Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #1801
MastuhWaffles
Master of Waffles

Oddometer: 13
Oh yeah, if you go to yamaha parts, they still have the diagrams for everything as well as some new parts. But does anyone know where I can get the original chain guard for cheap? Everyone want's $100 bucks for them.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:45 PM   #1802
MrParty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBWheel View Post
The manual that came with my bike had a service manual from a 86 electric included, if you just need a couple pages I can scan and send them to you.
Thanks for the offer. Appreciate it. I just downloaded the Service Manuals for all Yamaha Big Wheels from

http://www.mybikemanual.com/shop/yam...nual-download/

It was 12 Dollars. Pretty cheap. Can print it or put it on your iPad. Good stuff.
MrParty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:10 AM   #1803
RWBWheel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhWaffles View Post
Oh yeah, if you go to yamaha parts, they still have the diagrams for everything as well as some new parts. But does anyone know where I can get the original chain guard for cheap? Everyone want's $100 bucks for them.
Have you checked the yahoo group? I think several there don't check in here much and I saw a posting of someone making a good replica out of all steel and selling them I think.
RWBWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #1804
polarice
Former Ice Pirate

Oddometer: 188
New Project

Just picked this up from the local humane society donation site. Old guy had it picked up at his home, provided the key and the 1975 dated title for it. I'm crossing my fingers they will let me keep the 1972 plate. 1900 miles or so.

I didn't know where else to share my 2 stroke madness other than here. So... Now I have something to do this winter.

polarice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #1805
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Oddometer: 703
Polarice,

You've come to the right place for fat-tired foolishness. The more, the merrier.

I am so glad that the closest RV90 that has appeared on CL has been 6 hours away. Otherwise, there would be yet another project in the shed, demanding time, money and attention.

Keep us updated with your progress.

MastuhWaffles,

#69 Chain Case assembly is $66.46 on the Yamaha Sports Plaza site:

http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oem...8fc5/swing-arm

That is the cheapest that I have found. There is one on ebay for $99 though.

BTW: The rear tire on your bike looks immaculate. You could sell that on ebay and pay for all of the other parts you need and a nice vacation.

I can say that with certainty since somebody just spent $155 for a NOS tail light on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Yamaha-t...66ae49&vxp=mtr

The bidding was fierce. I'm just glad to learn that the economy has fully recovered.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #1806
MastuhWaffles
Master of Waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. BigWheel View Post
Polarice,

You've come to the right place for fat-tired foolishness. The more, the merrier.

I am so glad that the closest RV90 that has appeared on CL has been 6 hours away. Otherwise, there would be yet another project in the shed, demanding time, money and attention.

Keep us updated with your progress.

MastuhWaffles,

#69 Chain Case assembly is $66.46 on the Yamaha Sports Plaza site:

http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oem...8fc5/swing-arm

That is the cheapest that I have found. There is one on ebay for $99 though.

BTW: The rear tire on your bike looks immaculate. You could sell that on ebay and pay for all of the other parts you need and a nice vacation.

I can say that with certainty since somebody just spent $155 for a NOS tail light on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Yamaha-t...66ae49&vxp=mtr

The bidding was fierce. I'm just glad to learn that the economy has fully recovered.
Wow, I do need a tail light, but I don't know about one for $150. That rear tire is actually new, the original tire got torn up, and my grandpa put on that new one before it got stuffed in the barn. I believe it's a Dunlop, but not sure, are they hard to find now or something? Still the chain guard for $66 is quite expensive for a piece of plastic, I feel like the tin can has better value.

MastuhWaffles screwed with this post 11-21-2013 at 10:07 PM
MastuhWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:33 AM   #1807
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Oddometer: 703
The tires were originally made for the BWs exclusively by Dunlop. They made a supply of them that have been depleted, like many of the BW parts. They now command ridiculous prices on eBay.

Your tin can actually does provide a lot of function. The Yamaha chaincase does provide a little bit more protection if you ride like Ryan Villipoto and occasionally stuff your boot into the running gear at the back of the bike.

If it makes you feel better: the Yamaha chaincase does have a piece of steel in it. Anything on a BW is going to have a piece of steel attached to it just to ensure the vehicle weight is over 300 lbs. Guaranteed.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:19 AM   #1808
yupper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
I'm sure this has been asked a few times on this thread in the past, but I'll ask again for the sake of redundancy:

What were the original tire types on the BW 200 and 350? I'm pretty sure of the fronts on the 350 were KT 646s (have two of these in pretty good shape, one with a lot of cracks on my parts bike), but not sure of the rear (currently have ITPs on the 350s, received 4 new/near new KT 647s and some sand paddles with the bike/part lot).

And the follow up question:

What are some better riding currently manufactured tires that will fit stock wheels for these beasts? Looks like most people are interested in fitting different (usually bigger) tires on the BWs; I hope to keep one of the 350s pretty stock, and try some of the thread-suggested mods with the other (which already has has a 250R front end and a beefy Edelbrock carb).

Thanks!

PS- I think I answered my own question regarding BWs on the ATV trails; can have more, but not full access with a BW if it's made street legal. The DNR officer let me know in order to ride all of the ATV trails, the OHV has to be manufactured with 3 or more wheels- if that's not an invitation for a Missile conversion project in the future, I don't know what is!

Have a great day!
yupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #1809
-sawyer
n00b

Oddometer: 6
If you are looking for a tail light lens that comes close to original you may check out a blaster lens. I took one and cut it down and drilled a couple holes and it looks near perfect. Ill see if I can get a picture.
-sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #1810
DEAVER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
kingpin bushings

I realize this isn't the correct forum but I have a Honda trx 70 that has worn kingpin bushings, top is sleeve style and bottom is sleeve flanged. both are metric od 21, ID is 17 for the flanged and 15 for the sleeve (NO FLANGE) Honda doesn't make these anymore. I contacted a number of bearing companies in Canada and the US with no luck. And as this forum is used to dealing with these issues and some members live outside north America I figured i'd give it a try. thanks.

rod
DEAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #1811
MastuhWaffles
Master of Waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. BigWheel View Post
The tires were originally made for the BWs exclusively by Dunlop. They made a supply of them that have been depleted, like many of the BW parts. They now command ridiculous prices on eBay.

Your tin can actually does provide a lot of function. The Yamaha chaincase does provide a little bit more protection if you ride like Ryan Villipoto and occasionally stuff your boot into the running gear at the back of the bike.

If it makes you feel better: the Yamaha chaincase does have a piece of steel in it. Anything on a BW is going to have a piece of steel attached to it just to ensure the vehicle weight is over 300 lbs. Guaranteed.
Lol! Yeah, I rode the bike around with the tin can off of it for awhile, because it kinda bends into the chain and makes an annoying noise, and I really only hit it once with my boot, only because I didn't realize how close it was to the pegs, but I never hit it again after that. And wow, I did look up the tires, and wow they are crazy expensive, but I think I'll be keeping mine, it has really good performance in the mountains.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #1812
Röhrich
big wheel freak

Oddometer: 100
Very nice Rv90J.
I became a big wheel freak because of that little suzuki Rv90J 1972 bike.
I bought one in Den Haag 4 years ago and worked on it since then. I hope that I can finish that project this years. These little bikes are just awsome!

Regards,

Röhrich

Röhrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #1813
MrParty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Anyone know what's included in the BigWheel Toolkit that comes with the bike? Anything special in there I would need?
MrParty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #1814
BWSwamper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Key tool...

The original kit had a special tool for adjusting the primary drive chain. That's the only really special tool, though it is nice to have the shock preload wrench.
BWSwamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:38 PM   #1815
supertarmac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Röhrich View Post
Very nice Rv90J.
I became a big wheel freak because of that little suzuki Rv90J 1972 bike.
I bought one in Den Haag 4 years ago and worked on it since then. I hope that I can finish that project this years. These little bikes are just awsome!

Regards,

Röhrich

supertarmac is offline   Reply With Quote