User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2011, 01:49 PM   #46
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

Oddometer: 313
Monday

SO I get up this morning, got myself a Coke....

Took the Big Ruckus off the back of the truck....

Loaded the Rubbermaid Box for this trip....

Headed south out 114 to 122 to 104 to 146A to 146 to 95

(Sorry no pics came out on this for some reason)

Stopped at Ocean State Harley Davidson in Warwick RI....

Picked up a couple T-shirts to commemorate being there (everyone knows that if you stop at a Harley dealer anywhere other than the next town over you need to buy one to prove you were there)

Stopped at this resturant to recheck my storage box, a bungee had just enough pressure to pop the latch open when I forgot to avoid a pothole....

Several dozen text messages later, I ened up home 115 miles later!

BTW Pigs can fly!
IBA Member#48125 IBA Flag#1084 LDR Member# 432
2013 Victory Judge
I'm a man, and I can change, if I have, to I guess
Sportsman Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:33 PM   #47
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

So the plan was......

So I started out with a plan somewhat over the last couple days....

First do oil change on truck....
Spend weekend with girlfriend, relax for Monday....
Monday 9AM be in class at SM Motorcycle School in Gardner MA.....
Tuesday 9AM complete class at SM Motorcycle School.....
Tuesday by 6PM pass road test at school, get paperwork to get MC endorsement on license.....
Wednesday 8AM wait at RMV to open and get new license with MC endorsement.....

Then Ride the Big Ruckus every chance I get!!!!!

We'll see how this plan goes.

If not go to plan B.....get MC endorsement, do an IBA Saddle Sore 1000 on Big Ruckus, then do an IBA Finland Saddle Sore 1000 in Finland sometime before expiring!
2013 Victory Judge
Old 04-03-2011, 08:20 PM   #48
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

Big day tomorrow, lousy weather....

Going to class at 9AM for my MC endorsement, but the weather so far is rain Monday into Tuesday. So plan is use the truck Monday, and the Big Ruckus Tuesday.

Sure felt like crap not getting out today on the Big Ruckus, but I had places to see and things to do. Add in I was an hour away from the Big Ruckus, not something I like to be away from too long.
2013 Victory Judge
Old 04-05-2011, 04:04 PM   #49
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

Cold, Soaked, and Legal!

The weather out here really bites right now.
Monday it poured. Tuesday it rained even worse.
But I survived the last two days on a Suzuki GZ250 that had seen far better days and more abuse than one can deliver over 2500 miles.
And I passed the SM Motorcycle School Basic Rider Course!

Two days of "rain or rain" riding at an old airstrip, thunder and lightning for a few hours on Monday, cover in an old storage container while the storm passed.

But the important part, the whole group passed and we were the first class in a while that didn't drop a bike either day.

So today I now have my MC endorsement, so I'm 100% legal now!
2013 Victory Judge
Old 04-06-2011, 07:50 PM   #50
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

Start of a good day....

So I got up this morning and forgot to get myself a drink....45 degrees out and sunny.

Grabbed the saddlebags, going to see what I need to do to get them to work. Last time I tried them there was a burning plastic/cooking rubber smell that I couldn't figure out, plus the bottom of the bag was hot.

So I re-laced the bags together, routed them over the passenger handles and under the passenger seat.
Plenty of clearance this time.

Looking good....

Add in the EMS Lunch Box on the front rack and I was ready to roll....

Stopped by one of the few dealers left for this rare breed.....
2013 Victory Judge
Old 04-07-2011, 02:04 AM   #51
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,945
Fantastic Matt.....absolutely!!!

I`m loving the pure simple fun and adventure you`re having with your cool bike.
Something too many folk are missing out on by being too serious and spending way too much money on way too many pointless ans silly gadgets.

You`re capturing the very essence and spirit of riding. Brilliant.

And you`ve now created the ultimate laid back leisure tourer and cruiser by sorting out those side panniers!

Keep it coming mate....this is superb.

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:34 PM   #52
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

One Up Storage for LD Travel

So here's a couple pics to keep you salvating.....

Note: I took these before heading to work today, so the Rubbermaid Bin isn't tied down for the pics, the bin was removed and seat dropped just before riding with the saddlebags.
2013 Victory Judge
Old 04-09-2011, 02:37 PM   #53
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsman Matt View Post
So here's a couple pics to keep you salvating.....

Note: I took these before heading to work today, so the Rubbermaid Bin isn't tied down for the pics, the bin was removed and seat dropped just before riding with the saddlebags.

Nice. I actually like the look of it with those! Looks nice, yet very functional. Keep the awesome pics and ride comin!
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:55 PM   #54
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

Thanks, I forgot to snap pics of the other project I did today, seeing it was 10 feet over from the bike.

Picked up a couple 2x12 8 foot PT planks and attached the aluminum ramp ends to the tops of them to replace the 6' steel trifolds that I keep dropping the bike off of when in the gravel driveway. Pics tomorrow evening on those, plus Tuesday some more ride pics from MA/RI.

Problem I was having with the steel ramps was two things, first because of the tri-fold, the enter and exit at the bottom was at an extreme angle of about 40 degrees for 2 feet, then 30 degrees for 2 feet, then 20 degrees for 2 feet. Second was the length, 6 foot is very short to load and unload a bike, preferably 8 feet or more would be better. And lastly, mud and sand on the tires going onto a steel ramp is a recepie for an accident, luckily the first time the bike landed on the centerstand while loading when it slid off the back, then the second time it slid off when the rear tire hit the dirt and the front tire had to make that transaction from the 30 degree to 40 degree angle, let's just say the front only dropped 18" down to the ground...

So with that, thanks and keep watching, more pics coming.......
2013 Victory Judge
Old 04-12-2011, 10:32 AM   #55
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,315
Another thing to watch for with ramps and pickups is if you hit the front brake too hard coming down you have a good possibility of pulling the ramp right off the truck.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:36 PM   #56
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

Ride Pics

Sunday started out with a cute blonde wanting a ride to her aunt's house....

Then a cute brunette wanted a ride back home from her aunt's house....

(Yup, my daughters want to ride also)

So Sunday night I rode through the dark to the apartment, Monday became "chauffer day" with the GF's Explorer.

So today I took a much needed ride before work....

(took me 10 minutes to take this picture because so many "nice people" would pull over in front of me and ask if I needed help. By the 7th car I was getting P.O.'d big time...but I got the pic)

Stopped as the odometer read 05555.0

View was rather nice when I stopped off RI Route 3

And my stop and turn around spot....

Ocean State Harley Davidson Exeter RI
2013 Victory Judge
Old 04-19-2011, 10:03 AM   #57
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

Sunday's Ride

So it was lousy Saturday night, worked until 11:30PM, drove home in the rain, just one of those lousy evenings.

So I slept in, then I realized at 10:30AM that Jap Bike Mike's Swap meet was already going. So I got up, did my usual morning cleanup and stuff, then looked outside. 60 degrees, Cloudy with the Sun breaking through. Perfect riding weather. So I threw on the jacket, grabbed the helmet bag, and for some odd reason, left the bags at the house, but strapped the raingear bag on the front rack of the Big Ruckus.

So I rode out for lunch to the local place I stop at alot, Ronnie's off Route 31 in Charlton. Downfall to this was a sudden heavy rain started about 2 miles from the place, so when I stopped I grabbed the raingear off the bike and brought it in with me. Glad I did, the rain died down about 5 minutes after I finished my Hot Dog, Fries, and Chocolate Shake. So I suited up in the rain suit, not sure of what would come next. So I rode out, hit the backroads out to the North Brookfield Sportsman's Club.

And I was greeted at the gate by a nice gal who thought I was brave for riding out in the rain, and had me park the Big Ruckus by the other bikes under the trees by the club house.

So I walked around a little, good thing I had waterproof boots on, and bought a Honda shirt from a vendor. After walking around some more, I decided to ride back home, the weather was still raw and wet, drizzling every now and then.

SO I rode south, and stopped at the boat ramp to Quaboag Pond, which was busy considering the wind was putting up quite a chop on the water.

And then I rode further south to Walker Pond over at Wells State Park, saw they repaired the culvert to the boat ramp, and after resting a couple minutes, decided to ride home.
2013 Victory Judge
Old 05-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #58
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

lack of riding.....

Started out Friday by being late leaviong for work, had a fellow on a Hog finally pass me on 20 by the strip club, caught up to him several traffic lights later. Commented on each other's bikes, and I followed him on 290 into Worcester, doing 70-75MPH all the way in. Got to work exactly at 3PM sharp. Not bad.....

Rode home, rolled 6000 miles on the odometer as I stopped in the driveway (sorry no pics)

Saturday I cut down a maple tree in the back yard in the morning, then rode to work again. Only problem, the pavement was grooved, which if anyone knows, MC riders hate grooved pavement as it's inconsistent and often throws odd angles of cuts under the tires, making handling tough.

Sunday, I didn't ride at all, I had to attend the Orange Gun Club's kids Fishing Derby with my daughters. They caught some nice brookies and had plenty of hot dogs, hot chocolate, and fun. Unfortunately I was nursing sleep deprivation and fatigue, so I slept when I got a chance on the ride and then took a nap when I got home.

Monday was beautiful, only problem was I had cut down a maple tree Saturday morning and needed to clean up the back yard, so I proceeded to cut it up, load it into the truck, and haul it over to my uncle's house for him to burn in his stove. By 6PM I had cleared the tree, cleared the brush, de-winterized my travel trailer, and de-winterized my 16 foot boat.

Today I was going to ride, but the cable guy showed up to hook up the cable and high speed internet. So another day shot, add in tomorrow I'll be taking the truck to work because of thunderstorms and my partner at work has a bunch of rough sawn white cedar boards he's giving me, not something I can put on the Big Ruckus. Thursday is predicted to rain, on Cinco de Mayo, so more of a reason to drink up as I won't be riding due to the weather.... Hopefully next weekend I'll get out and ride.
2013 Victory Judge
Old 06-06-2011, 01:21 PM   #59
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

back online for now

Well it's been a busy few weeks. Not much time to ride but I did get some riding in between rain days. (I don't like downpours all day)

Plus had to do some repairs to the Big Ruckus, the mirror broke off at the pivot on the back of the mirror head, three days before my 3 state ride.
Add in ordering and re-ordering front brake pads from BikeBandit.com, a company I will never buy from again, they sent the wrong pads twice, first was for the 50cc Ruckus, and second were the EBC HH Sintered with only one Sinter not the 3 that the OEM pads had.

So with that, I got out to ride Saturday May 28th.
met up with Joe from Twisted Touring, rode from Worcester MA over to Holden MA, picked up 68N to Hubbardston MA, stopped for breakfast, rode into Gardner and up to 140N to 12N to 202N into NH. Then Rode 202N to 119W in Rindge NH, took 119W to Brattleboro VT, took 5N to 9W to Bennington VT rode up th the Revolutionary War Monument, then rode 7S to Mt Greylock, rode up and down Greylock, picked up 2 in North Adams, took 2E to Greenfield MA, stopped at Friendly's for dinner, and then rode back 2E to 122S into Worcester, then parted ways with Joe at Main St Worcester, then took 290W to 146S to RI to meet the girlfriend at one of her co-worker's wedding receptions. What a ride, approcximately 350 miles total that day.

And the pics.

At Cumberland Farms in VT for gas and a rest stop.

Top of Hog Back Mtn.

These Oblisks appeared every so often along the Molly Stark Byway.

Joe in the parking lot in front of the monument

Top of Greylock

The large Indian on the Mohawk Trail (Route 2)

After Saturday, went off to Pittsburg NH with the truck chasing Trout and Salmon, and returned Friday to find a tornado went through the neighboring towns and was about 6 miles form my house while I was gone.

And I have a new OEM mirror on the way also, ordered it at noontime today from the Honda Dealership in Woonsocket RI
2013 Victory Judge
Old 06-06-2011, 11:40 PM   #60
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,945
Cheers Matt....I enjoyed that.
I`m always quite excited to see a new post from you so I can check out the Big Ruckus again!

Good to read that you`re still having fun and adventure on that great bike of yours.
Heh heh...you did more miles in that one 350 mile day than a lot of my so called 'biker' friends might do in a month.

P.S.
I`m one step nearer to my goal of owning a Big Ruckus myself one day.
I bought a manual!

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote