of riding in, I felt really good today.

Now notes to self....storage bags, storage, storage, storage. Sucks trying to keep a 12 pack of juice boxes inside your jacket without losing them on the highway. Gotta work on the storage....

Also April 4th and 5th I'll be in the Basic Rider Course mandated by the Kommonwealth of Taxachusetts so I can 1) get my MC endorsement on my license to ride at night, and 2) 10% off my insurance for "driver training"

More to come, but the temps are going to drop over the next couple days with more snow and rain, so riding may be over for a couple weeks until the weather improves.....
IBA Member#48125 IBA Flag#1084 LDR Member# 432
2013 Victory Judge
I'm a man, and I can change, if I have, to I guess
Old 02-23-2011, 10:16 PM   #19
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

Cold Riding Today

I'm either a really tough rider or too dense to realize how cold the wind chill factor gets out on the road.

I started the morning, a balmy 24 degrees F, with uncovering the Big Ruckus to see if the battery was affected by the cold over the last couple days. So I did what any ADV folks would do. I started it up, let it warm up to proper operating temperature, then hopped on to drive around the driveway and yard (can't let it just sit and idle)

So I grabbed the half shell, and took off for the Post Office.

Plan sounds reasonable so far...yea..right.

So I get up to speed, and then realize the little bit of extra stinging in the exposed points of skin on my face (still haven't ordered the faceshield yet) So I slow down. Still stinging. Slow down some more, less stinging. Look at speedometer, feel embarassed....20 MPH.

Damn this is a long ride....finally get to post office (flipped off A-hole in Ford SUV who was not content with following me past Police Station in 20 MPH Zone...never a cop around when this crap happens)

So I get to the Post Office, and lo and behold a warm sight to see.....

An Aerostich catalogt and a notice for a package....
And the package was.....
The Timeless Catalog from Touratech.

So I packed my mail into a plastic bag and stuffed it in the tool box on the side of the Big Ruckus, and rode back, this time ignoring the pain, just to get back inside to read the catalogs I just got. (And thaw my face out)

Still haven't gotten the storage issue solved, but for now I'm thinking waterproof saddlebags which I can take inside with me when I'm not on the Ruck.

(Pics coming....posted this with the phone with 4 degrees F by morning)
2013 Victory Judge
Old 03-04-2011, 03:27 PM   #20
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

Officially classed as.....

A Battlescooter!

Sort of fitting, seeing that the Honda Big Ruckus looks like a military type of ride.

Add in the new HJC Black IS-MAX BT Modular XL helmet (not available in camo yet) and a good sized order to Aerostich today, and I should be partially ready for spring.

Still trying to decide, Ammo Cans or saddle bags? Ammo cans would be the ultimate in cool, just need to repaint them to match the bike. The saddle bags would be cool too....just not as cool as Ammo cans.

Also with my Battlescooter order, I got 2 Silver bullet Exhaust Gaskets and a up-Jet kit for the carb, thinking of doing the KN filter later this spring.

So far I've riden it for a few short trips back and forth from the house to the post office and supermarket, waiting for the next warm spell (above 32 degrees for a high) The only killer Tuesday March 1st, was the wind was gusting out of the west at 30 MPH, so I didn't notice it riding to the Post Office, but sure felt it on the ride back.
2013 Victory Judge
Old 03-04-2011, 03:44 PM   #21
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Nice! Oh, and you should read TheReaper's! report on the Big Ruckus. There is a link he provided on the thread want to know more about Yamaha Morphous due to our thread jacking. Here is his link:

http://www.phpbbplanet.com/hondaelit...ondaelite250ow

He says the BR rides pretty bad fully stock, but with a few basic mods like CVT, Upjet, shocks, etc the Big Ruckus is one hell of a scoot.

He shows you the mods to buy as well, and it sounds like it makes a huge difference.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:57 PM   #22
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

Definately a good link, I've read Reaper's reports over on the Total Ruckus forums also.

Right now the issue for me is time....or lack of time to be exact.
Add in the fact that under the MC Permit I got from the RMV, I can't ride after dark, can't have passengers, but if I was on my little 50cc scooter, I could ride anytime and have a passenger....messed up isn't it?

Definately no a hijacking, but good info. Goals for this summer on the Big Ruckus modifications are:

1) Storage
2) Rear Shock
3) Up-jetting the Carb and KN Filter
4) New Sneakers...Kenda K761s for both on and off road riding.
5) Fold Over Bar End Mirrors
2013 Victory Judge
Old 03-04-2011, 07:31 PM   #23
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsman Matt View Post
Definately a good link, I've read Reaper's reports over on the Total Ruckus forums also.

Right now the issue for me is time....or lack of time to be exact.
Add in the fact that under the MC Permit I got from the RMV, I can't ride after dark, can't have passengers, but if I was on my little 50cc scooter, I could ride anytime and have a passenger....messed up isn't it?

Definately no a hijacking, but good info. Goals for this summer on the Big Ruckus modifications are:

1) Storage
2) Rear Shock
3) Up-jetting the Carb and KN Filter
4) New Sneakers...Kenda K761s for both on and off road riding.
5) Fold Over Bar End Mirrors

Yep, those are some good mods. Do you also find the transmission to be an issue like he does?

I agree that the restrictions suck with a motorcycle permit. But its better than needing someone with you like you do with a car permit! But its weird, with a MC permit you CAN'T ride at night, but with a car permit you have to have driven at least 20 hours to upgrade to your license in 6 months!
Old 03-04-2011, 07:50 PM   #24
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

Yup, pretty f'd up with the permits in this state. A learner's permit for a car requires someone 21 or older in the vehicle and no driving between 12AM and 5AM....WTF?

No issues with the acceleration or top end with the belt drive on mine yet. Of course it would be nice for a little more top speed uphill, but 65 MPH in a 50 MPH going uphill dragging my 235 lb frame with it isn't too shabby. I do notice I do end up WOT sometimes, mostly when accelerating at higher speeds, but I haven't seen any delay or sluggish acceleration that some Big Ruckus owners have reported.

April 4th and 5th is my schooling, nice part is Daylight savings starts next weekend, so class is 9AM to 6PM on the 4th and 5th, it gets dark around 7 PM, and I have to be off the roads by 7:30 PM. As long as it isn't pouring rain, I'll be riding the hour commute up and back for both classes. Then Wednesday April 6th, if I pass the road test April 5th, I get to sit in line at the RMV and get my new license with the MC endorsement.

Part that really stinks about this whole permit thing, is that you only need a driver's license, not a MC license, to drive a 50cc scooter day or night, but if you want to ride anything bigger in the Kommonwealth of Taxachusetts, you need a MC license or MC endorsement on your Driver's license.

And add another order tonight, all new OEM decals for the Big Ruckus, along with an OEM Spark Plug Wrench. Hopefully those will be in by next weekend.

Only thing I need to get now is some ADV stickers (thinking one for the front and one for the rear fender below the license plate)
2013 Victory Judge
Old 03-05-2011, 08:46 AM   #25
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yup, pretty f'd up with the permits in this state. A learner's permit for a car requires someone 21 or older in the vehicle and no driving between 12AM and 5AM....WTF?

No issues with the acceleration or top end with the belt drive on mine yet. Of course it would be nice for a little more top speed uphill, but 65 MPH in a 50 MPH going uphill dragging my 235 lb frame with it isn't too shabby. I do notice I do end up WOT sometimes, mostly when accelerating at higher speeds, but I haven't seen any delay or sluggish acceleration that some Big Ruckus owners have reported.

April 4th and 5th is my schooling, nice part is Daylight savings starts next weekend, so class is 9AM to 6PM on the 4th and 5th, it gets dark around 7 PM, and I have to be off the roads by 7:30 PM. As long as it isn't pouring rain, I'll be riding the hour commute up and back for both classes. Then Wednesday April 6th, if I pass the road test April 5th, I get to sit in line at the RMV and get my new license with the MC endorsement.

Part that really stinks about this whole permit thing, is that you only need a driver's license, not a MC license, to drive a 50cc scooter day or night, but if you want to ride anything bigger in the Kommonwealth of Taxachusetts, you need a MC license or MC endorsement on your Driver's license.

And add another order tonight, all new OEM decals for the Big Ruckus, along with an OEM Spark Plug Wrench. Hopefully those will be in by next weekend.

Only thing I need to get now is some ADV stickers (thinking one for the front and one for the rear fender below the license plate)

Thats stupid with the permits! If they require you to drive at not with a car permit, then why the hell CAN'T you drive at those times when it's dark? I swear some of those law makers are just retarded! They make laws against their own laws!

And with the MC permit, yep it kinda sucks but at least you don't have to have someone with you! And I'd think it'd be more dangerous riding a 50 cc scooter at night with the slow top speed and lead foot cagers!

But it sounds like the BR is working well! Once you get those few mods in it'll be a great ride!
Old 03-09-2011, 11:09 PM   #26
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

Lessons learned on the road Wednesday

Wednesday's ride went ok, 42*F with a 30 MPH wind out of the East. Tried out the new HJC IS-MAX BT Helmet today, fit well, defogged as long as I was moving, and shielded me from the wind chill. So far still haven't gotten over 50 miles on the trip odometer since filling up the gas tank.

So the ride went like this. Rode out to get the mail at the Post Office, then called my father who was at work, invited him to lunch seeing he's out at Noontime, and it was 11:30am, rode out to local HD dealer, got offer to trade in Big Ruckus for HD 1200 Sportster Forty-Eight, looked around a few minutes in parts department, then met my father for lunch. Now riding up to now was into a 30 MPH head wind. After lunch, rode back home, cruised at 55-65 MPH the whole way, with a good tail wind.

Now what I needed to remember....

Wind chill chart for 40 MPH and 70 MPH winds, and my grey workpants are not warm enough for sustained 85 MPH combined wind chill factor, need to wear insulated pants for early summer riding. Also wool socks to keep the feet comfortable.

And remember to open vents on helmet before riding, and crack open visor when stopped to prevent fogging up.

And one last thing...write on thread before going to bed at 2AM ....and try to make sense....
2013 Victory Judge
Old 03-09-2011, 11:43 PM   #27
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,406
100 bucks buys new old stock textile pants for protection and warmth. ironpony.com motorcyclesuperstore.com http://www.motorcyclegear.com/
Old 03-10-2011, 04:36 PM   #28
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

FedEx Finally Came thru!

After 3 years of FedEx having the worse delivery record to my father's house (Finally they got a new driver who would actually drive out to this end of town whether he has one package or a hundred packages....)

They finally delivered my Aerostich order!

So here in the box I got a new Mr Happy puppet (for agravating the girlfriend at times) a new flashlight, a new screwdriver (phillips and slotted), the Dynaplug tubeless repair kit, some "if found unconscious" stickers for the helmet and a co-worker, and a couple books (Early MC construction and repair, Adventure MC Handbook, MC camping made easy).

Now with one order received, Still 3 more out there, one was shipped today (OEM Decals for the Big Ruckus and a OEM Sparkplug Wrench) and one I am really waiting for (ADV stickers)

Also put together the new ramp set I bought from Harbor Freight so I can load the scooters up in the truck bed for trips anytime. 2 steel 9"x6' tri folding ramps with a 500 lb capacity each, 1000 lbs combined (loved the warning about unloading 3 wheeled vehicles with them...basic NO NO!)

Planning out this weekend...Rain Tonight thru Sunday Morning, then cool (upper 30's) temperatures thru Tuesday. So I'm thinking, set up a duffle bag Sunday morning, ride down to the girlfriends place and hang out with the Big Ruckus down there for a couple days.

And before I forget, Thanks for the info fullmetalscooter, but I'll stick with my good ol' flannel lined denim work pants, something I should have had on yesterday rather than the thin cotton work pants I wear most of the time. I was impressed with the HJC helmet though, kept me pretty comfortable, and plenty of visibility behind both the drop down sunshield and the clear face shield.
2013 Victory Judge
Old 03-10-2011, 07:02 PM   #29
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
And remember to open vents on helmet before riding, and crack open visor when stopped to prevent fogging up.
This is one thing I hate about full face helmets. They ALWAYS seem to fog up at slow speed and stops as well as in traffic if their closed. I think it'd be cool to have a breathing tube going out of the helmet!
Old 03-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #30
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

Plotting the course.....

So I'm sitting at home listenin to the news about the 8.9 Earthquake in Japan (I wouldn't wish these things on anyone) when the local weather came on. Forecast is Temps in the 50's, partly cloudy for the next 5 days....

So out came the atlas.... ROADTRIP!!!!

Then I remembered.....WTF....Work tonight and tomorrow.....then that insulation job Sunday Morning.......

So Sunday Afternoon, the plan is leave by 3PM, head north to see my kids for an hour...then head southeast to the apartment in Blackstone. Rest the night there.

Monday, ride over to meet co-worker at McDonalds for late morning McMuffin, take ride for a couple hours, drop off lunch to girlfriend at work (also get her P'd off at me for riding the bike there) Ride some more, then back for dinner at the apartment.

Tuesday, get up, ride back to father's place, change for work, have lunch, park bike, take truck to work.

So plans are in motion, I know I have 3/4 of a tank of gas in the Big Ruckus, 1/3 of a tank in the pickup.

Now just need to master taking pics while riding like The Darth Peach does. Need to remember "Don't Drop The Camera"
2013 Victory Judge