Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2011, 03:09 PM   #31
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

Oddometer: 313
Storage issue partially solved.....

Pics coming tomorrow evening.

Went to the local Honda dealer today, had a nice set of Tourmaster saddlebags, but only in large, and I really need the XL size for the bike to make them fit right. Spoke to the fine folks at the parts desk, they are getting more bags in over the next 3 weeks...

So I decided to do what most Big Ruckus owners do when needing a quick fix for storage.....

Rubbermaid!

Picked up in the automotive department at Walmart the sealable and lockable 8 Gallon Rubbermaid Actionpacker Cargo Box, cost less than $20.00 with the Tax.

Should keep my stuff dry enough for most riding for now, just no passengers with the box on the back.

Pics to come, including tomorrow's ride (too busy working today to get out on the bike before work)
IBA Member#48125 IBA Flag#1084 LDR Member# 432
2013 Victory Judge
I'm a man, and I can change, if I have, to I guess
Sportsman Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:54 PM   #32
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

Sportsman Matt's Weekend Ride......

So I packed up Sunday afternoon for a ride....

No concerns as to where I was going, although I knew where I was staying the night....

So I rode out to one of my favorite fishing spots, Lake Singletary...

Still frozen over. So then I rode out to Blackstone, and stopped on the bridge to shoot this one.....

Water's still flowing fast....

Monday I got up, decided to run a couple towns over for breakfast.....
Stopped for gas....

And then rode off to McDonalds off Route 146A, riding the backroads all the way over......

Then on the way back.....Stopped by the town hall to pay the girlfriend's rather late Excise Tax on her SUV.....

Self Photo before riding home....

And the Big Ruckus sleeping well in it's cocoon for the night......

Tuesday it was too cold to snap pics, but the ride was just an ordinary one, rode home and unpacked, got lunch, and rode in to work for the evening.
2013 Victory Judge
Old 03-18-2011, 07:49 PM   #33
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

Tomorrow's Ride.....

Well I decided a few weeks back to take a 3 day weekend again....
And I decided to RSVP the Twisted Touring Scooter Club for their Opening Day Breakfast tomorrow morning in Marlborough MA, figure the ride would do me good to get out, meet some fellow scooter riders, and the bonus of food is always a good thing. Add in some extra riding time weather permitting, maybe get the little red 50/82cc scooter out for a test run and figure out the jets on the carburator of that rebuilt machine. Worse case I convince myself to do another 3 day ride to anywhere.

So to prepare for this trip, I checked the oil, checked the air in the tires, and did an overall check of everything else (lights, horn, fuel gauge, coolant)

Then I realized that I would be leaving about 1/2 hour after sunrise, and it will probably be about 35 degrees F out, which figures out to equalling to a balmy 19 degrees F at 55 MPH. Not the greatest of temperatures, but that one little spot on my chin gets cold so I went out and bought...

A Turtle Fur Shellacava. Figure the fleece lower should give me a little protection from the turbulence of the wind on the bike. And with that I also bought a set of Tourmaster XL Slanted Touring bags. Mainly because 1) I don't need to haul the Rubbermaid bin for most of my trips...
2) They unzip and come off the bike rather easy for transoprt or security reasons....
3) Will hold a half shell for a passenger, or if I decide to leave the full face at home I still have something.....
4) The size will hold enough clothes for a weekend overnight get-a-way for two, plus my netbook if needed....
5) I can unzip one side and still access the tool box on the Big Ruckus....

Downside....not waterproof, but came with rain covers for each side. Also requires tie down straps to keep from flapping...not too bad considering they are made of reinforced fabric and will fit on the Big Ruckus like they were made for it.

So as I wait the next couple hours to leave work for three days (ok 87 1/2 hours /almost 4 days from the time I punch out tonight to Tuesday at 3 PM when I have to punch back in) all I can think about is getting out and riding. Then I realized one thing I forgot....a way to mount my digital camera to the handlebars for some ride footage, but then this thought added in the issue of vibrations, being at the right angle, and last but not least, bugs hitting the lense and blocking the shot (who wants to see a smeared bug over 50% the video taped?)

So nixing the camera mount for now....just hold it, point and shoot seems to be working fine for now.

More pics coming......
2013 Victory Judge
Old 03-21-2011, 12:33 PM   #34
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

Weekend rides.....

Saturday morning started out rather disappointing. The Saddlebags I bought were the right size, the web mounting wasn't wide enough for the cargo rack on the back, and the bags hung down too far that one would hit the muffler. Bummer. So I threw them on the cargo rack, tied them down with some bingee cords, and started to ride. And it rained briefly. And then it stopped. Then it rained briefly. Then it stopped again. 25 miles later the sun broke the clouds and it warmed up.

So I arrived to Stephen Anthony's Resturant and ordered the Western Omlette with a side of Homemade Maple Sausage....top it off with a chocolate milk and all I can say is delicious and filling.

Then The Twisted Touring Scooter Group went outside for pictures....

Actually got all 6 of us in this pic....

The Big Ruckus...

A Burgman 400 and Vespa 250...

And a VStorm 650... (funny story....Bruce the guy with the VStorm had just gotten there, we were standing around talking, and a bird landed a bomb on his MC seat...disgusting but funny as the birds even knew this was a Scooter Event)

So the group split up, I rode with Bruce back out Route 20 West to Route 19 in Brimfield, then rode 19 down into Stafforville CT, then took a bumpy backroad back into Holland MA, where Bruce and I parted, he headed back to Enfield CT, and I rode up to my sister's place in Holland.

Stopped off at the spillway to Hamilton Reservoir just to see how much flow there was off the lake...

Only problem, no one was home. So as I parked under the deck.....nature started to call.....

My savior, the bushes.....

So I waited a little bit, no cell service there, and no one showed up, so I took off back home on the back roads....
Stopped by the Quinneboag River.....

Sunday I took the Big Ruckus out to get gas, and a bowtie at Dunkin' Donuts, and took the little Red 82cc Scooter out, but the little Red Scooter is a different story....

More rides to come....
2013 Victory Judge

Sportsman Matt screwed with this post 03-21-2011 at 12:48 PM Reason: Adding more stuff like pics....
Old 03-21-2011, 06:25 PM   #35
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Nice! I'm glad your having lots of fun with the Big Ruckus! And great pics!
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:27 AM   #36
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

Thanks, I've been doing some measurements on the saddlebags, and I think I'm going to end up making some custom saddlebag racks that will be easily removable depending on the mood.

Also I've been looking into the camera mounting, and this is going to be a definate for future rides, even if it's just a 1/4" threaded unit to a pipe clamp. Figure some pics while in motion would be cool, I did try a video at low speed an a back road holding the camera, not something I would want to do on a continuous basis.

Hopefully I'll be out this weekend, so another set of pics will be coming.
2013 Victory Judge
Old 03-22-2011, 12:07 PM   #37
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,734
Looks like you're having fun on the Big Ruckus. Nice to see someone else doing ride reports on their scooter. Nice pics.

I carry my camera on a strap around my neck. With a little practice you can get some pretty good pics while riding. I haven't tried to do any videos that way. Here's a pic I took last weekend while riding through deals Gap on my Super 8.

There is a tendency to aim the camera too low when leaned over but if you mount your camera on your scooter, the same thing will tend to happen.

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:17 PM   #38
D0N
Banned

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsman Matt View Post
Now notes to self....storage bags, storage, storage, storage. Sucks trying to keep a 12 pack of juice boxes inside your jacket without losing them on the highway. Gotta work on the storage....

Lack of storage... that's the only thing that would keep my from buying a BR. A helix is just as capable but has a HUGE trunk to keep stuff in.

Maybe you can mount a trunk on the back rack? It looks like those "handles" are in the way though.
D0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:24 PM   #39
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,975
Great stuff,Matt and I`m still enjoying reading about your adventures on that cool bike of yours.

But I wish you`d stop posting.

Every time I see that bike I want one of my own.

Just joking.......please keep updating us.

But I wasn`t joking about wanting a Big Ruckus......I want....I want.....

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:26 PM   #40
DRAGON1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Thank you love the adventure
Old 03-24-2011, 09:43 PM   #41
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsman Matt View Post
Thanks, I've been doing some measurements on the saddlebags, and I think I'm going to end up making some custom saddlebag racks that will be easily removable depending on the mood.

Also I've been looking into the camera mounting, and this is going to be a definate for future rides, even if it's just a 1/4" threaded unit to a pipe clamp. Figure some pics while in motion would be cool, I did try a video at low speed an a back road holding the camera, not something I would want to do on a continuous basis.

Hopefully I'll be out this weekend, so another set of pics will be coming.

Yep, its great your loving the scoot! And I'll tell you one thing, saddlebags/ a rear trunk will be the best mod you'll ever do to your scoot! I've been amazed at what I can carry on mine! I put a BUNCH of tools in mine and a small compressor on my floorboard to go help my friend change his tires!

I use it for EVERYTHING!
Old 03-25-2011, 06:35 PM   #42
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

Thanks. I did readjust the saddlebag webbing in with a little overlap, and found that by going over the top of the rear handles instead of through them, lifted the bags up almost 6" above the exhaust, which is better than right on top of the exhaust, and they still sit at the right angles and look like they were made for it. I just have to figure out where the saddlebag straps are going to be attached, there are 2 quick release straps per side that mount to the frame to prevent "flapping" while cruising.

Working on a mount for the camera, need to get it in a location where I can get to it to start the video or take a pic without having to reach out over the front of the handlebars. Still a work in progress.

On the brighter side of things, my old GMC Truck is losing it's fiberglass "winter" cap permanently. it's too low to fit the Big Ruckus in the truck bed with it on, weighs more than it looks, and color matched the old Chevrolet Truck I had it on previously, which somewhat doesn't match this one (green cap, white truck?) So a new tonneau cover is coming this summer, but before the tonneau cover arrives, the Big Ruckus is going to be riding in the bed for part of this weekend....need the truck in one place and still want to ride when not in the truck....the miracles never cease

More to come......
2013 Victory Judge
Old 03-25-2011, 06:53 PM   #43
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Thats good.

I think one thing you'll find that will be sweet with the Big Ruckus is how easy it will be to strap down in the truck! Scooters lime my Elite have few places to put a strap on, the handlebars have no metal exposed or areas to tie down, and the plastic covers the rest of the scoot. The only place I find is the handles mounted to the fuel tank, but its no good putting to much stress on those.

It'll be hard to find a place where you can put a strap on the BR! The only challenge may be getting it up there, but its not THAT heavy, but its still a pretty big scoot. Sometimes I wish I had one of those low rider trucks with hydraulics! Flick the switch, wheel the bike over the tailgate without a ramp, tie it down, get in, hit the switch again and there you go!

Great reports and keep em comin!
Old 03-26-2011, 03:22 PM   #44
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

OK Spring is officially here....

Thus the two pics.....

My Truck in "Winterized" mode (heavy green fiberglass cap and heavy duty tires on the rear)

And how to effortlessly remove said cap without straining a muscle....

I am sure glad that 60+ years later the old Ford 8N is still in service...

No ride pics today as all I did was ride to the Post Office to get my package from the IBA (Iron Butt Association) the premier issue of their magazine plus the Spring 2010, Summer 2010, Fall 2010, and Spring 2011 issues.

Looks like I'll be busy reading tonight....

On the other side, I did have the Saddlebags on the bike, and I think I have to create a new heat shield for the right side bag as there was a faint smell of melting plastic or rubber when returning home and the bottom of the bag was really warm to the touch, almost uncomfortable. Something to look into tomorrow.
2013 Victory Judge
Old 03-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #45
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

Sunday

A little personalization

But before the personalization, had to give rides around the yard to the daughters...(No Gear At All, of course riding slower than they do on their bicycles)

Smiles are priceless.....
2013 Victory Judge